Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by saeran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
W
Comparing the tadpole to the mythic powers in wotr is appropriate because no matter what, our character HAS to deal with them constantly.
You can compare them, I just don't see the similarity. To me the mythic paths are like the DU urges, if WotR had only the one choice of demonic path available.

As for the tadpole, it is not the antagonist of the game either, but a powergaming mechanics at this point. It could have been, if Daisy indeed was the manifestation of the tadpole, which was one possible explanation in the EA. That could have created a personal connection, which could become either antagonistic (if the player tried to get rid of the parasite) or embracing the power (which possibly could have resulted in the player becoming a mind flayer). But the emperor is not connected to the tadpole on a personal level. It's all about him being Balduran; I guess the writer thought it is supposed to be ironic, that the great hero and founder of Baldur's Gate is now a soulless monster running a shady organization in the city underground. Effectively, instead of a story about the tadpole and the protagonist, the emperor makes it about himself. And it's not like any of this matter for the endings. Regardless of how you deal with the dream person and tadpoles, what matters is whether you recruited Gale and if and how you got the hammer.

I agree with everything you're saying, pretty much. My arguments are just about what a GOOD version of the story Larian presented would look like.But your evaluation here is overall spot on.

Originally Posted by night lunatic
Yes, but depending on the origin you play the stronger the temptation is. For example, I don't see why Astarion would refuse the tadpole. Also, there's Durge, who is a slave to Bhaal without the tadpole. So you could try to play as a "good" Durge who uses the tadpole to get rid of Bhaal. And let's be real, even as a good paladin the guaranteed critical once a day is pretty tempting to me.

I agree 1000% on the dreams though. One of my earlier complaints is that the dreams should be available to everyone not just those who abuse the tadpole.

However, your point about the conquest dreams is not the fault of Daisy but rather the terrible origin system of this game. The origin system itself doesn't allow you to flesh out the goals and dreams of your character. You're right, my evil character doesn't want to burn down the city but rather rule a shadowy council behind the scenes.

Lastly, what might make Daisy simply better than the Emperor is that it wasn't shoehorned in there at the last second.

The thing about a good Durge using the tadpole is that, from what I've seen, you don't need to really use the tadpole to stay freeof Bhaal. just having it in your head is enough, you don't need to make it more powerful of give more of yourself to it. The mechanical temptations, I'm less sure about in terms of if the character would know what specificlly they get.

I think Daisy is part and parcel with the conquest dreams. She was written to be a specific type of character who would present and tempt in a specific type of way, and the dreams are part of that. As written, Daisy does not to me seem like a character that could tempt in any way beyond the most blatantly evil offerings you could think of. Obviously the origin system is part of the root cause, but I think the deeper root cause is that Larian doesn't fully understand deep character roleplay. But beyond that, this stuff is all intertwined and fully isolating them is going to miss the forest for the trees.

And lastly, how much difference in terms of quality is there between Daisy and the Guardian in act one? Really think about it. If you ignore everything past the parts of act one we get in early access, how much better or worse is either one? Wecan say the guardian is worse because we know where it ends up (I too think that the stuff surrounding the emperor is less than great) but I think if we judge what we had of Daisy against wht we get of the guardian in that same stretch, the difference isn't that drastic and the Guardian does a better job at what Daisy was intended to do, which is tempt characters into using the tadpole.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Well, for me the guardian was less convincing than Daisy, because now you have access to the authority options in dialogue anyway. That was what interested my evil character in the EA, the ability to control and look into the mind of others, not some combat abilities. I might have even considered it with a neutral character, but she was a githyanki. laugh

My good characters would never be tempted into using illithid powers in the first place. As long as it was clear the source of abilities are of mind flayer origin, it would not matter what guise the dream person would use, they'd not be tempting. Which is also why I've found these guardian interactions annoying, because there is no way to avoid them. Not that different from when Mizora decides to stay in your camp, just so she pester the player, and you can't get rid of her.

Last edited by saeran; 04/01/24 12:14 PM.
J
apprentice
apprentice
J
All this talk of goals reminds me a bit of Sunless Skies.

At the beginning of the game, you declare your goals. It might be Wealth, in which case your win condition is about acquiring a bunch of money, purchasing a fancy house, and collected rare treasure to show off. Or it could be pursuing secret knowledge, and you get a letter from an academic frenemy, which leads down a quest to find out what they learned. You'd travel the same world regardless, but the game knew your specific win condition and could present some story options tailored to what you first chose. And not in generic ways, either, but knowing that you have very specific objectives to meet.

I think that's a problem with the temptations in BG3. They so often offer generic power, or maybe combat abilities. But the combat abilities carry little narrative weight, and they're not strictly necessary for any combat encounters. The Dream Visitor is basically flying blind when trying to figure out what your character needs/wants aside from needing to defeat the main bosses.

Plus, so much of the early narrative is written to assume you want to get rid of the tadpole. And that's it. That's your only goal. It's really hard for the tadpole to tempt characters whose goal is to get rid of the tadpoles, although the Emperor does try it... by arguing it'll help us get rid of them in the long run?

I feel like if the Dead Three or some other faction had been set up as an enemy earlier, then the tadpole powers could be presented as a tempting option to characters whose goal is to defeat this enemy. The tadpole-advocate needs the chance to present itself as the solution to your problems, not the cause of them.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I think as far as motivation goes, the 'get rid of the parasite' works. Survival as motivation is more universal than the 'give into using the evil powers' temptation angle. The issue is that by the time act three rolls in, everyone seems to have forgotten about it.

I
old hand
old hand
I
I think as far as motivation goes, the 'get rid of the parasite' works. Survival as motivation is more universal than the 'give into using the evil powers' temptation angle. The issue is that by the time act three rolls in, everyone seems to have forgotten about it.
Act 3? The tadpole gets redeclared as a benign powerup gimmick in the middle of act 1.
The very last point where the tadpole is seen as a problem by the story is the optional creche.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
My good characters would never be tempted into using illithid powers in the first place. As long as it was clear the source of abilities are of mind flayer origin, it would not matter what guise the dream person would use, they'd not be tempting. Which is also why I've found these guardian interactions annoying, because there is no way to avoid them. Not that different from when Mizora decides to stay in your camp, just so she pester the player, and you can't get rid of her.

I agree with this. I think Larian simply didn't understand this and expected us all to go for the parasite powers. The story is written with an evil protagonist in mind, and becomes inconsistent and jarring if you play from a good perspective. For a good pc, the Emperor becomes annoying and unconvincing, and though it is unclear what Daisy would have become past Act 1, she seemed easier to ignore. The Emperor cements himself as evil by encouraging you to take extra parasites. The better "play" from the Emperor would be to wait and see if you put an extra tadpole in your head on your own: if you did, then encourage you to go mind flayer for pragmatic reasons (i.e. use the power to fight evil); but if you don't he should understand that you never will, position himself as a victim trying to fight back and encourage you not to use them. This would make him more sympathetic to good pcs.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Well, the thing is Durge gets rid of Bhaal when they get resurrected by Withers otherwise they just end up as Bhaal's pawn even after killing the Elder Brain. There's also the implications from early access that the Tadpole and Urge were in conflict. So, there could be a temptation for a good but naive character to stay down by the river over being a mass murdering psycho. Maybe I'm thinking of "Daisy done right" but I really think even done wrong it's better than Emp. In my opinion, what the guardian does isn't temptation (the desire to do something, especially something wrong or unwise) because there is no drawback to accepting the tadpole powers like with accepting the Urge.

To be honest, I don't know if she was written just for a "conquest minded" character because there are different dreams for every other character. Sure, maybe conquest for the custom character which goes back to the terrible origin system of this game and your point about Larian's incomprehension of RP.

Also, I'm fine with it just being an evil path after all this is a setting with chaotic evil crazy characters, just like how a lot of previous games gave you pretty much two paths. Look at MOTB for example, which is by far the best DnD story expansion, there is no reason for a good character to accept the curse. Yet, accepting the curse path is pretty badass and gives a satisfying big F you to everyone out there.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
So, I would love to see a deeper romance option for The Emperor. You’ll have to forgive that I haven’t read everything on this forum as there’s sixteen pages and my browser has a lot of trouble loading them for some reason. Having now played through the entire game, I have to commend the developers, writers, actors, everyone who worked on this game. It’s a remarkable achievement. The biggest addition I would like to see if there is ever an expansion pack, or something like that in the future, would be a fully fleshed out romance with The Emperor.

I didn’t play early access with Daisy, so I’m not going to comment on her except to say that I’m looking at this character without any attachments to earlier conceptions that didn’t make it into the final product. BIG SPOILERS AHEAD. Please only read further if you have beaten the game and are familiar with The Emperor’s storyline and history.

I love this character, and he is by far my favorite. He touches a nerve for a lot of people, and I was genuinely surprised to find so many people online hate him, believing him to be the most evil character in the game, and often get in-game lore about him wrong when trying to articulate why he’s the worst of the worst. I personally find the reveal
that our knight-in-shining-armor is an alien monster with understandable and sympathetic motivations, but who’s also an unreliable narrator, and whose morality and humanity are messy and complex to be fascinating and filled with potential - particularly if you pursue a romance with him. After all, Larian already turned the trope of a monster turning into a handsome prince on its head, then made him into an antihero on top of that. That alone seems, to me at least, to indicate that maybe there was supposed to be more to this romance than what we get because they laid the groundwork all the way in act I.

Beyond the reveal, there’s a lot of subtext and mystery to The Emperor that is worth exploring through building a closer or intimate relationship with him. We get to see glimpses of his vulnerability and get to offer him comfort. The romance scene gives us insight into his feelings, including learning that he cares about the player character when he begins to commune with them. We see that care with how he engages with the player character throughout the scene. Through one of the dialogue options he refers to that communion as a bond of love. There’s little reason to believe this isn’t true as he expresses a similar sentiment if you decide to transform into an illithid and defeat the Elderbrain. He genuinely wants your companionship. Building a close relationship with him would allow the player character to delve deeper into this character, his trust issues and loneliness, especially after learning about how he was betrayed by his friend and lover, Ansur.

Also, we could finally learn the full truth of his relationship with Stelmane. I know a lot of people who antagonize him and get that disturbing cut scene think that this is his “mask off” moment where he finally reveals the truth, but I doubt it’s anything more than a partial truth, just as his sanitized version of their relationship is a partial truth. For one, it makes little sense to reveal that to someone who has trouble trusting you. In the cutscene he’s also very obvious about enthralling Stelmane in front of someone, which seems very suspicious. To me this reads like an intimidation tactic from someone who requires your full cooperation because literally everything is on the line. It’s a threat, and ultimately an empty one. There’s evidence in the game that she was likely his thrall, at least at times. We get this information from Wyll and supporting documents. There’s also some evidence from the document “The Shield Steward Interrogation Log” that he may have been disguising himself and impersonating her, and we have evidence from doctor’s notes that when her condition had greatly deteriorated, he would visit her and ease her condition and discomfort. I can’t know this for sure, but my theory is that they were partners and allies, but given the nature of the business they were involved in while in the Knights of Shield, their relationship fractured. Seeing her as once an ally and now a potential threat, possibly to his life, he either tried to control her in an attempt to protect himself, or force his way into her mind for information, and in doing so caused the seizure that disabled her. However, I do believe he feels remorse for having caused her condition. I believe that’s why he keeps a portrait of her in his old home, why he cares for her condition as it worsens through the years, and why he never does anything similar to the player character. I think he doesn’t want to repeat what he did to Stelmane. That’s my theory anyway. There are other possibilities, of course.

Lastly, building a deeper relationship with The Emperor would allow the player character to help The Emperor better understand the humanity he still has and appreciate the humanity of the player character, especially if they choose not to turn into an illithid at the end. This goes both ways as the player character learns to understand the world through his perspective, and if they choose to romance him in the Guardian form, there could be a moment later on where he asks them if they can accept his illithid form. Lastly, lastly, that deep bond of trust could allow for a new option when it comes to retrieving the Orphic Hammer. You could secure it, then entrust it to the Emperor, and even have a new option to convince Orpheus and The Emperor to work together. This would also help to, at least partially, resolve the issue of The Emperor so quickly abandoning the player character to join the Netherbrain.

This relationship would, in some ways, work similarly to how we build relationships with the other companions, but there’s also plenty of room to develop new dynamics because he can't be recruited into the party, and we don’t get to see our approval rating with him. It’s also one that happens away from the other companions, and could be discrete for quite some time before the rest of the camp finds out.

I know this is a long post, and I don’t normally post to forums, but I just think there’s so much potential here that I wanted to share my thoughts. I don’t know exactly why the romance with him isn’t further developed. It may have been due to time and late stage rewrites. It’s also possible that a smaller minority of players romance the character. I don’t think the latter one is as important as it may seem. Monster romances have two target audiences: women and lgbtq people. They make up a minority of players, not everyone in those groups would be interested anyway, and it’s a romance that develops later, likely when a player is already romancing another character. However, the potential for a compelling and nuanced twist on an old theme, I believe, is worth it. As I said earlier, if there’s ever an expansion pack in the future, I would love to see this. BG3 is such a great game, and I think this would elevate it even more.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Originally Posted by LittleMonday
So, I would love to see a deeper romance option for The Emperor. You’ll have to forgive that I haven’t read everything on this forum as there’s sixteen pages and my browser has a lot of trouble loading them for some reason. Having now played through the entire game, I have to commend the developers, writers, actors, everyone who worked on this game. It’s a remarkable achievement. The biggest addition I would like to see if there is ever an expansion pack, or something like that in the future, would be a fully fleshed out romance with The Emperor.

I didn’t play early access with Daisy, so I’m not going to comment on her except to say that I’m looking at this character without any attachments to earlier conceptions that didn’t make it into the final product. BIG SPOILERS AHEAD. Please only read further if you have beaten the game and are familiar with The Emperor’s storyline and history.

I love this character, and he is by far my favorite. He touches a nerve for a lot of people, and I was genuinely surprised to find so many people online hate him, believing him to be the most evil character in the game, and often get in-game lore about him wrong when trying to articulate why he’s the worst of the worst. I personally find the reveal
that our knight-in-shining-armor is an alien monster with understandable and sympathetic motivations, but who’s also an unreliable narrator, and whose morality and humanity are messy and complex to be fascinating and filled with potential - particularly if you pursue a romance with him. After all, Larian already turned the trope of a monster turning into a handsome prince on its head, then made him into an antihero on top of that. That alone seems, to me at least, to indicate that maybe there was supposed to be more to this romance than what we get because they laid the groundwork all the way in act I.

Beyond the reveal, there’s a lot of subtext and mystery to The Emperor that is worth exploring through building a closer or intimate relationship with him. We get to see glimpses of his vulnerability and get to offer him comfort. The romance scene gives us insight into his feelings, including learning that he cares about the player character when he begins to commune with them. We see that care with how he engages with the player character throughout the scene. Through one of the dialogue options he refers to that communion as a bond of love. There’s little reason to believe this isn’t true as he expresses a similar sentiment if you decide to transform into an illithid and defeat the Elderbrain. He genuinely wants your companionship. Building a close relationship with him would allow the player character to delve deeper into this character, his trust issues and loneliness, especially after learning about how he was betrayed by his friend and lover, Ansur.

Also, we could finally learn the full truth of his relationship with Stelmane. I know a lot of people who antagonize him and get that disturbing cut scene think that this is his “mask off” moment where he finally reveals the truth, but I doubt it’s anything more than a partial truth, just as his sanitized version of their relationship is a partial truth. For one, it makes little sense to reveal that to someone who has trouble trusting you. In the cutscene he’s also very obvious about enthralling Stelmane in front of someone, which seems very suspicious. To me this reads like an intimidation tactic from someone who requires your full cooperation because literally everything is on the line. It’s a threat, and ultimately an empty one. There’s evidence in the game that she was likely his thrall, at least at times. We get this information from Wyll and supporting documents. There’s also some evidence from the document “The Shield Steward Interrogation Log” that he may have been disguising himself and impersonating her, and we have evidence from doctor’s notes that when her condition had greatly deteriorated, he would visit her and ease her condition and discomfort. I can’t know this for sure, but my theory is that they were partners and allies, but given the nature of the business they were involved in while in the Knights of Shield, their relationship fractured. Seeing her as once an ally and now a potential threat, possibly to his life, he either tried to control her in an attempt to protect himself, or force his way into her mind for information, and in doing so caused the seizure that disabled her. However, I do believe he feels remorse for having caused her condition. I believe that’s why he keeps a portrait of her in his old home, why he cares for her condition as it worsens through the years, and why he never does anything similar to the player character. I think he doesn’t want to repeat what he did to Stelmane. That’s my theory anyway. There are other possibilities, of course.

Lastly, building a deeper relationship with The Emperor would allow the player character to help The Emperor better understand the humanity he still has and appreciate the humanity of the player character, especially if they choose not to turn into an illithid at the end. This goes both ways as the player character learns to understand the world through his perspective, and if they choose to romance him in the Guardian form, there could be a moment later on where he asks them if they can accept his illithid form. Lastly, lastly, that deep bond of trust could allow for a new option when it comes to retrieving the Orphic Hammer. You could secure it, then entrust it to the Emperor, and even have a new option to convince Orpheus and The Emperor to work together. This would also help to, at least partially, resolve the issue of The Emperor so quickly abandoning the player character to join the Netherbrain.

This relationship would, in some ways, work similarly to how we build relationships with the other companions, but there’s also plenty of room to develop new dynamics because he can't be recruited into the party, and we don’t get to see our approval rating with him. It’s also one that happens away from the other companions, and could be discrete for quite some time before the rest of the camp finds out.

I know this is a long post, and I don’t normally post to forums, but I just think there’s so much potential here that I wanted to share my thoughts. I don’t know exactly why the romance with him isn’t further developed. It may have been due to time and late stage rewrites. It’s also possible that a smaller minority of players romance the character. I don’t think the latter one is as important as it may seem. Monster romances have two target audiences: women and lgbtq people. They make up a minority of players, not everyone in those groups would be interested anyway, and it’s a romance that develops later, likely when a player is already romancing another character. However, the potential for a compelling and nuanced twist on an old theme, I believe, is worth it. As I said earlier, if there’s ever an expansion pack in the future, I would love to see this. BG3 is such a great game, and I think this would elevate it even more.

The mix of reactions to the Emperor has been interesting to me, too. I notice some people seem to hate him for being villainous and manipulative, but I honestly feel like with what we see in the game, he isn't able to deliver on that. On the other hand, I also feel like there isn't much payoff for trying to build a relationship with him. As you described, it feels a little like they wanted to make him work a bit more like a companion, but he really doesn't.

And I agree with you on
his relationship to Stelmane. I really wish there was more opportunity to engage with this storyline, both discussing it with the Emperor without having to be so hostile towards him, as well as maybe being able to talk to others to fact-check him. This frustrated me with Ansur, as well, where I felt like neither party was giving me a full account of what went down between them, but there was nothing to be done about it. I also personally took the interpretation that Stelmane and the Emperor were once on friendlier terms and the Emperor may even miss those days, but that something caused a rift between them, he responded by trying to control her, and it caused irreversible damage both to her health and their friendship. Given that he only tells you this after you've angered him, I don't take his attitude about it there as his "true feelings" so much as him lashing out at you. That's why I wish that finding some of those documents would present the option to confront him in a more even-handed conversation, where you could ask him how he really feels about how things went. Even in his outburst, he makes a comment along the lines of "Aren't you glad I've finessed my methods?" which in context is definitely a threat, but stepping back, the fact that he's clearly been putting in the effort to NOT have to mind-control his allies this time does seem to imply that he isn't all that happy about how things with Stelmane went, or else he might as well just repeat that. And what happened with Stelmane already seems like an attempt at a less violent outcome than with Ansur, where he was "forced" to directly kill his friend (do I trust either of them on this being necessary? No, but I have no evidence to go on). It seemed like the Stelmane murder "plot" (if it can even be called that, with how little we get to do with it) could have been an entry point to a story exploring Stelmane, the Emperor, and their connection to the early days of Gortash's / the Absolute's plot, but instead we just get some breadcrumbs and a weird trip into his basement. I personally envisioned a situation where the Emperor and Stelmane were in an argument over how to deal with the rising threat of Gortash, and given the Emperor's strong inclination towards his own survival, he tried to force Stelmane to go along with whatever measures he thought would be necessary, only for his methods to eventually be what gave him away as a mindflayer (this fits with some of the hints about how he manipulated their business partners).

There's another thread on the idea of getting him to team up with Orpheus that might interest you. A lot of similar thoughts to what you've expressed are there, too.

Personally, I would like to see a more fleshed out storyline including both the chance for a more hate-worthy version of the Emperor with a real fight at the end (the way siding against him goes now is... not exactly a satisfying experience) and one where you feel like your efforts to reach out to him are actually rewarded in the end. Right now, it feels to me like he's just caught in the middle of trying to be multiple things at once, but without the branching storylines to back up any of them.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
And I agree with you on [spoiler]his relationship to Stelmane. I really wish there was more opportunity to engage with this storyline, both discussing it with the Emperor without having to be so hostile towards him, as well as maybe being able to talk to others to fact-check him. This frustrated me with Ansur, as well, where I felt like neither party was giving me a full account of what went down between them, but there was nothing to be done about it. I also personally took the interpretation that Stelmane and the Emperor were once on friendlier terms and the Emperor may even miss those days, but that something caused a rift between them, he responded by trying to control her, and it caused irreversible damage both to her health and their friendship. Given that he only tells you this after you've angered him, I don't take his attitude about it there as his "true feelings" so much as him lashing out at you. That's why I wish that finding some of those documents would present the option to confront him in a more even-handed conversation, where you could ask him how he really feels about how things went. Even in his outburst, he makes a comment along the lines of "Aren't you glad I've finessed my methods?" which in context is definitely a threat, but stepping back, the fact that he's clearly been putting in the effort to NOT have to mind-control his allies this time does seem to imply that he isn't all that happy about how things with Stelmane went, or else he might as well just repeat that. And what happened with Stelmane already seems like an attempt at a less violent outcome than with Ansur, where he was "forced" to directly kill his friend (do I trust either of them on this being necessary? No, but I have no evidence to go on). It seemed like the Stelmane murder "plot" (if it can even be called that, with how little we get to do with it) could have been an entry point to a story exploring Stelmane, the Emperor, and their connection to the early days of Gortash's / the Absolute's plot, but instead we just get some breadcrumbs and a weird trip into his basement. I personally envisioned a situation where the Emperor and Stelmane were in an argument over how to deal with the rising threat of Gortash, and given the Emperor's strong inclination towards his own survival, he tried to force Stelmane to go along with whatever measures he thought would be necessary, only for his methods to eventually be what gave him away as a mindflayer (this fits with some of the hints about how he manipulated their business partners).

I hadn’t thought about
the possibility of Stelmane and The Emperor’s relationship fracturing during the early days of Gortash and The Absolute, but it makes sense given how Gortash’s rise in the city threatened the Knights of Shield among others. It would make for a fascinating storyline on multiple fronts to uncover, and would also tie that wonderful opening cinematic into the story further. We know The Emperor was part of a tadpoled task force to retrieve the Artifact, and he’s the one who tadpoles the companions and player character (with the exception of the Durge who was tadpoled earlier, then placed on the nautiloid). The camera in the opening cinematic shows the player multiple times the dead illithids scattered about the ship while The Emperor is going rogue gathering up people to tadpole, and we know this is NOT how True Souls are tadpoled. The Emperor explains early in act III that he felt his free will coming back when he found the Artifact, so being able to uncover more of this story in the game and confront him on his role would make for very interesting gameplay. This could also be a pivotal point where the player decides the nature of their relationship to The Emperor. We could hear him finally tell the full story of finding his agency and desperately hatching a plan on the nautiloid by tadpoling then shielding the player character and companions from The Absolute. If he hadn’t done that, all of them would have just been folded into the Grand Design. This would also make for some additional lore and dialogue when it comes to a Durge playthrough given their role in the story.
There’s just so much here worthy of additional writing.

veteran
veteran
I think exploring Stelmane's whole part in this could be interesting. However I honestly think we should just disregard the opening cinematic. It's not the Emperor who tsdpoled us, we weren't plucked from Yartar during the attack which makes no sense, ignoring that honestly is the best thing for the story.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 13/01/24 08:58 AM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
I think exploring Stelmane's whole part in this could be interesting. However I honestly think we should just disregard the opening cinematic. It's not the Emperor who tsdpoled us, we weren't plucked from Yartar during the attack which makes no sense, ignoring that honestly is the best thing for the story.
Except someone else tadpoling us makes even less sense.
But yes, the entire intro cinematic is a mess.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ixal

What makes the least sense though? The major secondary character of the story tsdpoling us and it never coming up, or some random other person doing it and it just not being relevant to know who specifically did it? This is one of those moments where I think the specifics don't actually matter and could be disregarded without negatively impacting the story.

veteran
veteran

I think it's obvious that the Emperor did tadpole us, which makes complete sense.

As for Yartar, I'm not sure what you're saying. The Yartar scene happens after the character is tadpoled. Nothing suggests the character was abducted in Yartar.

I
old hand
old hand
I

What makes the least sense though? The major secondary character of the story tsdpoling us and it never coming up, or some random other person doing it and it just not being relevant to know who specifically did it? This is one of those moments where I think the specifics don't actually matter and could be disregarded without negatively impacting the story.
In the situation the nautilod is in the absolute has no reason to stop, tadpole some people and then attack a city to harvest more. It would only make sense for the Emperor to create his pawns he would then control with the artifact this way.

Last edited by Ixal; 13/01/24 05:16 PM.
veteran
veteran

In the situation the nautilod is in the absolute has no reason to stop, tadpole some people and then attack a city to harvest more. It would only make sense for the Emperor to create his pawns he would then control with the artifact this way.

It would make perfect sense, but that's not what the game says happened. The game doesn't even imply that, from what I've experienced of it. So he didn't do that. That's what seems obvious, but it's not what Larian actually wrote, and clearly not what they intended. Don't give them more credit than they deserve, they've gotten too much of that already.

veteran
veteran
It would make perfect sense, but that's not what the game says happened. The game doesn't even imply that, from what I've experienced of it. So he didn't do that. That's what seems obvious, but it's not what Larian actually wrote, and clearly not what they intended. Don't give them more credit than they deserve, they've gotten too much of that already.

I would argue that some storytelling can be subtle and complicated. Not everything has to be explicitly stated out loud. Some things can be embedded for discovery.

Giving credit where it isn't due may be an issue at times, but taking away credit when it is due is also a thing.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L

I think that’s what happened. He’s trying to gain strength in numbers but gets interrupted by the githyanki.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK

I would argue that some storytelling can be subtle and complicated. Not everything has to be explicitly stated out loud. Some things can be embedded for discovery.

Giving credit where it isn't due may be an issue at times, but taking away credit when it is due is also a thing.

My problem, if Larian actually intended that (which I'm still not convinced is the case) is that our character can't react to it and it would be a truly massive aspect of our interaction and relationship with the Emperor, one which our Tav's feelings about should really define our interactions going forward. If we've been interacting with the person who caused our problems to begin with, we should get a say in that, we should have an opinion and be able to voice it. Leaving something like this entirely unsaid would be a massive failure of role-playing on their part, denying us the full agency our characters should have in their stories. Which honestly would be in line with the rest of the game anyway so maybe it's not so unbelievable.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by JandK

I think it's obvious that the Emperor did tadpole us, which makes complete sense.

As for Yartar, I'm not sure what you're saying. The Yartar scene happens after the character is tadpoled. Nothing suggests the character was abducted in Yartar.
Depends which character you play as. Karlach and Wyll get on the ship in Avernus, and only then get tadpoled.

Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard