Print Thread
Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by rendemption
Originally Posted by saeran
The other question is how much content for the good path does Minthara even have? This might be another reason why Larian find her low priority.
And that is a horrible reason. It's time we stop excusing Larian for their obvious neglect and being biased in terms of how they’re implementing content. You're not required to play entirely evil to get Minthara, but I can understand the disinterest.
It's not an excuse, it's an observation. Playing EA it really felt like Larian was trying to get people to play evil, but at the same time they failed to address feedback about how the evil path was lacking (in comparison to good). So why would more players choose that? And in full game it is still the same. I think this is because, unsurprisingly, their EA data showed that most play the good path so in the end Larian didn't bother.

For me the question isn't whether I can romance Minthara, I don't need that to like & enjoy a companion. So I'd be fine on missing out. But even going the neutral route results in losing the tiefling content in act two and three, with nothing interesting to show as alternative. That leaves the knock out method, and indeed it worked in my game, but I think it is bugged because Minthara had no party banters or dialogues of her own. I've had one conversation tree where my character could ask about her opinions, and that was it.

I understood that. I was answering your question more generally and I wanted to point out that you won't be losing out on much Minthara-related content no matter which path you take to recruit her. The romance might be a criteria for anyone else who was curious, so I wanted to expand on that. It is still “content” after all, but Minthara is a great companion regardless.

I think we all know her evil path recruitment is poorly implemented. I already talked about it in a previous comment. And sorry to hear that she might be bugged in your game. I just hope Larian notices this thread and realizes Minthara is in need of attention.

Minthara bug list, updated for Hotfix #22.
Ninii Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by druidofthestars
The word she uses, "alurlssrin", is specifically a word used by the faithful of Eilistraee, as an expression of their faith. Eilistraee is a drow goddess who is opposed to Lolth, and who leads her faithful to live on the surface in the light, in harmony with other races, which goes against Lolth's teachings.

It's very strange for Minthara, a Lolthsworn drow, to use a word like this, right? Eilistraee goes against everything she ought to stand for. My friend pointed this out in disappointment, as to her it's another example of Minthara's character writing having a lot less care put into it.

I'm not that well versed in drow lore yet, I'm still learning about it (inspired by Minthy :D), but I know Minthara isn't following Lolth anymore despite having the tag in the game, so after giving it some thought I think this might be another case of display of how
she learns to allow herself to love and feel things freely and be more herself without the restraints Lolth and by extension Lolthsworn drow society placed on her previously, since her whole romance arc is focused on her learning love and trust for what i believe is the first times in her life that she can do that without fear, and looking at other drow words for love, it seems that "alurlssrin" explains what she's feeling the best, since it is a deep love and not a fleeting one or lust

As an aside: I've tried to post this three times throughout my day, and each time I click "post", the forum stops working. smirk

also I felt this, yesterday the forum was unresponsive almost the entire day for me :')

A
stranger
stranger
A
The word she uses, "alurlssrin", is specifically a word used by the faithful of Eilistraee, as an expression of their faith. Eilistraee is a drow goddess who is opposed to Lolth, and who leads her faithful to live on the surface in the light, in harmony with other races, which goes against Lolth's teachings.

It's very strange for Minthara, a Lolthsworn drow, to use a word like this, right? Eilistraee goes against everything she ought to stand for. My friend pointed this out in disappointment, as to her it's another example of Minthara's character writing having a lot less care put into it.
This got answered already but I'm curious. Has your friend finished the game with Minthara? She is definitely not a Lolthsworn drow by then? I'm not sure the word is only used by Eilistraee's faithful, so I'd like to ask if you have a source to that, 'cause I'm eager to learn. You know, what's more strange to me is the dialogue isn't even triggering in my game. And yeah, new here and I notice this forum works like 2 times per day. smirk

Minthara has been broken for 556 days.
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Which point exactly in the game do you get the special word with Minthara please? I can try to reload a save just to see & hear it. I've finished the game many times and now once again already at the beginning of Act 3 around the time Patch 5 dropped, so I might have missed it.

Last edited by LordGMLP; 20/12/23 01:36 PM.

I don't know the language lore at all but this could very easily be a case of a word's meaning changing with the societal split. The degree to which the Seldarine are thankful to Eilistraee for being the only god to not abandon them very much fits the apparent gravity of how Minthara uses it. Lolthsworn almost never do as a rule because that kind of trust and intimacy is almost non-existent for them.

Ninii Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by LordGMLP
Which point exactly in the game do you get the special word with Minthara please?

well.... guess what, it's bugged at the moment xD i did my run with her i believe after patch 2 or 3 and i never got the dialogue, and from what i know it's still bugged at least for a large chunk of the playerbase now after they fixed it, so i have no idea when it's supposed to trigger :')

E
stranger
stranger
E
+1

Clear bias for all to see

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Originally Posted by Moongerm
Please Larian, I have yet to complete a single romanced Minthara run since release because of this mind(flayer) f*kery with her being bugged to bits. I am on my knees, I am exhausted. I see this deep and wonderfully written character, and yet every time I see patch notes that mention some type of fix for her I genuinely struggle to believe if they are true or not because something in her dialogue always bloody breaks, romanced or otherwise.

I can’t do this anymore. It has quite literally stopped me from playing the game- perhaps that is petty, but dear lord its nearly coming on 5 months, damn well near half a year, and yet she still isn’t functional as a character.

Same. More content and less bugs please thanks

apprentice
apprentice
I finally made it to Act III with a completely new character, started post patch 5. In my old Minthara run Withers refused to acknowledge the relationship properly, this time around he actually does. Previously I only had it work with the Drow Twins.

However there sadly still is no different greeting from Minthara, nor a kiss option - which was to be expected. I'll see if I get the "special word dialogue" with her at some point with this, at least.

I
journeyman
journeyman
I
In my first playthrough, I didn't even get the chance to talk to her because I just went and rescued Halsin first. She then saw me with Halsin and began to attack lol. I was surprised to find out that you could recruit and eventually romance her if you want to since you could easily miss out her content like I did. It would be cool if we can get some dialogues options with her in that scenario.

That being said, I saw tons of clips of hers on Twitter and I would say she is a very interesting character.

Last edited by iloverainbow; 21/12/23 03:32 AM.
E
stranger
stranger
E
Frankly speaking, it’s hard to believe she’s been bugged all this time. I genuinely enjoy this game but for some reason they can’t give Minthara the time of day. I know Wyll doesn’t have a different greeting either so that’s another proof of their bias shown by content imbalance

Ninii Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by ErikaRR
Frankly speaking, it’s hard to believe she’s been bugged all this time.

That + the IGN interview is why I made this post, it's so hard to wrap my head around how Larian STILL hasn't fixed her, we're coming up to 5 months. It's not only her - like you mentioned Wyll - but she has the LEAST. Not only does she have no greeting in her romance, she's lacking the dialogue tree to talk about the relationship, break up or kiss her. The "special word" doesn't trigger for a big chunk of people, overall her romance is barely there outside of the very start and very end of act 3 - if it even triggers right to begin with - and for that you had to up until recently:

1. kill the grove and miss out on a big chunk of content, including 2 companions and the tieflings OR ignore the conflict but miss out on both the tieflings and her romance scene
2. go through the entirety of acts 1 and 2, so you'd sink DOZENS if not hundreds of hours into the game at that point only to then find out....

she's bugged and has barely any romance outside of literal crumbs.

and now with the new recruitment, you get ZERO romance scenes on top of that. oh wait, even if you do get her act 1 scene, it's bugged on saves started before patches 4 and 5, Larian still hasn't fixed that.

It's the weight of how much time and effort you put into getting this character and romancing her compared to the bugged and lacking state her romance and content are in.

I think if you simply get her with the thought of "just another cool companion that can tag along on the sidelines" in mind, she's great! however her issues start to show drastically once you get her as a main companion and/or romance. so many people are redoing runs now to get her due to the new recruitment and i see a lot are being let down by the little content and bugs, it's greatly affecting the enjoyment and perception of the character as soon as she takes up any priority or focus for your run and to me it's utterly confusing why the writer(s) just don't seem to care about bugs and lacking content getting in the way of people experiencing the character they created.

addict
addict
It's possible they don't even know how bad it is. They don't properly test stuff.

Like, today on Discord someone from Larian asked a user for a save file because they can't replicate the "dead people re-dying" thing themselves. Somehow.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
This thread makes me so happy to see how much people care about Minthara. She is one of my favorite companions because of how much depth she has. I feel like Larian only views her as the "evil" companion when she's not so black and white. She defends Shadowheart against Viconia, is friendly with Karlach (the literal sweetest character in the game) and even mourns Scratch if you lose him and talks about trying to get him back. She's a genuinely loyal person whether as a friend, ally, or romance and she really deserves better. Here's hoping Larian finally does something about Minthy after all this backlash grin

Originally Posted by Capricorny
This thread makes me so happy to see how much people care about Minthara. She is one of my favorite companions because of how much depth she has. I feel like Larian only views her as the "evil" companion when she's not so black and white. She defends Shadowheart against Viconia, is friendly with Karlach (the literal sweetest character in the game) and even mourns Scratch if you lose him and talks about trying to get him back. She's a genuinely loyal person whether as a friend, ally, or romance and she really deserves better. Here's hoping Larian finally does something about Minthy after all this backlash grin
Aww, your comment honestly made me smile. And yes, I think Minthara is a very nuanced character that slapping "evil" on top of her can come off as shallow sometimes, especially when characters like Astarion or Lae'zel are mentioned. I hope Larian notices this thread too, it's about time Minthy gets some attention <3

Originally Posted by t1mekill3r
It's possible they don't even know how bad it is. They don't properly test stuff.

Like, today on Discord someone from Larian asked a user for a save file because they can't replicate the "dead people re-dying" thing themselves. Somehow.
Oh, I saw that too, which leads me to believe some bugs are just not appearing on their end. As for Minthara though, it's been 4 months and she gets a major bug after every patch. It's getting ridiculous at this point. I'd like to think they know most of her issues. The people that I've talked to about her have all said they sent a bug report to Larian at some point (me included) so I'm more inclined to believe they're just neglecting her, which is part of why this thread was made. Sadly we can't really do much but to spread awareness about this.

If anyone here got the "alurlssrin" dialogue with Minthara, do share your thoughts. Apparently it is only triggering for a (very) small number of people, but even then I don't really trust my source.

Minthara bug list, updated for Hotfix #22.
Ninii Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Capricorny

your comment makes me so happy <3 and i agree, it feels like Larian is pretty disconnected from how their game and Minthy are being perceived by players, i'm not sure how this happened.. i wished they talked to us more, even just giving vague updates, i understand they may not want to give concrete answers for anything and then be held to it if they change their minds, but communication or some explanation on their thought process regarding Minthy and the game in general could help a lot and go a long way to get dialogue going between the community and them, right now it feels like screaming into the void that is Larian feedback forms and getting automated responses back..

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Mods make good games great, and best games better laugh. Always have, always will. I refuse to play BG3 without mods.

I will keep repeating this until I go cold and blue for these two mandatory mods:

"Daughter of Lolth" if you want to experience as much content as you possibly can, not the half-arsed fan service in Patch 5 with Minthara. So don't delete it.
Yes you can recruit her later by knocking her out, but you're still forced to make a choice, eventually.

"Polyamory" to discover exactly how messed up Minthara was in the codes (or lack thereof to be precise - there were things simply missing, not bugged, pretty much nothing to trigger). And to admire the tenacity of the community against all odds.

Last edited by LordGMLP; 22/12/23 09:28 AM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
I refuse to play BG3 without mods.

Oookay? Why are you promoting mods on a thread focusing on the fact that Larian is ignoring her issues? Like how does this solve the problem lol? Kudos to the modders but this is not going to encourage Larian to fix Minthara.

Originally Posted by Ninii
Originally Posted by ErikaRR
Frankly speaking, it’s hard to believe she’s been bugged all this time.

That + the IGN interview is why I made this post, it's so hard to wrap my head around how Larian STILL hasn't fixed her, we're coming up to 5 months. It's not only her - like you mentioned Wyll - but she has the LEAST. Not only does she have no greeting in her romance, she's lacking the dialogue tree to talk about the relationship, break up or kiss her. The "special word" doesn't trigger for a big chunk of people, overall her romance is barely there outside of the very start and very end of act 3 - if it even triggers right to begin with

Yeah it's almost like she's, I don't know, unfinished? I still remember the article where they said Minthara had 1500 lines locked behind a "very stupid" bug. I don't feel like there were 1500 extra lines from her. I guess Larian is okay with sweeping ALL of this under the rug because apparently she is just a "bonus" character that recently got unlocked. I never thought that was how they viewed her. That interview honestly and truly crushed me and this thread is like a flicker of hope. I just want to play through the game with Minthara without any issues.

Minthara has been broken for 556 days.
Ninii Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Mods make good games great, and best games better laugh. Always have, always will. I refuse to play BG3 without mods.

I'm not sure why you're promoting mods on a thread that is specifically about Larian not listening enough and not giving Minthy enough attention and care to fix her bugs and finish her content. While I appreciate mods and their creators, this is sending the entirely wrong signals to Larian, in that they may take the existence of mods for her content as "well modders got this, now we don't need to work on it", which is counterproductive to why I created this thread

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
As Swen himself has said Larian would publish the officlal mod toolkit, don't you think modders will not discover even more of Larian's lazy coding, bugs and missing content than they already have? Larian is no Bethesda, but promoting mods is bread and butter to the longevity of this game, and perhaps entices the developers to think harder when they publish the NEXT iteration of BG3 (eg. Definitive Edition), or any RPGs they make in the future.

Think of it how you will, but my opinion is the modding is about taking back control, giving and rewarding players with choices that they, than petioning developers who want to preserve their artistic vision and narrative and force players down a narrower path.

Sorry for rambling. On the specific topic of Minthara, really after reading that IGN article I don't hold out any further hope.

Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard