Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 49 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 48 49
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I think the brothel, Mizora, emperor encounters have no hidden meaning. It's just animated sex scenes, so that player can have a threesome, or sex with a demon. Similar to how some of the dark urge scenes are slasher horror gore, just for shock value (e.g. Alfira).

A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted by Marielle
It's just to the point of tears... Why do they allow this to be done to Astarion? Why does he let them do it? As I watched that scene, my hands shake and I just want to rush in there and kill them all... Slowly. Yes, there are plenty of "opportunities" in the game to betray Astarion, kill him, say or do a rare abomination towards him, but this is something special.

In Astarion's case it at least is a honest mistake. It is horrible, but no harm was meant. For me the biggest issue is, that there is no way to react to it. It's treated seriously elsewhere in the game but in this case, they just let it slide which makes it extremely creepy.

If you take Gale along, you force him into it, fully aware of how much hates it and he "dissociates" by sending his projection in and leaving. It probably wasn't the intent of the scene that I feel a bit proud of Gale and literally hate everyone else - apart from the Drow. They are ok, it's their job.

N
addict
addict
N
Oh, it's obvious to anyone with a clear head (especially if your partner has a history of severe trauma related to this). I may have spoken too harshly, but it really hits a nerve. I truly understand and sympathize with all the Shadowheart fans who are pissed off about the whole Halsin mess. It's much easier for me, I feel rage for Astarion, not at Astarion himself, but when your beloved wants such a thing... It's a pain.
Thats the thing, it feels extremely OOC if you think about it more(for Shadowheart) and can be justfied only by writers "fun" or bugged something.
Selunite Shadowheart:
Act1 all you can get from her is romantic date ending with the kiss. She doesn't sleep around when unromanced(at all stages of the game), shows interest only in MC. Doesn't want to be a spare lover("In truth...I don't think I'd wanted to be your spare love" is literally her quote from poly proposals in act2) Has all this sweet talk at the end of act2/act3 on romanced path. Her act 3 scene is the most romantic and vanilla one. Her epilogue is very wholesome on selunite path aswell. You are basically in for the fairytale with Selunite Shadowheart's romance.

The Halsin comes, ruins your beautiful act3 scene in the morning by proposing a threesome(just instantly, so ehhh, I saw you f*cking, lets f*ck together next time), putting his nose into brothel shit. Worst of it all is that she actually doesn't fend him off and answers with reciprocity and tells that she dreamt of f*cking him. Of course it raises fat questions and rightfully so.

Then she is back to her normal self like nothing of this happened, Halsin becomes nothing for her again and acts like nothing of this happened.

Sharran Shadowheart
Well, her first thing that she says in act3 is that she can't really love you because Shar forbids this, but you can have all the fun with her. Her act3 scene is disturbing. She breaks up with MC in the epilogue no matter what.
Shouldn't she fit well into all this poly stuff? Like she shouldn't be threatened at all by this scenarios. Cheat with Mizora? No problem, she would've done this too probably. Climb mount Halsin? Hell yes. Orgies? Of course, these are fun.

Don't you see difference in personalities and goals for these paths? Like I don't understand why Larian haven't separated it when it makes perfect sense for 1 path to be into this things and 0 sense for the other path.

Last edited by Netav; 09/01/24 10:25 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Mizukun
As a Halsimp (solo romanced him twice now), I'm going to throw in my two cents:

I can't comment on Shadowheart much as I didn't romance her, but it feels like the writer was just trying to have fun with shipping his two characters together, but didn't account the emotional impact that it might have on some players (I'm not trying to bad mouth the writer, this is just what I legitimately believe). I think the easiest way to remedy this is to lock the interaction behind the poly relationship.

Also all this extreme Halsin hate makes me quite sad, honestly. The guy is super sweet and has layers to his personality other than "horny bear man" if you dig deep enough. Between having to deal with the curse and his guilt for a century, his loneliness (he has no family anymore), being forced into being a leader position he didn't want, his backstory with the drow, etc. It's no wonder he falls head over heels for the player when you literally (figuratively) sweep him off his feet and fix all those problems. UGH I just love this big ol' elf, man.
(And there is a datamined friendship route for him if you felt that he comes on too strongly)

ANYWAYS, I hope Larian tweaks his flags around in the future, including an alternate way to trigger Halsin's backstory reveal without having to do an orgy.

I read your post about Halsin, and yes, I understand that Halsin himself is not guilty of anything, it's just hard not to react to the video of your favorite character being dragged into this "open relationship". The problem is that someone had the "great idea" to ruin the game with these very "open relationships" (in reality there are other, more accurate words to describe this "act", but in the forum, of course, we should call it that). I just imagined what would happen if these "open relationships" were not in the game. Is there any other reason to feel any negativity towards Halsin? No. Not a single one. He really could have been a "good bear" with his good romance for those who like him. The rest of us would just be friends with him, some would like him more, some would be more indifferent, but it's unlikely that Halsin by himself could cause anyone to even want to kill him.

It's the same with brothels - we've seen brothels in many games (in The Witcher, every brothel worker has her own cutscene). Some are happy to go to brothels, some are not interested, but the idea of dragging your partner into a brothel, hurting him, or getting a "proposal" of this kind from your partner is... It's wrong. It's not about the 21+ rating anymore, it's about something else, much worse. Who needs that in the game? If there are such people, they can't be the majority of players, there are tons of genre specific videos for such people, there are all sorts of "erotic novels" and other products of this kind, why is it needed here?

And you can also imagine how great it would be if all the resources spent on "open relationships" the developers instead spent on other things in the game. Yes, the game is great, but there are a certain number of plot points that could have been improved. They could have, after all, made the existing romances in the game even deeper and more interesting, added an extra cutscene for each companion for their romance, for example. Everyone would be happy, there would be no resentment and aggression from players, and it certainly wouldn't affect sales badly, rather the opposite. Sometimes "new" is not always successful, and sometimes "old and proven", like "beautiful romance between a man and a woman", if you do it competently and interestingly (and in BG 3 it's done, there are amazing romances that don't need any threesomes) - it works great, players really like it.

One life, one love - until the world falls down.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Anska
In Astarion's case it at least is a honest mistake. It is horrible, but no harm was meant. For me the biggest issue is, that there is no way to react to it. It's treated seriously elsewhere in the game but in this case, they just let it slide which makes it extremely creepy.

If you take Gale along, you force him into it, fully aware of how much hates it and he "dissociates" by sending his projection in and leaving. It probably wasn't the intent of the scene that I feel a bit proud of Gale and literally hate everyone else - apart from the Drow. They are ok, it's their job.

It's hard for me to understand how Astarion could be induced to do this, knowing his history, his trauma. He allows Tav to do this to himself because of his love for Tav, himself thinking, I guess, that "there's no harm in it", putting on a mask as if everything is fine, "playing the seducer". I wish at least the Ascended Astarion would have behaved harshly with a Tav like the one in this video, ended the relationship and not allowed himself to be tortured...
A big respect to Gale! At least he's doing the right thing. Decent way out of the situation.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Netav
Don't you see difference in personalities and goals for these paths? Like I don't understand why Larian haven't separated it when it makes perfect sense for 1 path to be into this things and 0 sense for the other path.

Absolutely right! Selune's path and Shar's path should be separated, Shadowheart can't behave the same way, her choice of path affects her personality a lot, and Shadowheart's reactions should differ depending on that. Otherwise it breaks the plot and logic.

A
old hand
old hand
A
It's hard for me to understand how Astarion could be induced to do this, knowing his history, his trauma. He allows Tav to do this to himself because of his love for Tav, himself thinking, I guess, that "there's no harm in it", putting on a mask as if everything is fine, "playing the seducer". I wish at least the Ascended Astarion would have behaved harshly with a Tav like the one in this video, ended the relationship and not allowed himself to be tortured...
A big respect to Gale! At least he's doing the right thing. Decent way out of the situation.

In the romanced version of Astarion, he flat out says that he doesn't want to join Pre-Cazador and that's it. However, Post-Cazador Spawn-Astarion says that he wants to find out what he likes. So he is exploring and it backfires, that is ok. It's not great but it happens. That you can't help him out of a very bad situation which your character is completely aware of, though, is absolutely not ok. (Discussing how stupid it is to drag Astarion back to the brothel in the first place, would be a different can of worms.) Friend-Astarion never had his Araj-moment, I guess? I don't know. Or Tav is just callous in that case too. ^^;

addict
addict
Astarion does what he wants and it's too soon and the result in this case is only to be expected. He's a big boy, he can deal with it. My problem with that scene is like, every other part of it.

Everyone goes on about how perfect he is, the pc has no say in what's happening, and in the end it's like "oh yeah and Astarion dissociated, the end." Wasn't I supposed to see this guy as more than a sex object? No?

veteran
veteran
The approach to sex in this game presents a worldview tainted by a crumbling morality. Hedonism is not rejected, but rather appreciated, if not outright celebrated.

I have a different idea of a hero.

I still thoroughly enjoy the game. There are enough similarities between my tastes and that of the writers that I'm able to really get into the characters and story. But I'm also very cognizant of where our tastes differ. These moments aren't little mistakes throughout the storytelling process. They are fundamental differences of opinion in regards to what makes a respectable character.

veteran
veteran
Ok, I'm honestly glad to see Ihatestrangethings banned. Again: threads against devs are not cool, no matter how much you hate a character.

I'm not the biggest Astarion fan, but I always wonder, how he gets reduced to a mere sex symbol everywhere with his SA backstory, that actually is handled pretty well. He and Shadowheart make the least sense for a polyarmoury plot, he'll, Astarion should even decline, if Tav wants the drow foursome with his backstory. I read, that he at least have proper reaction afterwards.

On my honour run I'm currently doing Halsins questline in act 2 with Thaniel and the Shadowcurse. And while it is a nice quest, his first signs of trouble start showing. He says to my gnome girl in a very seductive voice, that she can have him, if she wishes. The first times I thought, he meant ' You have my help', but knowing his development in act 3, it sounds wrong.

Last edited by fylimar; 09/01/24 03:16 PM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
N
addict
addict
N
Originally Posted by JandK
The approach to sex in this game presents a worldview tainted by a crumbling morality. Hedonism is not rejected, but rather appreciated, if not outright celebrated.

I still thoroughly enjoy the game. There are enough similarities between my tastes and that of the writers that I'm able to really get into the characters and story. But I'm also very cognizant of where our tastes differ. These moments aren't little mistakes throughout the storytelling process. They are fundamental differences of opinion in regards to what makes a respectable character.
Idk since when cheating and c*cking became normal and makes for "respectable" character. Or being a creep.

Originally Posted by fylimar
Ok, I'm honestly glad to see Ihatestrangethings banned. Again: threads against devs are not cool, no matter how much you hate a character.

I'm not the biggest Astarion fan, but I always wonder, how he gets reduced to a mere sex symbol everywhere with his SA backstory, that actually is handled pretty well. He and Shadowheart make the least sense for a polyarmoury plot, he'll, Astarion should even decline, if Tav wants the drow foursome with his backstory. I read, that he at least have proper reaction afterwards.

On my honour run I'm currently doing Halsins questline in act 2 with Thaniel and the Shadowcurse. And while it is a nice quest, his first signs of trouble start showing. He says to my gnome girl in a very seductive voice, that she can have him, if she wishes. The first times I thought, he meant ' You have my help', but knowing his development in act 3, it sounds wrong.

I can see Shar SH being fine with polyamory(or even encourage this). Selune SH has way different relationship goals and personality(she is literally torn from that cult and finally she is free), makes no sense for polyamory(at least make her more threatened? Maybe some persuasion required too, she should be bothered).

Last edited by Netav; 09/01/24 03:27 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Netav
Originally Posted by JandK

Idk since when cheating and c*cking became normal and makes for "respectable" character. Or being a creep.

Again, it's a crumbling morality, often defined as "sex positive." Right and wrong get shifted to grey. The nature of sex and identity gets complicated for the "hero." It all becomes a core trait of the hero's journey.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I honestly identify with Wyll when it comes to romance and such. Shame he's considered boring.

addict
addict

The scene with Ascendant plays out differently - he's getting attention instead of giving it like Spawn Astarion, they also both feed on the twins. Tav notices something is wrong after the whole thing and not during it. Either he was better at acting, he enjoyed it to some extent but still feels shit afterwards, or Tav just wasn't paying enough attention. You can see it in the spoiler if you feel like it.

The drow scene is crappy on it's own but what might be even worse is that there is no conversation about the whole encounter afterwards. He cannot be comforted in any way.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Anska
In the romanced version of Astarion, he flat out says that he doesn't want to join Pre-Cazador and that's it. However, Post-Cazador Spawn-Astarion says that he wants to find out what he likes. So he is exploring and it backfires, that is ok. It's not great but it happens. That you can't help him out of a very bad situation which your character is completely aware of, though, is absolutely not ok. (Discussing how stupid it is to drag Astarion back to the brothel in the first place, would be a different can of worms.) Friend-Astarion never had his Araj-moment, I guess? I don't know. Or Tav is just callous in that case too. ^^;

I think a true friend would never let Astarion bite that vile Oblodra. I will always kill her simply for her boorish attitude towards Astarion, that's reason enough for me. But I will admit something that I take the game too seriously - to me the characters are alive, I don't get to "test" the game, I can only pick and choose even within the test what would be acceptable in reality. I don't think this approach is right, of course, and I'm often overly emotional about Astarion. Of course, a different approach to the game doesn't make anyone heartless.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ametris
The scene with Ascendant plays out differently - he's getting attention instead of giving it like Spawn Astarion, they also both feed on the twins. Tav notices something is wrong after the whole thing and not during it. Either he was better at acting, he enjoyed it to some extent but still feels shit afterwards, or Tav just wasn't paying enough attention. You can see it in the spoiler if you feel like it.

The drow scene is crappy on it's own but what might be even worse is that there is no conversation about the whole encounter afterwards. He cannot be comforted in any way.

Maybe he doesn't want to show his weakness. Hiding his vulnerable side, he's a Lord. I wish I could burn this brothel down... Although it's better to sit in the lotus position and recite the mantra "This has never happened in my game and will never happen. My Astarion has nothing to do with it." That's the only thing that helps with scenes like this frown

N
addict
addict
N
Maybe he doesn't want to show his weakness. Hiding his vulnerable side, he's a Lord. I wish I could burn this brothel down... Although it's better to sit in the lotus position and recite the mantra "This has never happened in my game and will never happen. My Astarion has nothing to do with it." That's the only thing that helps with scenes like this frown
I wish I could do this, but I cannot anymore. Knowledge of some things is a burden indeed. Talking about some very questionable SH/Halsin interactions of course.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by fylimar
I'm not the biggest Astarion fan, but I always wonder, how he gets reduced to a mere sex symbol everywhere

This.

old hand
old hand
Because he's designed that way. Geez.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
A
old hand
old hand
A
But while we might skill into Evocation so Astarion's hair doesn't get in disarray when we thunderwave the enemies around him, he is more than his coiffure - at least I hope most people like him because they really like him.

Page 26 of 49 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard