Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#922213 12/11/23 05:59 PM
Ecc2ca Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hi folks, what names have you chosen for your custom characters or your Dark Urge? I’m kind of hoping to get some ideas as I’m brainstorming names right now. I’ve used “Lohsille” and “Celeste” previously but super curious to see what other folks have come up with.

Ecc2ca #922216 12/11/23 06:06 PM
J
J
I'm afraid I've been quite lazy and just used fantasy name generators for most of my characters. I settled on Nedni for my Halfling Paladin. One of my default fantasy RPG characters has always been called Roxy Magic (Roxy was short for some ridiculously long name but I can't remember off the top of my head what it was).

Last edited by JPCoutelier; 12/11/23 06:14 PM.
Ecc2ca #922219 12/11/23 06:12 PM
W
veteran
veteran
W
Mine is named Peter, as it is a deliciously unassuming name for a psychotic murderer.

Ecc2ca #922223 12/11/23 06:23 PM
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
My first character was a tiefling rogue/sorceror called Xaxaya (just liked the way it sounded and felt it was a bit infernal), and my current one is a halfling jack-of-all-trades paladin/cleric of Oghma called Sophy (which feels like a good, honest halfling name, but as a suffix derived from Greek can mean knowledge or wisdom so seemed apt even if that's only on Earth and not Toril smile). I tend not to bother coming up with last names for my characters, as finding even one I'm happy with is usually difficult enough.

I also started a Durge run and just left the name as "The Dark Urge" (which was then used by the narrator in the intro), but haven't got off the nautiloid with him. I liked the idea he didn't even remember his name, but it'll be cool if leaving the default does mean it gets used by the narrator and others throughout.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Ecc2ca #922228 12/11/23 06:39 PM
D
addict
addict
D
I have a lot of characters named Tav.

Ecc2ca #922231 12/11/23 07:04 PM
stranger
stranger
My current character is named Drowidia. You can probably figure out what class and race she is. laugh

Ecc2ca #922250 12/11/23 07:55 PM
old hand
old hand
I like short names like my own. The character from my previous PT was called Mel. For some reason I don't like Tav.
My current drow DU character is called Eklavdra, which was the name of the evil Drow leader in the AD&D modules D,G and Q.

Ecc2ca #922252 12/11/23 07:59 PM
Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
I have been using names I used in various DnD campaigns over the years.

Ecc2ca #922263 12/11/23 08:50 PM
veteran
veteran
I often use names, I used before in pen & paper games.
My first character, a halfling lore bard, was called Mirabelle Layne, after my gnome artificer.
My first Durge, a Seldarine drow rogue/sword bard, is called Suri Mena, after a Star Wars character of mine, who was a rogue and smuggler and became a jedi later (I found it fitting, since Suri is resisting and already had her great moment in act 3 and can now basically become a jedi)
My gith mage Tav is called Liral - there I researched a bit, since I'm not familiar with gith and Liral was a name, I found somewhere online and I liked it.
My tiefling Durge, a storm sorceress, is called Eleni, which is greek and means sun ray. I thought, that she tries to cling to her sanity with positive thoughts and found that name kind of fitting.
And my gnome Durge, a rogue/dragonborn sorceress, is called Lavinia Foxglove - she is a forest gnome and I like that name for a forest gnome - and then I remembered the background of the Durge and thought, that someone had a sense of humour naming her that, because
she probably has never lived in a gnome settlement. As I understand, Durge was born into the Bhaal 'community' , being a Bhaal essence
(people, who haven't finished Durge playthrough - don't read)

And then I made another DnD character of mine, I'm currently playing in a campaign: Liya Tana, a wood half elf lore bard/archfey warlock (pact of the Chain - I will need the pseudodragon mod for that, since she has a pseudodragon as familiar, her patron is also a good entity)

Inspiration fo my names, I often get online, from books or just making them up on the go.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Ecc2ca #922350 13/11/23 07:06 AM
old hand
old hand
I generally always use the same names for all the games I play lol. Not sure if you can count that as being lazy or just liking the names but yeah.

So for example my first character for DAO was a light brown haired female berserker warrior that focused on 1h and shield. Tried to match up a name that would fit the theme of the character or just the character period. After that I just used the same name for any female 1h and shield warrior : /

good luck

oops almost forgot google names with meanings, I did use baby name websites for mmos a reaaally long time ago.

