Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#930529 28/12/23 11:31 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
So, what is *the* thing to do here, in Act 3?

I rushed to the Iron Throne straight from the inauguration, before talking to Wyll and Mizora in camp, I figured - Wyll's Contract was ending and I know where he is. She won't interfere, she *is* lawful, in the end. If she can't renegotiate the deal, me and Wyll would have cake and eat it too.

Alas, that cake was a lie. Well, she didn't interfere, but, if you do that, you find Ravenguard dead and she'll offer to raise him. Kind of stupid, as I have a dozen revive scrolls including Gales True Res scroll, but it doesn't work on him.

So, now to the crux of the matter.

Wyll has to make a decision, but for some stupid reason, you cannot leave it to him to decide. All other main companions can decide the outcome of their quest and thereby their own fate, or at the very least give their own view on it - but Wyll cannot. I can't stand it, as I feel terrible either way and cannot respect Wyll for not having even an opinion on the matter.

I know there is a multi page discussion on how to improve Wyll already, but that mostly delves into how to improve his writing. I'm just wondering what the 'best' way is to handle this situation?

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
veteran
veteran
Thanks for letting me know, saves me from trying that.

I've tried a number but the two I was happiest with:

1. Tell Mizorra no, rescue Duke let Wyll make own decision, allow him to hunt Mizorra. (but I didn't like that he was calling himself the blade of avernus)

2. Tell Mizorra no, all hail the new grand duke. Duke Wyll

Welcomes the refugees into the city and sets up a parliament

A
old hand
old hand
A
That is an interesting variation of the normal problem this situation presents and I don't even know what to do under the normal circumstances.

In Astarion's Origin, where Wyll can basically make you his lawyer, I chose in the best interest of my client and advised Wyll to break the contact, thinking that we'd just try and find his father later on our own - I didn't know if this even worked at that point because it was my first game. Otherwise I think Wyll might be the type to throw his fate away to save his father's life, so this feels like it might be "his" choice. I don't know how this relates to your special circumstances because they kind of changed the situation drastically.

I hate that Wyll can't choose in this situation either, but what bothers me even more is how the companions react *as if* Wyll had made the reaction himself. It's so weird. Edith: Another pet peeve of mine about this dialogue is the player dialogue that praises Wyll for having made a clever power-move in the situation, not only is it stupid, it's so callous. Can we please appreciate power and ambition without being comic book villain vile?

Last edited by Anska; 29/12/23 04:28 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Yeah, I'm rather torn. You're on a mission to save a duke from early Act 1, and the nwhen you do - Mizora handles it... differently. I'm really *trying* to enjoy having Wyll with me - and to be fair, in the party he's alright. Not so angsty as most others and his class is *fun*

Pair a Warlock with a Tempest Cleric and it's the most ridiculous thing you'll ever see. I mean pair, not dual class. But now that I say that... Lightning Charges + Reverbation stacking + Frost Staff + Hunger of Hadar, holy hell. I might be unto something here. Nobody will be ablke to walk anywhere.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Okay, apologies - you can *actually* tell Mizora to go F herself, break the pact *and* save Duke Ravengard.

I hadn't even planned on it, I always assumed you couldn't. It just.. happened that way.

So I went to the underwater complex,

[spoilers]
Mizora intervened as expected, spawned her hell spiders or whatever - they all immediately ran for the Duke to explode - except, the duke was behind my Tempest Cleric with Spirit Guardians and Lightning Charges/Phalar Aluve on. So they just all got nuked and bumped back. One made it through [they can only take damage from it once per round], exploded right on Ravengard's head but Gale automatically had his Arcane Ward projected on him and he didn't take *any* damage.

Walked right out of there with Ravengard in tow, and Wyll's contract broken. Having my cake, and eating it.

[/spoilers]

stranger
stranger
Easiest method I've done is
just throw an Invisibility potion on him when you open the door, but before the cutscene. The kamikaze summons won't even move from that spot and you can just run the Duke straight to the ladder.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Okay, apologies - you can *actually* tell Mizora to go F herself, break the pact *and* save Duke Ravengard.

Originally Posted by Mr. Oakby
Easiest method I've done is
just throw an Invisibility potion on him when you open the door, but before the cutscene. The kamikaze summons won't even move from that spot and you can just run the Duke straight to the ladder.

I want to try this! May I ask what did you do for Karlach's ending? Her's is related to Wyll's and I've heard that
she just dies if you don't make a pact with Mizora
Is that true?

Away with all your superstitions
Servile masses arise, arise
We’ll change henceforth the old tradition
And spurn the dust to win the prize
old hand
old hand
No, that's not true at all. What you do with the pact has no effect on Karlach's endings.

veteran
veteran
Actually they sort of do. Duke Wyll is cut out of a possible Karlach ending.

old hand
old hand
But that's entirely optional - not to mention the fact that you can "save" Karlach from death in an entirely different way, in any run.

Does keeping the pact lock you out of the duke ending for Wyll?

veteran
veteran
That's a good question. Haven't tried that yet smile

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Elder Duke gives Wyll that titkle if he so chooses, but for ONCE: Wyll can choose himself! He chose something else.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Yeah Wyll is a character with a great outline but poor execution.

Link Copied to Clipboard