Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 26 1 2 3 4 25 26
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Auric
It has happened so many times now that I truly cannot fathom the explanation, especially since relatively simple flag activations manually with a mod have tended to cause her to work properly when Larian just cannot ever seem to take that final step to full proper functionality.

I'm curious, what mod is that? I have not tried to recruit Minthara yet because I've seen the bugged hell my friends who wanted to recruit and romance her have gone through- 3 months and unable to even trigger her kisses, Minthara acting like they've broken up with her or cheated on her, her dialogue sometimes simply not loading at all.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Wow. I had no idea Minthara was in such a rough state. I thought her problems began when patch five dropped, but apparently it's one of many problems that've been around since launch...sounds pretty ridiculous, and rather saddening because of how much the fans care for her character. Speaking of which, I'd like to get everyone's thoughts and advice on the latest Minthara "fix" that came out.

I am, unfortunately, one of the many players who got shafted by the incredibly flawed and bugged recruitment option they added for Minthara in the newest patch. The game thinks I didn't knock her out "correctly", so she didn't appear at Moonrise Towers despite the work I did. I could backtrack and reload a previous save to get her, but that would mean I'd have to redo 30+ hours of content in order to get back to where I was. Should I just suck it up and move on with the story, or should I wait and pray that Larian releases a hotfix/patch that'll fix the problem?

Figured I'd ask about it here, since the passion I'm seeing for the character makes me think that Minthara's worth all the consideration and waiting.

A
old hand
old hand
A
I am sorry, I added some goblins for Minthara's pleasure.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TheSadisticSith
Figured I'd ask about it here, since the passion I'm seeing for the character makes me think that Minthara's worth all the consideration and waiting.

If she wasn't knocked out properly then no patch/hotfix will make her appear in ACT 2. If you have any questions on how to do so and wish to be absolutely sure, feel free to visit How To Recruit Minthara In A Good Playthrough.

Personally I was in the middle of ACT 2 with 120 hours played when Update #5 dropped and once I read the notes that Minthara can be recruited I immediately deleted my playthrough and started over. I love the character and I tremendously admire the performance, so it was worth doing grin

Originally Posted by Anska
I am sorry, I added some goblins for Minthara's pleasure.

Much appreciated approvegauntlet

It's just so that people wanting to provide some feedback in a thread exclusively about the character can do so safely.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by druidofthestars
It has happened so many times now that I truly cannot fathom the explanation, especially since relatively simple flag activations manually with a mod have tended to cause her to work properly when Larian just cannot ever seem to take that final step to full proper functionality.

I'm curious, what mod is that? I have not tried to recruit Minthara yet because I've seen the bugged hell my friends who wanted to recruit and romance her have gone through- 3 months and unable to even trigger her kisses, Minthara acting like they've broken up with her or cheated on her, her dialogue sometimes simply not loading at all.

I know of the "daughter of Lolth" mod. This will give you Minthara as companion in act 2 if you knock her out in the goblin camp. Without all the complications I 've read here concerning temporary hostile status etc..... Just a knockout does the trick. I played this, but, very soon after I got her company, I stopped , deleted the mod and restarted to do the "evil route". The dialogues with her in the modded game didn't make sense because the timeline was screwed up. She talked about events that had not happened yet and so on....
I went back to Nexus to verify if the name of the mod was correct and there's a warning now that the mod is no longer needed after patch 5.

I played a (good -- well, mostly) dark urge run on the "evil" Minthara route. It was a very interesting game, but Minthara romance was as good as unexisting until the end of the game. I don't know if it is different if you do submit to Bhaal, but I don't expect it. I have a save just before deciding to accept or reject the ascension to Bhaal's chosen. But I'm not very motivated to restart from there because I don't really expect a difference , as the Minthara dialogues just seem incomplete, not yet developed, under construction.

Last edited by ldo58; 19/12/23 12:52 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
I've been ranting to my friends about her state for quite some time now. It's a wonder that they don't tire of it, to be honest.
Here's to hoping that I won't have to rant about it for forever and the fact that we have the weird good recruitment (it seems to be so finicky to pull off that I'm fairly certain it's bugged) somehow gets more eyes on her and leads to her bugs finally getting addressed.

It just still bothers me a lot - so we either have to use mods to try and experience things, or we just go through this hell again and again just to keep submitting bug reports that only yield a generic response, if at all.
Never mind the fact that the workarounds with mods I've seen are more or less wonky, too - some people using a polyamory mod, just to make some things work, others using one that allows you to manually set things or trigger dialogues via a debug tool, its all not very appealing to me.

Sometimes I wonder if someone at Larian just deliberately keeps her bugged out of spite or antipathy. I jest, of course.

Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
Please keep endgame spoilers about other companions, which don't even have anything to do with Minthara, out of this thread.
Thank you for this, Crimsomrider! Also, to the other person, Minthara would not be too pleased by the goblins lol. Let's all try to keep our discussion of other companions at a minimum. Take it as an opportunity to instead draw some comparisons and realize how unfairly Minthara is being treated by Larian.

I haven't been to this forum in a while and I'm very happy to see Minthara receiving attention again. As a fan who has experienced her character through both the evil path and the good one, I’m also glad to see more people are giving her a chance after the latest addition of the KO mechanic - as horrendously flawed as it is in my opinion. But I'd like to draw the attention back to how Larian is treating her.

Below is a list of Minthara's problems as of the latest update. No major spoilers, I used it to shorten my post. If I missed anything, kindly submit a bug report to Larian. I'm only sharing this here for those who are unaware of the true severity of her current issues. I also explained this further on the Larian official discord.

• When reaching 70 approval in a romanced state, Minthara will accuse you of cheating and break up with you. This is occurring to a handful of players. (BUG)
  • Her kiss option in camp is not appearing. This is a bug everyone is experiencing. (BUG)
  • No indication of when her romance starts. Her greeting doesn’t change once in the course of the game. (MISSING CONTENT)
  • No option to break-up or end your relationship. (MISSING CONTENT)
  • According to Patch 5, Minthara will now refer to a new word in Drow meaning “deep bond” but this does not trigger in-game for a huge majority of players. (BUG)

Missing many other bugs, especially the new ones caused by the new recruitment. I’m no expert and have no time to test all of her bugs, but these are the ones I have personally confirmed with multiple sources.

First, I want to say I wholeheartedly agree with everything OP said. While the game truly deserved the awards they received, Larian has a clear tendency of putting some companions on a pedestal (likely for marketing purposes). This is a problem and a cause for concern.

I think a lot of Minthara's problems can be tied back to the nature of her (original) recruitment as well. It has its appeal from a storytelling perspective, but ultimately because they have decided to gamify the D&D experience, I have to judge this from a game design perspective. It is plainly horrible because of the sheer amount of content you lose and how we get barely anything in return. As a consequence, only a small number of players will ever get her.

This is no excuse for their obvious neglect. I'm pointing out the recruitment was a concurrent problem viewed by the lens of many players (along with her bugs) and it is still relevant as the recently added KO recruitment is 100% metagaming. If this was meant to be a "solution" to player demands, it still begs the question why they didn't consider a better recruitment path instead. Something less immersion breaking, as Greek pointed out. At this point, I think I can answer that question myself, and I'm not too fond of the answer.

Originally Posted by Anais
If any Larian employees are reading this, for the love of all that is holy in Faerun, eliminate all her bugs just for one patch. I beg you to add more FULLY FUNCTIONAL content for her too. I fail to understand how they can be happy with leaving her like this!
Originally Posted by Ecc2ca
Minthara does have an incredibly compelling story, on a base level, so it would be great if it all got ironed out, and we could experience it fully.
Agreed. The whole reason the IGN interview soured my perspective is because they didn't seem to express much interest in fleshing her out or developing her further than this. Nor did they address any of her existing issues. I put a part of the blame on the interviewer too, as they had apparent bias, but I'd rather not get into it here. To say this is a disappointment is a huge understatement for me.

I can only pray Larian will change their approach towards Minthara. Giving your support for her may be able to sway their opinion too, which is why I very much appreciate this thread!

Minthara bug list, updated for Hotfix #22.
T
addict
addict
T
What yu say is True..
she got overlooked by a Bunch of Players and Most will never even experience her as companion.
its the Normal Thing.. People always go Hero and most of Guys only play/beat this game Once.. so they never even Tried Minthara the Normal way like been Evil path.

And i beleave thats why Larian Rushed out the Park the Fix for Karlach and Halsin so Fast in the First place and they are still on it looks like.. hahuaha
so Minthi got Overlooked and super Bugged, like some other companions pay the price too and get bugged along the way.. most are still bugged becouse of what they Did.
BTW i never understood why so much love for those characters from the start.. weird stuff.
For me the best always were Shadow, Lae'zel, Astarion, Minthi..
Were the ones that from the start Make me want to Bring then in my Games..
And i felt Weird they Lock her in Only Evil Path.. but Ok. thats how it is looks like.

She really need Love from Larian.. no Joke..
like i said before.. Never Care for the other companions besides the Ones i talked here..
(I even Wish they make a Smaler Camp for me to Just Bring the ones i Like.. without 300 companions anoying my ass evrytime i have to rest.)

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by rendemption
Below is a list of Minthara's problems as of the latest update. No major spoilers, I used it to shorten my post. If I missed anything, kindly submit a bug report to Larian. I'm only sharing this here for those who are unaware of the true severity of her current issues. I also explained this further on the Larian official discord.

That's a list indeed. I’m relieved to say the first point is not happening to me. To hear that she has never been fully fixed is... genuinely confusing, and saddening.

Originally Posted by TheSadisticSith
I am, unfortunately, one of the many players who got shafted by the incredibly flawed and bugged recruitment option they added for Minthara in the newest patch. The game thinks I didn't knock her out "correctly", so she didn't appear at Moonrise Towers despite the work I did. I could backtrack and reload a previous save to get her, but that would mean I'd have to redo 30+ hours of content in order to get back to where I was. Should I just suck it up and move on with the story, or should I wait and pray that Larian releases a hotfix/patch that'll fix the problem?

As someone who went through the same thing, I express my sympathy for you, friend. It pushed me to take a break from the game for several days, but I went to redo those hours of content. No one here can decide what's best for you. What I can say though... from my playthrough so far, Minthara is worth experiencing and I can see why people are passionate about her, even now in her broken state. The other bugs will not stop me from finishing Act 3 and I won’t hesitate to replay the game, if she ever gets fixed, which I hope will be soon.

I think this has a lot to do with my personal opinion. I just dig her personality and dark sense of humor, and I don't play for romance. She has a lot of lines that made me either do a double take or just burst out laughing. Furthermore I find her unique for a drow and her morality is, let’s say, different from others. She’s also the oldest in the group, or maybe Halsin is. I don’t often play with Halsin though... and I can safely say I like Minthara more, no offense to him wink

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Anska
Gale's God ending in his Origin is a far cry from a power fantasy. It is fun on the superficial layer but very lonely if you examine it a little closer. I don't think you are supposed to feel good about yourself as God-Gale. It's probably is more fun if he is your romantic partner.
I have played as Gale, and to me he plays like a classic power fantasy, so I disagree. As a character he is ok (now that his bug seems to be fixed), but I dislike his origin and find it problematic how certain parts of the story are restricted to him. But that is off topic. Back on topic, I have tried recruiting Minthara this playthrough and I think this results in her becoming bugged due to how the game handles the approval drop from 'temporarily hostile'. Made a report to Larian but so far no response.

The other question is how much content for the good path does Minthara even have? This might be another reason why Larian find her low priority. I think most players don't play evil in BG3, I have no interest myself either. Because my impression after a few patches is that Larian pays more attention to their numbers that player feedback.

Last edited by saeran; 19/12/23 07:08 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by saeran
[quote=Anska]
The other question is how much content for the good path does Minthara even have? This might be another reason why Larian find her low priority. I think most players don't play evil in BG3, I have no interest myself either. Because my impression after a few patches is that Larian pays more attention to their numbers that player feedback.

It was always possible to recruit her on a neutral playthrough - so one where you completely ignore the grove conflict and just move on. She has lines about Karlach and Wyll, and she has banter with those two, as well. I'd argue that "neutral" is something almost nobody would ever consider, as you have little incentive to do so.
There isn't really anything that is locked behind an evil playthrough in Act II or III. The "good" recruitment has been something requested, which is the only reason why they even added it in the first place. The fact that this new recruitment method is bugged is another kettle of fish.

So I don't know if its the fact that we're too few players asking about her, but if it is, hopefully the new recruitment method changes that.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
If she wasn't knocked out properly then no patch/hotfix will make her appear in ACT 2. If you have any questions on how to do so and wish to be absolutely sure, feel free to visit How To Recruit Minthara In A Good Playthrough.

Personally I was in the middle of ACT 2 with 120 hours played when Update #5 dropped and once I read the notes that Minthara can be recruited I immediately deleted my playthrough and started over. I love the character and I tremendously admire the performance, so it was worth doing grin

Unfortunate, but ultimately unsurprising. Considering how long Minthara's been in such an awful state, my expectations were already quite low. I'll still hold onto some shred of hope that Larian will fix this bug so that no other player will have to go through what I did, but after reading this, I think I'll just suck it up and reload an old save. If you could redo 120 hours worth of content, then surely I can do 30 lmao. Thanks for giving your two cents mate.

Originally Posted by Greek Tragedy
As someone who went through the same thing, I express my sympathy for you, friend. It pushed me to take a break from the game for several days, but I went to redo those hours of content. No one here can decide what's best for you. What I can say though... from my playthrough so far, Minthara is worth experiencing and I can see why people are passionate about her, even now in her broken state. The other bugs will not stop me from finishing Act 3 and I won’t hesitate to replay the game, if she ever gets fixed, which I hope will be soon.

I think this has a lot to do with my personal opinion. I just dig her personality and dark sense of humor, and I don't play for romance. She has a lot of lines that made me either do a double take or just burst out laughing. Furthermore I find her unique for a drow and her morality is, let’s say, different from others. She’s also the oldest in the group, or maybe Halsin is. I don’t often play with Halsin though... and I can safely say I like Minthara more, no offense to him wink

No worries mate, and I appreciate the warm sentiment. It's been nearly a week since that happened; the burn has been mostly healed, though I won't pretend like it didn't bother me initially. You're not the first person to recommend going back to redo that content, so I reckon the only thing really stopping me is the dragging sense of laziness I feel when thinking about redoing stuff I did so recently lol. I came quite a long way, but even still, you're probably right. Minthara seems like she's worth the bother, and it may not take me as long as before to get back to where I was since I've already done it, after all. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Ninii
2. the recently released IGN interview (https://www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-final-interview-game-of-the-year-2023-characters-endings) underlines the lack of understanding and care for the character too. there are other points to be raised about the interview, but this is about Minthara so I'll be focusing on that. they mention a dialogue that happens after the new recruitment where she judges the player for their choice of knocking her out and is distrustful, which is a straight up lie as this content doesn't currently exist in the game.
On the topic of bugged recruitment, it occured to me that perhaps they mean the generic 'this npc will not talk to you due to low approval' dialogue, after which a trade window open and you have to bribe the npc so that they like you enough to talk to you.
Because I've got that after knocking Minthara out and recruiting her.

Originally Posted by druidofthestars

I forget the mod, I haven't used it in a hot minute. But it was basically just something that made it a little simpler to do console commands, so if you know what the commands and flag IDs are you can do it manually anyway. The main problem is that things like her affectionate word dialogue and the kiss just aren't hooked into her dialogue (I don't even think she has a camp kiss in the files honestly, just the ending one), so the only way to view it is to manually trigger it via command and that's just way too tedious to do more than once for the novelty. Not sure if Daughter of Lolth mod properly hooked the affectionate word in cuz I never used it but Ido58 is right that while it was an improvement over her pre-patch 5 state, it didn't do a good job accounting for continuity.

It's also been annoying since like what was it, the hotfix that claimed to totally fix her (and didn't) that she's had dialogue like other companions that would imply a romantic fade to black but it doesn't even have the courtesy to do that, it just sits dead in the water and you continue on as if the dialogue didn't happen.

The longer these bugs stick around the more I want Larian to just fess up to what that "extremely stupid bug" was way back when they first addressed ANYTHING wrong with her in a patch because it's apparently STILL causing problems.

Ninii Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I'm also surprised to see this issue has persisted since EA and people have been begging for content and fixes only to be answered with crumbs - please Larian, listen to your players, you're at an upswing with the attention the game has been receiving and this can very much solidify how people see you as a studio in the future. At least, be more transparent with us about what seems like obvious bias - perhaps there is some reason to it? Or I might be talking out of my ass, maybe someone that's been around since EA knows them better and can clarify.
I've posted this in another thread (about Karlach), so it is repeating myself a bit, but I think this is because they wrote the companions more as protagonists than npcs. My guess this is why characters like Minthara (and Halsin, in his current version) were left in the dust. They are not origin characters. Example: Gale gets to ascend now, because he was the most popular origin character played as, and ascension to godhood is classic power fantasy fulfillment.

I understand what they did there, I do, Minthara and some others aren't intended as origins and I'm aware of that, however I don't think asking for her to simply work as intended and to have a unique storyline, even a short one (which is something Halsin has as another non-origin companion) is that far out of bounds for the type of character she is. and if anything, your comment shows me that if enough people care about her, play with her in party and talk about her, the higher the chances are of her getting fixed and even getting additional content in the future! now I just hope that's all there is to it and Larian doesn't have a secret vendetta against their own character... (I'm half joking here)

Ninii Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
2. the recently released IGN interview (https://www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-final-interview-game-of-the-year-2023-characters-endings) underlines the lack of understanding and care for the character too. there are other points to be raised about the interview, but this is about Minthara so I'll be focusing on that. they mention a dialogue that happens after the new recruitment where she judges the player for their choice of knocking her out and is distrustful, which is a straight up lie as this content doesn't currently exist in the game.
On the topic of bugged recruitment, it occured to me that perhaps they mean the generic 'this npc will not talk to you due to low approval' dialogue, after which a trade window open and you have to bribe the npc so that they like you enough to talk to you.

Ohno this is about a datamined piece of dialogue
where she judges the player for their choice of knocking her out and questions PC why they did that, then proceeds to call them stupid for it in different words xD
I know they're talking about this but it's not currently in the game, which begs the question if they know what's currently in the live version or why else they would say that when it isn't in it (perhaps another bug in a list of them?)

The other question is how much content for the good path does Minthara even have? This might be another reason why Larian find her low priority.
And that is a horrible reason. It's time we stop excusing Larian for their obvious neglect and being biased in terms of how they’re implementing content. You're not required to play entirely evil to get Minthara, but I can understand the disinterest.

The only thing you will ever miss if you don't slaughter the Druid Grove is one romance scene, but that is putting it a little mildly as it is her only romance scene at the moment. Without trying to spoil too much, I'll say that getting her through this path will give you a better foundation with her in terms of relationship. It is an intimate moment for her character, and she calls back to that moment a few times across the game, but this is only a few dialogue lines. If you don't romance her, you're not really missing out on much.

If you defend the Druid Grove and recruit Minthara, either by knocking her out or using the Good Recruitment mod, you will only ever meet her again in Act 2 wherein you can choose whether or not to recruit her to your party. In this path, you can still romance her, she can still confess to you, and she will still have all her other lines and reactions towards what’s happening in the game but you won't get the romance scene.

The truth of the matter is: Minthara just does not have as much content as other companions, whichever way you get her. And yet, here I am and here are some other people being so passionate about her in spite of this. I think that speaks volumes that what's currently there for her is great, but it needs more polish. The longer Larian chooses to ignore her issues, the worse they look, and the new recruitment is already putting more attention on her.

Last edited by rendemption; 20/12/23 12:17 AM.

Minthara bug list, updated for Hotfix #22.
apprentice
apprentice

Hmmm, no, that's not meant to happen. I never got that in my playthrough... and I don't think that's what they mean in the interview. I was here when people briefly talked about the datamine and I didn't get it after Act 2 frown

It's also been annoying since like what was it, the hotfix that claimed to totally fix her (and didn't) that she's had dialogue like other companions that would imply a romantic fade to black but it doesn't even have the courtesy to do that, it just sits dead in the water and you continue on as if the dialogue didn't happen.

The longer these bugs stick around the more I want Larian to just fess up to what that "extremely stupid bug" was way back when they first addressed ANYTHING wrong with her in a patch because it's apparently STILL causing problems.

Pretty sure it was hotfix 5... and that was when I was still killing Minthara in every playthrough, crazy times haha. Now she's one of my favorites with Lae'zel and Shadowheart. I often wonder about the stupid bug they were talking about and why they didn't just clarify it back then.

stranger
stranger
Please Larian, I have yet to complete a single romanced Minthara run since release because of this mind(flayer) f*kery with her being bugged to bits. I am on my knees, I am exhausted. I see this deep and wonderfully written character, and yet every time I see patch notes that mention some type of fix for her I genuinely struggle to believe if they are true or not because something in her dialogue always bloody breaks, romanced or otherwise.

I can’t do this anymore. It has quite literally stopped me from playing the game- perhaps that is petty, but dear lord its nearly coming on 5 months, damn well near half a year, and yet she still isn’t functional as a character.

journeyman
journeyman
Coming to add something, since a friend more proficient in D&D lore pointed it out to me:

In the Patch notes for Patch 5: "A romanced Minthara can now refer to her bond with you using a drow word for deep, unbreakable love."

Spoilers in case someone considers the word one:

The word she uses, "alurlssrin", is specifically a word used by the faithful of Eilistraee, as an expression of their faith. Eilistraee is a drow goddess who is opposed to Lolth, and who leads her faithful to live on the surface in the light, in harmony with other races, which goes against Lolth's teachings.

It's very strange for Minthara, a Lolthsworn drow, to use a word like this, right? Eilistraee goes against everything she ought to stand for. My friend pointed this out in disappointment, as to her it's another example of Minthara's character writing having a lot less care put into it.

As an aside: I've tried to post this three times throughout my day, and each time I click "post", the forum stops working. smirk

Page 2 of 26 1 2 3 4 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard