Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
To clarify I understand your point quite clear and I am not "okay in character" with the way he lashes out either. But I do understand where it's coming from because unlike Omeluum the Emperor's character has a ton of emphasis around the racial theme of whether he is just a typical mindflayer or an individual. So it does play a huge factor because how the player perceives him is how he ends up behaving.

That's why as a character he's a mirror of the main character. If you're nice to him, he'll be nice to you. If you're not nice, he'll not be nice either.
Again, there is a rather large difference between someone openly distrusting you, and someone forcing boundaries in order to intimidate you. Your argument about not being nice frankly sounds like trying to bring them to the same level, and that is something I don't agree with.

As for him being a mind flayer, my character was distrustful towards the guardian even when I didn't know they are a mind flayer, while I never had an issue with Omeluum. The writing is lacking both subtlety and skill. The manipulation is obvious, and with the changed tadpole mechanics, absurd to the point of being cartoonish.