Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by t1mekill3r
I'm assuming this means his docks scene is still the same?

Yes, that hasn't been changed.

A
old hand
old hand
A
In his Origin it is - and you can still not save Karlach, when a spawn.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel

I expected this and yet I'm still disappointed.

Originally Posted by Anska
In his Origin it is - and you can still not save Karlach, when a spawn.

So if you play Astarion and don't ascend Karlach just dies and none of the other companions try to convince her to go to Avernus?

Last edited by t1mekill3r; 01/12/23 08:00 PM.
A
old hand
old hand
A
So if you play Astarion and don't ascend Karlach just dies and none of the other companions try to convince her to go to Avernus?

Unfortunately. The characters have a line-up. Lae'zel leaves first, then Gale considers the Crown and gets taken away by Mystra in his Origin, then Astarion starts to feel the effects of the Sun. I don't know who comes next. If you play any of these characters you get taken out of the scene and Karlach's end sequence plays. She is having a monologue and goes up in flames - even if Wyll is the Blade of Avernus and stands right in front of her.

The patch yesterday changed the order in which Karlach and Mystra's scenes play, so I had hoped they had sussed something out for Astarion as well, unfortunately not. I think Githyanki players choosing to follow Lae'zel also can't save Karlach unless they have a bug, which forgets to take them away from the dock.

I found both Astarion and Gale's dock scenes hard to bear for that reason. Sitting behind boxes while your good friend goes up in flames must be pure horror and coming home from finally being freed off the bomb in your chest to find your lover with severe burning injuries doesn't sound great either.

Edit: I do also have the feeling, that Astarion's epilogue might be a little bugged. I tried three of the possible choices (let's be heroes together, sun protection and moving to a quiet home) but the epilogue assumes an adventuring live-style for all three of them in the narration. I might try the underdark one later and then write a ticket. It would make sense why his conversation is so short if the game assumes you have chosen nothing and thus can't give you any further dialogue.

Last edited by Anska; 01/12/23 08:33 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel

Same.

Not romanced Astarion during the epilogue party: "I'm sorry I didn't seek you out that night. I felt... ashamed. Like I'd lost everything, just as you claimed your victory. I didn't want you to see me like that."

As if it were his fault, someone thought it's funny to let him suffer.

I don't know if I'm being delusional for still hoping it'll get fixed one day?

addict
addict
Unfortunately. The characters have a line-up. Lae'zel leaves first, then Gale considers the Crown and gets taken away by Mystra in his Origin, then Astarion starts to feel the effects of the Sun. I don't know who comes next. If you play any of these characters you get taken out of the scene and Karlach's end sequence plays. She is having a monologue and goes up in flames - even if Wyll is the Blade of Avernus and stands right in front of her.

Well done, Wyll. This is why he always stays in camp.

I found both Astarion and Gale's dock scenes hard to bear for that reason. Sitting behind boxes while your good friend goes up in flames must be pure horror and coming home from finally being freed off the bomb in your chest to find your lover with severe burning injuries doesn't sound great either.

Well, at least Gale has a good reason not to be there. Tav/Durge just stands in place and watches.

Edit: I do also have the feeling, that Astarion's epilogue might be a little bugged. I tried three of the possible choices (let's be heroes together, sun protection and moving to a quiet home) but the epilogue assumes an adventuring live-style for all three of them in the narration. I might try the underdark one later and then write a ticket. It would make sense why his conversation is so short if the game assumes you have chosen nothing and thus can't give you any further dialogue.

I'd be very surprised if nothing was bugged after a patch.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Alithea
Not romanced Astarion during the epilogue party: "I'm sorry I didn't seek you out that night. I felt... ashamed. Like I'd lost everything, just as you claimed your victory. I didn't want you to see me like that."

Yikes, it's even worse than I thought. disagree He needs all the hugs.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Yes, that's why Wyll has camp duty. *nods*

Origin Astarion is also very disappointed that Gale's blood is still poisonous despite the orb being removed - though I admit, this must be the nichest bug ever. Then again, Withers didn't provide any blood .....

addict
addict

Same.

What the. As if it's not his victory too. I think someone on the writing team might be a bit too much into angst.

Is it delusional to expect at least an option to go after him when Karlach got a whole cutscene added three patches ago?

journeyman
journeyman
What the. As if it's not his victory too. I think someone on the writing team might be a bit too much into angst.

He does say later, he came to the conclusion, it was their victory.

Still, for me that line seems to put the blame (for hiding alone in the shadows) on Astarion. As if he had deliberately chosen it instead of the player being held hostage by the writing.

All I want for the dock scene is the companions to either say something helpful or say nothing at all and the option to follow him.

Last edited by Alithea; 01/12/23 09:14 PM.
addict
addict
As if he had deliberately chosen it instead of the player being held hostage by the writing.

All I want for the dock scene is the companions to either say something helpful or say nothing at all and the option to follow him.

One would think a choice between following and not following him would be common sense in a roleplaying game. I'm honestly curious why we don't get it here. And then the writing throws us at Karlach.

journeyman
journeyman
One would think a choice between following and not following him would be common sense in a roleplaying game. I'm honestly curious why we don't get it here. And then the writing throws us at Karlach.

A choice to follow Astarion? Perish the thought. Seriously though, no idea. But being forced to play through Karlach's scene (once I got myself halfway together which took way longer than I'd like to admit) made me so mad. As a consequence she isn't part of my current playthrough. Well, her head technically is.

addict
addict
A choice to follow Astarion? Perish the thought. Seriously though, no idea. But being forced to play through Karlach's scene (once I got myself halfway together which took way longer than I'd like to admit) made me so mad. As a consequence she isn't part of my current playthrough. Well, her head technically is.

It's like the writing says "this kind of person deserves all the attention while that kind of person deserves none", right? And it's unfortunate that they got so much of him right, and then the ending...well, practically needs a trigger warning for someone who can relate to him.

old hand
old hand
But being forced to play through Karlach's scene (once I got myself halfway together which took way longer than I'd like to admit) made me so mad. As a consequence she isn't part of my current playthrough. Well, her head technically is.

Poor Karlach. Through absolutely no fault of her own, she's never survived one of my runs intact. The universe must have it out for this tiefling...

V
V

So, instead of fixing the dock scene they made it even worse? This is heartbreaking.

Though I really like the new epilogue, so one loss, one gain I guess. (But why are there three different lines from him about the lack of fresh blood and I can't even offer?)

A
A
I personally felt his epilogue was nicely done. He acknowledges that he felt shame, but then talks about overcoming it. I am not surprised it hits some people wrong. I think the dock scene poisons the well.

Replaying the last battles for the epilogue, I got Astarion
both saying the tadpole changed something and he can stand in the sun, and then later he burns up.
Bugged?

A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted by Asri
Replaying the last battles for the epilogue, I got Astarion
both saying the tadpole changed something and he can stand in the sun, and then later he burns up.
Bugged?

No, the tadpole's magic just needs a moment to wear off - I was wondering, is there any special cut scene if you did the worst possible thing and forgot to deal with Cazador?

addict
addict
I personally felt his epilogue was nicely done. He acknowledges that he felt shame, but then talks about overcoming it. I am not surprised it hits some people wrong. I think the dock scene poisons the well.

It's very realistic, what he does. But he only has to do it because the game doesn't let us follow him on the docks.

I was wondering, is there any special cut scene if you did the worst possible thing and forgot to deal with Cazador?

On the docks it's the same as when he doesn't ascend.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Gonna jump back into the discussion again.

CONS:
the docks scene is the same
that line of dialogue when Astarion blames himself

PROS:
despite that one line there....what he says afterwards made me cry my eyes out (bravo, Neil!). he genuinely sounds so happy and at peace with himself, I especially love how he says he won't be defined by what Cazador did to him. and the fact that he can either be girlbossing the spawns in the Underdark or essentially becoming Deadpool vigilante is absolutely amazing and I love that for him

journeyman
journeyman
It's like the writing says "this kind of person deserves all the attention while that kind of person deserves none", right? And it's unfortunate that they got so much of him right, and then the ending...well, practically needs a trigger warning for someone who can relate to him.

Exactly. I feel like you understand and share (some of) my thoughts and why the scene is such an issue. You have no idea, how much that means to me. Or perhaps you do, anyways, thank you.

Originally Posted by Veranis
So, instead of fixing the dock scene they made it even worse? This is heartbreaking.

Though I really like the new epilogue, so one loss, one gain I guess. (But why are there three different lines from him about the lack of fresh blood and I can't even offer?)

At least it's not mentioned when he's in a romantic relationship. So I won't ever see that in any of my games.

He says that? Alas, Withers, what didst thee bethink?

It's very realistic, what he does. But he only has to do it because the game doesn't let us follow him on the docks.

This. He and the player were forced into the situation. I admit, Astarion handles it better than I'm able to. The point is, he shouldn't have to handle it in the first place. The way he's treated at the docks is horrible and the player should be given a choice to follow him.

Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard