Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ecc2ca Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Act 3 spoilers

So I think I’ve gone in a weird order doing quests in act 3 and I’m not entirely comfortable with it. First I did the Rivington stuff, circus, talking to Raphael, the laughing amulet quest, the Father Lorgan stuff, talked to the Ironhand gnomes, did Gortash’s coronation, rescued Florrick. (Some of the major things in that area of the map before going to the lower city.)

Then I started tracking down that Dolor guy responsible for Father Lorgan’s murder and I killed him. Did the hag quest (fun!). Then I went to the murder tribunal that Dolor was hoping to gain the favor of, and killed Sarevok as resisting Durge. Hit level 12 here.

At that point I was looking around at the traders and found Helsik who recognized me as Durge, and she offered to give me access to Raphael’s place for 20k. (I had decided that I was going to steal the hammer from him.) I sold half my soul pretty much to raise the money, lol, then went and killed Raphael for some sweet, sweet loot.

By that time Gale had been captured by Orin and I was afraid that she would kill him and it would be “game over” with that godforsaken bomb in his chest. And I’d already done the murder tribunal, so I figured I’d better hop to it. So I went and killed Orin and was freed from all of my murderous urges, etc.

And it feels like I’ve been doing the act in a really weird order. The current plan is to do all of the exploring, companion quests, and side quests that I want, and then tackle the whole Steel Watch and Gortash questline last.

How did other folks go about tackling this act? Because I feel like I may have jumped the gun on some huge plot points? Am I supposed to just roam around for a while before I do anything important? It feels weird being the Durge without being the Durge anymore lol.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
That's more or less the way I do it too. As a DUrge, I prioritize Orin because I want to deal with her first. I tend to go off and take care some companion quests after that, before doing the Iron Throne/Steel Watch stuff. Sounds like we have more or less the same quest order!

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Sadly the game in act 3 quickly tries to force you to do the end content no matter if level 12 or not. I try to avoid any Bhaalists stuff and Gortash as lomg as i can. Also i never read the poster of Florricks Execution immediately. I try to avoid entering the sewers as long as possible. Not playing as DU but a good Tav so far.

How i avoid Orin and comnpanion kidnapping:
Note: In Rivington she impersonates two encounters. I experienced that she can be: Flaming Fist Rowan, the Journalist or the Blacksmith, two of them. That's it, no more Orin at the circus.

In Baldur's Gate i mostly managed to postpone the kidnappimnf encounter by keeoing in Mind, she can only take companions, who are not on your party. It is always Minthara/ Halsin, Gale or Lae'zel.
So i always keep them in party if i reach the point where i get close to the Bhaal stuff. Which causes her to kidnap the little NPC girl Yenna, but you can save her.

In Baldur's Gate City i always start by doing the "Stop the press" and "help the hag survivors" Quests. Then i try to do the companion quests that give xp and don't touch the Bhaal subject. I mostly go first to stake Cazador with Astarion, which grants good xp for killing all the vampires.^^
Then i go and kill Viconia to finish Shadowheart's quest, and yes i also kill almost all the Sharrans exept of Nocturne.
Then i finish the "Save the arist"/ "Mystic Carrion" quest as far as possible.
Then i do Jaheira's quest to save Minsc. If i encounter any Bhaalists, i quickly do Gale's Quest right after.

Then as late as possible i collect the Body parts of Dribbles and do the Temple Murder quest as far as i can without entering the Bhaal Temple yet.
I free Florrick just before i talk to Gortash and then to Mizora. Which grants another camp encounter at night. Then i normally tell her to get lost and don't take the pact.
Then i go to the Steelwatch to save Volo and get the Informations to save the Gondians and Wyll's father. Yes, the latter still works even if you don't take the pact.
Then i talk to Voss at Shaesses's Caress and Raphael, before i break into the House of Hope and steal the Hammer. Byebye Raphael.
Then i go kill Orin and save her Victim, very funny if you talk to her dead mother in Orin's bedroom first. ^^
Then i go to do the last part of Wyll's quest to find Ansur and visit the Emperor's HIdeout.
Gortash dies last before i go to the Nether brain.

I have never played as the DU. But if playing as Tav, it is very helpful to know that Evemts that happen at night, are kinda lined up if you don't rest too often.
Some quests also trigger night events that the game then priotrizes before Orin's kidnapping thing like for example:

- Minsc & Jaheira nagging at each other
- Shadowheart's Graveyard scene after saving/ killing her parents
- Lae'zel and the Vlaakith encounter in camp
- Astarion's Grave date if romanced
- Gale's Boat scene if romanced
- Wyll's Tree Date if Romanced
- Tentacle Romance scene with the Emperor after visiting his Hideout
- and more, i hope i didn't forget anything

Those are all scenes that helped me to push back Orin's kidnapping encounter so it happens later. You can control if depending in wjich order you continue other Story events or Companion quests. I hope it helps ypur guys, too, or at least if not playing as the DU. wink

Last edited by Rebel Moon; 29/12/23 07:14 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
No idea what the right order of quests would be. Act three in general is lacking in coherence, and the bugs aren't helping. Wyll's quest can result in bugged outcomes, when done out of order. Also, some camp scenes apparently can get overwritten by others, instead of getting queued. Happened on my Gale playthrough, I was romancing Karlach, but never got her date scene.

I was wondering when someone was going to ask for this. I have seen the "restartitis" threads XD

I'm only going to write my list of main quests/companion quests/main bosses for the Lower City on a Good Character Playthrough. I'm not going to include side quests (E.G. Hag, Mystic Carrion) because they're easy enough to pepper in at any time.

• Main Quest: Follow the murders. Kill Dolor.
  • Gale Companion Quest: Visit Sorcerous Sundries. Loot the basement vaults.
  • Dame Aylin/Nightsong Quest: Kill Lorroakan. Loot Markoheshkir and Robe of the Weave
  • Jaheira Companion Quest: Find Minsc
  • Minsc Companion Quest: Help Ninefingers
  • Astarion Companion Quest: Kill Cazador
  • Main Quest: Steal Orphic Hammer. Go to Devil's Fee, Kill Helsik, Kill Raphael (I try and kill him as early as possible so I can wear the Helldusk Armor for longer)
  • Shadowheart Companion Quest: Kill Viconia/House of Grief as Selunite
  • Wyll Companion Quest: Kill Ansur
  • Main Quest : Save Captives at the Iron Throne
  • Main Quest : Destroy the Steel Foundry
  • Main Quest : Kill Gortash
  • Main Quest : Kill the Murder Tribunal
  • Main Quest : Kill Orin

Note:
  • I tend to leave Orin and Gortash to the very end, because killing one of them early on will cause earthquakes.

Originally Posted by Ecc2ca
I was looking around at the traders and found Helsik who recognized me as Durge, and she offered to give me access to Raphael’s place for 20k. (I had decided that I was going to steal the hammer from him.) I sold half my soul pretty much to raise the money, lol, then went and killed Raphael for some sweet, sweet loot.
Paying Helsik. You sweet, sweet summer child. Bless. Please, enter my Den of Evil and I will show you my ways:

Helsik only tried to charge me 1K and I refused 8'D
I outright killed her, grabbed her ritual pouch, then read her diary upstairs.
You can perform the ritual yourself FOR FREE, and still go to House of Hope.
PS: loot the infernal diamonds, you need these for the hidden room in Raphael's place.

Last edited by Lillith; 29/12/23 03:47 PM.
old hand
old hand
Rivington : One or two quests in the city : Main Menu ± Character Creator

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
Ecc2ca Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Oh, trust me, my fingers are already itching to click “new game” and thoughts are already swirling in my head planning my next playthrough! Oh, it’s going to be so hard to play through Act 3. I almost want to wait until they do more work on it. Blehhh restartitis frown

veteran
veteran
It's hard to find a good narrative path through Act III.

old hand
old hand
This is my streamlined path through Act III:

Head right to meet Shadowheart's contact, the remaining tieflings, Orin in disguise, the Gur, and Orin in disguise again.
Go to the circus. Engage in various shenanigans. Ignore the body parts quest.
Go to the courier building. Pick up the mail quest and deal with Scratch's ex-owner.
Do all the things at the temple: scold Tara, pick up and advance the murder quest, exorcise the amulet.
Finish the courier quest.
Head down to talk to the gnomes.
Jump across the gap into the next area.
Flophouse: advance Astarion's quest and the murder quest.
Caress: advance the murder quest, talk to Raphael.
Dancing Axe: advance Jaheira's quest.
Head to the coronation and play coy with Gortash. Advance the Wyll/Mizora quest along the way.
Enter the lower city.
Kill red dwarf to stop further murders.
Get rooms at the Elfsong. Advance the murder quest by talking to Devella.
Go put down the murder tribunal, immediately followed by killing Orin to get my companion back. Screw that.
Side quests and character quests - get Minsc via Jaheira, confront Viconia and Cazador, resolve all the things at Sorcerous Sundries, break into the House of Hope, kill Ethel again, free the artist (maybe, if I feel like it), rescue Volo. Visit Jaheira's house if I'm taking my time. Avoid learning about Florrick's execution so the timer doesn't trigger.
Once everything else is done, head down to the Iron Throne, then take out the Steel Watch.
Save Florrick on the way to do Wyll's final quest.
Kill Gortash.
Off to defeat the brain.

And I long rest quite a bit to make sure I advance all those story beats and cutscenes.

Ecc2ca Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I’m nearing the end of the main quest, and if I had to do it over again, I would probably deal with Orin second to last before Gortash. (I killed her before I did any of the companion quests.) So that I could stock up on the most cool gear before our duel.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard