Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
A
Wyll followed by Laezel. Wyll is just... boring. And Lae'zel is so rude at the beginning my headcanon can't wrap around the idea of working with her. TBF Astarion doesn't exactly make a good impression, but at least he's charming.

Halsin's my boy but I understand the hate. They did him dirty in Act 3. I really hope they clean it up like they did Gale's sexpest issues.

C
C
Would've voted Karlach if it was on the list, instead Halsin will have to do

L
L
Shadowheart only because I haven't experienced Halsin yet. I promptly respecced Gale to a Cleric of Mystra and left the unpleasant princess in camp.

S
old hand
old hand
S
For me, it is a tie between Karlach and Halsin.
Karlach because its character is super backward. Sorry but I just can't take seriously that somebody who literally went through hell in the most brutal war of the DnD setting is such a lighthearted and naive character. Her fanbase is also very infuriating, you can't discuss about her without some fanatic treating her like a sacred cow that deserve the best and more. Her not even being present in this poll is really telling.
Halsin because he shouldn't have been a companion at all. He got memed to this role by horny people and as a result, he feels shoehorned in this role. Once his duty is fulfilled in act 2, his only function becomes "the bear sex meme" option. Also he may or may not have taken the place of Helia so we didn't get a small race companion.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Astarion, because everything about him is fake and tryhard.

Especially him being a vampire spawn despite not having any vampiric attributes...

Kudos to the author for putting it as 'least liked' because I can't bring myself to dislike or hate any of them. I liked Halsin a lot, then Act 3 started and I noticed he came on to me in every playthrough regardless of what I did. I wish they expanded on him more, if only to balance out that horniness :c

Minthara bug list, updated for Hotfix #22.
Wyll followed by Minsc (though they aren't listed).

Wyll was so irritating for me because he goes from "I have this interesting thing about me!" To "It's not actually that interesting..." So often that I can't handle him. He's just a big dull dud that has a lot of interesting circumstances happen to him. But because he's a big dull dud, his responses to these circumstances are just...*snore*

Minsc bugs the shit out of me because his whole thing is depending on a gimmick. At least Halsin had a reason to he slightly awkward. Minsc whole this is "I have Hamster. And I talk weird. I am funny." And I'm just like NO, YOURE NOT!

Last edited by vx_phoenix_vx; 20/11/23 03:01 PM.

#JusticeForAstarion
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ixal
Astarion, because everything about him is fake and tryhard.

Especially him being a vampire spawn despite not having any vampiric attributes...

You did not notice his canines and his ruffled shirt?

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Halsin, I don't dislike him, I kind of pity him, since it seems like his writer hated him, he was really good in Act 1, then he gets the shaft once we end up in Act 2 and 3, like his writing goes down hill, It's also inconsistent, does he want a romance or not, he seemed like he was replaced by an imposter between the 1st and 2nd acts.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Um, what about his teeth? Red eyes? Super pale skin and a bite mark on his neck?

Anyway, back on topic:

So I voted Wyll, before noticing Halsin. But I dislike those 2 quite a lot. Well, let me preface it: I like Wyll, I just don't like what Larian did to him, the entire rewrite. He went from a peasant's son to the son a Duke, Yes, in EA it was clearly stated that he learned swordplay and such not from tutors, but from life experiences. He had his home village raided and slaughtered by goblins and that's when Mizora first came to him and offered him a choice: die or sign the pact, live and take your vengeance upon goblins. So Wyll signed it, and not only he got his retribution but also decided to use his powers for good.

And to turn him into being born into nobility and the 'Tiamat invasion' getting thwarted? Really? He went from a cool, tragic backstory to a boring one. Tsk tsk.

Halsin... well, for obvious reasons. Sexpet. Larian should never have made him a full companion. Temporary one? Sure. He has absolutely nothing to do in the city, he has no reason for being in Baldur's Gate aside from wanting to bang Tav. Ugh.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Originally Posted by Nicottia
[quote=Ixal]
I like Wyll, I just don't like what Larian did to him, the entire rewrite. He went from a peasant's son to the son a Duke, Yes, in EA it was clearly stated that he learned swordplay and such not from tutors, but from life experiences. He had his home village raided and slaughtered by goblins and that's when Mizora first came to him and offered him a choice: die or sign the pact, live and take your vengeance upon goblins. So Wyll signed it, and not only he got his retribution but also decided to use his powers for good.

I didn't play in EA and had no idea this was his original backstory. I like this a lot more. In general I like Wyll, he's one of my favorite companions but his story does seem over the top even among the other origin characters. This story would have been much better and more grounded.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Nicottia

Um, what about his teeth? Red eyes? Super pale skin and a bite mark on his neck?

And thats all what you think a vampire is?
Not only has Larian removed the traditional weaknesses of vampires, running water, sunlight, they also completely ignore that he is undead. Doesn't eat, doesn't sleep, doesn't feel anything. And in D&D vampires (and vampire spawn) also means having regeneration, ect.

Astarion maybe has 10% of all attributes of a vampire spawn.

old hand
old hand
I’m not personally a fan of Astarion, but see, he doesn’t have some of those vampiric attributes because the tadpole is interfering with them for his survival. So it’s the tadpole that’s keeping him from burning in the sun, for example. There’s a plot reason why he doesn’t have some vampiric attributes.

enthusiast
enthusiast
And thats all what you think a vampire is?
Not only has Larian removed the traditional weaknesses of vampires, running water, sunlight, they also completely ignore that he is undead. Doesn't eat, doesn't sleep, doesn't feel anything. And in D&D vampires (and vampire spawn) also means having regeneration, ect.

Astarion maybe has 10% of all attributes of a vampire spawn.

You do realize these weaknesses were removed due to the tadpole, right? Cause, sure, I do agree, the game should still list him as an undead (and have negative energy like necromancy spells heal him and actual healing spells damage him), and for some reason in certain places in the game (like Mystic's Carrion's secret trapped dungeon - the one in the Undercity) he is totally immune to necrotic damage, while in other places he still takes damage (act 2's SCL). The game is really inconsistent when it comes to that. Not to mention running water USED to damage him in the EA and Larian has decided to remove that weakness from him (I guess cause it was annoying to players - his water problems caused a lot of pathing issues and made his real identity too obvious).

Also, I have read a ton on vampire spawn in D&D and they do have feelings, true vamps do not, but spawn still retain their 'humanity' to a certain extent. And the eating part, yeh, another Larianism to make long rests function (same with sleep, altho he doesn't actually sleep, he's an elf and he trances on his back lmao).

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by snowram
[karlach] not even being present in this poll is really telling.

Karlach is I think the companion most people like though, so she was excluded so Halsin would fit lol

She is a little over the top at times, maybe a little too immature, but her arc is fantastic, especially if you go with the sad ending. VA performance after killing Gortash is just amazing, her final moments were very touching imo. The flame that burns Twice as bright, burns half as long and all that

The moments where the game takes itself seriously are really engaging and well done, that's why it's such a big turn-off when they switch to the hormonal teenage fantasy side of things

A
A
Halsin is gonna take the L yes.

Also, Shadowheart is love and becomes even more loveable with silver hair.

E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
I think we were expecting a Bioware style romance system for the game. I think they're the best in the business. Hell, they even have an MMO with goated romances.

- reply to Oracle

Last edited by Ehhhh123; 21/11/23 05:50 AM.
old hand
old hand
YESSS Shadowheart is my favorite, too. She is so sweet.

From most to least favorite
1. Shadowheart
2. Lae’zel
3. Karlach
4. Gale
5. Astarion
6. Jaheira
7. Wyll
8. Halsin

(Never played Minsc)

E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
You didn't include Minthara, very sadge.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I've said this before, I'm not the biggest fan of romantic relationships in games involving the player character, it just never feels right for me.

It would have been nice to have more platonic relationships, some of the companions just assume you want to bang them instead of being best friends smile

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard