Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by jsiu.dev
Originally Posted by Brainer
As for the "strong mind", it's not the resistance to illithid influence, but retaining the memories and the personality upon transformation is what's an issue. An illithid kills its host upon completing ceremorphosis. Orpheus simply changing into one with no explanation given (one would assume he actually becomes a mind flayer rather than simply assumes a form of one if it's irreversible and it specifcally requires an actual mind flayer to counter the brain, for whatever reason (it amounts to focusing on a spell, which you'd imagine a powerful enough spellcaster with an intelligence/wisdom to match would have been able to do regardless)) is another moment that is hardly making much sense.

Orpheus used a todpole. In D&D soul/mind can be separate from body. So it is possible to have body go through physical change but keeping the soul/mind intact. It is a magical world laugh But nonetheless, that physical change does affect his mental status. That's why he sought death after the final battle.
Funny thing, Orpheus sometimes uses a tadpole, and sometimes doesn't. If you accept the final tadpole from the emperor, but then instead of transforming, you force him to leave, Orpheus is going to use that tadpole. But if you never accept the tadpole from the emperor, Orpheus is going to turn into a mind flayer without the tadpole (since you don't have any). And there is no explanation provided. laugh

Brainer Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by saeran
Funny thing, Orpheus sometimes uses a tadpole, and sometimes doesn't. If you accept the final tadpole from the emperor, but then instead of transforming, you force him to leave, Orpheus is going to use that tadpole. But if you never accept the tadpole from the emperor, Orpheus is going to turn into a mind flayer without the tadpole (since you don't have any). And there is no explanation provided. laugh
Ah, so that's what it is. I was defying the Emperor at every turn in my run, so there was no tadpole in the final Prism scene, and Orpheus' transformation was pulled outta the arse for all intents and purposes.

Even then, the number of tadpoles given arbitrary powers for the sake of advancing the plot is getting rather ridiculous (two is already one too many...).

N
stranger
stranger
N
Let's not forget System Shock Remake which every big outlet seems to have forgotten about the existence of...

Multiple themes, switching themes, transforming or subverting themes are not in and of themselves hallmarks of poor writing

It's not that, it's specifically that the game seems (seemed) to have an idea behind the plot but it's not even subverted but outright flushed down the toilet because they couldn't bother with how they've handled the Emperor and the tadpole powers. A really sloppy mechanical implementation has managed to heavily cripple the plot, or vice versa. It's like if the whole spirit hunger mechanic from NWN2: MotB was just a source of flashy abilities and not a terrible curse that would irreversibly corrupt the PC if they gave in to it.

To add: there is a fundamental problem regardless of the sauce it's under, and it's that the tadpoles as an issue are completely divorced from the companions' storylines and really the entire plot outside of moments it remembers that they exist. We have plots like, again, NWN2: MotB where every character embodied some aspect of what it was about (dreams, mechanics of souls, spirits and their way of existence, faith or lack thereof...), and Torment, and, hell, even Larian's own previous game to some extent.

In EA every companion's dream person was allegedly deeply tied to them and their insecurities, weaknesses, and hidden desires (for a custom PC those amounted to power and hanky-panky, with any hopes that it gets in any way developed dying together with Daisy). Lae'zel's was Vlaakith, Shadowheart's was her old (boy)friend (who in the main game seems to have been turned into Nocturne...?), Gale's was Mystra and so on. Given the premise of the "loss of self" and everyone having a moment where they are inches away from their worldview or their grasp on themselves falling apart, wouldn't it have made perfect sense for said desires and weaknesses to be used as a way for the tadpole/Absolute to try to sway them over? Lae'zel could become the ultimate warrior of her people, Shadowheart could get revenge on Shar's cult and Shar herself... Cue having to convince them otherwise or watch them succumb, and it resulting in a split of loyalties down the line when the time comes to pick the side.

As for the lack of planning, it's hardly the first time in the past 10 or so years that Larian seem to rewrite their games almost from the ground up rather late into development. Dragon Commander was supposed to be a sequel to Flames of Vengeance originally, and its final form suffered from a lot of cuts and awkwardly stitching together what was there (the final act and the endings were VERY underwhelming and underdeveloped). D:OS1 was meant to be about the origins of the Black Ring and Zandalor (and, I assume, delving into the mage wars described in the older games' lore) before effectively becoming the reboot for the setting and turning into Source this, Void that. The second game's Eternals were orignally the Raanaar from Beyond Divinity according to some concept art, and Damian was likely intended to be the disguised antagonist, actually making it a direct tie-in between BD and Divinity 2 instead of being half that and half a direct sequel to D:OS1. Despite all that, I loved all three of those (Dragon Commander too, despite its shortcomings), but BG3 teeters on the edge of being the equivalent of DA: Inquisition for me as far as the studio's one overhyped but ultimately underdelivering outing goes.

BG3's just the latest in the line, and I imagine decentralized writing didn't help matters much. Before Larian's writing could be hammy and awkward, but at least it was genuine and didn't take itself too seriously. It had a Pratchett-esque quality to it with an overall humorous setting with an occassional heavy theme (albeit handled with a lot less finesse and depth than Pratchett). BG3 is a mess that is now being retroactively explained as allegorical / "always intended as such", with headscratchers like Halsin making it all seem like a melting pot which nobody really cared to bring up to a standard of some kind.

Ooof. I had no idea about half of this stuff. I've always wanted to play Divinity II but my first Divinity game was Dragon Commander which I assumed was just a side story. From what I've read, the pre-Dragon Commander games all revolve around demons and Damian and are somewhat connected. Then DOS1 comes out and the story revolves around Astarte and void stuff. Now, what do Astarte and the Dragon have to do with the Godking and the Seven of DOS2 I have no idea.

Coming into this game I knew there was going to be canon and continuity issues simply because it's a DnD game. In general, WotC doesn't respect the story of the video games even if Torment, HotU, and MotB are way better better than anything they ever came up with. I mean having Myrkul return after what happened in MotB is just lame. Though when it comes to this game everything seems disconnected from one act to the other, plot holes and inconsistencies in the main story and characters suddenly acting differently at certain points in the game.

I wasn't on the doomer side when it came to this game since Larian has listened to feedback when it came to gameplay (reaction system, push..etc) but this disjointed writing is pretty much a staple of Larian and should always be expected?

Brainer Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by night lunatic
Ooof. I had no idea about half of this stuff. I've always wanted to play Divinity II but my first Divinity game was Dragon Commander which I assumed was just a side story. From what I've read, the pre-Dragon Commander games all revolve around demons and Damian and are somewhat connected. Then DOS1 comes out and the story revolves around Astarte and void stuff. Now, what do Astarte and the Dragon have to do with the Godking and the Seven of DOS2 I have no idea.

Coming into this game I knew there was going to be canon and continuity issues simply because it's a DnD game. In general, WotC doesn't respect the story of the video games even if Torment, HotU, and MotB are way better better than anything they ever came up with. I mean having Myrkul return after what happened in MotB is just lame. Though when it comes to this game everything seems disconnected from one act to the other, plot holes and inconsistencies in the main story and characters suddenly acting differently at certain points in the game.

I wasn't on the doomer side when it came to this game since Larian has listened to feedback when it came to gameplay (reaction system, push..etc) but this disjointed writing is pretty much a staple of Larian and should always be expected?
Myrkul coming back is more or less retconnable (the entirety of 5e is WotC pretending 4e never happened and just rebooting the setting like it was before the Spellplague, including resurrecting gods - if Mystra could be restored after what Shar did to her, then perhaps Myrkul could too? It's still a very cheap approach to world-building and one of the big reasons I don't care much for FR since 4e and afterwards).

As for the writing - more or less, yeah. Pre-D:OS days at least had an excuse of them having to barely finish the game running on the last good will of the publisher every time or heavily overestimating their capabilities (Divinity II's world map fits in a pocket of what was originally planned for the game - it's still an amazing game, mind you, with the expansion being especially neat). Beyond Divinity was written by Rhianna Pratchett of all people, and it seems like both that and Overlord are the only two good plots ever written by her. Now, though, their development still remains a poorly thought out melting pot it seems, and BG3 is a culmination of that AND greatly expanding their writing team in size but not in coordination and standard.

At the beginning of act 3, after the party helped Emperor fight off the Githyanki royal guards, he will to convince you to change. And even you refuse, he still hands you a tadpole. So you always have a tadpole in hand. Not sure what happen if you throw it away or destroy it (possible??). I kept it in camp stash. And if I let Orpheus change, the animation always show Tav handed something to Orpheus. Assuming it is the tadpole, as the animation only show hand/arm movment.

Brainer Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

At the beginning of act 3, after the party helped Emperor fight off the Githyanki royal guards, he will to convince you to change. And even you refuse, he still hands you a tadpole. So you always have a tadpole in hand. Not sure what happen if you throw it away or destroy it (possible??). I kept it in camp stash. And if I let Orpheus change, the animation always show Tav handed something to Orpheus. Assuming it is the tadpole, as the animation only show hand/arm movment.
You can destroy the tadpole if you want to, though it doesn't really affect anything as far as I am aware.

I
old hand
old hand
I

You can destroy the tadpole if you want to, though it doesn't really affect anything as far as I am aware.
Correct, Orpheus just magically transforms without any reason or trigger.

Basically Larian wrote themselves into a corner and instead of resolving it or rethinking their "there must be an illithid" nonsense they just brute forced it with no care for story consistency.

veteran
veteran
Who's to say the Emperor only had one astral tadpole? It's not unreasonable that he may have been secreting a spare or two.

Often it seems like some people would prefer to find flaws. Absence of knowledge presents as certainty.

Brainer Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by JandK
Who's to say the Emperor only had one astral tadpole? It's not unreasonable that he may have been secreting a spare or two.

Often it seems like some people would prefer to find flaws. Absence of knowledge presents as certainty.
Having a convenient plot device to just pull outta one's arse with no buildup or explanation as to how it got there because it means rewriting an otherwise poorly constructed story otherwise is not a sign of a good script.

And it seems even more often that people would jump to defending something objectively bad with a lot more rabidity than when something is actually good, because something good speaks for itself instead of needing a legion of apologists...

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I don't think this is the same tadpole, this is the one that expands the powers. You can destroy it unless you have used too many.

Orpheus doesn't always use the tadpole for changing. I have tried both paths and his dialogue is different depending whether you have obtained the final tadpole from the emperor or not. There is even a dialogue option for when you obtain the final tadpole and drop it (this one you cannot destroy). I guess this is to prevent a situation where you can ask him to turn without the tadpole, than pick up the one you dropped and turn yourself.

This is also how you get Orpheus to accept Gale as a solution. He is not going to trust Gale unless you get the tadpole from the emperor, and then change your mind. If you dismiss the emperor instantly, Orpheus will not trust Gale. From a roleplaying point of view it makes no sense, that he only trusts someone who considered eating him, but not the one who refused his enemy. It is because of the mechanics if turning, so that if you change your mind about Gale, you can still turn mid battle if required.

Last edited by saeran; 24/01/24 07:02 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by JandK

It doesn't matter how many he has, the emperor will only offer one. And you can get him to leave without giving you any. Easiest is by attacking him, he just teleports out with no dialogue.

If you have Gale in the party, Orpheus entire dialogue is written around whether you have obtained the tadpole or not. That is why so many people have had problems in convincing Orpheus not to turn anyone into a mind flayer.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Changing such a integral part of the plot, down to the very bones of the soundtrack, themes and choice/consequence was easily the biggest mistake Larian made in production of this game, whether it was from fan feedback or simply because of making the game more "fun" as Larian claimed, we will never know. Needles to say we missed out on possibly one of the best narrative and moral choices we ever could have gotten in the game, it was there from conception and followed throu almost to release, sadly it was cut last minute and the damage is felt throgout the story. And ironically it was pointless because majority of the people still avoid using the tapdole powers, because of cours they would, its their character choices and should have been one of the major ones in the game, not an inconsequential one, and we ended up with a vastly different narrative that how it innitially seemed, even invlidating much of the established lore like with the artbook wich only features the Hearts Desire instead of the guardian or of course one of the main theme songs "down by the river" which now plays more role and makes no sense.

I love Bg3 for what it is, but I will always be sad about what it could have been if they didnt pull out at the last minute for no reason, I dont find no consequences for my actions more fun Larian, Illithid powers should be a choice, no matter how cool or how little people interacted with them.

addict
addict
I’m less critical of the story now than I was originally because some of it is decent even if there are a lot of well documented issues.

One thing that does continue to bug me is the “there must be an illithid at the end”

What is the reasoning here? Why couldn’t you have the option to free Orpheus and have him stay as. Gith? Why couldn’t the player opt for the Gale nuclear option without using either prism inhabitant?

Was this deliberate as far as story goes or does it have something to do with rushing the release of the game?

old hand
old hand
A mortal brain cannot defeat the elder brain as ithat entity can process all possible moves at once. It is always ahead of you. As the emperor explains, only an illithid brain has a chance to match the speed of thinking to make a move before the brain has a countermove ready.
Furthermore the one who combats the brain also needs to control the protection of Orpheus. So therefore the combination illithid power + orpheus power combined in one, is a prime requisite to move against the brain. So we canhave either Orpheus becoming illithid or an illithid acquiring Orpheus protection power.

I don't know how this works with Tav taking the illithid role though as I never tried that (and don't want to) and a less likable NPC, like Gale for instance, is not allowed to change. So if Tav can turn without eating Orpheus' brain then the story breaks down.

Last edited by ldo58; 14/07/24 09:41 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by ldo58
So therefore the combination illithid power + orpheus power combined in one, is a prime requisite to move against the brain.

Except it isn't, because either Tav or Karlach work as a substitute, without taking Orpheus's powers.

veteran
veteran
personally i'm hoping for an evil ending ... something along the lines of 'here take this slave' and make her a squid or just have a magic hat that blocks the big evil brain from reading your mind then stab it in the back stem

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
I
old hand
old hand
I
A mortal brain cannot defeat the elder brain as ithat entity can process all possible moves at once. It is always ahead of you. As the emperor explains, only an illithid brain has a chance to match the speed of thinking to make a move before the brain has a countermove ready.
Furthermore the one who combats the brain also needs to control the protection of Orpheus. So therefore the combination illithid power + orpheus power combined in one, is a prime requisite to move against the brain. So we canhave either Orpheus becoming illithid or an illithid acquiring Orpheus protection power.

I don't know how this works with Tav taking the illithid role though as I never tried that (and don't want to) and a less likable NPC, like Gale for instance, is not allowed to change. So if Tav can turn without eating Orpheus' brain then the story breaks down.

That doesn't make sense, Elder Brains are killed all the time by mortals, without the need of an ilithid traitor.
Neither do have elder brains some special hyperintelligence. They are very intelligent, but so are dragons or even some mortals and no one would buy "to defeat a dragon you need a dragon".

Also "you can't outsmart a bullet", or in the case of D&D a sword. When you are hacked apart with magic weapons as you are big and immobile it doesn't matter if you can think a bit faster than your attacker. You are not playing high stakes chess.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Ixal

That doesn't make sense, Elder Brains are killed all the time by mortals, without the need of an ilithid traitor.
Neither do have elder brains some special hyperintelligence. They are very intelligent, but so are dragons or even some mortals and no one would buy "to defeat a dragon you need a dragon".

Also "you can't outsmart a bullet", or in the case of D&D a sword. When you are hacked apart with magic weapons as you are big and immobile it doesn't matter if you can think a bit faster than your attacker. You are not playing high stakes chess.

Ok, let me clarify my point. Just to avoid miosunderstandings though, I'm not trying to start a right/wrong discussion. We're nor doing historical research here, but looking at a phantasy story in different ways.

Phantasy needs some degree of suspension of disbelief, opbviously. Why could the one ring not be wielded by Gandalf, Elrond or Galadriël to defeat Sauron easily ? Because Tolkien told you so. Does it make sense ? Only if you (the reader) want it to.

As for the brain's vulnerability. Yes you can harm it with weapons, but first you have to get there. Did you see the scene in Z'rells chamber where she kills her ogre servant just with a thought ? What if the brain can read all your thoughts as they form in your head, and can even predict what they will be before fully formed. You think I have this runepowder bomb that I could lob at the beast, but before that thought is complete, the brain knows you have a bomb on you and makes it explode in your pocket.

Realmspace history is not a good guidcance also. The original mindflayer empire was defeated with the help opf Tiamat. But this brain has evolved with the netherese magic from the crown it now owns. So, it has even more powers than the former empire, coming from old Netheril.

I did wonder about Tav changing though. Although it is a non-option for me in this game, but as confirmed above by Tarlonniel, this breaks the story down if you use it. It would have been better to leave it out altogether IMO.

I don't really like this ending either. I would have preferred a true happy ending. But for a writer it is probably more challenging and satisfactory to come up with something bittersweet or unexpected than a happy mellow end. The difference the writer fails to make, (as I see it) is that this is not a novel or a movie of a couple of hours, but a game where you invest hundreds of hours and really get into the skin of the player character. So the ending obviously impacts me harder. I hope that somehow that message would get through to Larian for their next game.

I
old hand
old hand
I
This is not a "Tolkin told you so" situation.
D&D is a brand an in this brand it has been established that elder brains while strong are still mortals and can be killed by other mortals without needing an Illithid.
Especially the Gith are very good at that and are one reason why most brains are in hiding.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Ixal
This is not a "Tolkin told you so" situation.
D&D is a brand an in this brand it has been established that elder brains while strong are still mortals and can be killed by other mortals without needing an Illithid.
Especially the Gith are very good at that and are one reason why most brains are in hiding.

But you ignore the power of the nethercrown. That is a "Tolkien told you so" situation. The emperor says that it is no longer an elder brain, but a netherbrain. Still mortal, but untouchable by creatues that do not match the psychic acumen and foresight of a mindflayer. Anyways, the player is the ultimate decider.

It will also be interesting to see if and what BG3 novelties will make it into DND lore.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard