Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26
veteran
veteran
From the newest Update #7 Notes Minthara is getting some more bug fixes that were documented in the compendium;

• Minthara will now react if you knock her out in Act I. (Knockout Improvement)
  • Minthara does, in fact, now have something to say about Orin after you kill her. (Issue #14)
  • When playing as the Dark Urge, Minthara will no longer act as though you accepted Bhaal when you've been stripped of his influence. (Issue #15)
  • Fixed Minthara's body sometimes turning invisible on the Level Up screen. (Issue #20)

Awesome to see that knockout scene now actually being in the game, it's really good.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Nice!

I would like to see some reactivity with Halsin if you go with the knockout route. She did lock him up and he has history with drow imprisonment. I understand if people don't want him to be so uncomprimising, but if it is the only way to have some reaction between them, I am ok with dropping Halsin if I am doing a run with Minthara.

This was also highlighted, not only does it properly fix the bug from after you rescued Minthara but also from before, as sometimes Minthara would not talk or follow you out from the prison, yay.

• Reworked the script that determines whether a character is too busy to talk. This will prevent bugs like Minthara's dialogue not triggering at Moonrise Towers after you rescue her, and knock-on effects as a result of this, like not being able to rest or fast travel.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Now luckily we atleast get the KO dialogue. But that alone is not enough. We would also need a hint from the narrator when we enter Minthara's "office" in the Goblin Camp. Without any indication that KO is possible, it's pretty stupid. Since we can only know that KO is possible through metagaming knowledge or by accident. That's stupid.

Besides, we should get the ultimatum. This would also make her KO recruitment feel better/more official. But as a Minthara fan you shouldn't expect anything from Patch 7.

The ultimatum doesn't make any sense for Halsin whose Act 3 persona already does not make any sense for who he was in Act 2. A conflict would be very interesting certainly, but the current script for the ultimatum is severely out of place.

old hand
old hand
I haven't read every post in this thread, so maybe it was already mentioned. But there are lines in the game for a pregnant Minthara. I was baffled when I saw this.
I'm glad this didn't make it, because it would be so, well, counternature to the character's history (IMO) but it shows again how much effort was wasted on alternative paths that lead to nothing.

I mean, you can draw up several scenario's and see what chance they have and then decide to put them in the game or not. But do all the voice acting, put it in the game for nothing. That doesn't seem like the best development strategy, again IMO.

Last edited by ldo58; 06/08/24 11:08 PM.
veteran
veteran
i assume saying "little Minty" was the last thing Karlach ever did?

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
B
old hand
old hand
B
Thanks for the upduffed Minthara lines!
Originally Posted by Ussnorway
On the other hand, she put herself forward as Godmother ... prolly Maiden Auntie too ... what's a girl not to like?

IMO Astarion is up for a Dead upgrade to his Undead status ...

Lae-zel - cray-cray.

Last edited by Buba68; 07/08/24 04:10 AM.
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P

Minithara!

Sorry, it was right there, couldn't help myself!

Last edited by papercut_ninja; 07/08/24 12:23 PM.
B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by papercut_ninja
Minithara!
You.So.Dead.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tim30
Now luckily we atleast get the KO dialogue. But that alone is not enough. We would also need a hint from the narrator when we enter Minthara's "office" in the Goblin Camp. Without any indication that KO is possible, it's pretty stupid. Since we can only know that KO is possible through metagaming knowledge or by accident.

They should've implemented for Minthara the same safeguard that Mother Superior has in ACT III, where once she drops to 0 HP a cutscene plays out and we get to decide whether to spare her or kill her. Would've been a ton better than the current horribly coded knockout recruitment, where Halsin and her don't even react to each other while sharing overlapping tents.

veteran
veteran
Anyone else found this bit from the anniversary player statistics amusing?

Out of 75 million kisses; Shadowheart makes 36%, Astarion makes 20% and Minthara comes last at a measly 0.2%.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Pretty "Bhaal(sy)" of Larian to point out she's last when she didn't even have an option to be kissed at all for the first 5 months up until 9th of January 2024 when they somewhat remembered she exists with Hotfix #16, failing to even mention her in the patch notes. For perspective that's after 5 major content updates and 16 hotfixes, a month before Content Update #6 (Valentines) arrived.

Ultimately falsely presenting this data as lack of interest in her from the player's side, when in reality the players were unable to do anything with her for half a year since release (during the game's most active period) and still don't have access to her most basic stuff till this day a year later.

old hand
old hand
I hope patch 7 will repair the "Minthara not responsive in prison" bug. Going through all of Act 1 and arriving in Moonrise tower's prison after so many days of play to hit a brick wall is, as Astarion would say, NO FUN.
(Please beta testers, test this.)

Last edited by ldo58; 12/08/24 12:46 AM.
veteran
veteran
count yourself lucky she is even there... in my last durge run she didn't show up at all and i had to start a new honor play

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
H
apprentice
apprentice
H
The stats showing just how unpopular she is does not inspire confidence in the developers giving her some more polish and content. They probably see it as a lost cause to put effort into making a brand new scene for her when she’s by a large margin the least popular companion.

veteran
veteran
She was there for me, but did only have her standard lines after recruitment. She still could count herself lucky, Halsin just vanished from the game. That playthrough was pretty bug riddled.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
I don't belive that's true. At least I hope Larian understands that the reason she comes out at the bottom is her rep for being buggy and players having a difficult time reqruiting her. New player does not (at least I did not in my blind play) know she is one of companions you can get unless they are spoiled on the story or go evil from the beginning.

I believe that if Minthara was up to par with all the other companions she would throne right up there, maybe even past Astarion.

She is a good character, the potential in her is huge. I can see it and I hope Larian sees it. Give her a new romance scene, give her some general love, more weight on her relationship with Orin. She could be amazing, and the players would flock to her.

S
old hand
old hand
S
I mean no offense, but I've always thought her pretty annoying, so she keeps dying. Her personality might just rub must people the wrong way. Alongside with her bugs being low-priority for Larian, she really never stood a chance In a numbers competition.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Silver/
I mean no offense, but I've always thought her pretty annoying, so she keeps dying. Her personality might just rub must people the wrong way. Alongside with her bugs being low-priority for Larian, she really never stood a chance In a numbers competition.
I could look up some quotes, but for Larian, numbers are less important than letting a handful of players do what they want to do. At least, that's one of the things they are so proud of.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by ldo58
Originally Posted by Silver/
I could look up some quotes, but for Larian, numbers are less important than letting a handful of players do what they want to do. At least, that's one of the things they are so proud of.
It shouldn't be a competition for numbers that decides whether something like that gets fixed or not either.

Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard