Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Zentu Offline OP
Bard of Suzail
OP Offline
Bard of Suzail
So I have a goal, I want to build THE Dwarven warrior. The one you see in literature. The absolute BEAST that revels in battle and is built like a small boulder with legs.

Looking at the sub classes I see two that would seem to fit.

Barbarian Berserker: Violence is both a means and an end. You follow a path of untrammeled fury, slick with blood, as you thrill in the chaos of battle, heedless of your own well-being.

This just sounds like what you would expect a Dwarf warrior to be.

Fighter Champion: You approach the complex problems posed by combat with one distinctly effective solution - you hit those problems, really quite hard.

Again the description just sounds perfect.

This is not meant to be a complex character. He and his axe are looking for some fun. Fighting to him is the fun, killing monsters (Goblins and such) is just a way to unwind. The tougher the fight the more the fun.

Just curious which way others would build this....

K
stranger
stranger
K
I'd look at going with a Weaponmaster fighter for a highly skilled dwarven warrior.

The Berserker only really works well with a thrower, especially with Tavern Brawler, or with improvised weapons. Normal weapons incur a stacking debuff with every attack that will make you not want to use Berserk.

For more off the wall ideas you could go with a dual wielding strength based Ranger Knight with heavy armor and two battle axes, or a strength based heavy armor Monk.

journeyman
journeyman
The Dwarf Barbarian Beserker tavern brawler thrower is a formidable warrior and can get the Dwarven Thrower in early Act 3 for additional bonus.

As well, Fighter Battle Master is the ultimate martial warrior. Champion works but is gimped compared to battle master, that said with stacking crit gear and potions Champion works fine.

Of course if it's strictly role play, you can do anything because the game is so easy.

My biggest issue with Dwarf is the character creator as you have few good appearance options for classic dwarf and zero voice options.

Last edited by Myhthreindeer; 10/11/23 11:10 AM.
Zentu Offline OP
Bard of Suzail
OP Offline
Bard of Suzail
Originally Posted by Myhthreindeer
My biggest issue with Dwarf is the character creator as you have few good appearance options for classic dwarf and zero voice options.

AMEN, Dwarves never get the loves people give Elves, makes me sad...

Elves vs Dwarves

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Zentu
Originally Posted by Myhthreindeer

AMEN, Dwarves never get the loves people give Elves, makes me sad...

Elves vs Dwarves

Greetings Zentu,

I know about your love for the dwarves from my post here some time ago.

May I suggest another route for a build? Something I would like to try for myself as soon as bond thrown weapons not returning every time will be fixed (as a dev replied via email on my ticket yay)

EK thrower with frenzy barb. Dwarven thrower should be a logical pick. And let's face it 2d8 if wielded by a dwarf is rly good. That little magic is from the stone itself and some folks whisper it is the leftover of a paragon that guides you.

BTW there should someone make a mod to implement sounds from bg2 into bg3. At least there have been some really grumpy dwarven voices iirc.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Bard . The answer to any of your build questions is bard

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
On another note, i don’t like how they portray dwarves vs elves in this game.

The game that gave dwarves the most justice was WoW where they made them very tech savvy, utilizing gnomes technology and building giant Stone cities fueled by steam technology and using guns as opposed to the elves who lives in the open forests and have more natural ways, magic and still using bows .

They seem to have started something similar in BG3 with the iron gnomes , too bad they didn’t go all the way to put rifles in the game for the duegars to use.

I like this version of dwarves a lot more as objectively they should be inferior warriors than the taller races , being slower and having major height and reach disadvantage in mele combat.

Perhaps a Dwarven ranger with the hellfire crossbow from act 3 and some cool heavy armor would be my ideal dwarf build , using the steel watch technology to snipe his enemies from afar.

Never bought Gimley being equal good fighter as Legolas in LOTR

Zentu Offline OP
Bard of Suzail
OP Offline
Bard of Suzail
Gimley was stronger and more durable than Legolas. This is how Dwarves have always been in DnD. They are small boulders, tough as granite and strong as well. They are master blacksmiths, equal to elves in the quality of the armor and weapons they can craft.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by victorvnv
On another note, i don’t like how they portray dwarves vs elves in this game.

The game that gave dwarves the most justice was WoW where they made them very tech savvy, utilizing gnomes technology and building giant Stone cities fueled by steam technology and using guns as opposed to the elves who lives in the open forests and have more natural ways, magic and still using bows .

They seem to have started something similar in BG3 with the iron gnomes , too bad they didn’t go all the way to put rifles in the game for the duegars to use.

I like this version of dwarves a lot more as objectively they should be inferior warriors than the taller races , being slower and having major height and reach disadvantage in mele combat.

Perhaps a Dwarven ranger with the hellfire crossbow from act 3 and some cool heavy armor would be my ideal dwarf build , using the steel watch technology to snipe his enemies from afar.

Never bought Gimley being equal good fighter as Legolas in LOTR
Excuse me? Being smaller doesn't mean having less talent. Gimli was probably one of the best melee fighters in the group according to Tolkien.
The most heroic character was also a small person: Sam is in my opinion the true hero of Lord of the Rings. WIthaout him, the ring would never have been destroyed and I die on that hill.

According to Tolkien, dwarven craftsmanship was also one of the best in MIddle Earth as Zentu mentioned.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
addict
addict
What annoys me about Tolkien is that in his books really all races are Dwarves. Even humans, who are also very greedy. Halflings are literally superdwarfs, their advantage is literally exceptional endurance, and they eat a lot. And elves are very busy enjoying material pleasures, too. So, everybody is a dwarf in Tolkien.

And, since I'm personally not exactly into dwarves, I dont like Tolkien that much.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Halycon Styxland
What annoys me about Tolkien is that in his books really all races are Dwarves. Even humans, who are also very greedy. Halflings are literally superdwarfs, their advantage is literally exceptional endurance, and they eat a lot. And elves are very busy enjoying material pleasures, too. So, everybody is a dwarf in Tolkien.

And, since I'm personally not exactly into dwarves, I dont like Tolkien that much.

Your knowledge of Tolkien is clearly exhaustive.

Link Copied to Clipboard