Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Modder Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Now that i have played game trough multiple times, i started testing multiplayer. Last time i checked it was shit as hell in early access and im surprised its still crap after all this time, as if total newbie would design a multiplayer system who has never developed a game before. While you clearly focused on making multiplayer where you can play with your friends, it would have been very easy to make the multiplayer work even if you play with random peoples. There is so many tiny basic features missing that wouldnt have been difficult to make in the first place but that are absolutely necessary for multiplayer to work with random chickens running around:

1. People want to choose their race, gender and whole character themselves when they join the game midgame, not just looks and class.
2. Make it possible for host to delete old characters and automaticaly move their inventory to camp chest
3. Automaticaly let new joiners know about available items so when they build their character, they select their gear at the same time. Available items also determines which builds and classes you will want to pick when you make your character mid game.
4. Make it impossible to sell important gear that are important for making certain builds for classes. For example that you cannot sell green, blue, purple items at all in multiplayer, you just store them in common chest where anyone can pick them up
5. Give indicator to new joiners about where the party currently is, people are totaly lost trying to find other players when they join and their character is in camp
6. Communication, the ultimate basic feature, simple chat ?
7. Every time new player joins, they want to respec and change their looks... now on long playthrough a lot of players come and go.. everytime they respec it costs 100gold.. there simply isnt enough money for anything else because its all going to the respeccing for newcomers

Have you tried the current state of joining multiplayer game ? 1 try out of 50 works. There is error after error after error after error...

I believe its a bug or then its because people want to continue their playthrough without letting anybody joining but they dont know how to make the game "unpublic" so it keeps showing on the list and they just kick everyone who asks to join.. either way result is that 19/20 games host wont let you join, says "error, you got kicked" even i never joined, only asked to join.

When i made multiplayer match, i renamed my lobby as "All welcome, tactician" and a lot of people joined, party was full all the time even people left from time to time. When i tried to continue it after some break, nobody joined.. maybe it is because when you load multiplayer savegame, your lobby wont be called with the name you chose, instead it will be dafaulted back to default lobby name "*name*'s lobby".. instead of "all welcome, tactician".. If thats the case, maybe let people name their lobby also whenever they load their saved game.

When you have to try 50times before you are able to join anyones match, it means 95% of players try multiplayer but find it impossible and stays away from it. You are killing your own multiplayer and driving players away from it even it could have made the game even better.

All of this feedback is from 1 day of trying multiplayer so i must have gotten some things wrong but thats the experience i got from trying multiplayer and this is the feedback for you.. you are missing an opportunity to make very popular multiplayer mode for your game.

Last edited by Modder; 01/03/24 07:21 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Modder
Now that i have played game trough multiple times, i started testing multiplayer. Last time i checked it was shit as hell in early access and im surprised its still crap after all this time, as if total newbie would design a multiplayer system who has never developed a game before. While you clearly focused on making multiplayer where you can play with your friends, it would have been very easy to make the multiplayer work even if you play with random peoples. There is so many tiny basic features missing that wouldnt have been difficult to make in the first place but that are absolutely necessary for multiplayer to work with random chickens running around:

I appreciate some of these sentiments but I would invite you to consider the tone/language isn't helpful. I share some of your disappointment, but frankly these are some of the best dev's in the world to create the engine this game runs off. They also made two previous games that had multiplayer, including a DM mode.

1. People want to choose their race, gender and whole character themselves when they join the game midgame, not just looks and class.
2. Make it possible for host to delete old characters and automaticaly move their inventory to camp chest

I would say one or the other. Frankly I am fine with being able to "store" multiple player created characters. Outright deletion feels like it would break a lot of stuff. Changing the race/sex may also break things. Either way, don't underestimate how difficult these two items are to actually implement. Probably the easiest would be storage.

3. Automaticaly let new joiners know about available items so when they build their character, they select their gear at the same time. Available items also determines which builds and classes you will want to pick when you make your character mid game.

This would be very difficult to code and implement and would require probably a re-write. Just ask them. This is why I store every unique item on the origin characters in camp.

4. Make it impossible to sell important gear that are important for making certain builds for classes. For example that you cannot sell green, blue, purple items at all in multiplayer, you just store them in common chest where anyone can pick them up

Nah. Again, a mess to code and implement. Probably you should just do your own multiplayer run and organize things with the tools you have. Send items to the Origin characters inventories.

5. Give indicator to new joiners about where the party currently is, people are totaly lost trying to find other players when they join and their character is in camp

If they are your steam friends it tells you where they are outside of the game. Otherwise just click on somebodies portrait, look at the map, or just ask them.

6. Communication, the ultimate basic feature, simple chat ?

yeah, not sure why this isn't implemented.

7. Every time new player joins, they want to respec and change their looks... now on long playthrough a lot of players come and go.. everytime they respec it costs 100gold.. there simply isnt enough money for anything else because its all going to the respeccing for newcomers

Um, you can just steal back anything you give you Withers without consequence even if you are caught, Withers doesn't care.
Also if you understand how money works in the game you shouldn't ever have problems with money.

Persuasion skill determines your pricing when it comes to Vendors + the vendors attitude towards you. You can increase vendor attitude with gold/item donations. A level 1 paladin with Persuasion (+2) and 16 (+3) Charisma and full (Green) Attitude with a vendor will get a 50% discount/increase in item sell price.

There are lots of other tricks and ways to make money WITHOUT using exploits but that should do for now.
Have you tried the current state of joining multiplayer game ? 1 try out of 50 works. There is error after error after error after error...

I believe its a bug or then its because people want to continue their playthrough without letting anybody joining but they dont know how to make the game "unpublic" so it keeps showing on the list and they just kick everyone who asks to join.. either way result is that 19/20 games host wont let you join, says "error, you got kicked" even i never joined, only asked to join.

When i made multiplayer match, i renamed my lobby as "All welcome, tactician" and a lot of people joined, party was full all the time even people left from time to time. When i tried to continue it after some break, nobody joined.. maybe it is because when you load multiplayer savegame, your lobby wont be called with the name you chose, instead it will be dafaulted back to default lobby name "*name*'s lobby".. instead of "all welcome, tactician".. If thats the case, maybe let people name their lobby also whenever they load their saved game.

This is a terrible way to play multiplayer. Honestly you should join a guild, or go to the Larian Discorbs and go to the BG3-LFG channel- you really want to be in a voice channel and talk to people in a game like this. Yes you shouldn't just join random games with people.

I agree that Larian should do more to direct people to their discord or set up a better way to handle Multiplayer from the standard game UI. Right now, this is all we have.

Blackheifer
M
Modder Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
This is a terrible way to play multiplayer. Honestly you should join a guild, or go to the Larian Discorbs and go to the BG3-LFG channel- you really want to be in a voice channel and talk to people in a game like this. Yes you shouldn't just join random games with people.

I agree that Larian should do more to direct people to their discord or set up a better way to handle Multiplayer from the standard game UI. Right now, this is all we have.

My whole point was that indeed it is terrible way to play multiplayer this way... and the point being why does it have to be so ? Compared to what they have done and coded to this game and any other game.. the things i asked are very tiny features and easily done if you just think how to achieve them in easiest possible way, no need to go over complicated. Ofc they would have been 10 times easier if they were part of the plan in the start but obviously they didnt even try to make the multiplayer for random people to work nicely. But my point is that its not farm from it, all it needs is small features, not huge changes and voila you get massively loved multiplayer that functions even if all the players are 12 year old kids who dont know eachothers nor speak same language.

My tone/language isnt helpful because im sigma, i cannot understand the need for lying in order to feel comforting. Criticism must be constructive but it doesnt need to be said in comforting tone that doesnt make you feel so bad for your failure because it can be compared to lying and self betrayal.

Last edited by Modder; 02/03/24 05:42 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard