Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#926338 02/12/23 11:34 AM
fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
So now that the Astarion fans can have dirty sex again, the Minthara fans can recruit her any way and the Halsin fans have their happy end (no hating, I just tick off the most read requests), I would like to bring the attention to Wyll. I'm not talking about romance (shocker, I know), but simply have him more to do. I would make the same thread for Karlach, who is similar underused, but she has a huge thriving thread already, so here we go.

- Give him more to do in act 3: He is the son of the Duke, let people recognise him, asking him, what happened, since he has the horns and lost an eye.
- Make the freeing Florrick quest tied to him personally, since he knows her since childhood.
- Make his decision to severe the pact with Mizora or stay in the pact to save his father his own, similar to otehr companions crucial decisions
- Give him more agency in dealing with Mizora
- Give him more to say in Gortashs ceremony - he is the noble out of all of us. Maybe let some of the othe rnobles come up to us, if he is in the group and vioce their concern to him

That is it for now, please feel free to expand.

I do like Wyll, he is our moral compass in the group and is often overshadowed by the more edgy and flamboyant companions. I liek his down to earth approach to things. With all the weirdness going on in our companions, I'd say that Wyll and Lae'zel are most 'normal' ones - plus Jaheira later - and that is refreshing.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
old hand
old hand
I don't think of Wyll as the moral compass in my groups, but he definitely needs more to do. I agree that the Mizora scene could stand some tweaks - both an option for him to choose and an option to just refuse to play Mizora's game at all, which is what I was looking for.

More old friends reacting to him in Act III would be great. Getting to learn more about young Wyll, how the city viewed him before his exile, what they thought about his exile, what they think now that he's returned under such strange circumstances. It's nice to have Florrick around to do some of that, but she's not actually around very much.

I wish his final final quest was more about him and less about a certain former hero. IIRC he doesn't even really react to the revelations there, which should be pretty earth-shattering. I thought it would give him a lot more to think about.

An option to kick Mizora out of camp in Act III would also be much appreciated, as I've casually mentioned before. wink

addict
addict
I wish they made obtaining the Ansur quest not dependent on saving his father. Since my chara cared about the alliance with Gortash, I didn't go to the Iron Throne the second time after getting spotted earlier. Because I didn't want to metagame, in the end, Wyll stayed as Blade of Frontiers in my game.

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
I don't think of Wyll as the moral compass in my groups, but he definitely needs more to do. I agree that the Mizora scene could stand some tweaks - both an option for him to choose and an option to just refuse to play Mizora's game at all, which is what I was looking for.

More old friends reacting to him in Act III would be great. Getting to learn more about young Wyll, how the city viewed him before his exile, what they thought about his exile, what they think now that he's returned under such strange circumstances. It's nice to have Florrick around to do some of that, but she's not actually around very much.

I wish his final final quest was more about him and less about a certain former hero. IIRC he doesn't even really react to the revelations there, which should be pretty earth-shattering. I thought it would give him a lot more to think about.

An option to kick Mizora out of camp in Act III would also be much appreciated, as I've casually mentioned before. wink
Well is the most morally good companion in the game, maybe together with Karlach and Minsc. Wyll and Karlach are the only ones leaving the group, if you kill the tieflings.
I think that Florrick should actually greet him as the son of the Duke in Waukeens rest, if he is in the group.
I find his dancing scene actually very sweet and I plan to romance him with my Durge Helia, who wants to be as good as him.

Doctor Who
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by fylimar
Well is the most morally good companion in the game, maybe together with Karlach and Minsc.

What about... oh, methinks I should not bring up he-who-shall-not-be-named to you. wink grin

I think that Florrick should actually greet him as the son of the Duke in Waukeens rest, if he is in the group.

She does recognize him at least. Come to think of it, I've never done that part before recruiting Karlach, with Wyll in his original form - I wonder how it's different. Mental note of that for a future run.

I find his dancing scene actually very sweet and I plan to romance him with my Durge Helia, who wants to be as good as him.

I love that scene! We've already talked about how he needs more romance content in other threads (I don't think there's even a single line about it with dad?).

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Well is the most morally good companion in the game, maybe together with Karlach and Minsc.

What about... oh, methinks I should not bring up he-who-shall-not-be-named to you. wink grin

She does recognize him at least. Come to think of it, I've never done that part before recruiting Karlach, with Wyll in his original form - I wonder how it's different. Mental note of that for a future run.

I love that scene! We've already talked about how he needs more romance content in other threads (I don't think there's even a single line about it with dad?).

I would agree about Halsin, but he makes a dip for the worse in act 3. I would say, gaslighting and guilttripping someone, who says No to him, is not morally good. Wyll tries it once and after the No is totally cool with it.
The problem with Halsin is, in act 3 he is non existent, if not romanced, so I use him as Orin spare, since both Gale and Lae'zel have stuff to do in act 3. I know, I have been harsh about him, but that is, because I think, there is a valuable comapnion slot wasted (I won't bring up a certain halfling bard, since she was scratched long before Halsin was implimented, but still - a companion of any othe rrace and class would be great, with story ties through all 3 acts).
But as he is, I can't see Halsin as morally good, because if you actually say no to him, he is really toxic as he is now. Good people don't do that.
Halsin act 1&2 - totally agree, good aligned if slightly incompetent character.

As for Wylls romance, I haven't done that yet, plan on doing that with Helia, as I wrote above (yes, I made her a pc and substituted werewolf with Durge). As I wrote in otehr threads, I'm not that focused on romances and I don't have crushes, like you for example with Halsin, there are companions I like more than others, but I don't have crushes or goto romances. I prefer my real life preference, which is women, but I play romances for story, so I romanced Astarion with my good Durge, despite not being a big fan of him. But the writing for good Durge and Astarion at least is really well. So if Wyll is more in the line of Shadowheart, being somewhat more tame, I'm totally ok with that. But there should be content for meeting his father and maybe Mizora should comment too.

Doctor Who
A
old hand
old hand
A
I have also never thought of Wyll as the moral compass of my group. Instead, I have thought of him as the moraliser of the group.

While questing through the Shadowcurse with my Origin-Gale, having Tara, Shadowheart and Astarion yank on the character at every opportunity and Lae'zel giving the occasional sharp input, helped me much more to guide the character and made him find his own moral center than Wyll ever did.

I'd say this is because Wyll has only two very impactful and inspiring scenes: When he spares Karlach in Act 1 and when he convinces her to live in Act 3 - which by the way, he should be able to do on his own if the PC isn't present. Giving him a more active role in dealing with Mizora in Act 2 or him having some meaningful interaction when you decide the fate of the other pod inhabitants, might help. I also would have expected him to have more ideas about where to look for his father if you take him to Moonrise.

His romance, while being very sweet, is also just that, it's sweet but not impactful. Astarion and Gale's (the only ones I know first hand) are both very impactful to me because they draw a connection between the PC, the plot and the development of the character. Wyll's is just him rediscovering an old hobby to court someone.

addict
addict
I would agree about Halsin, but he makes a dip for the worse in act 3. I would say, gaslighting and guilttripping someone, who says No to him, is not morally good. Wyll tries it once and after the No is totally cool with it. (...) But as he is, I can't see Halsin as morally good, because if you actually say no to him, he is really toxic as he is now. Good people don't do that.

Wait, what does he do? I don't remember him doing anything strange after my Tav's rejection. Then again, I stopped having him in my party the moment I reached exceptional approval and then he spent time alone with Orin.
He still seemed to be into my chara during the epilogue party.

Originally Posted by Anska
I have also never thought of Wyll as the moral compass of my group. Instead, I have thought of him as the moraliser of the group.

It was the same for me. I didn't even have him in the party and he would still bore me with his lectures. At some point, I started laughing every time he disapproved of my choices and would whine about it at camp.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted by Ametris
Wait, what does he do? I don't remember him doing anything strange after my Tav's rejection. Then again, I stopped having him in my party the moment I reached exceptional approval and then he spent time alone with Orin.

He will ask to join you with the Drow even if you are not in a relationship as long as he is in the party. Unfortunately there isn't a text-option for "You go have fun Halsin, we'll wait down here."

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

He will ask to join you with the Drow even if you are not in a relationship as long as he is in the party. Unfortunately there isn't a text-option for "You go have fun Halsin, we'll wait down here."

I never had the drow scene, because I never asked them for sex, but after I said no, he tried to worm himself in my relationship via my partner (in that case Shadowheart). His pickup line alone is creepy: 'You tended to my needs in camp like a lover'. Dude, I asked you, if you settled in, get a life. Needless to say, he ends up with Orin nowadays and I really sadly always botch the persuasion roles.

Doctor Who
addict
addict
Ah, that... He suggested it to my Tav and then immediately offered the poly arrangement in the evening. I guess in this order it makes more sense. Like he's testing the waters, before asking officially.
It was still a very crappy moment because it happened right after getting all the answers right with Astarion during the love test. Both of them sweet and happy together, kissing, etc. And then Halsin was like... 'Oooh... I like it. I wanna get in there too.' Left a bad taste for sure.

Last edited by Ametris; 02/12/23 10:59 PM.
addict
addict
I never had the drow scene, because I never asked them for sex, but after I said no, he tried to worm himself in my relationship via my partner (in that case Shadowheart). His pickup line alone is creepy: 'You tended to my needs in camp like a lover'. Dude, I asked you, if you settled in, get a life. Needless to say, he ends up with Orin nowadays and I really sadly always botch the persuasion roles.

Halsin shows interest in them as soon as they start talking about their services. I didn't go for them but he still said: 'I'm interested... if you are' or something like that. Oh my goodness, he hits on Shadow too? And that line... What the hell... xD

I liked him at first but in act 3 he started behaving like another person. Not even like a real one, but a tad creepy, kinky, meme character. I couldn't take him seriously anymore.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Ah, that... He suggested it to my Tav and then immediately offered the poly arrangement in the evening. I guess in this order it's not so bad.
It was still a very crappy moment because it happened right after getting all the answers right with Astarion during the love test. Both of them sweet and happy together, kissing, etc. And then Halsin was like... 'Oooh... I like it. I wanna get in there too.' Left a bad taste for sure.

This made me laugh because I too associate Halsin most of all with very bad timing. My Gale thought it wise to maybe tackle the whole Cazador situation with full spellslots. So, while his dearest vampire was in pre-Cazador-panic, Halsin thought it was a good idea to propose his arrangement - I hope Astarion had a good laugh, at least. (I still think it's a shame you cannot get Astarion's conversation after saying no to Halsin) Then, the next morning, Mizora comes up with her suggestion .... I imagined Gale telling her to go see Halsin and then trying his best to never think about this particular series of events again. Even the game itself enjoys teasing Gale at every opportunity!

*coughs* Back to Wyll.

Edit: And he chimes in, showing interest pretty early with the Drow, while the player still has all the clueless text options.

Last edited by Anska; 02/12/23 11:03 PM.
addict
addict
I too associate Halsin most of all with very bad timing. My Gale thought it wise to maybe tackle the whole Cazador situation with full spellslots. So, while his dearest vampire was in pre-Cazador-panic, Halsin thought it was a good idea to propose his arrangement - I hope Astarion had a good laugh, at least. (I still think it's a shame you cannot get Astarion's conversation after saying no to Halsin) Then, the next morning, Mizora comes up with her suggestion .... I imagined Gale telling her to go see Halsin and then trying his best to never think about this particular series of events again. Even the game itself enjoys teasing Gale at every opportunity!

That's hysterical. laugh Poor Gale.

Speaking of Wyll, is it possible to kiss or hug him during the epilogue party if he's romanced? Because I haven't seen anyone post videos with him yet.

old hand
old hand
Did they take out the cringey Act 1 dialogue where he flirts with any female origin characters in the group, even though they’re obviously not reciprocating his interest? I feel like rewriting his party banter a little bit would make me like him more.

old hand
old hand
I've heard that they did, though I haven't replayed that part of the game with him in my party to check.

addict
addict
The flirting is gone, yes. They could remove the banter where he asks Astarion about eating rats too, or at least make it not trigger after we learn of his past. Especially when he's right here happily eating our enemies.

You put my feelings into words lol. He preaches a lot, but the game won't let him act solving even his own problems, so now he's just a guy in camp who complains all the time. Where's the dude teaching the tiefling kids how to fight?

A
old hand
old hand
A
Wyll's banter has some serious timing issues. I got the rat comment shortly after we had our run in with Gandrel and he suggested Gale could pick up a new monicker "Master of the Weave" basically two steps after Gale confessed his whole story. I am sure it wasn't intended this way, but the timing made it feel cruel. The exchange he has with Lae'zel about whether she has ever done a good deed also feels like he is making fun of her, because she doesn't understand the concept.

addict
addict
Wyll's banter has some serious timing issues. I got the rat comment shortly after we had our run in with Gandrel and he suggested Gale could pick up a new monicker "Master of the Weave" basically two steps after Gale confessed his whole story. I am sure it wasn't intended this way, but the timing made it feel cruel. The exchange he has with Lae'zel about whether she has ever done a good deed also feels like he is making fun of her, because she doesn't understand the concept.

Wyll tries to make friends, and maybe he would get better at it if the writing allowed him any kind of character development.

For me the banter always triggers the moment I teleport somewhere. So every time it goes like this: I grab Wyll from camp, leave camp, I'm still in a loading screen, and I hear SO ASTARION, HOW'S THE. At this point it just makes me laugh.

The banter is a mess. Sometimes it recognizes what you did in the game, like different versions of SH asking Astarion about sweethearts. Sometimes, like yesterday, you'll have Astarion ask Wyll if he's heard of Cazador hours after you've already dealt with Cazador.

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'M ok with Wyll being sometimes socially awkward. I still think, he is the best morally good companion out there. And as I said in my initial post, he should be able to decide for himself, same as the other companions.
He seems to be the unloved stepchild of Larian and it is time, they fix his story up. All the other companions get so much with every pacth - apart from Wyll and Lae'zel. I never read much about them in the patchnots, other that his horns are permanent now. Lae'zel is already in a pretty good place, imo she is the best written character - her story and personality make both sense and are consistent throughout the game, but with Wyll, they are all over the place.
I really like that it is the fiendlock, who is the most aware, if you do something evil, it is a nice twist.
But he needs more to do and he needs to make his own decisions.

Doctor Who
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard