Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#935207 10/02/24 12:29 AM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
in your experience/opinion what is the most broken build and by broken i mean just overpowered , id like to hear it friends.

My Name is Regulator and im a Hoarder in the lands of Faerûn.

how much stuff is to much stuff, because its certainly not enough stuff.
Regulator #935214 10/02/24 01:36 AM
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
12 Eldritch Knight Fighter. Throwing is OP af. Lots of early game gear to add bunches of damage modifiers to it, plus Tavern Brawler. EK doesn't get the +2 damage mod and bonus action throws like Berserker, but instead they get 3 throws per standard action + Action Surge (Plus Haste synergy for non-Honour mode) oh, and a handful of spells like Shield, Misty Step and Darkness.

8 Way of the Open Hand Monk/4 Thief. Tavern Brawler is really good. 2 Bonus actions to use spending Ki to do double attacks with Flurry of Blows. Wis modifier as Radiant damage with Manifestation of Soul.

2 Warlock (Any subclass)/10 Sorcerer (Any Dragon/Storm). Double dip CHR mod Eldritch Blast + Twinspell Haste. Less effective on Honour Mode with its Haste nerf but otherwise is pushing out 6d10+60 (Or more) per turn while also still providing Haste to another ally.

5 Warlock (Any subclass)/7 Oathbreaker Paladin. Triple dip CHR to damage, 3 attacks per standard action, Smites and some of Warlock's best spells such as Hex, Hold Person and Hunger of Hadar.

Regulator #936521 20/02/24 01:10 PM
H
journeyman
journeyman
H
All these so-called OP builds are based on these two features/glitches that are not really supposed to happen in this game:

1) Damage modifiers are supposed to apply only to one underlying attack. But in this game, they may act as standalone sources of damage => thereby turning one attack into multiple attacks with every one of such attacks carrying a full set of damage modifiers.

==> This is how certain monks, certain paladins and certain throwers become OP, because each of their attacks act as if it were two or more attacks merged into a single mighty strike.

2) The Extra Attack feat may not stack on top of each other. But in this game, it may get applied where it should not => thereby granting up to 2 free extra attacks for every weapon action.

==> This is how certain warlocks became OP, because they got the equivalent of the Improved Extra Attack feat, which is supposed to be a fighter-exclusive feat.

3) A special case: Haste + Extra Attack should not stack on top of each other. Haste is supposed to enable just one extra attack, be a weapon attack or a spell attack. But in this game, until recently, Haste grants a full action, enabling the (Improved) Extra Attack feat to stack on top of it. Logically, if the Extra Attack feat applies to every extra attack, then whenever we get another extra attack, we should always get yet another extra attack, meaning: a single attack will initiate an unlimited number of another extra attacks. Fortunately, the game stops at up to 3 attacks per action.

All the above boils down to one thing: all these OP builds, especially when they are also under the effect of Haste, make many more (hidden) attacks in combat than they are supposed to.

PS - as you can see, OP => broken: a broken build is not necessarily OP, but an OP build is almost always a broken one. And here, "broken" refers to the fact/practice that these builds (implicitly) take advantage of certain features (glitches) that make this game combat-wise unbalanced (though the players using these builds may or may not be aware of that).

Last edited by Henry NYC; 20/02/24 01:28 PM.
Regulator #936529 20/02/24 02:13 PM
S
S
Someone posted a very entertaining honor mode run with a level one character using stealth, over on reddit, so I'd say anything with hide as bonus action. laugh Stealth is something enemy AI has not been able to deal with since early access, at this point I think Larian is not able to change this.

Last edited by saeran; 20/02/24 02:14 PM.
saeran #936651 21/02/24 08:02 AM
H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Originally Posted by saeran
Someone posted a very entertaining honor mode run with a level one character using stealth, over on reddit, so I'd say anything with hide as bonus action. laugh Stealth is something enemy AI has not been able to deal with since early access, at this point I think Larian is not able to change this.

When the Honor Mode was rolling out with patch #5, BG3 could be completed in this mode in just a couple of hours to unlock the related new achievement. There were a lot of untold stuff behind any one thing that got picked for getting others to talk about.

Regulator #938160 02/03/24 07:59 PM
veteran
veteran
The light domain cleric with radiating orb and reverbaration items is really OP. So is the strength + tavern brawler monk.

Imho that's 2 of the most OP build in the game.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 02/03/24 08:00 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Taril #939636 14/03/24 01:02 PM
N
N
What do you mean with "double Dip CH" by Sorlock?

Naginata #939642 14/03/24 02:40 PM
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Naginata
What do you mean with "double Dip CH" by Sorlock?

Warlock gets Agonizing Blast invocation to add their Charisma modifier to damage on Eldritch Blast.

Also, you can get some robes in Act 2 from saving the Tieflings which has the effect of adding your Charisma modifier to damage on your Cantrips.

This stacks, meaning you can get twice your Charisma modifier to damage on Eldritch Blast, which is extremely powerful as it applies to each beam of Eldritch Blast meaning you can get 3d10+30 (Or more if you get more than 20 CHR) per cast.

Regulator #939648 14/03/24 02:59 PM
N
N
Ah, you meant the robe from Alfira. All right, I know my way around. The robe would work even if I were "just" a warlock

I thought I had overlooked something with the Sorcerer / Warlock combination.

Naginata #939654 14/03/24 03:48 PM
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Naginata
Ah, you meant the robe from Alfira. All right, I know my way around. The robe would work even if I were "just" a warlock

I thought I had overlooked something with the Sorcerer / Warlock combination.

Aye, that aspect is just Warlock. The Sorcerer part of the combination is for the Sorcerer spells and Metamagics (Which means you can Twincast Haste so you can haste yourself for 2 Eldritch Blasts per turn AND haste another party member such as a Fighter for another bunch of attacks)

Link Copied to Clipboard