Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 37 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 36 37
addict
addict
Somebody at Larian understands our need to stare at that perfect face.

I'm slowly working my way towards the endgame on my current save, but boy do I not want to experience that ending scene again. Ascended Astarion might be the first one who makes it to the party.

Also, I did the drow thing with Astarion and Halsin today, because curiosity killed the cat and all that and, well. It's still bad.

Ametris Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Alithea
madforhoran on tumblr said: "the only thing I noticed different is cam angle is now facing Astarion instead of Tav when he asks "is that what you want?" after picking what's next"

So they did tamper with the scene. I hope the'll continue to work on it.

Edit: Found a video on youtube - they also got rid of the crossed arms and weird forward stance of Tav.

That's great that the crossed arms are gone from both paths!
I also noticed after comparing this video with an old one that Astarion has different facial expressions when he says 'How I'm free of the parasite - free of Cazador. How I'll never be in someone's power again.' He looks more somber and melancholic, no longer smiling a bit smugly when mentioning Cazador.

Originally Posted by t1mekill3r
Also, I did the drow thing with Astarion and Halsin today, because curiosity killed the cat and all that and, well. It's still bad.

I saw they added different animations for the start of the scene, as well as a shot of all participants sleeping on the floor afterwards. It sucks there's still no reactivity when Tav sees Astarion's discomfort.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Ametris
I also noticed after comparing this video with an old one that Astarion has different facial expressions when he says 'How I'm free of the parasite - free of Cazador. How I'll never be in someone's power again.' He looks more somber and melancholic, no longer smiling a bit smugly when mentioning Cazador.

Finally had time to compare them side by side and you're right! It's definitely a few steps in the right direction and a very welcome change. Still hoping they do more - I sound like a spoiled brat, don't I?

I'll edit my other post accordingly.

addict
addict
I saw they added different animations for the start of the scene, as well as a shot of all participants sleeping on the floor afterwards. It sucks there's still no reactivity when Tav sees Astarion's discomfort.

Yeah, you can even tell him you're looking at him to make sure he's fine, but it doesn't mean anything. And then later you see he's not fine and do nothing. With Halsin in a mix it's really kind of gross how he invites himself and disapproves if you tell him no. But I didn't know that Astarion also disapproves, just like SH. Which makes even less sense for him because he doesn't even like Halsin.

Ametris Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Alithea
Still hoping they do more - I sound like a spoiled brat, don't I.

Nothing wrong with that, after all Larian spoiled us in the first place with such an amazing character. It's only natural to want improvements to make the experience even better. smile

With Halsin in a mix it's really kind of gross how he invites himself and disapproves if you tell him no. But I didn't know that Astarion also disapproves, just like SH. Which makes even less sense for him because he doesn't even like Halsin.

I don't understand this disapproval either. You'd think he'd be happy without him getting involved. The only way I can possibly explain it is that he wants him to keep the drow twins busy so he can focus on Tav himself. confused

addict
addict
I don't understand this disapproval either. You'd think he'd be happy without him getting involved. The only way I can possibly explain it is that he wants him to keep the drow twins busy so he can focus on Tav himself. confused

Somebody probably thought it would be funny if he disapproved. "Would be funny" doesn't always make good writing though.

journeyman
journeyman
Somebody at Larian understands our need to stare at that perfect face.

I mean his perfect face is mesmerizing.

addict
addict
So today I saw that Gale God has his own cutscene with a partner, and Justiciar Shadow can be kissed twice and then hugged. Ascended Astarion is the only one who does not have a romantic interaction? I guess I don't understand something...

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
Ametris Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I still haven't seen anyone upload a romanced Wyll epilogue video, which would settle the matter for good. But yes, it seems it's only ascended Astarion who got shafted like this. frown

I noticed another thing that got changed. When Astarion ascends and talks about the delicious feeling and we can make a comment, the companions who are standing behind us now have different facial expressions. Previously, they looked sad and worried, and now they look intrigued.

addict
addict
He can tell Durge they will be sitting on his lap, and Larian missed an opportunity to make that happen at the party?

Ametris Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
He really seems to like doing that. He also puts the MC on his lap during the drow twins scene when they are resting.

addict
addict
Ascension really makes that side of him come out more, heh.

Someone at Larian is really into BDSM lol. We have Lae'zel in Act 1, Ascended Astarion, Minthara at the goblin party, Haarlep,..

Ametris Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Ascension really makes that side of him come out more, heh.

Yup, it totally does. His comment that it's good the others can see them side by side and that only a fool would try to get in their way tells me he likes to show off and treats Tav like a trophy wife. It's mind-boggling he doesn't do anything suggestive with Tav during the party to proudly prove that Tav is his (in case anyone who tried to romance them in the past still had lingering feelings).

Someone at Larian is really into BDSM lol. We have Lae'zel in Act 1, Ascended Astarion, Minthara at the goblin party, Haarlep,..

Haha, for sure!

V
V
He can tell Durge they will be sitting on his lap, and Larian missed an opportunity to make that happen at the party?

Naked? hahaha Yeah, it boggles the mind. Considering how important it is to him that all see them flourishing it is a bit strange he doesn't flaunt it more.

addict
addict
It's mind-boggling he doesn't do anything suggestive with Tav during the party to proudly prove that Tav is his (in case anyone who tried to romance them in the past still had lingering feelings).

Probably thinks it's beneath him.

Also, I got to the endgame today and now before the spawn romance epilogue narrator says you're "almost entirely free." I'm pretty sure that line belongs exclusively to ascended Astarion.

Originally Posted by Veranis

Naked?

That's the afterparty and nobody else is invited.

Last edited by t1mekill3r; 04/12/23 07:37 PM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I also hope that the lack of a romantic interaction for Ascended Astarion in the epilogue is either an oversight, the result of some kind of blocker, or content to be added in the future. It does seem like an odd choice to have made deliberately. The relationship is one of complete and total power imbalance, but given Ascendant Astarion's obvious obsession with decadence in general and Tav in particular it's hard to imagine it as anything other than passionate.

I do love that Tav finally gets the option to ask if he wants anything, though. His answer to that is perfect, and feels like exactly how he would have responded if Tav could have asked prior (for example, during the conversation before being turned).

Ametris Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by melgreg
I do love that Tav finally gets the option to ask if he wants anything, though. His answer to that is perfect, and feels like exactly how he would have responded if Tav could have asked prior (for example, during the conversation before being turned).

This seemed like the least interesting thing to say to him, considering I enjoyed the chat and didn't want to tell him I was going away already. That answer is perfect indeed, though! He just has to say the best thing to make you not want to leave, haha.

Now that I finally saw one vid with romanced Wyll, I made a summary of interactions with romanced companions in the epilogue party (feel free to add things if I missed something):

Minthara - can be kissed twice (the second kiss is more passionate), you can tell her you love her (humanoid and MF Tav)
Selunite Shadowheart - can be hugged and kissed, she will insist on the kiss if you try to leave early (humanoid and MF Tav), can adopt the owlbear
Sharran Shadowheart - can be hugged and kissed twice (humanoid and MF Tav)
Human Gale - can be kissed and will tell you he loves you (humanoid and MF Tav)
God Gale - takes you to heaven, kisses you and makes you a Goddess/God, kisses you when saying goodbye if you refuse to go with him
Karlach - can be kissed (also if you or her are a MF)
Halsin - can be hugged and kissed twice (humanoid and MF Tav), can adopt the owlbear
Lae'zel in Faerun - can be kissed, you can tell her you love her, she will adopt the boy hatched from the githyanki egg with you and talk about him
Lae'zel in the Astral - can be hugged and kissed, will call you 'my love' which, coming from her is a big deal
Wyll - tells you he loves you and tosses a kiss your way (still waiting for MF Tav videos to confirm they stay together)
Spawn Astarion - can be hugged
Ascended Astarion - ...

Honestly, why does Astarion have so little content in comparison? And Ascendant nothing at all?
This is the type of behaviour I expected from AA:

As it is right now, Tav has no option to tell Ascended Astarion 'I love you' throughout the entire game and we have zero romantic gestures in the epilogue. #JusticeforAscendedAstarion!

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I agree, somehow the writers seem to have decided for us that if you choose to Ascend Astarion than your character can't possibly love him. The question of whether an Ascended Astarion can return that love is an entirely separate issue. I think it's perfectly legitimate for Tav to have fallen in love with the darker side of Astarion's character from the start, and to prefer that aspect of him. This is roleplay. Characters should be able to have any number of motives driving them, pure and otherwise.

Honestly, this is a topic I could write pages about. Astarion is just that layered.

Yes, it's clear that Tav will never be an equal in Ascended Astarion's eyes, and they will never be free from him. Neither of those things suggest to me that the relationship would be passionless. To the contrary, a lot of his comments suggest that there's a great deal of attraction.

I do love that kiss, too.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by melgreg

This seemed like the least interesting thing to say to him, considering I enjoyed the chat and didn't want to tell him I was going away already. That answer is perfect indeed, though! He just has to say the best thing to make you not want to leave, haha.

Now that I finally saw one vid with romanced Wyll, I made a summary of interactions with romanced companions in the epilogue party (feel free to add things if I missed something):

Minthara - can be kissed twice (the second kiss is more passionate), you can tell her you love her (humanoid and MF Tav)
Selunite Shadowheart - can be hugged and kissed, she will insist on the kiss if you try to leave early (humanoid and MF Tav), can adopt the owlbear
Sharran Shadowheart - can be hugged and kissed twice (humanoid and MF Tav)
Human Gale - can be kissed and will tell you he loves you (humanoid and MF Tav)
God Gale - takes you to heaven, kisses you and makes you a Goddess/God, kisses you when saying goodbye if you refuse to go with him
Karlach - can be kissed (also if you or her are a MF)
Halsin - can be hugged and kissed twice (humanoid and MF Tav), can adopt the owlbear
Lae'zel in Faerun - can be kissed, you can tell her you love her, she will adopt the boy hatched from the githyanki egg with you and talk about him
Lae'zel in the Astral - can be hugged and will call you 'my love' which, coming from her is a big deal
Wyll - tells you he loves you and tosses a kiss your way (still waiting for MF Tav videos to confirm they stay together)
Ascended Astarion - ...

Honestly, why does Astarion have so little content in comparison? And Ascendant nothing at all?

As it is right now, Tav has no option to tell Ascended Astarion 'I love you' throughout the entire game and we have zero romantic gestures in the epilogue. #JusticeforAscendedAstarion!

Yes, I'm just convinced they hate this version of the character. Why add two development options at all if you hate it so much. Awful...

Writers hate him and automatically assume that we should hate him too or he should be unpleasant because he's a "narcissistic asshole" and all that.

I think writers in this case do not like to write evil at all, because even in Durge preview, the introduction is "I have to get rid of dark impulses", and not "I have to figure this out" or "accept dark impulses". That is, the game automatically directs you to "fix" something. I have a lot of problems with any evil and morally questionable action in the game. The fact that evil players were deprived of content and were not given variably evil endings (for example rule with Gortash) shows.

In early access, I expected Astarion to be some kind of villain who would burn down cities for you. But they did everything completely differently and presented it as "not freedom." Although we have Minthara, she doesn't have any content at all, and I'm not interested in female characters as a love interest. So we only have one evil male companion and that's what we get. (apart from the bulling by spawn fans) Like, I don't want to fix villains and turn them into the likeness of heroes. I want my characters to be evil couples! When they burn the world down for each other. Is it really that difficult?

Last edited by Nyloth; 07/12/23 08:32 AM.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
addict
addict
Ascended Astarion - ...

They were too busy putting Orin's outfit on him.

Astarion has an unfair amount of content that you only get if you play as Karlach, which in my case is never. That kiss really should be available for Tav/Durge. It's beautiful.

Originally Posted by Nyloth
In early access, I expected Astarion to be some kind of villain who would burn down cities for you.

I imagine if the upper city had made it into the game, both versions of Astarion would've been better. And could cause some actual chaos.

Page 6 of 37 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard