Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Had an awesome plan to only do the absolute essentials in ACT 1 and then bring back Minthara to experience all the rest of the content with her, but unfortunately she is known to refuse going back to previous acts...

Or is she... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I present to you the power of Silence:

[Linked Image from bg3.wiki]

• Cast Silence upon the party (because companions cannot trigger dialogues while silenced, therefore Minthara cannot trigger her act-traversing refusal dialogue)
  • Then fast-travel back to ACT 1

And now you're free to experience all of the remaining content with Minthara in ACT 1, including the Mountain Pass as well grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

old hand
old hand
Does she have commentary or is she mute?

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Pretty sure she won't have anything to say, but that's okay. I just like having her with me wherever I go grin

F
addict
addict
F
That's a cool trick. More time with Minthara, one of my favourites.

Regarding Silence, I used it to aggro Moonrise defenders in 1's and 2's and systematically wipe the place clear. Bonus, as a Concentration Ritual, it doesn't cost a slot and activates the weird ring that does +d4 psychic damage while concentrating.

It's a really good spell, still using it end of Act 3.

veteran
veteran
Wait what!!! Oh goodness, this is perfect! haha

I'm of the same mind. Even if she doesn't have dialog, though that would be better, just bringing her to the Creche seems like it would be pretty entertaining. I guess it'd be too much to hope for a bunch of secret underdark content, but whatever. I'm totally trying this next time! Good looking out

veteran
veteran
ps. Success heheh

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Actually makes sense for her, considering she abandoned Lolth grin

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Haven't been this excited for an ACT 1 playthrough in months, this is LEGENDARY! grin

apprentice
apprentice
Does it work with halsin too?

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by altariel
Does it work with halsin too?

Good question actually. Yes it does! grin

old hand
old hand
It’s so weird seeing them hanging out together, admiring the scenery. You should have them fight to the death. See who wins. Then reload the save, lol.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Ecc2ca
You should have them fight to the death. See who wins.
[Linked Image from bg3.wiki]
*DISCLAIMER: The Dark Urge is not responsible for any fatal injuries sustained when committing any wrongdoings towards Minthara!* grin

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by Ecc2ca
It’s so weird seeing them hanging out together, admiring the scenery. You should have them fight to the death. See who wins. Then reload the save, lol.

This is what is missing in this iteration of Baldur's gate. I love this game, and love the fact that it exists and the effort Larian put in it. I just think that it lacks a touch of humor and oh #&%! moments.

Just to elaborate: the humor is present and well written at times, but it just lacks the laugh out loud moments such as dialogue from the Lilacor in BG2 (amongst many other things). Sure they attempted a similar thing with the Sentient Amulet, but it just wasn't as funny to me. Similarly, and although Matt Mercer did a bang-up job with Minsc's voice, he was still a voice actor imitating a voice actor that brought this character to life. I found his 'imitation' to probably be as close as possible to Jim's, but Jim's voice really delivered the essence of Minsc, whereas Matt is doing his best to re-produce it.

As for the oh #&%! moments, none of my friends or I that played BG2 can ever forget "the Yoshimo moment" on the first play-though. Basically freezing you in disbelief staring at the screen trying to process what just happened. Also, re: Eccca's comment, I remember having Minsc, Jaheira and Edwin in a play-though whereby after a long while of Edwin's non-stop poking with disparaging commentary towards Minsc and his witch, Minsc went into rage mode thereby making me lose control of him (red circle and all) and Crit-exploded Edwin with body parts flying all over the place. Priceless.

I think some of these crazy types of moments could have been put in this game. That's really my only comment outside the bugs and inventory management.

Waiting on patch 6 for my first full-blown evil play-though, and doing it honor mode (I'm sure there are a lot I haven't seen which will heighten the anxiety of consequential decisions)

Last edited by Minscforlife; 13/02/24 10:12 PM.
B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
Actually makes sense for her, considering she abandoned Lolth grin
When tortured at Castle Moonrise she cries out for Mommy, i.e. Lollth.
I'm fairly sure she says
"Spider Queen, save me!"
or words to that effect.

And she really does not give off any Eilistrae following vibes ... Minthara is Evil to the core.

Last edited by Buba68; 14/02/24 12:10 AM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Erm... no, because she abandoned Lolth way before the game's actual events. What she actually says (if romanced) is that she prayed for her lover to save her, but that there are no gods left to her. Otherwise if not romanced she'll just want a swift death to be free of the Absolute.

Not to mention that a Lolth-sworn player has a dozen dialogue choices to outright kill her for abandoning Lolth, and Minthara even has a unique dialogue in Act 2 where she dismissively talks about the Lolth-sworn player still following Lolth.

But anyway; I was merely referring to her pulling Eilistraee's sword out because there's poetic beauty in an exile of Lolth doing it. Not implying she'd actually ever follow her because she's obviously quite fed up with all the gods.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
But anyway; I was merely referring to her pulling Eilistraee's sword out because there's poetic beauty in an exile of Lolth doing it. Not implying she'd actually ever follow her because she's obviously quite fed up with all the gods.
Now clear smile

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Just here to confirm that she does actually have exploration voice lines for the Mountain Pass, even things like the elevator mechanism and the destruction of the creche.

She probably was intended to be able to go there during development, but now it's just cut content available only by silencing her.

Oh, I tried this method too a while back! This spell got some use after all, so I'm here to report my findings hehe.

As a preface, I used a mod called "More Reactive Companions" and, with a little tinkering, this achieves two things:
1. Minthara will always react to everything first.
2. Upon interacting with an object, instead of Tav or Durge, Minthara will be the one making a comment about it.

With this mod, I discovered Minthara has a reaction to almost everything in Act 1, but there's a catch: 99% of her dialogue are duplicates to Tav or Durge (unlike other companions, who have unique lines) and those same duplicates are mostly unvoiced.

As it's been pointed out above, she has several voicelines in the creche. This does not apply to the Underdark or Grymforge, sadly, all of her overworld lines there are mute - unless I missed something.

There's a voiceline here if you interact with the wheel as Minthara.

And here when you simply pass by.

And here. Tav or Durge also says this, so it's not unique.

This one, however, is unique. She has a reaction to what happened with Vlaakith. This is pre-patch 6 so it's not replaced with the Emperor line XD

I made this meme with a picture I took of her at the Creche, very productive as you can see.

I'm assuming what's left of her lines are simply residues they haven't been able to clean up yet. With all that said, I did almost 90% of Act 1 with Minthara and I can say I very much enjoyed it. Her presence is enough to enhance my experience lol, so yeah. Thanks for reading :3

Minthara bug list, updated for Hotfix #22.
veteran
veteran
she is evil but thats not all she can be... i do like the idea of her using the bard sword to right wrongs in the underdark wink

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by rendemption
This one, however, is unique. She has a reaction to what happened with Vlaakith. This is pre-patch 6 so it's not replaced with the Emperor line XD

More proof Larian just rushed her development and cut her off from everything that would've made her an amazing and integrated companion.

Might start a revolution to bring back her cut content for the Creche too, but for now I'll be satisfied with just her basic content first grin

Link Copied to Clipboard