Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lillith Offline OP
OP Offline
  • Which types of playthroughs have you done, and which did you enjoy the most?
    - Custom Character, AKA Tav (Good/Evil)
    - Dark Urge, AKA Durge (Good/Evil)
    - Origin Characters, Astarion/Gale/Karlach/Lae'Zel/Shadowheart/Wyll (Good/Evil)
    - Solo Tactician Run
  • If you do another run, what type of playthough are you planning?
  • Has anyone done an Origin character run that they enjoyed/found out more about the character?
  • Has anyone done a full evil playthrough?

Full evil as in:
    - Helped Minthara destroy the druid grove
    - Killed all the tiefling refugees
    - Made Shadowheart a Dark Justiciar
    - Made Astarion Ascend
    - Had Gale remake the Karsus crown
    - Became Bhall's chosen
    etc.

I enjoyed being Dark Urge the most, because you get a personal story you have to work through, and the story ties into the main plot. When you're playing as Tav, it feels like you're a blank slate. You don't have a backstory, so you're helping take care of everyone else and solving their problems. When you're Dark Urge, it's very interesting to see how the other characters react to you, support you, and their concern for your wellbeing.

I actually am not enjoying the Astarion Origin very much. I romanced Astarion in both my finished playthroughs, so I do understand how he works and how he thinks, however it feels more like I'm Tav wearing Astarion's skin. I don't feel as if I *am* Astarion. I was expecting things from his perspective, but I'm halfway through through Act 3 and I felt I loved his character growth more witnessing it in third-person. When you are Origin Astarion, it really feels like he is working everything out on his own, with no one there to support/help him. Even when romancing another character, they never really comment or help him work out his issues. Another thing lacking in the Origin playthroughs, is almost all the voiceacting and party banter is gone for that character, so he feels like a mute husk. I hate this (lol).

If I do another playthough (big if, because I'm burning out), I think I would want to do a full evil durge playthough. I feel I would have a hard time committing to it though :x

addict
addict
I've done almost everything (except most origins) because you can savescum through different choices and all the endings in a couple playthroughs. Resisting Durge was my favorite.

I agree on Astarion's origin. You lose most of his personality and it's like after the beginning of Act 1 the game itself forgets the character is a vampire. Also, the narrator sometimes says things that you want to argue with after getting to know him as a companion. Like how
the sun on his skin feels like "a caress of a lover who doesn't know better yet".

veteran
veteran
I love compassionate Dark Urge the most. Didn't feel the need to play Tav anymore in full release because Durge is everything I could wish for. An Origin character which is customizable and with a premise which I was roleplaying before it even became an official thing, only much better now.

As for future plans; I never planned to play an evil Durge because evil playthroughs do not interest me, but since Honour Mode is coming it's given me an excuse to do so. So I'll be playing the most sinisterly unhinged Durge imaginable as I play through it just for the achievement. I did the same for DOS2's Honour Mode where as Fane I did all the worst choices and doomed all of Rivellon grin

A
A
- Two custom characters, one ran trying to make the morally good choices, and another more morally grey and power-hungry
- resisting Durge and evil Durge
If you do another run, what type of playthrough are you planning?
- At least one tactician run
- Gale origin

Resisting Durge was by far my favorite, it gives so much extra motivation to characters and a few lovely lines and scenes.

apprentice
apprentice
I've mostly done a few different Tavs and Durges, with different approaches and motivations.

Funnily enough I actually prefer a Tav over a Durge - Durge is fun every once in a while, but I do enjoy the freedom I have when creating my own Tav. I just love having my own headcanon about who that character is, what they experienced before the game, how it affects their choices - and I feel that Durge restricts that in some ways. I like the extra scenes and lines you get for the Durge, though.

I cant comment on the Origins too much, I only played a little bit as Karlach.
It felt weirdly inconsistent. Sure, you get a few things here and there about how you experience the engine and all that, but... there are some aspects that just haven't been taken into consideration. You can pet Scratch in Act I already, its the very same animation as it is with any other character, but somehow that doesn't burn the dog?
There is a few moments like that that feel a bit off.

I did simple Tav, durge and Karlach origin (Karlach's was fun, lots of inner monologues)
I think I enjoyed Durge and Karlach the most, made two durges: one evil
(not fully evil though, basically just skipped Karlach instead of killing her because I just cannot bring myself to do that lol)

and romanced Shadowheart
killed Isobel, became Bhaal's chosen and had Jaheira and Minsc killed, had Astarion ascend

and the other one resisting with Karlach as LI. Was a lot of fun (that one part in act 2 with your LI is just hilarious if you have Karlach as your LI).

I have another Durge, made her to be Minthara's love interest but this one is still sitting at nautiloid for months, until Minthara is thoroughly fixed. She's still bugged from what I read.

Since I tried Durge, I cannot enjoy Tav anymore because Durge actually has more plot going on and doesn't feel like she's just there but actually has her own story. So, suffice to say my future playthroughs will be Durges lol.

Still haven't done the other origins, I plan to do Wyll's next.

Edit:

Originally Posted by LaughingRaven
I cant comment on the Origins too much, I only played a little bit as Karlach.
It felt weirdly inconsistent. Sure, you get a few things here and there about how you experience the engine and all that, but... there are some aspects that just haven't been taken into consideration. You can pet Scratch in Act I already, its the very same animation as it is with any other character, but somehow that doesn't burn the dog?
There is a few moments like that that feel a bit off.

Yeah, that was an issue I didn't like but other than those... glaring inconsistencies, I had a lot of fun.

Last edited by WildOrchid; 29/11/23 05:18 PM.
veteran
veteran
I liked both Tav and good Durge. My Tavs are often characters I made for my pen & paper groups.
I prefer playing good and good DUrge was surprisingly wholesome.
I don't plan on playing origins, DnD is all about making your own character and I don't want to play a premade.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Lillith Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by t1mekill3r
I've done almost everything (except most origins) because you can savescum through different choices and all the endings in a couple playthroughs. Resisting Durge was my favorite.
I absolutely agree. Resisting Durge was the best. Going in blind I was legitimately like:
O.O ARE WE DEAD? AM I DEAD? FOR REAL? THIS IS MY ENDING?
Then Withers popped in, like a mushroom, waved his hand around and I was all better. 8D

I wanted to see what would happen if Durge chose the evil route, and it was great. I got an achievement, the top of my screen had 4 disapprovals and
Jaheria and Minsc attacked me.
I was like, hmm, yea, game thinks this is the wrong choice for me. XD

Originally Posted by t1mekill3r
Also, the narrator sometimes says things that you want to argue with after getting to know him as a companion.
LOL. Yea, I gotcha, what he would really say is: "Don't touch me."
As for future plans; I never planned to play an evil Durge because evil playthroughs do not interest me, but since Honour Mode is coming it's given me an excuse to do so. So I'll be playing the most sinisterly unhinged Durge imaginable as I play through it just for the achievement. I did the same for DOS2's Honour Mode where as Fane I did all the worst choices and doomed all of Rivellon grin
Okay yes. I'm doing tactician as well and I'm not finding it difficult enough, so I was considering solo tactician, but I think I would miss the party banter.

Is Honor-mode permadeath? I also have DOS2 but I never finished the very end. I might replay DOS2 if I need a break from BG3. I remember Fane was my favorite in DOS2! I healed him with poison <3 :B I played Fane origin with Sebille, Lohse, and Red Prince in my party. Now I'm wondering if I did myself a dis-service, by playing Origin Fane instead of just having him as a party member.

Last edited by Lillith; 29/11/23 06:29 PM.
V
Vua Offline
apprentice
apprentice
V
So I've completed good and evil Tav and an evil Durge and in act 3 on my good Durge, but with ACT 3 rather messed up at the moment it's been a slog. My evil Tav was more selfish than evil. I started out as a Paladin, accidentally broke my oath a few minutes after crash landing and decided to embrace it(I was planning a good run for my first). So while I destroyed the grove, I saved or killed people as i felt like the rest of that playthrough. It made it rather weird to be honest, but I made my decisions on what was best for me in the moment. So the Last Light survived for my own reasons, not much else did.

old hand
old hand
I've played a Tav-and-a-Half to completion.
Tav, whilst giving you the most RP-choice in a sense, is probably the most boring way to do it. I didn't notice that on my first playthrough, but playing as an Origin does actually add something to the narrative.

A DWarf Urge redemption playthrough.
Dark Urge specific content isn't that much, but when you trigger it - it really shines. And, there are a fair number very minor but fun added dialogues for Durge, but like everything else, mostly in Act 1. I like it a lot better than regular Tav. But, it makes *very* little sense for certain classes, say, Clerics or Paladin or somesuch.

Evil Llotlh Drow Cleric, up to around Act 2.
Act 1 was a lot of fun as a Llotlh sworn drow. Everyone is scared of you, and the Gobbos all let you pass everywhere. But, I pick all the Drow/Llotlh speech options, which makes you kill Minthara. For most every other character I'd play, I find siding with the Gobbos to rather dumb and not so fun, so i'll likely never have Minthara in my party. I don't reload after decisions not working out as I hoped, so I quit that playthrough.

Shadowheart, partial Act 1
Nah, that didn't do it for me. There's this point in camp where you get the option to either 'tell them you're a cleric of shar or not' - But even if this was my first playthrough, I already know that nobody gives a damn. All her special things are narrated, so you actually miss out on her scenes. I think Shart works better as a companion.

Currently on a Karlach run. And that's actually quite fun, better than Shart. Karlach has her thoughts not so much narrated, but voiced by Karlach herself. I really like that. The thing I have with this is... her story is so tied to Preston Garvey's, and I dislike him with a *passion*.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
Lillith Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by ahania
If you do another run, what type of playthrough are you planning?
- At least one tactician run
- Gale origin

Gale origin would be really interesting. I really want to watch the end cutscenes, but they aren't available to me because I didn't romance him. I have a soft spot for Astarion so I can never bring myself to romance the other male characters *sigh* If anyone has romanced Gale, tell me what you like about him.

I really want to watch the end cutscene with Gale and Mystra. I want to know if he uses or returns the crown.

I always advise him to return it to Mystra, as that power doesn't belong to mortal and would absolutely corrupt him. I want Mystra to free him of the Netherese orb.
Originally Posted by ahania
Resisting Durge was by far my favorite, it gives so much extra motivation to characters and a few lovely lines and scenes.
Absolutely agree. Durge being good, is a struggle where you're fighting for everything you have. If you're good, it's because you earned it, not because it's a given.
Funnily enough I actually prefer a Tav over a Durge - Durge is fun every once in a while, but I do enjoy the freedom I have when creating my own Tav. I just love having my own headcanon about who that character is, what they experienced before the game, how it affects their choices - and I feel that Durge restricts that in some ways. I like the extra scenes and lines you get for the Durge, though.
Originally Posted by fylimar
I don't plan on playing origins, DnD is all about making your own character and I don't want to play a premade.
Hmmmm. I don't think I've played any other games that were DnD. I've played other CRPGs, but I normally just pick an alignment. I've never gone as far as creating my own character with their own backstory. Is it fun? Can you describe your favorite character to me, and how their decisions may differ from your own?

Last edited by Lillith; 29/11/23 06:44 PM.
old hand
old hand
I have only played a good Tav and a resisting Dark Urge, and I can honestly say I’ll never play Tav again. The Dark Urge background just adds so much to the game for me, in terms of interest and investment in the story.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lillith
Originally Posted by fylimar
Hmmmm. I don't think I've played any other games that were DnD. I've played other CRPGs, but I normally just pick an alignment. I've never gone as far as creating my own character with their own backstory. Is it fun? Can you describe your favorite character to me, and how their decisions may differ from your own?

I have a lot in our tabletop games.
Currently I play Mirabelle Layne, a forest gnome artificer. She is highly intelligent, but not really streetwise, she trusts everyone. She likes sparkly drinks with paper umbrellas and spicy noodles and is very into secrets and mysteries, whic hshe lieks to soleve. I downloaded the artificer mod and made her in BG3. Only the feytouched background I couldn't implement.

In Call of Cthulhu, I have a professor of anthropology, who is from Germany, but lives and works in Arkham in the 1920. He is very charming and open minded, but secretly a serial killer. I like him, he was my first evil character and surprisingly is still alive (in Cthulhu characters often die or get mad).

In Vampire the Masquerade I play Aladar, a Tzimisce elder, who was staked and slept for 100 years and woke up in the modern world and has to learn everything new. He became pact leader of a Sabbat pact and has a rivaltry with a Setite.
Another vampire character is a Malkavian. She is a musician and plays fiddle. She has visions and hallucinations and doesn't know, which is which. SHe is the party face, because she is well known in vampire etiquette.

Those are a few of my characters. The serial killer and the Tzimisce are totally against my own moral code of course smile

On computer I mostly play crpgs, where you can make your own character, like the old BG games, Dragon Age, Neverwinetr Nights, Tomb of Elemental Evil, KOTOR, Vampire teh Masquerade Bloodlines, Guild Wars, SWTOR...

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
apprentice
apprentice

It's hard for me to break them down to a handful of easily digestible sentences, whilst still doing their nuances justice. I tend to blather on and on, and I don't think anyone wants to see a whole novel of me rambling about various characters. Especially with english not being my native language.

But just a small example to answer a little bit of your question:

I've had a cleric, who genuinely wants to do good, and is extremely forgiving, even to people that have wronged her. She also simply improvised on the spot, didn't really care about making big plans, just trusting things to work out. I also had a very paranoid drow druid, that always watched out for traps and always had a plan up her sleeve, if things went sideways.

Those two obviously play very differently, when faced with the same situation.
Take the scene with Nettie:
For the cleric it is easy to forgive Nettie the deception attempt, and the fact that she wanted to poison her. She understands the reasoning, and doesn't find it in herself to be angry about it. She will promise to take the poison in case anything goes wrong.
My druid has the opposite reaction. She expected as much, but she's not going to walk away from that, risking anything to happen. And she definitely is not going to make any promises.

I tend to start pretty basic. Pick a class that I like, then think about what type of character I want to play as. What are their goals? Do they have strong principles or morals? Where would they have grown up? Where they orphans or did they have a family? What was their life like before they got abducted? What are their likes, dislikes? Even just something as mundane as their favorite food.
You don't need to go that much into detail, of course, just do however much you'd like.
I simply tend to add a lot, starting with the raw scaffolding of a character and then adding more and more, until I arrive at the tiny details.

Ultimately its just about using your imagination and your headcanon. I find it very enjoyable to do, and thats why I prefer Tavs, for the additional freedom. It ultimately comes down to personal perferences.

C
C
I'm happy to see like-minded people, I played both good Tav and good Durge and I will never go back to Tav, tav feels like an empty vessel in comparison.

A
A
Resist DU for sure as my favorite. As a drow druid, just to completely confuse all the issues.

I also didn't like Astarion origin. Or rather, I didn't dislike it, but the interactions with him as different Tav feel more like what makes him special, and you just lose all that. I didn't try the other origins.

I cannot bring myself to do an evil run. I'd be alright slaughtering all the racist and enabling druids in the Grove (despite the couple of good souls), but only if I could save the tieflings and Halsin.

veteran
veteran
Is Honor-mode permadeath?

I also have DOS2 but I never finished the very end. I might replay DOS2 if I need a break from BG3. I remember Fane was my favorite in DOS2! I healed him with poison <3 :B I played Fane origin with Sebille, Lohse, and Red Prince in my party. Now I'm wondering if I did myself a dis-service, by playing Origin Fane instead of just having him as a party member.

Yup. If it's anything like DOS2's Honour mode it will just be Tactician difficulty, but with one save which will be overwritten as soon as a companion is downed.

As for wondering whether you did a disservice by playing Fane, nah. I've played all of the Origin characters (Sebille being my favorite) and they're all worth playing as they all give meaningful insight into the story. Fane in particular has some unique main story choices which are not available to any other companions, which is why he ended up being perfect for my evil playthrough grin

T
addict
addict
T
Well since the First Time i Played the Game i always felt that they Never wished from the Start for us to Have a Custom Character..
i always felt that they Planned the game for us to Be one of the Origins.. for Many Reasons.. especially the endings..
they all are a Lot Better when yu are a Origin..
the only cool one is the Evil One for Durge..
(In Bhaals Name.. lol)

But indeed Tav and Durge should have been 1 stuff only.. when they Split they made the Two worse.

Last edited by Thorvic; 30/11/23 01:15 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Thorvic
But indeed Tav and Durge should have been 1 stuff only.. when they Split they made the Two worse.

I'd agree there, if there wasn't a hard backstory on what you've been up to before you wake up on the Nautiloid. You can't really be a Dark Urge Cleric of Torm , that makes absolutely no sense; Torm would hate your guts. So for that, you'd have to be a Tav.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
A
old hand
old hand
A
Hello, I am new here, I took this thread as an incentive to contribute because there is something I wanted to get off my chest in a place, where maybe someone involved would read it: I enjoyed Gale's Origin immensely!

In general, it ups the stakes a little (or at least, it makes you feel like it does), shifts the focus of Gale's plot in Act 2, adds some interesting moments of reflection to ruminate over, gives you some more insight into Mystra's reasoning and the very satisfying ending, which I was missing in his companion quest. I was playing him as good / neutral: The full bleeding heart towards children and the unfortunate but with some tactical savagery when dealing with enemies - he is after all, a very good lanceboard player. I had him romance Astarion, which worked very well. I feel Gale and Astarion are such polar opposites that the themes they'd normally deal with in their own quest-lines are pretty well covered by the romance-arc of the other, just from a different angle.

But first things first: I really don't like blank slate custom characters in video games. They generally tend to feel a little blander to me, than those with their own story. I also like the opportunity to put myself in an existing character's head space. So for my for my first play-through I picked Astarion's Origin, as the internet had already well and truly spoilered me about his quest and I like playing rogues anyway. (It was really all my own fault: Didn't want to buy the game at first, got entranced by the immersive sim aspects of it all and had already watched way too many videos by this point.)

So, Astarion Origin:
I agree with what was already said about this. Though I'd like to add that I think its biggest issues are that it is not particularly well paced and it is extremely easy to simply miss his cut scenes - or vital information.

You can miss the deal with Raphael easily by not instantly jumping to the option when it appears during the dialogue in front of the mausoleum - and then you better hope your last save-spot isn't Last Light.

I also have the feeling that Astarion has most of the chatty reactions to Tav-Comments and I think, that's why his Origin feels very silent. (When running around with Origin-Gale, it was mostly Astarion quipping along with Gale's PC observations hence the thought.) What also bothered me in relation to the spoiler above, was ...

that I didn't have the option to talk with anyone else about the scars. Yes, Companion-Astarion is very secretive about them but when I am playing the character, I think I should have some degree of autonomy about whom my character trusts with his secrets - and with a wizard boyfriend and Karlach as a besti, these two would have been quite good options to at least address the topic with .... Which is especially odd since during Shadowheart's wine scene, you are given an opportunity to open up about Astarion's past.

What I did really like about this play-through though, was Gale. He quickly became my favourite character, which surprised me, since I hadn't heard much about him before.

In general I like that his is a romantic story (in the literary sense) which works on more than one layer. He is in love with Mystra, yes, but he is also in love with magic itself and seen from this angle his story becomes one about being so dedicated to one's craft that it eats you up. He is beautifully written and performed and I find it refreshing that he often uses humour to mask his discomfort. (I made the poor man sneak so very often.) He's a refreshing contrast to the other beach gremlins.

In relation to Astarion, I liked that the wizard helped me feel not quite so alone with the character development, since ...

Gale's romance explores none physical forms of intimacy and the guy is almost painfully sincere in his affection. (Also, he is well cast in the role of the lonely, powerful fool to wrap around your finger for protection only to have him pull the rug from under your feet. ^^; Sorry, Gale.)

Also Gale kindly replaced some missing plot beats. For example is Astarion's Origin missing the whole Araj situation. There is no Tav who could make him drink from Araj or respect his decision because in this reality Astarion is Tav. So the whole bit about him reflecting about not wanting to be used as a pretty body is missing as a plot point, it just never comes up.

When romancing Gale, there is a moment after a fight in the shadows when he comes up to the pc and tells them (I paraphrase) that their battle prowess and facing dangers at their side makes them only more desirable. For me, this worked extremely well for Astarion (to the point that I wondered if it had been made for him) because it appreciates the pc's fighting skills and treats the body as an instrument of the pc's own agency rather than a thing to be ogled and used by others. It's not quite the same as the Araj situation, but it might inspire similar thoughts.

Gale's Origin:
Since I already gave a brief summary above, I'll simply put the rest under the spoiler tag.

While Origin-Astarion has to deal with most of his stuff on his own, Origin-Gale gets Tara, his beloved Tressym, to be his emotional support and provide some background information. Tara is a darling and I miss her dearly when in another save, as her and Gale's interactions are adorable. She also offers the much needed resistance against Mystra's command during Act 2, should you wish to really commit yourself to roleplaying the whole suicide angle. I loved that.

Another detail I loved was, that they made Gale's condition actually a little bit painful. In his Companion version, you usually have assembled some useless items by the time Gale's condition requires treatment, in his Origin, it strikes after the first Long Rest. Luckily, your good friend Tara has brought you a very nice (and very rare) ring the night before, an actually useful one. Since you usually don't have many magical items at this point in the game and the ones you have, are all rather nice, it's for once not such a trivial matter to destroy one, which makes his situation in relation feel more server.

What impressed me most though, was Act2 in general. In the Companion-Version, whenever the orb and the explosion come up, it is generally discussed in the context of Gale's sacrifice and the explosion radius. In the Origin-Version, you are encouraged to carefully think through your decision. This turns the whole affair into a detective story in which you try to find out more about the Absolute and have to draw conclusions about the effect Gale's explosion could have in the grander scheme of things. It is such a perfect roleplay incentive for an int based character. Apart from this, you are presented with several small moments in which to reflect about Gale's position, thoughts and feelings. For example, when Gale goes to bedroll after Astarion's little "let's take over the cult" bit, the narrator prompts you to think about what might wait at Moonrise and applies some of Astarion's ideas to Gale's situation. It's a beautiful rendition of manipulation working on a troubled mind. Loved it.

As with Astarion's Origin, you are left a little bit alone in regards to dealing with your character's own troubles. In an ordinary game, Gale has Tav's friendship or love that pulls him from the edge. In his Origin, Gale has Tara who does not want him to explode, while everyone else is caught up in their own affairs. It is very bleak, but nicely reflects the extremely depressed state he is in as a companion - and made the moment, when Astarion makes his confession especially impactful.

Romancing Astarion in general worked insanely well for Gale's Origin (and vice versa), because both stories not only deal with the same larger theme, but follow the same pace. For example, in Act 1 Gale sees his only worth in his magical power while yearning for connection, so Astarion exploiting him for this power while faking connection, is a good fit. At the beginning of Act 2 it's kind of nice to have someone - apart from one's cat - who is also invested in maybe not blowing the Absolute up ... I could go on but this text is already way too long. I am just adding this because I am not sure, if I had been as happy with the play-through, if I had romanced anyone else.

There are some inconsistencies, for example you can invite Astarion to drink your blood, which shouldn't be an option because Gale's blood is poisonous and while Aunti Ethel complains about the Netherese magic surrounding the tadpole, the Netherese magic in the rest of the wizard does not seem to bother her, but oh well, it was still great fun.

As with Astarion you loose a lot of the voice acting, which is a shame, really, since I love Gale's input. In general I wish that Origin characters would remain included in the party banter even if they are your Avatar. I love listening to those weirdo's argue and especially Gale and Lae'zel have some really sweet conversations. They helped endearing Lae'zel to me, as Gale's openminded attitude allows her to show a different side of herself.

My biggest gripe with both Spawnstarion and Gale's Origin is that you cannot save Karlach though. Those nasty rays of sun and that impatient goddess! Really Mystra, you could have waited two more minutes...

And with that: Thank you for reading my novel. ^^ I started a Durge too, but don't really have an opinion on it yet. Also I don't really feel the connection to the character.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard