Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
If you play *as* Gale, you're basically a Human Wizard Tav. You get a really fun cat in camp, but otherwise would never know that you're Gale of Waterdeep until the very, very end.
What if you reverse the situation, and play a human wizard Tav (or a githyanki warrior, since you also named Lae'zel)? What I find problematic is not the companions as characters, but their origins.

When playing as Gale, you can learn that
the soul can be restored by divine intervention after the mind flayer transformation. This puts the entire plot on a different light, especially that ending scene, with all the people in the city transforming. Your generic wizard Tav will not be able to learn this. And as generic wizard Tav, the only options regarding this powerful magical artifact that started it all are evil (use it or make a deal with a devil). Same goes for Laezel. When playing a gith Tav, if you go the free Orpheus route, Voss and others will praise Laezel and call her sister, but Tav is practically invisible in these conversations. Even that final scene you don't rate your own dragon.
So I can see how people can arrive at the conclusion that these characters were written mostly as protagonist. I think as with any impressions, this is of course very subjective, and dependent on your own experience, but it is not without substance.

On a side note, I also found the throwbacks to the original BG games in Gale's origin a bit of a weird choice, considering who DU is.

Last edited by saeran; 21/12/23 06:12 PM.
A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted by Glitches
Does Gale have a huge ego? Sure, but honestly who else in the game doesn’t? That’s not a really good reason to constantly be the only character that has opportunities to dunk on him. Other companions don’t have half as much of the mean dialogue you can say to or about them like you can with Gale. All I’m really saying is, Gale is a great character with an amazing storyline and it’s a shame it doesn’t get recognized by the players or the writers. I don’t think a lot of players get to experience his story because of all this bias around him, and all these jokes are only adding to this. And if Larian put as much supportive dialogue options for him in the game as much as they’ve put mean ones, then that’d be great too.

I do really like Gale's writing and voice acting, especially the more playful dialogues have great flow, it does feel like a conversation. Very charming, there often is a teasing note to it and I don't mind that all, he has some good comebacks to it too. I also like, that during the epilogue kiss, he gets to tease the PC for once which was a nice gesture and very cute.

I might be willing to bet a soul coin that the Quill dialogue and the brothel dialogue were written by the same person, there seems to be one or more writers who's mind and loins are captivated by Halsin often and they seem to like playing the same tune over and over again. Also while Astarion doesn't get mocked as much, he does get sexualised often and I feel that is just as bad. (And poor Halsin deserved better than to bear such a load of questionable content too.)

Still so bitter that a late addition character has better treatment, unique dialogue and cutscenes, and support from the companions than Gale does. Granted, her story is still not finished but everyone’s so nice to her right off the bat. Imagine if Karlach had the same dialogue options that Gale had… can you imagine the outrage?

I am generally bitter if characters are made to hijack scenes they have no business hijacking, the second Emperor reveal is another one of those. I didn't need him there, the situation was good without him. But other than that, yes she gets a lot of special treatment - but fortunately, one can exchange her for a rather fine garment. That's how one gets accustomed to a mercenary's life.

Anska #929274 21/12/23 07:17 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Anska
But other than that, yes she gets a lot of special treatment - but fortunately, one can exchange her for a rather fine garment. That's how one gets accustomed to a mercenary's life.

When the writing tries so hard to make you like someone it backfires.

Also, this is an RPG, you're supposed to be able to be a piece of shit to your companions, but in BG3 those opportunities can feel unequal for different characters.

saeran #929280 21/12/23 09:36 PM
addict
addict
(And poor Halsin deserved better than to bear such a load of questionable content too.)

I see what you did there. wink

I think the only way you run into serious problems with him is, when you also play as a highly ambitious sorcerer or wizard and are dismissive about him and his expertise - but in that case the player character is just as bad. ^^

Or you can both be ambitious wizards, supportive of each others' plans and wreak havoc together. Fun times.

Still so bitter that a late addition character has better treatment, unique dialogue and cutscenes, and support from the companions than Gale does. Granted, her story is still not finished but everyone’s so nice to her right off the bat. Imagine if Karlach had the same dialogue options that Gale had… can you imagine the outrage?

(...) yes she gets a lot of special treatment - but fortunately, one can exchange her for a rather fine garment. That's how one gets accustomed to a mercenary's life.

If only we didn't need a damn mind flayer at that specific moment. This is the only reason for me to recruit her. I don't want to have to sacrifice my chara, Gale or Orpheus. Basicly, I'm forced to have her in my pt to have my desired ending.

Originally Posted by saeran
When playing as Gale, you can learn that
the soul can be restored by divine intervention after the mind flayer transformation. This puts the entire plot on a different light, especially that ending scene, with all the people in the city transforming. Your generic wizard Tav will not be able to learn this.

It sucks that such important information is locked behind an origin. The whole game you're struggling and want to avoid the transformation, only to learn that the biggest reason you'd never want to become a mind flayer is actually not an issue.

L
L
Gale may be mocked because ageism is alive and well in this world, and he is arguably the most mature member of the party before Jaheira. I respec him to be my cleric ASAP so that he can stay with me throughout. He's my Durge's voice of reason because she's so clueless. (This is probably a recipe for disaster but it will be a fun ride.)

Sh***yfart and Karlach never leave camp in my game because ain't nobody got time for annoying teenage girls. Halsin seems so nice at first, but after reading how disgusting he is once he becomes a companion, he can also stay in camp and amuse the girls with his slutty tricks.

If Jaheira doesn't have Sleight of Hand I'll respec her once I can recruit her so I can dump Mr. Twilight in camp as well.

Signed, a cranky old female gamer.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Thorvic
Or when i take it.. i leave hin Behind in the underdark and Kill elmister just to show Mystra that im the Boss in the Roon. haha

I did this this, but did you realize you didn´t kill the *real* Elminster? If you examine him, you'll notice he counts as a construct. When you kill him, he dissolves into a puddle of water.

He's a simulacurum, and Mystra is not impressed.

[I might have misspelled that, but that is a rather complicated word, lol]

Lorroakan also recognises him - unless you meant that.
What I meant specifically is that Gale never has any unique interactions until Act 3. Karlach has some fun introspective moments, Shadowheart has a fair amount of scenes in Act 1 and LOTS in Act 2. Laezel has lots of things to do in every act, because of the GIthyanki plot. Gale has the Tressym scenes in Act 1, and that's it. Whereas, as you take him as a companion, he's literally the exposition character that discusses and explains the main plot.

Originally Posted by Two_people
The soul-spoiler
I actually like how things can play out different if your MC is a certain origin. For that matter, I am one of those who actually likes Karlach's ending, too. All game long you're told you're gonna bite the dust, until you do. Really sad, but it would've been a cop out if that didn't happen.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
A
old hand
old hand
A
What I meant specifically is that Gale never has any unique interactions until Act 3. Karlach has some fun introspective moments, Shadowheart has a fair amount of scenes in Act 1 and LOTS in Act 2. Laezel has lots of things to do in every act, because of the GIthyanki plot. Gale has the Tressym scenes in Act 1, and that's it. Whereas, as you take him as a companion, he's literally the exposition character that discusses and explains the main plot.

And the Shadowmagic spellslot thing in Act 2, though that feels minor compared to what you say about Shart. I was surprised that the people who comment on the strange magic of the tadpole don't notice that the whole wizard is full of this strange magic. Especially Aunty Ethel has such a strong aversion to the netherese magic that I would have expected a stronger reaction - even more so since she does have a mockery line about the wizard being rot and ruin.

Originally Posted by Three_people
The soul-spoiler

I think that is a special service for Gale. Unless this was changed in the recent update, I think she takes him to Elysium right after restoring him (I only saw videos of it), thereby removing him from the tapestry of fate as Withers puts it. This is also what she promises to do should he explode. Only if he explodes, Withers makes a grab for his soul before Mystra can make good of her promise because Gale apparently still has stuff to do.

Originally Posted by Ametris
I see what you did there. wink

A Gale thread needs puns! I just had him comment on Clowns being 'armless when finding Dribbles's arm. smile

Or you can both be ambitious wizards, supportive of each others' plans and wreak havoc together. Fun times.

That is of course very true. Please hunt down all the rogue shadow mages and then pilfer their secrets to your heart's content.
Judging from the epilogue chat with Halsin, I'd even say it's canon.

If only we didn't need a damn mind flayer at that specific moment. This is the only reason for me to recruit her. I don't want to have to sacrifice my chara, Gale or Orpheus. Basicly, I'm forced to have her in my pt to have my desired ending.

I am very content with shrimping Orpheus because it allows the Githyanki to forge their own path without any godlike kings or queens but then again, you can't help feel sorry for the guy.

Last edited by Anska; 22/12/23 10:20 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by t1mekill3r
Also, this is an RPG, you're supposed to be able to be a piece of shit to your companions, but in BG3 those opportunities can feel unequal for different characters.

Yeah exactly. Like I don't have a problem necessarily with the player character being able to take the piss out of Gale--if someone wants to do that playthrough, that's cool. The problem comes when Gale-related options (especially re: being in a romance with him) are limited to only insulting choices and the fact this treatment doesn't extend to the other characters.

Anska #929446 22/12/23 05:51 PM
addict
addict
About the soul-spoiler...

If Gale is a God, I'd like there to be an option for him to restore the soul of the MF MC or other sacrificed person, like Mystra does with him. He mentions he'd talked to her before the epilogue party so he could have obtained that information from her somehow.

I am very content with shrimping Orpheus because it allows the Githyanki to forge their own path without any godlike kings or queens but then again, you can't help feel sorry for the guy.

I like to keep him intact because then
he will be a potential ally in the future, and since my Tav intends to rule BG with Ascended Astarion, it's nice to have friends in high places. Plus, I think the githyanki will be more inspired to actually destroy Vlaakith, after all it's mentioned that he's more of a myth and many people don't believe he's even real or trust he's the good guy and believe in the Lich Queen's propaganda. Then there's the newly mentioned alliance with the githzerai too - if they have a strong king, then the githyanki should too. I also totally ship him with Lae'zel.

addict
addict
Wow, I just saw this alternative outcome with heroic Gale and it's so sad! It's a shame the other companions in the group have nothing to say. The epilogue party plays out differently too.

And here I thought that Tav trying to kiss his projection and falling to their knees was the most depressing Gale ending.

A
old hand
old hand
A
I just wish he had a proper character-quest-ending cut scene that didn't require his death - or the death of the party. But I do like his orb scene very much.

old hand
old hand
I don't even understand the "boring sex" line. Gale has one of the most elaborate and over-the-top sex scenes in the game. Yes, you can choose "boring" sex instead (and I do), but that doesn't seem to be what the line is referring to. Is it implying he's out of practice or something?

A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
I don't even understand the "boring sex" line. Gale has one of the most elaborate and over-the-top sex scenes in the game. Yes, you can choose "boring" sex instead (and I do), but that doesn't seem to be what the line is referring to. Is it implying he's out of practice or something?

My guess would be, it either refers to him disliking the whole orgy business or to the "it was fine" after the act 2 romance scene which you can use either as real answer or to tease him. I like the Weave scene for what it represents even though it does look funky.

Last edited by Anska; 22/12/23 11:18 PM.
Anska #929525 23/12/23 12:05 AM
old hand
old hand
... Shadowheart has a fair amount of scenes in Act 1 and LOTS in Act 2....

And the Shadowmagic spellslot thing in Act 2, though that feels minor compared to what you say about Shart.

The thing where she's immune to the curse, the whole Gauntlet section, she has her own lines when facing 'The Doctor' and inside the little tob thing, and the big choice to be made, the reveal of her true nature - the whole of Act 2 is kind of made for Shadowheart. Gale doesn't have anything a Human Tav Wizard doesn't get until Act 3.

Yes, there is Elminster and Tara - but that's just some exposiotion and it happens in camp. He has nothing to *do*. That said, Astarion gets nothing until then, either, but at least you can try and bite people as Astarion. There is *some* agency.

Now, that said, Gale gets the *best* Act 3 and the coolest finale out of everyone

Now that I think of this, I think it is bloody retarded that a *vampire* takes necrotic damage from a shadow curse. Astarion should be immune, or at least resistant to necrotic damage and vulnerable to fire. But, tadpoled. That explains it.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
A
old hand
old hand
A
Gale doesn't have anything a Human Tav Wizard doesn't get until Act 3.

While it might not be much compared to what you describe for Shart, you only get the option to cleanse/absorb the body of one of the Thorm siblings with Origin-Gale. Also you generally don't get reminded that Mystra would not approve of Tadpole absorbtion.

Now, that said, Gale gets the *best* Act 3 and the coolest finale out of everyone

Do you mean blowing up with the coolest finale? I think that is a rather depressing finale, just as the whole God-affair is. What makes Act 3 special for you?

Anska #929533 23/12/23 01:06 AM
addict
addict
Do you mean blowing up with the coolest finale? I think that is a rather depressing finale, just as the whole God-affair is.

Eh, I think God Gale is a badass. He can own Raphael so bad. biggrin

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EXlNeMrXxdE

A
old hand
old hand
A
Eh, I think God Gale is a badass. He can own Raphael so bad. biggrin

Gale is always badass even as a human!

I think he may be *way* more entertaining as companion, than as an Origin. As an Origin I found him depressing under a thin coating of hilarious. ^^;

Edit: I don't think he has a bad Act 3 or a bad finale, just that for me it mostly felt satisfying which his companion arc does not because it lacks closure. Even with the Epilogue it's like the final page of the actual story is missing.

Last edited by Anska; 23/12/23 01:32 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
I've wondered if it has something to do with him being monogamous as well? I am not entirely sure where the idea came from Gale is "vanilla" when 1) the weave sex scene is incredibly wild where he essentially triple-teams the player character and 2) he even implies him and Mystra got up to some kinky stuff with her sounding him with weave, like... It doesn't seem factual at all and just a way to be mean to Gale when in a relationship with him.

Now, that said, Gale gets the *best* Act 3 and the coolest finale out of everyone.
I don't agree with this? Gale only gets a cinematic ending if he opts to kill himself. Otherwise his other endings basically happen off-screen (until the epilogue, if not playing Gale origin, it was legitimately a mystery what happened to him if he chose godhood/wasn't in a relationship with the player).

Even in Act 3, Gale's arc is just finding out more about the Karsite Weave and then making a choice on what to do about the Crown. If the player opts not to kill Gale, he doesn't have much else to do. It feels a little incomplete.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted by sailorsnoopy
I've wondered if it has something to do with him being monogamous as well? I am not entirely sure where the idea came from Gale is "vanilla" when 1) the weave sex scene is incredibly wild where he essentially triple-teams the player character and 2) he even implies him and Mystra got up to some kinky stuff with her sounding him with weave, like... It doesn't seem factual at all and just a way to be mean to Gale when in a relationship with him.

Not to mention to mention that he seems to have a bit of a thing for danger in more than one respect: Doing bloody battle in a grim, dark cursed land at your side is what makes you proposition you, while forbidden, dangerous magic is also always a temptation. Excluding the brothel situation, I had thought someone had taken "still waters run deep" as a guideline for him, very nice and polite on the outside but once you start looking, there are layers.

I hadn't been at the brothel with him as a companion for a while because I had played his origin, but looking at it again now, you cannot even get out of the conversation with the Drow without being mean, bordering on cruel, to him. The option that on the surface seems to be the "nicest", the persuasion, leads to the worst outcome by far. And apart from being cruel to your partner, it also does not allow you to play your own character as kind or clueless and not interested in the whole thing yourself. If you are in the same situation with Astarion however you can be considerate of his feelings and are not forced to make fun of them instead. Apparently having body image issues is a thing to be mocked for now, thank you very much.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/DFshrH2_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand[/img]
I just give up on properly linking images. ^^;

Also, yes, the tressym is a winged cat in form but as a character Tara is very much treated as a maternal friend, so I don't even see the issue. I think it's cute how during the epilogue kiss, Tara is pointedly not looking at the couple but cleaning her paw.

Last edited by Anska; 23/12/23 11:12 AM.
Anska #929604 23/12/23 10:52 AM
addict
addict
Lol wtf are those options. Seriously, who writes dialogue like that.

With Astarion you're considerate up until the end when the narrator tells you he's been dissociating and you couldn't be bothered.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard