Next Thread
Print Thread
Y
yllen Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Y
Once I got into the Goblin sanctum, I followed the quest leader to the priestess since I'm supposed to be hell bent on removing the parasite and supposedly she can help. So off we go to her room, and I split the party and let my pals wait outside. I can't remember exactly how but the sleeping potion didn't end up putting me to sleep, she just aggro'd and I end up having to fight her. Plus she then calls for reinforcements so her mates outside then bang the drums and call for more help so I'm left with a super interesting dual fight. Me + my ranger wolf spider companion vs. Gut, and Lae'zel, Gale and Shadowheart outside fending off the goblins and wargs.

I did manage to kill her solo with my spider help and then had to lock pick the door to get back outside and help finish off.

But then when I explored the rest of the place, every boss immediately aggro'd me so (having read up on this afterwards) I missed out on all the dialog with Minthara and Dror Ragzlin. Is this supposed to be an outcome? Any idea what I did wrong? All the 'walkthroughs' I read afterwards said I should be able to kill Gut in peace albeit 1v1 and then walk away and explore the rest of the place.

veteran
veteran
You didn't do anything wrong. It's just the way your playthrough went through based on your choices and actions. My first experience in early access was similar to what you're describing.

The sleep potion probably didn't work because you were playing an elf or a half-elf, neither of which can succumb to magical sleep.

veteran
veteran
If you ask Gut to talk a bit more privately, she will lead the whole party into her room and you can dispatch her discreetly.
If you ask her for help, you will make her suspicious and your scenario plays out. If you can put to sleep, then you wake up in a cell and a person,sent by someone,you have already met by then, will come and free you.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
J
apprentice
apprentice
J
It took some reloading, but I was also able to kill her 1 v 1 as a Drow (sleeping potion didn't work on me) if you silence her before she calls for help. Calling for help is an action that requires sound, so this prevents anyone outside the room from hearing.

veteran
veteran
  • Elves cannot be put to sleep so the potion does not work on them, which is why she outright attacks you
  • Once this happens you have a single turn to kill her before she yells for reinforcements
  • To deal with her you can also simply bring in your party from the right side of the demolished wall while she's locked in turn-based combat and then either kill her, silence her or crowd-control her
  • If she manages to scream for reinforcements you have to ensure none of the goblins bang any drums. If they bang the drums then everyone turns permanently hostile and at that point there's no content for you at the Goblin Camp

Y
yllen Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Y
Originally Posted by JandK
You didn't do anything wrong. It's just the way your playthrough went through based on your choices and actions. My first experience in early access was similar to what you're describing.

The sleep potion probably didn't work because you were playing an elf or a half-elf, neither of which can succumb to magical sleep.

Ah ofc - that was it. I play as HE. I did wonder why one of the dialog options was prefixed with [HALF-ELF]. The way the dialog ended up playing out was a bit weird though - like something that should have happened didn't. I drank the thing and nothing happened and suddenly she aggro's me. Surely a priestess of her stature would know I was a HE and would know that sleeping potions wouldn't work on me...

A
old hand
old hand
A
As Crimsomrider wrote, that scene can get out of hand very quickly. I had her win initiative once and it instantly ended up being a blood bath - clearing the main hall had not been the plan.

T
addict
addict
T
There's a few scenarios that can occur to allow you to kill Gut discreetly:

1) Get put to sleep by her potion and have your party pick the locks (Or steal her key beforehand) to go into her basement while she's still talking to your character. Of course, this won't work for Elf/Half-elf which are immune to being put to sleep (But you can have one of your non-Elven companions talk to her instead).

2) Antagonise her and try and beat her in 1 turn before she calls for help.

3) Attack her with your whole party while she's in her room alone and beat her in 1 turn before she calls for help.

4) Attack and kill her and simply run into her basement before someone bangs the drums which will de-escalate the situation (As the other goblins will only be "Temporarily Hostile" from being called which can be cleared by leaving the area)

I find the easiest way to beat her on the down low, is bring my entire party in the room and then spam Hold Person on her until it lands (She has pretty high WIS saves being a Priestess and all) since for whatever reason, that spell doesn't cause aggression even on Tactician. Once it lands, go to Turn Based and have your party wail on her with 100% accurate critical melee attacks.

Originally Posted by yllen
I drank the thing and nothing happened and suddenly she aggro's me. Surely a priestess of her stature would know I was a HE and would know that sleeping potions wouldn't work on me...

You say that but, goblins - Even Priestesses - Aren't the brightest crayons in the box. Also, outside of the recent takeover by the Absolute, they won't have had much contact with other races besides killing and/or eating them what with their limited social tendencies.

Like, the most well read goblin you can encounter is found reading one of Volo's books which is not the most... Accurate of sources.

old hand
old hand
5) Cast Silence on her, and she can't scream for help.

She will try to get out of the silence bubble of course, but that's just another AOO for you.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
apprentice
apprentice
When you and your Party go into her Room close the Door behind you before you attack her

May the Force be with you

Link Copied to Clipboard