Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
Or maybe he finally hit his limits because of the ungrateful brats he keeps saving all the time that can't stop whining about him being a mindflayer, because after all him being one is the only reason why everyone is still alive grin

*Am implying the party characters here being brats, not players. Hopefully no offense was taken*

It's important to understand that him being a mindflayer has been used against him from the moment he started existing, to the point his own friend even tried to murder him. He's been forsaken by everyone, cannot create any connections with anyone and is clearly suffering from loneliness as the only person he gets to interact with after all these years is the main character. So naturally in an intimate moment where he thinks he has a connection with us (because one can't get this scene by treating him poorly), he'll get infuriated when after everything we've been through and everything he keeps doing for us, we're still discriminating him for being a mindflayer, especially after he already said he has no reason to lie anymore.

So yeah... if you wanna keep thinking of him as just a manipulative monster that's using you and by doing so dehumanize him, he'll show you the monster you think he is if you insist being a stubborn mule about it. Because not everyone reacts the same way, Karlach for example if you break her heart will threaten to murder you too with a ton of rage. Minthara does not even require you to hurt her feelings, she'll threaten to gut you just for thinking about it.

So you know... you can reject him politely without being mean about it. Therefore I disagree that he should call players out on it being hurtful, because I'm tired of all our companions being agreeable stooges without any rough edges in their personalities, discussing feelings and singing kumbaya around the campfire. Screw that, finally someone who has balls between their legs and isn't afraid to stand up for themselves. Hurt his feelings, treat him like trash and he'll fight back. He does not take tsk'va from anybody! grin
How someone acts in moments like this is when they show their true self; when they reach their limits. The point that you keep missing is that while you empathize with his behaviour, I do not. I find it disturbing and evil.

As for him being judged for being mind flayers, the lack of trust my character has shown him was only towards the end. Because there was nothing trustworthy in his behaviour. The only aspect of the emperor's characterization that is unusual was that he retained his memories. Otherwise he acts like the dedcription of a mind flayer from wikipedia.

As for the 'should have rejected him politely'. Someone telling you they don't trust you is not the mistreatment you try to make it be. My character called him no rude words. It is not some sort of fantasy racism, since this is what you have tried to compare it before. It is the result of the emperor's own actions; my character had no issues trusting Omellum. And I don't think a slaver who threatens to go back to his old ways is someone who has 'balls between their legs'. He is just another creep who cannot handle rejection.

Last edited by saeran; 05/02/24 05:41 AM.