Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22
A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted by t1mekill3r
The more I see of Karlach's origin the more it feels like somebody's fanfiction.

And all those unique interactions that have no reason to be exclusive to her., It's like they really want everyone to play it.

Writing up my favourite little things for the other thread made me realise how true this is. (Not the fanfiction portion though that is very true as well.) I had originally wondered if Gale's conversation about post battle tingles was something they had made especially for Astarion-Origin because it fits so well. It isn't and it works really well for many other characters too. That it's not exclusive doesn't make it less enjoyable on the Origin. Same with most of the (Wizard) dialogue options. I am pretty sure most of those were written with Gale in mind as some have his speech pattern, but they can also work very nicely for other wizards, so it's nice they got shared.

Also bumping the thread a bit.

addict
addict
In his origin the whole ending sequence is meh.

We chill behind those crates until sunset. Then there's a scene in some cave with that tied up guy, and it's light outside, implying this is at least the next day. Narrator says we will flourish in the city. And then we get the scene where it's again implied to be the day after the docks where we choose what we will do next and we can choose to have nothing to do with the city.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by t1mekill3r
Narrator says we will flourish in the city. And then we get the scene where it's again implied to be the day after the docks where we choose what we will do next and we can choose to have nothing to do with the city.

Logical and consistent writing at its finest. rolleyes

It really seems like the narrator doesn't understand Astarion. That comment, plus 'the caress of a lover' and him 'knowing how to find comfort'.

addict
addict
The narrator has no idea what's going on.

In his origin at one point the narrator says Cazador's coven is near Baldur's Gate while the palace is literally in the middle of the city.

Or during the forced long rest between Act 2 and 3: "you are hungry, beyond blood, beyond lust." Thank you for reminding me I'm playing a vampire, because the last time blood hunger was mentioned was beginning of Act 1. And not a single lustful thought.

A
old hand
old hand
A
More related to the ending: Is Astarion singling you out for killing Cazador even though he was present a new thing or a bug?

addict
addict
When? I don't remember him doing that.

A
old hand
old hand
A
During the morning after conversation after defeating the brain. I am currently getting "We've dealt with the parasite. And you dealt with Cazador." on my admittedly somewhat old safe. He was present during the Cazador-fight but we started it with a sneak attack.

Last edited by Anska; 01/01/24 11:43 AM.
addict
addict
It has to be a bug. He didn't do that in my Patch 4 save last I checked.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Brushing the dust of this one.

I did Astarion's Origin again because I missed all the special content the first time around - which really shouldn't be possible - and apart from my many, many grievances with it, I deeply enjoyed not ascending in the Origin version. Because you can break off the ritual at multiple points, there is a lovely sense of intensity and drama to it. You can get the whole ferocity of carving the runes into Cazador's back and then decide last minute that it's not worth the cost after all. It also helped that I had my trusty wizard with me because I really like how Gale handles the situation. He at first helps Astarion carve the runes because he shows empathy with Astarion's situation and on the second stage appeals to his conscience because of the great cost of life, later on revealing that he was also concerned how killing so many people would have made Astarion feel in the long run. Compared to Tav's dialogue in the scene, it felt overall warm and caring. (Which of course is also due to the voice acting.)

I wish, the companion version had this stepped approach to abandoning the ritual because it just feels more cathartic and it also matches some of the dialogue options of the post-graveyard conversation better - I also wouldn't mind if the Tav dialogue would allow for a bit more empathy with Astarion.

addict
addict
How do you even miss that? By not long resting often enough?

And Tav often has the emotional capacity of a brick in general.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Not quick-saving enough! Shadowheart caught me biting someone before the first long rest (she must have had eagle eyes), so the whole dream sequence didn't happen - because biting someone is of course the only point of that one. In the Shadow Curse, when meeting Raphael by the Gauntlet, I did not instantly jump on the ritual specific dialogue when it casually came up mid conversation but you only have that one chance to do so, my last saving point was Last Light. And finally, the Blood of Lathander scared off Dal and Petras (and at the time I didn't realise it was Shart's mace that had scared them off) .... It was my first run, so I couldn't metagame the whole situation and it is ridiculously easy to miss these things if you are not looking for them and not hit F5 often enough. ^^

Last edited by Anska; 18/01/24 12:12 PM.
addict
addict
It's a shame that we only get that one flashback, and only if we can keep our secret long enough. It's also a shame that we barely ever get to bite someone in dialogue. He looks so good when he chomps on Araj, even if she turns out disgusting.

Speaking of the ritual, another thing I liked when doing his personal quest as him was that you can be nice with the kids and other spawn in the cells, or you can just outright tell them that being turned was an improvement.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Ha, yes, though I was nice to them.

It's not just the flashback. Shadowheart caught me on the second snack. The first was a bandit, who was definitely a forbidden meal and there was no mention whatsoever that Astarion had just done something forbidden.

It would be nice to use the Araj bite on your companions after you have asked them for a snack - or when you chose to attack Lae'zel because she smells oh so tasty.

apprentice
apprentice
A new hotfix 16-17 has been released, has anyone checked the ending of Astarion's redemption? Is he still being incinerated?

B
B
Anyone know what the patch 6 thing regarding Avatar Astarion actually amounts to?

"Added additional Avatar Karlach and Avatar Astarion reactivity within God Gale's dialogues in the epilogue, allowing them to request a cure for their conditions."

I'm assuming that's just if you are playing as those origin characters?

# Justice for Astarion
A
old hand
old hand
A
Yes, that's what the Avatar means. I don't have God Gale with my Astarion, but when I attended the party with Avatar God Gale, Karlach asked if Gale could help her fixing her heart. So maybe you can now ask God Gale for a favour if you play as one of them?

B
B
Interesting, so Larian are actively doing something re cures for Karlach and Astarion even if it hasn't gone any further as yet. Might signal something down the road I guess.

God Gale could certainly fix them - as a dnd god he'd have access to a proper wish spell

Last edited by Bethra; 17/02/24 12:04 AM.

# Justice for Astarion
A
old hand
old hand
A
I have read people mention that it's odd, that you are friends with a god but cannot ask him for help. So it is nice that they added it. I doubt it will help both of them much though, because when you play as God Gale, the narration tells you that Gale isn't just free to just help his old buddies. They have to be willing to pray for his favour. So I am curious how the scene plays out. I am sure, yt will provide.

What the patch notes didn't mention, unless I missed it, is that Avatar Spawn Astarion now has a new ending option - with romanced human Gale at least - to move to the Underdark together to help the other spawn. Even the party dialogue was slightly adapted so that it sounds like they are both working together in keeping the spawn save. It has all the "together we can do everything" energy that romanced Spawn Astarion's ending never quite manages. I am really happy about it. (As I have mentioned in two other threads, so I will now shut up about it. shadowheartgiggle )

B
B
I'm gathering that Ascended Astarion has 3 new kiss animations that seem to err onto the side of sadomasochism, read a post on discord about it and looked them up on utube and 2 of them seem a bit that way, but I have just started a new game so have a while to go before getting to that point. Seems a bit unnecessary to me and I hope its not as bad as that when I see them in game.
Still think someone at Larian really doesn't like Astarion, ascended or otherwise.

Last edited by Bethra; 17/02/24 12:49 AM.

# Justice for Astarion
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Anska
I doubt it will help both of them much though, because when you play as God Gale, the narration tells you that Gale isn't just free to just help his old buddies. They have to be willing to pray for his favour. So I am curious how the scene plays out. I am sure, yt will provide.

There you go.

Page 20 of 22 1 2 18 19 20 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard