Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 48 49
L
L
Originally Posted by autistichalsin
Oh boy, the daily "Halsin is terrible for enjoying sex too much, and it's his fault MY Shadowheart has a crush on him. Time to tell everyone that I killed him/only keep him around as Orin bait, because everyone definitely cares and I'm the first person to ever say this" thread.

Whoever pointed out this thread is unnecessary when there's at least two other threads with this exact same topic is correct.

Certainly that couldn't possibly mean that something is very wrong with this writing.

Last edited by Liarie; 23/12/23 03:42 PM.
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Frog001
A bit offtopic, but this discussion reminded me of a similar situation from Biowares DAO.

There a player could arrange a foursome with Warden, Leliana, Zevran and Isabella, which to me seems is almost one to one with Sharess caress in BG3 (Warden = Tav, Leliana = SH, Zevran = Halsin, Isabella = Drow twins).

Some key differences being that Zevran didn't invite himself despite being a textbook example of a sex pest, but was invited by a third party (Isabella) and noone was talking about having any fantasies about each other.

I wonder how people here feel about the difference of implementation in DAO and BG3 and if it is even a good comparison?
It was infinitely better in DAO.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Liarie
Originally Posted by autistichalsin
Oh boy, the daily "Halsin is terrible for enjoying sex too much, and it's his fault MY Shadowheart has a crush on him. Time to tell everyone that I killed him/only keep him around as Orin bait, because everyone definitely cares and I'm the first person to ever say this" thread.

Whoever pointed out this thread is unnecessary when there's at least two other threads with this exact same topic is correct.

Certainly that couldn't possibly mean that something is very wrong with this writing.
I think that you can tell by their name that they really don't like the idea of anybody criticising Halsin.

addict
addict
A bit offtopic, but this discussion reminded me of a similar situation from Biowares DAO.

There a player could arrange a foursome with Warden, Leliana, Zevran and Isabella, which to me seems is almost one to one with Sharess caress in BG3 (Warden = Tav, Leliana = SH, Zevran = Halsin, Isabella = Drow twins).

Some key differences being that Zevran didn't invite himself despite being a textbook example of a sex pest, but was invited by a third party (Isabella) and noone was talking about having any fantasies about each other.

I wonder how people here feel about the difference of implementation in DAO and BG3 and if it is even a good comparison?

In DAO the characters remained in character and nobody was left feeling like an asshole (or whatever else, in SH case).

S
journeyman
journeyman
S

Haha, there Zevran acts like a gentleman, considering that Zevran is an assassin and a son of a bitch (literally, since it's revealed in the game that his mother was a prostitute) and yet he has more principles than a 400-year-old druid. I like Zevran, he's cordially invited to join orgies at my house anytime he wants (I hope to see him in Dragon Age 4), DAO is a game from 2009 and yet it still teaches lessons on how things should be done. That's why I love this game with all my heart

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Auric
Originally Posted by Sobocles
I've already seen some comments calling her shadowWh**e.
Most comments like this come from the same people pearl-clutching about how she can only ever be purely monogamous and any interaction that can lead to implications contrary to that (like the thread title) should be removed from the game. They call her that simply because the content exists, and ignore that it's only accessible through player choice; choices they themselves will never make and only develop the character in that direction in the context of those choices being made. So it rings a little hollow that they instantly start hurling misogynist insults toward what is otherwise their favorite waifu when in their own playthroughs those interactions will never happen don't you think? Projecting such insults about a fictional character because of content they'll never personally engage with beyond their intense anger at watching it on youtube has nothing to do with the writing or its quality and everything to do with the... social values (or lack thereof) and insecurity of the people making such ridiculous insults.
You're right, and I'm not saying that Shadowheart is that, it's clear that fantasizing about someone other than your partner doesn't make you wh**e. What bothers me is the disgusting way the writer presented it. Like many people, and as you rightly say, I found out about this through a YouTube video. And I assure you, it bothered me just as much as if it had happened in my saved game. It's literally a betrayal to monogamous players who wanted to have an exclusive romance with Shadowheart (which, by the way, is how the elf's romance was initially presented).

Moreover, it corners the player just for exploring dialogue options in the brothel (SOMETHING WE ALL DO EVEN WITH THE MOST IRRELEVANT NPCS). If you refuse to participate in that, Shadowheart disapproves, and if you accept, you're almost forced to take part in the 'orgy', which is literally Halsin and Shadowheart fuk**ng.

There are people who argue it's the player's fault for hiring sex workers, but I disagree because that doesn't mean you're inviting just anyone to join in, especially not someone you know. Shadowheart should respect that, just as the player respects her when she refuses to participate in the scenario where you haven't slept with her yet. Shadowheart seems inconsiderate for not respecting how her partner might feel after revealing her fantasies about Halsin, which was completely unnecessary (especially since, in addition to this whole situation, there's party banter where SH directly flirts with Halsin after their romance scene in Act 3, which I find disgusting).

I have another theory about this: the whole situation is clearly because Halsin and Shadowheart are written by the same person, and it's obvious that the writer wanted to see the two characters they created together. That's why I've always been against the same writer creating more than one character, because it causes them to lose objectivity and start imposing their fetishes and sexual fantasies on the player (which is even worse considering the player could be a lesbian woman).

In conclusion, and to summarize, I do think the whole brothel situation should be modified since it's clear it's not to the liking of a group of people.

N
addict
addict
N
You're right, and I'm not saying that Shadowheart is that, it's clear that fantasizing about someone other than your partner doesn't make you wh**e. What bothers me is the disgusting way the writer presented it. Like many people, and as you rightly say, I found out about this through a YouTube video. And I assure you, it bothered me just as much as if it had happened in my saved game. It's literally a betrayal to monogamous players who wanted to have an exclusive romance with Shadowheart (which, by the way, is how the elf's romance was initially presented).

Moreover, it corners the player just for exploring dialogue options in the brothel (SOMETHING WE ALL DO EVEN WITH THE MOST IRRELEVANT NPCS). If you refuse to participate in that, Shadowheart disapproves, and if you accept, you're almost forced to take part in the 'orgy', which is literally Halsin and Shadowheart fuk**ng.

There are people who argue it's the player's fault for hiring sex workers, but I disagree because that doesn't mean you're inviting just anyone to join in, especially not someone you know. Shadowheart should respect that, just as the player respects her when she refuses to participate in the scenario where you haven't slept with her yet. Shadowheart seems inconsiderate for not respecting how her partner might feel after revealing her fantasies about Halsin, which was completely unnecessary (especially since, in addition to this whole situation, there's party banter where SH directly flirts with Halsin after their romance scene in Act 3, which I find disgusting).

I have another theory about this: the whole situation is clearly because Halsin and Shadowheart are written by the same person, and it's obvious that the writer wanted to see the two characters they created together. That's why I've always been against the same writer creating more than one character, because it causes them to lose objectivity and start imposing their fetishes and sexual fantasies on the player (which is even worse considering the player could be a lesbian woman).

In conclusion, and to summarize, I do think the whole brothel situation should be modified since it's clear it's not to the liking of a group of people.

Maybe author wanted her to be a wh*re, at least he should've made it clear early what are you getting into huh(but again, outside of brothel scenarion nothing suggests it and new epilogue makes her look quite the opposite?)

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Netav

Maybe author wanted her to be a wh*re, at least he should've made it clear early what are you getting into huh(but again, outside of brothel scenarion nothing suggests it and new epilogue makes her look quite the opposite?)

If you ask me about the epilogue, I have no idea since I haven't seen it yet. I'm currently playing and I'm already in Act 3, so I would prefer not to be spoiled.

N
addict
addict
N
If you ask me about the epilogue, I have no idea since I haven't seen it yet. I'm currently playing and I'm already in Act 3, so I would prefer not to be spoiled.
I am saying that in epilogue she is pretty consistent with her writing aside from sharess caress

T
addict
addict
T
Well i never Liked Halsin and im Glad i didant Get this Discusting Scene in my Game..
i get to see it on Youtube becouse in my Game her reaction where a hell lot different and i liked a lot more btw.

But the Problem in my opinion and as i stated more then 10 times already in Similar Posts is this..
This Reaction should only be viable when yu Romance Both..
if not this is Discusting..
The dude its clearly Forcing his way in a Relationship that he was already refused more then 3 times.
so this is Something really bothersome in my opinion and discusting..
So Much that i never Saved Halsin and i even enjoy Killing hin in the Game Just Becouse of this interaction..
I Never Saved Shadowcurse ever again after watching that Stuff in Youtube..
and i even start to look with discusting to the Bear Romance Scene.. will not say what i really think about that stuff.
Becouse for me that its so discusting Wrong that i cant even talk about without getting Pissed off.
And thats how im at with Halsin nowadays..
He is So discusting and Creepy as a Character that i would be Glad if Larian just Remove or Make hin a NPC in the Game..

(They Should keep Minthara as Companion in Both Paths of the Game insteed of this Dude no Joke.)

Last edited by Thorvic; 23/12/23 05:59 PM.
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E

Exactly. If they made it clear that this was the way she was in the beginning, or at least much earlier in the game, then I wouldn't even be here compaining about it. Granted, she probably wouldn't be the most romanced companion. If they wanted this orgy thing + Halsin thing to happen so bad they should have made her like Isabela from Dragon Age 2. There you at least know what you're getting into if you choose to romance her. In Dragon Age 2, you can even tell (sort of) Isabela whether you like or don't like the idea of an open relationship. For Shadowheart in BG3,the fact this thing with Halsin exists makes her romance feel completely deceitful.

With that being said, if any Shadowheart mono romancer comes across this and still wants to play a future game Larian releases, take note of whichever companion(s) this writer creates and blacklist them.

T
addict
addict
T
Just never Save Halsin and evrything Runs Ok bro.
thats what i do always.
If yu Kill/ let hin die or Left hin in act 2..
Yu will never have to come across this Discusting Stuff.

(and Shadowheart will be like she always were from the start of the Game and will not Change for some writer discusting fetish. get it ?! thats the solution for this discusting situation.. Scrap Halsin Out of your Game.)

And larian created this situation..
Halsin never were a Liked Character as far as i Understood.. even Karlach has more fans then Hin..
(another one i never liked..)
So Just Scrap hin from your Game and Never Bother with this situation again.. its Better for your Braincells.

Last edited by Thorvic; 23/12/23 06:11 PM.
N
addict
addict
N
Originally Posted by Ehhhh123

Exactly. If they made it clear that this was the way she was in the beginning, or at least much earlier in the game, then I wouldn't even be here compaining about it. Granted, she probably wouldn't be the most romanced companion. If they wanted this orgy thing + Halsin thing to happen so bad they should have made her like Isabela from Dragon Age 2. There you at least know what you're getting into if you choose to romance her. In Dragon Age 2, you can even tell (sort of) Isabela whether you like or don't like the idea of an open relationship. For Shadowheart in BG3,the fact this thing with Halsin exists makes her romance feel completely deceitful.

With that being said, if any Shadowheart mono romancer comes across this and still wants to play a future game Larian releases, take note of whichever companion(s) this writer creates and blacklist them.
Yea, but the problem with the new epilogue thats not what author wanted(her being a wh*re), so she is kinda consistent overall from act 1 to epilogue aside from her Sharess caress thing.

N
addict
addict
N
Originally Posted by Thorvic
Just never Save Halsin and evrything Runs Ok bro.
thats what i do always.
If yu Kill/ let hin die or Left hin in act 2..
Yu will never have to come across this Discusting Stuff.

(and Shadowheart will be like she always were from the start of the Game and will not Change for some writer discusting fetish. get it ?! thats the solution for this discusting situation.. Scrap Halsin Out of your Game.)

And larian created this situation..
Halsin never were a Liked Character as far as i Understood.. even Karlach has more fans then Hin..
(another one i never liked..)
So Just Scrap hin from your Game and Never Bother with this situation again.. its Better for your Braincells.
Majority of us learned this interaction on youtube. Knowledge of this existing(her"hidden thirst" ) cannot be erased from the mead(at least my mind).

He was loved in Early Acces, his 'EA version" was different, more interesting, more serious and had no horny concent. As far as I know, him and Astarion were two of the most popular character during EA stage, when Halsin was an NPC.
And then John decided to put many fetishes and fanservises into this poor druid when people actually didn't want this: they wanted his story to be expanded (the story, many parts of which were ripped out). But dataminers found them, found dialogues (which were recorded) and, well, you can compare what could've had been in the game and what trash content we got.
And yeah, I'm pretty sure the main problem of this situation is John is the writer of both Shadowheart and Halsin. He even posted "list of Shadowheart hooks/hints/prompts" where tou can find 'Climbing Mount Halsin".

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Noelle666
He was loved in Early Acces, his 'EA version" was different, more interesting, more serious and had no horny concent. As far as I know, him and Astarion were two of the most popular character during EA stage, when Halsin was an NPC.
And then John decided to put many fetishes and fanservises into this poor druid when people actually didn't want this: they wanted his story to be expanded (the story, many parts of which were ripped out). But dataminers found them, found dialogues (which were recorded) and, well, you can compare what could've had been in the game and what trash content we got.
And yeah, I'm pretty sure the main problem of this situation is John is the writer of both Shadowheart and Halsin. He even posted "list of Shadowheart hooks/hints/prompts" where tou can find 'Climbing Mount Halsin".
I suspected it. Apparently, this writer loves to ruin their characters by infusing them with their own fetishes to the point of contradiction. At one point, Shadowheart refuses to share with other origin characters, arguing she doesn't want to be a backup lover, but then she has no problem sharing with Halsin and even encourages you to do so (there is no valid justification for this, it's simply bad writing and a convenience put in by the writer). Even though I didn't play the Early Access, my first impression of Halsin was that of a wise and responsible druid who would guide and advise the group. It must have been a tremendous disappointment for his fans to realize what the writer turned him into

apprentice
apprentice
I find the unnecessary inclusion of romances in such RPGs frustrating, as they are always just a power fantasy and never narratively interesting, but I must admit this discontent is hilarious on a meta level, so I applaud the writer for his artistic accomplishment. I think they should write all romances in any future endeavours by Larian, hopefully in the same style.

A
A
I love Halsin but from what I have seen and heard of EA, I would like that Halsin a lot better. The one we got is a sad guy hiding it instead of a powerful druid.

V
Vua Offline
apprentice
apprentice
V
Originally Posted by Gottfried
I find the unnecessary inclusion of romances in such RPGs frustrating, as they are always just a power fantasy and never narratively interesting, but I must admit this discontent is hilarious on a meta level, so I applaud the writer for his artistic accomplishment. I think they should write all romances in any future endeavours by Larian, hopefully in the same style.

Discontent? This poor guy is permanently scarred because he saw a Youtube of his video game girlfriend thinking about sex with another NPC. What would happen if he realized millions of other people are dating her as well and some are rolling around with her and that bear.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
This made me spit out my drink!

Page 3 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard