Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 90 of 93 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 93
A
A
I haven't reloaded any saves other than DU/Halsin romance yet, but Jaheira
judiciously asks if you are going to have
children
and you can say yes. If you do, she calls herself Aunty and concern.

A
A
Quick follow-up regarding patch 5 and the SA issue. In brief: it's good. I'd only suggest reading below if you don't plan to play through it, because Dave really nails the performance.

When you question his version of events, he admits that time may have distorted his view. I can relate to this: I have traumatic events from 30-40 years ago that I've mentally swept under the rug and act like they are funny anecdotes. When Tav tells him that's messed up, he agrees he should reflect on what it really means. I like that there is no instant fix, because healing just doesn't happen like that.

If you explore some of the dialogue options via save scumming, it covers his emotional state in recent times -- the loneliness and isolation. To me, it does a good job justifying why he essentially attaches himself to this bunch of weirdos.

People who don't care for Halsin will probably never learn these things, but IMO it gives him an emotional story arc between his original state of self blame and second-guessing his decisions to the more comfortable Halsin we see in the epilogue.

Of course I want more of Daddy Halsin, but I feel very positive about the changes they mode in response to criticisms. We may just have to wait until BG4 to get a chance to see Halsin, Astarion and Arabella again.

F
F
My thoughts about the epilogue:

The epilogue itself is really well done, it's sweet - at least the version if you follow him 10 days later - as for the first time in the whole romance I feel like the Tav and Halsin are in a relationship.

First of all, he talks about "us" not "I", like when he is hoping the children are alright without us or when he is afraid that the Tav might want to get back in to a life full of adventures. Also, it seems like he really has settled and doesn't roam anymore, so he really changed a lot.

And still, to me it is still not a 100% proof that the Tav is in a relationship with Halsin - we still need headcanon for that. If it was the writer's intention to show us that Halsin is in a relationship with the Tav, then I am not 100% sure he succeeded in doing so.. It would have even sweeter if Halsin would have said something like "I am really glad I gave the whole relationship thing a second thought" or something along those lines. Or maybe the narrator could've said so a bit more clearly.

Besides that, I am really happy with how the epilogue turned out. And I am really glad that it wasn't about sex (I know, some people on Twitter hate this fact a lot), as in a relationship, it's normal to have sex and you don't usually need to talk about it all the time. Even the "not-see-for-6-month" version is not about this (beside a small dirty joke about bed time stories for when the children are grown up), so I am really thankful for that. Sure, one could say, there is less interest in having sex with each other, but I felt like the "not-see-for-6-month" version was more about friendship (beside the kisses) and what we did for the last 6 month.

If you want to answer to any of my posts with just hate, please just don't answer at all.

If you want just to white knight everything and can't accept opinions, please don't even answer me.

Thank you!
stranger
stranger
Hey first post. I never romance Halsin, but I liked him in act 1 and I was disappointed by him in act 3 to be honest, that he really didn't get anything and the only conversation I got with him was asking to be romantic with me, I declined, but it was disappointing he got nothing else besides sex. I also didn't like how he flirted with Shadowheart in act 3.

However I thought the epilogue with Halsin was really good, I thought it was thoughtful and sweet. I wish we had more conversations with him in act 3, that weren't about sex.

I was very satisfied, so great job Larian.

A
A
I am going to disagree about the needing headcannon to determine they are in a relationship. The lines where he
expresses disbelief that you chose him, and saying that he keeps expecting to wake up are what seal the deal for me.
I see a loving couple making a life together, which I would call a relationship.

What KIND of relationship they may have is left unclear and I would say headcannon definitely comes into play there. It might be mono, or poly, or open or some other arrangement, but it is working for them.

I completely agree having it not be about sex was the best choice.

A few spoilers on variations. Some versions seem to be triggering either the intro or the dialogue section wrong. I've reported this through the usual channels. Potentially mis-flagged ones are the "free hearts" and "busy" choices as well as going with him as an illithid.

Non-DU, Halsin romance
  • "visit" - you arrive together with the narration you followed in 10 days and have full romance dialogue
  • "free hearts" - you arrive together with the narration you followed in 10 days, but have the been apart dialogue. Can kiss but can't get back together
  • "busy" - you arrive together with the narration you followed in 10 days, but have the been apart dialogue. Can kiss but can't get back together
  • break-up - you arrive alone, have the been apart dialogue. No kiss option, just a hug.

Dark Urge with illithid ending - Halsin romance
  • convince him to let you go with - you arrive together with the narration you followed in 10 days, but have the been apart dialogue. There is a different illithid kiss.
  • parting - you arrive alone and have the been apart dialogue. No kiss option, just a hug.

There is no party and no seeing him again if you either commit suicide or go to prison.

veteran
veteran
I liked the epilogue!

I would like things earlier in the romance updated as well, though. If Tav is romancing Halsin only, I wish they would revise the line where he says he only wants Tav, but he wants Tav to sleep with other people. That is a really strange and unromantic thing to say if Tav isn’t already in a relationship with anyone else. Instead he could say he only wants Tav, and ask what Tav wants (instead of telling her to sleep with other people).

I
stranger
stranger
I
First time post. I didn't join the EA stage, but really ended up liking Halsin and rest of the company (sans Minthara but that will change now!). So, just wanted to join the discussion and add my love for the big, big druid :3

I really liked the epilogue for Halsin. I thought it reaffirmed who he is as a person. His polyamory, I realize, could be distracting and almost joke-y. I don't encounter polyamory a lot in other media, and last example that I can think of is from Netflix's "You" S3(?), which in hindsight, was not a good representation of polyamory if you have watched it. Really appreciate that he ask for consent and acknowledge how the other party feels. Gale's response made me laugh and it was sweet from both characters XD
I like the epilogue focused who he is at his core, overall: a kind, generous, big-hearted person. He wants everyone to be happy and healthy. I thought that was very sweet even though that can be a tall order depending on where and with who.

So, about the duck: I'm Korean, and I always grew up with the fact that the symbol of ducks usually indicate marriage and family (Mandarin ducks to be precise, which is related to wood ducks -- which is a migratory bird like Halsin said ;3 ). I'm pretty sure the writer did not intend for this as Halsin still gives a well-carved duck as a friend or if turned illithid (like my Tav did in Halsin-only playthrough). There's a whole cultural meaning behind ducks, and I believe China and Japan share similar symbolism as well (not familiar with how it is in SE Asia and other parts of Asia). Of course, there needs to be a pair to actually indicate the intention of marriage/deep lasting relationship, but the whole epilogue fits with what I was going for as a closure for my first Tav. So, to me, it was as same as asking my now-illithid Tav for marriage if only when she's ready. Because ... she now eats brains for a living.

There are some parts of Halsin I found underdeveloped... which I'm sure I'm not the only one. I didn't particularly liked the bit where he was a prisoner for 3 years was handled, tbh. I couldn't get that dialogue outside of the twins' room, and having that talk in that room felt too weird. First playthrough, did not expect that detail to be shared, in that context, and not in a good way. Compared to Astarion's consistent backstory, it felt out of place. Even with all that, I like Halsin. He felt like an adult chaperoning my party, hahaha, next to my Tav, who acted like a big sis to everyone. Add Jaheira the Auntie. Hahahaha, that image in my mind made me laugh through Act 3.

F
F
Don't get me wrong, it FEELS like Tav and Halsin are in a relationship and the words he's saying are like what someone in a relationship could say, yet it's never said directly.

I mean, if they wanted to, they could have the narrator just saying something like "you, the loving couple, arrive at the party[...]" and there would be no doubts at all. Could be they didn't want to say so, given the discussions people had about his opinion about relationships, mono-/polygamy and such.

If you want to answer to any of my posts with just hate, please just don't answer at all.

If you want just to white knight everything and can't accept opinions, please don't even answer me.

Thank you!
That's probably it, and that's okay.

They are certainly in a relationship, but apparently not in the traditional sense...

Last edited by EdaLee; 06/12/23 09:31 AM. Reason: Edit
Originally Posted by Ioue
First time post. I didn't join the EA stage, but really ended up liking Halsin and rest of the company (sans Minthara but that will change now!). So, just wanted to join the discussion and add my love for the big, big druid :3

I really liked the epilogue for Halsin. I thought it reaffirmed who he is as a person. His polyamory, I realize, could be distracting and almost joke-y. I don't encounter polyamory a lot in other media, and last example that I can think of is from Netflix's "You" S3(?), which in hindsight, was not a good representation of polyamory if you have watched it. Really appreciate that he ask for consent and acknowledge how the other party feels. Gale's response made me laugh and it was sweet from both characters XD
I like the epilogue focused who he is at his core, overall: a kind, generous, big-hearted person. He wants everyone to be happy and healthy. I thought that was very sweet even though that can be a tall order depending on where and with who.

So, about the duck: I'm Korean, and I always grew up with the fact that the symbol of ducks usually indicate marriage and family (Mandarin ducks to be precise, which is related to wood ducks -- which is a migratory bird like Halsin said ;3 ). I'm pretty sure the writer did not intend for this as Halsin still gives a well-carved duck as a friend or if turned illithid (like my Tav did in Halsin-only playthrough). There's a whole cultural meaning behind ducks, and I believe China and Japan share similar symbolism as well (not familiar with how it is in SE Asia and other parts of Asia). Of course, there needs to be a pair to actually indicate the intention of marriage/deep lasting relationship, but the whole epilogue fits with what I was going for as a closure for my first Tav. So, to me, it was as same as asking my now-illithid Tav for marriage if only when she's ready. Because ... she now eats brains for a living.

There are some parts of Halsin I found underdeveloped... which I'm sure I'm not the only one. I didn't particularly liked the bit where he was a prisoner for 3 years was handled, tbh. I couldn't get that dialogue outside of the twins' room, and having that talk in that room felt too weird. First playthrough, did not expect that detail to be shared, in that context, and not in a good way. Compared to Astarion's consistent backstory, it felt out of place. Even with all that, I like Halsin. He felt like an adult chaperoning my party, hahaha, next to my Tav, who acted like a big sis to everyone. Add Jaheira the Auntie. Hahahaha, that image in my mind made me laugh through Act 3.
Hello and welcome!
Oh, what an interesting duck simbolism! Thank you for sharing!
About Halsin being drow slaive... believe me, there are many people who find this dialogue very questionable (people write feedbacks about it on Larian Discord channel) and would like it to be removed. Instead, Laian expanded it for a bit in patch 5 which, imo, made it more awkward. You are right, Astarion's story is well-written, Halsin's dialogue was really out of place. Well, yes, there are people who defend this story, but if you look at it critically and logically, imo, again, too questionable.

A
A
Welcome. You are among others who appreciate Daddy Halsin.

Halsin has much improved dialogue about that in patch 5, IMO, at least for what could be accomplished in a short conversation. I'm not sure why it was included in the first place, or why it wasn't just removed, but the new conversation does address the topic with more sensitivity. Well, more sensitivity than the zero the original comment had.

The duck symbolism is adorable! Alas, aside from head cannon, Halsin also gives a duck to his platonic friends.

P.S. If you don't know, Halsin was originally intended as an NPC. EA players asked for him as a companion and Larian delivered, but as a late addition it does unfortunately short-change his development.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I liked the epilogue!

I would like things earlier in the romance updated as well, though. If Tav is romancing Halsin only, I wish they would revise the line where he says he only wants Tav, but he wants Tav to sleep with other people. That is a really strange and unromantic thing to say if Tav isn’t already in a relationship with anyone else. Instead he could say he only wants Tav, and ask what Tav wants (instead of telling her to sleep with other people).

It's pretty funny honestly, because by the time you can start Halsin's romance in act 3 it's kinda too late to start any others since they get locked in by act 2 (to my knowledge anyways). It's like Larian expected you to be in a romance by then, it just feels weird being forced to "share my heart".

It's the beginning of the romance, he's open and poly, so he tells the MC that to make it clear. Larian certainly knew that there would be players who would only romance him, but that didn't change his attitude.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Yes, and it would be nice if the player knew his open views earlier on when he flirts in acts 1 & 2 (mainly 2).

That, or just let the player have an option that states that he's the only one they want.

Last edited by Mizukun; 11/12/23 03:44 PM.
A
A
I think that probably ties into people wanting Halsin as a companion earlier. It would feel odd if this guy that hangs out in your camp just volunteered the info, even if you flirted with him at the tiefling party.

As I already wrote, it is the beginning of the romance, it makes his attitude clear to the player. We now have a nice ending and the writers and the VA have said goodbye.
There will still be dialogues, but we already know them, the game should be largely finished.
Larian has a new project, it's finally good.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Mizukun
It's pretty funny honestly, because by the time you can start Halsin's romance in act 3 it's kinda too late to start any others since they get locked in by act 2 (to my knowledge anyways). It's like Larian expected you to be in a romance by then, it just feels weird being forced to "share my heart".
True!!!

old hand
old hand
Okay, I took the plunge and forged through to the epilogue on my Halsin-mancer, and... it's glorious. Glorious! I'll accept the forced separation in the pre-epilogue, now that I have this wonderful ending with him.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Okay, I took the plunge and forged through to the epilogue on my Halsin-mancer, and... it's glorious. Glorious! I'll accept the forced separation in the pre-epilogue, now that I have this wonderful ending with him.

Despite the epilogue, I still see flaws in Halsin's romance:

1- And the most important: it still does not give the player the option of cop duty without a prior clue. When it's a romance that starts at the end and you've blocked the rest... It honestly sucks.

2- The player still has no possible reactivity to Halsin's words. If I am the only thing for you, let me choose that you are the only thing for me, what less, right?

3-Lack of bestial content in the 3rd act. It has practically nothing. I love Halsin that's why I'm in this thread, but with the lack of content he has I understand what they say that in the third act he's just making nice at camp.

I add: the epilogue is beautiful

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Chiquidmaster
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel

Despite the epilogue, I still see flaws in Halsin's romance:

1- And the most important: it still does not give the player the option of cop duty without a prior clue. When it's a romance that starts at the end and you've blocked the rest... It honestly sucks.

2- The player still has no possible reactivity to Halsin's words. If I am the only thing for you, let me choose that you are the only thing for me, what less, right?

3-Lack of bestial content in the 3rd act. It has practically nothing. I love Halsin that's why I'm in this thread, but with the lack of content he has I understand what they say that in the third act he's just making nice at camp.

I add: the epilogue is beautiful

I agree with all your points that the romance is still very flawed and lacks content, but I think fixing the ending is all we are gonna get. Sounds like his VA is done so even if we get a DE later on his story will be the same.

That being said, theres tons of room for headcannon and fanfiction, and having this ending really helps with that. Knowing that our Tavs and Durges do have the option for a future of at least some kind with Halsin; and that was I think everyones biggest issue here. I have a few scenes cooking in my head based on my Ranger Tav that Im seriously considering writing down and maybe posting somewhere as I do a full Halsin solomance playthrough. (My laptop screen broke though, so idk how long that will be ;-;)

If this is as good as its ever gonna get with Halsin, then Im content. Maybe not fullfilled, but content. Its good enough.

Lets hope for any future games the writers can take everything theyve learned foeward and improve.

Page 90 of 93 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 93

Link Copied to Clipboard