Last edited by fallenj; 13/11/23 07:10 AM.
Ecc2ca #922356 13/11/23 09:22 AM
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Pwnzone . Cause he Pwns everyone on his way

Ecc2ca #922357 13/11/23 09:24 AM
P
addict
addict
P
I've used various names for characters, sometimes I use a generator, but more often i use Behind the Name, to look for names with these or meanings that correspond with the theme of the character. I often lean towards using star names, or astronomy-themed names. but my Durge character was called Leetii, which is just latin.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by mousestalker
My current character is named Drowidia. You can probably figure out what class and race she is. laugh
LOL!
I take it that she used to have a big nose but Daddy bought Powerful Magiks to make it dainty? And is attracted to men of wealth and power?
:P

In my case it as spur of the moment thing - Tava (for a girl), Marrowslurper, Amalariviel, Wolfram, Igor ...

Last edited by Buba68; 13/11/23 09:49 AM.
Ecc2ca #922367 13/11/23 11:13 AM
veteran
veteran
I don't tend to use generators or any external tools. I create characters and let the feel of their name suggest itself to me, as ephemeral as that sounds. I have a large number of familiar characters who make reprisals in various games, but for BG3's EA I created new people to help me test - several of you have met a bunch of them already, as part of my feedback threads on models ^.^

There's Kicks Docksward, a young halfling girl who grew up fairly street-rat style in Baldur's Gate. She's a rogue by trade these days, with tan skin, blue eyes and short, messy brown hair. Has been known to revoke people's shin-having privileges, not unlike a certain other mad, small and more famous small person.

Dia, of the White Darkness, is a halfling woman with pale skin and grey eyes, shock white hair, a thin, almost frail-seeming build and something a little bit alien and disturbed behind her eyes. She is a warlock, bound to the White Darkness, an otherworldly entity; it's debatable whether the trauma she escaped from in finding and binding herself to this entity is outweighed by the mind-rending experiences she's had since being bound to it, but you won't hear her complaining.

Vivian, of the Frozen Scintillation, is a male halfling in he early middle ages with light tan skin, an average to stocky build, and thanks to the touch of his patron, bright purple eyes and unnaturally purple hair. He is a warlock, and representative on Toril of the Frozen Scintillation (at lest for now), an otherworldly entity that doesn't really communicate much, or seem to have a conscious sentience that can be comprehended, but power comes, as do occasional compulsions.

Essy Strawlock, female halfling, early twenties with fair skin, blue eyes and messy blonde hair that looks like it was cut with a dagger. She's is built sturdy, and resilient, and tends to dress lightly - usually just a chest ban and leggings. She's a fighter, because she was made before Barbarian was released. She would, otherwise, be a barbarian. She's from a small village, not really marked on many maps, and is venturing from home to bring back stories.

Ava of Lurkwood is a female halfling with dark olive skin, brown eyes and longer, dark brown hair. She is a druid from the Lurkwood, travelling currently to seek answers about a creeping darkness seeping into the edges of her home.

Meerin, no last name that she chooses to use, is a halfling woman in her early thirties. She's a mercenary fighter, more or less, with a few other bits and pieces on the side. She's got light tan skin, green-hazel eyes and short black hair.

Jay-lark is a wild-magic sorceress - it's given her, originally brown, longer hair a light purple colouration and made her eyes swirl in many different colours. She's a halfling girl with tan skin and a build that's a little on the soft and comfortable side of things, for an adventurer.

Linna the Scale-Storm (as she styles herself), is a dragon-blooded sorceress who has yet to find a problem her magic can't solve for her, and it's made her very brash. She's a halfling lady just out of her teens, with pale skin, pale blue eyes and pale silver-blue hair, on a fit and athletic build.

Charlotte Aysee ('Lotta' to her friends) is a halfling woman who, upon being saved on the road from a marauding owlbear by a small group of Tyr devotees, dedicated herself to their service as thanks and has since become ordained as a Paladin in her own right, seeking to repay the good turn done to her and pass it forward to others as often as possible. She is small of build, but generally wears her full armour and has, at times, been mistaken for a dwarf. Out of the plate, she has wild orange-brown hair, fair skin and a fondness for painting her nails.

Wren is one of my existing characters, remade for BG3 when Bard was released. She's only just seventeen - not yet considered adult by halfling standards (who consider the age of maturity 22, and who won't treat you like an adult until you're 30). She's extremely slight, and between her diminutive stature and her bright green eyes and unnaturally red hair, some might identify her as having a touch of pixie in her ancestry (she's also extremely conflict averse, in the core of her being). Wren ran away from home (a small town in the moonshaes) to escape a life that wanted to cage her, and has begun a grand adventure on the mainland... but hasn't worked out how to face her family when she finally returns home.

Swiftriver has dark skin, brown eyes and tightly braided black hair, with a lithe yet still athletic build. She was a foundling, left in the care of a monastic order of Hin Fist practicing in Waterdeep, and was raised in their order. When she came of age, she departed the order to travel the sword coast and see more of the world. As a monk of the Hin Fist, she is, naturally, a halfling.

Woad Dewmirror is a slightly unusual halfling woman, in that she has never really enjoyed social situations. She doesn't feel she understands how they're meant to work, could never learn the rules that others seemed to understand intuitively, and she prefers to avoid dealing with people when she can. In her middle ages, she is lean of build, with olive skin and deep hazel eyes, and lives alone in the woods not too far from her original home settlement, hunting and trapping for herself and occasionally venturing into town to sell hides, meat and other materials. It was only a message from a distant family member that pulled her, nervously, out to a big city on the coast, with every intent to return as soon possible. Things didn't turn out that way.

Miranda Emberglow has brown hair that she keeps meticulously braided in a crown around her head. She has fair skin and blue eyes, and left home because she was dissatisfied with the breadth of lore available to her in her home town, and relying on merchants passing through. To really further her studies of the arcane, she needed a bigger city.

I do make rather a lot of halflings....

Let us not forget Ka'chu'ka, Githyanki Wizzard! The most effective way to Wizzard is with the most excellent Wizzard spells 'Shove' and 'Throw' - no other spells are necessary. Armour is also for weaklings, and anyone joining her party wearing more than underwear is clearly unfit to call themselves an adventurer. She invites all to study the way of the Wizzard with her.

Those are most of my EA characters, used for testing purposes. There were a few others used specifically for testing various scenes with different races, but they weren't properly named or characterised... unless you count Carrotav, human female with bright green skin and bright orange hair.

Last edited by Niara; 17/11/23 09:51 AM.
Ecc2ca #922404 13/11/23 03:49 PM
Bengar ("aloof" power-mongering human warlock)

Bolivar (eccentric half-elf fighter/bard)

Rowana (elf sorcerer with white dragon bloodline)

Those are my only Durge characters

Ecc2ca #922450 13/11/23 07:38 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C
My first character was a Half Wood Elf Ranger.. Tav just seemed kinda "meh" so I made her Tavi instead.

For alts, I didn't want to keep using Tavi because, well Tavi is someone else, y'know? So I started with the class to come up with something thematically appropriate, like Allegra for my Human Bard ("allegro" is a musical tempo), or Briar for my Wood Elf Druid. And when I came up empty on ideas, I used a name generator to find something I liked, then tweaked the names a bit to make them my own, such as my Gith Monk, Ji'lera and my Deep Gnome Rogue Mika.

Ecc2ca #922768 15/11/23 09:27 AM
addict
addict
All I can say is that finding the right name for a new protagonist is always very important for me, in any game, and may sometimes take days.

I've tried name generators from the net but I dont remember ever being actually happy with a name generated this way.

I would definitely never use this strange name "Tav" unless I was for some reason in a real hurry. Or I would simply have forgotten picking a name, but then I'd restart once I notice.

How exactly I come up with a name depends of course on the character I want to play, and I have used very different methods to get to names.

In Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, and games like that, I made a list of reallife names I find pretty, or otherwise interesting, and pick from those.

In fantasy games, one of my strategies is to take a reallife name and change it a bit around. Thats how I think Bioware came up with the name Viconia.

Another strategy is looking up names of specific languages. For example Gaelic names often have good entries. My Halfling has a gaelic name, if I remember correctly. Another language I like for this is greek. Such names usually fit quite well into fantasy.

I wished I knew how Tolkien came up with his names for LotR. They are so cool: Arwen, Legolas, Elrond, Galandiel, Celeborn, Glorfindel ... - how do you come up with such names ? I have no clue.

MMORPGs are a real challenge, because you have to come up with something really original, that nobody else picked before you, and yet you still want a good name.

Ecc2ca #922964 16/11/23 04:03 AM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
My Tiefling is named Azrael, He's based off of my Avernus character same race, same sub-race, same name and same appearance, you get the picture, a campaign My group barely got 2 sessions in, before Covid kind of ruined everything and causing my group to split up and moved away to different parts of the country during the whole thing, I would've like to at least finish it.

Last edited by Sai the Elf; 16/11/23 04:04 AM.
Ecc2ca #923180 17/11/23 06:30 AM
addict
addict
I usually try to name my character with names that wouldn't be considered as "Striper name".

Infinite WingWang.

Last edited by Dext. Paladin; 17/11/23 06:30 AM.

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard