Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
addict
addict
Originally Posted by TheOracle
Originally Posted by snowram
[karlach] not even being present in this poll is really telling.

Karlach is I think the companion most people like though, so she was excluded so Halsin would fit lol

She is a little over the top at times, maybe a little too immature, but her arc is fantastic, especially if you go with the sad ending. VA performance after killing Gortash is just amazing, her final moments were very touching imo. The flame that burns Twice as bright, burns half as long and all that

The moments where the game takes itself seriously are really engaging and well done, that's why it's such a big turn-off when they switch to the hormonal teenage fantasy side of things

I don't like her. People like her exhaust me in real life. So I just don't recruit her after the first and only time. I agree that she has very good VA performance in serious moments, but I like Gortash too much to kill him.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Ecc2ca
I’m not personally a fan of Astarion, but see, he doesn’t have some of those vampiric attributes because the tadpole is interfering with them for his survival. So it’s the tadpole that’s keeping him from burning in the sun, for example. There’s a plot reason why he doesn’t have some vampiric attributes.
The explanation doesn't really matter to me considering the super tadpole is a complete fabrication of Larian and technically should not work on undead anyway.

What remains is that Astarion is a vampire spawn in name only.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
They didn't put my least favorite (Minthara) in so I didn't vote.

E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
The tadpole is just a convenient plot device. Apparently it makes characters like Wyll, who's supposed to be a renowned hero go all the way down to level 1. It just raises a bunch of questions that Larian probably didn't think about answering.

Last edited by Ehhhh123; 21/11/23 09:49 AM.
old hand
old hand
I like Jaheira best, hands down. It's the only returning character from the originals that really feels like it's the same character. Minsc a little less so, but nothing too bad there.

Now, both these characters get bonus points from me over everyone else because.. The game assumes, that as long as you're not actively dating one of the companions, you're still looking. Even Withers pushes you towards that. But I've done a few, seen a few on Youtube and I'm just not interested. But the game won't let you. You'll have all these proposals and romantic things until you picked someone, it's bloody annoying.

Jaheira and Minsc don't do romance, nor do they sleep around. Thank the gods.

Edit: Oh Hang on. Least Liked. I forgot about that part.

Halsin, Astarion and Wyll. Probably in that order.

Halsin was fun Act 1, but boring beyond. Astarion I can't stand because of his... voice, let's say. I can't stand that annoying smug accent, and then proceeding to call me darling for the duration of a 50hr campaign. Wyll is... Well he's the Preston Garvey of the Sword Coast.

Last edited by rodeolifant; 21/11/23 05:48 PM.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
V
stranger
stranger
V
No Minthara?

Well from that list Halsin. I am not going to hate on the origin companions, too much time in the trenches with them.

V
stranger
stranger
V
Originally Posted by Ehhhh123
The tadpole is just a convenient plot device. Apparently it makes characters like Wyll, who's supposed to be a renowned hero go all the way down to level 1. It just raises a bunch of questions that Larian probably didn't think about answering.

Yeah it did the same with Gale.

But it is just how RPGs work. We didn't really need an explanation. Like in Dragon Age, Varric is just level 1 again! No reason, don't worry about it.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Nicottia
Originally Posted by Ixal
And thats all what you think a vampire is?
Not only has Larian removed the traditional weaknesses of vampires, running water, sunlight, they also completely ignore that he is undead. Doesn't eat, doesn't sleep, doesn't feel anything. And in D&D vampires (and vampire spawn) also means having regeneration, ect.

Astarion maybe has 10% of all attributes of a vampire spawn.

You do realize these weaknesses were removed due to the tadpole, right? Cause, sure, I do agree, the game should still list him as an undead (and have negative energy like necromancy spells heal him and actual healing spells damage him), and for some reason in certain places in the game (like Mystic's Carrion's secret trapped dungeon - the one in the Undercity) he is totally immune to necrotic damage, while in other places he still takes damage (act 2's SCL). The game is really inconsistent when it comes to that. Not to mention running water USED to damage him in the EA and Larian has decided to remove that weakness from him (I guess cause it was annoying to players - his water problems caused a lot of pathing issues and made his real identity too obvious).

Also, I have read a ton on vampire spawn in D&D and they do have feelings, true vamps do not, but spawn still retain their 'humanity' to a certain extent. And the eating part, yeh, another Larianism to make long rests function (same with sleep, altho he doesn't actually sleep, he's an elf and he trances on his back lmao).
The Tadpole thing is Correct, however I wouldn't classify Sunlight as a Traditional Vampire Weakness at least not the version that kills them, since that version was added 101 years ago, while the Oldest Vampire Myths From 976 years ago, had a different version Sunlight didn't kill/burn vampires originally, it just weaken them, Astairon is ironically much closer to Traditional Vampires than Cazador himself that regard.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Nicottia
Originally Posted by Ixal
And thats all what you think a vampire is?
Not only has Larian removed the traditional weaknesses of vampires, running water, sunlight, they also completely ignore that he is undead. Doesn't eat, doesn't sleep, doesn't feel anything. And in D&D vampires (and vampire spawn) also means having regeneration, ect.

Astarion maybe has 10% of all attributes of a vampire spawn.

You do realize these weaknesses were removed due to the tadpole, right? Cause, sure, I do agree, the game should still list him as an undead (and have negative energy like necromancy spells heal him and actual healing spells damage him), and for some reason in certain places in the game (like Mystic's Carrion's secret trapped dungeon - the one in the Undercity) he is totally immune to necrotic damage, while in other places he still takes damage (act 2's SCL). The game is really inconsistent when it comes to that. Not to mention running water USED to damage him in the EA and Larian has decided to remove that weakness from him (I guess cause it was annoying to players - his water problems caused a lot of pathing issues and made his real identity too obvious).

Also, I have read a ton on vampire spawn in D&D and they do have feelings, true vamps do not, but spawn still retain their 'humanity' to a certain extent. And the eating part, yeh, another Larianism to make long rests function (same with sleep, altho he doesn't actually sleep, he's an elf and he trances on his back lmao).
The Tadpole thing is Correct, however I wouldn't classify Sunlight as a Traditional Vampire Weakness at least not the version that kills them, since that version was added 101 years ago, while the Oldest Vampire Myths From 976 years ago, had a different version Sunlight didn't kill/burn vampires originally, it just weaken them, Astairon is ironically much closer to Traditional Vampires than Cazador himself that regard.

I also dislike Wyll and Halsin. I think it's because they're inherently boring personality-wise. If they were a food, they would be oatmeal. You know it's good for you, but I swear it's bland and tasteless going down 8'D I think the *REAL* reason we all dislike Halsin and Wyll is because
They both like Dribbles the clown. Especially Wyll. God knows, THAT IS HORRIFYING.

On the other hand, take Astarion. Boy has more issues than a psych ward, but he's more like a decadent fudge brownie. You know you're going to pay for it later, but damn if I'm not going to take a bite anyways. 8'D

E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
Welp, guys. Voting has been closed. To my (not really) suprise, Halsin is the least liked. Even without his "eccentricities", he really offers nothing new to the table. He's a druid, but we already got a legendary one as a companion. He's hot, but every companion in the game can be considered hot. His story effectively finishes in Act 2, Wyll was the second most voted, but even he has content in Act 3 unique to him.

https://ibb.co/yVQ9Zs7

Last edited by Ehhhh123; 21/11/23 08:46 PM.
veteran
veteran
Yeah not surprising to me either. After all he's the only one on that list who ain't an Origin companion so the list was never fair to begin with. If he wasn't on the list then Wyll naturally ends up being the least liked.

The only reason I don't like Halsin as a companion is because in terms of actual content he just barely exists and thus doesn't deserve to be one. In the end he's a casualty of a quantity over quality issue, which was funnily enough even a discussion here on the forums ages ago before the game released. In the end the saying became true.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Welp, guys. Voting has been closed. To my (not really) suprise, Halsin is the least liked. Even without his "eccentricities", he really offers nothing new to the table. He's a druid, but we already got a legendary one as a companion. He's hot, but every companion in the game can be considered hot. His story effectively finishes in Act 2, Wyll was the second most voted, but even he has content in Act 3 unique to him.

Halsin was turned into a joke, look everyone it's Horny the Bear, he's hated because He was an Unplanned Companion who was added in last minute at the Expense of Helia, who at least had some bite to her, pun intended, plus the idea of a sassy good aligned bard that also happens to be one the smaller races is interesting, especially for those who know about her spicer side.

A
A
I think one of the biggest reasons people don't like Halsin is that the Halsin we got at release is not the same that people loved in EA and wanted to be as companion. He got flattened and meme'd.

E
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Sai the Elf

Halsin was turned into a joke, look everyone it's Horny the Bear, he's hated because He was an Unplanned Companion who was added in last minute at the Expense of Helia, who at least had some bite to her, pun intended, plus the idea of a sassy good aligned bard that also happens to be one the smaller races is interesting, especially for those who know about her spicer side.
She was supposed to be a bard and a werewolf, too. The concept of her character sounds way cooler than what we got with Halsin.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
It's always weird to me that people complain Halsin "replaced" Helia when it's actually really obvious Minthara was the one to do that.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by autistichalsin
It's always weird to me that people complain Halsin "replaced" Helia when it's actually really obvious Minthara was the one to do that.

None of them did that. Helia was an origin, most likely, she was replaced by Durge, since good, resisting werewolf and good resisting Durge are quite similar.
Helia was scratched very early in development, her recorded voicelines narrated her story, which was a feature from the early beginning.
Minthara was most likely planned as a companion afterwards.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sai the Elf

Halsin didn't replace Helia as a companion, he did replace her as grove leader, since she was first supposed to be that ( the concept art was her as a druid). But she was scratched as a companion before that.
It is still sad and,I won't stop campaigning for a small race companion, but neither Halsin nor Minthara are the reason, Helia got scratched.

Doctor Who
E
E
Originally Posted by fylimar
[quote=Sai the Elf][quote=Ehhhh123]
Halsin didn't replace Helia as a companion, he did replace her as grove leader, since she was first supposed to be that ( the concept art was her as a druid). But she was scratched as a companion before that.
It is still sad and, I won't stop campaigning for a small race companion, but neither Halsin nor Minthara are the reason, Helia got scratched.

I would prefer Barcus to Helia. Barcus has a quest, could have been a sorcerer or bard, and grows as a character through the 3 acts. But if we wanted to simply have a Halfling or a dwarf, I won't make them a "weresomething", because the "secretly a monster" is already covered by Astarion. Someone cursed by Aunty Ethel might have worked well. Or trying to avenge a cursed loved one. The petrified dwarf in Aunty Ethel might have worked as a potential companion of any class. Or they could have added a prisoner to the goblins.

But if I have to vote for a less favorite companion, it would be Minsc. I love him in baldurs 1 and 2. But in BG3 doesn't quite work. He is still funny, but by the time you get him, I'm more invested in the others. And from the initial 6, Shadowheart, because all the Shar preaching and complains about Selune. Really tiring for me.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by EMC_V
Originally Posted by fylimar
[quote=Sai the Elf][quote=Ehhhh123]
It is still sad and, I won't stop campaigning for a small race companion, but neither Halsin nor Minthara are the reason, Helia got scratched.

I would prefer Barcus to Helia. Barcus has a quest, could have been a sorcerer or bard, and grows as a character through the 3 acts. But if we wanted to simply have a Halfling or a dwarf, I won't make them a "weresomething", because the "secretly a monster" is already covered by Astarion. Someone cursed by Aunty Ethel might have worked well. Or trying to avenge a cursed loved one. The petrified dwarf in Aunty Ethel might have worked as a potential companion of any class. Or they could have added a prisoner to the goblins.

But if I have to vote for a less favorite companion, it would be Minsc. I love him in baldurs 1 and 2. But in BG3 doesn't quite work. He is still funny, but by the time you get him, I'm more invested in the others. And from the initial 6, Shadowheart, because all the Shar preaching and complains about Selune. Really tiring for me.

Well, Helia was already planned as a companion, has voicelines and probably an outline for a quest too. I would be happy for any interesting companion, that isn't elf, human or half elf tbh. But Helia sounds interesting to me.

And Barcus is clearly an artificer - should he be made a companion (and I would be fine with that), then with the artificer class. It is strange enough, that the whole ofact 3 is based around artificers and their work (Gortash, Gondians and Iron Hand) and we don't have that class. They made an exception with the races and added gith, because they are important to the story, I think, that should be done for the artificer class too.

I like Minsc more in BG3 tbh, I neve rliked him in BG1 & 2

Last edited by fylimar; 23/11/23 07:45 PM.

Doctor Who
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard