Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
Let me first start out by saying that I love this game. It would be entirely unfair to say that this game is anything less than a triumph. The level of skill that goes into a collaborative process such as the making of a video game with a rich story, compelling characters, complex morality, beautiful animation, and an immersive environment is something that should not be hand-waved away. I’ve enjoyed hundreds of hours playing this game. Having said all of that, here’s (yet another) post of “we need to talk about the ending.”

If you’re unfamiliar with the recent-ish IGN interview with game director Swen Vincke and lead writers Adam Smith and Chrystal Ding, you can find it here. I’ll be focusing on their section of the interview concerning The Emperor and the end game choices.

LOTS AND LOTS OF SPOILERS AHEAD.

Let’s talk about the critical decision of siding with Orpheus or The Emperor.

I know a lot of people have pointed out that The Emperor joining the Netherbrain in the end if you side with Orpheus makes no sense, and I think it both does and doesn’t. He has always wanted freedom, and it’s almost certain that the moment he leaves the astral prism without Orpheus’ protection, he’ll be enthralled whether he’s willing or not. The explanation given in the article by Swen and Adam, as well as The Emperor in game, as “survival” feels like a 180 when his ultimate goal has been freedom. Why they chose not to focus on the fact that it’s game over for him as far as his autonomy under this circumstance is puzzling. Which brings me to my next point.

One of my biggest problems with the ending is how contrived the choices are. Along with The Emperor’s 180 mentioned above, Swen and Adam (Chrystal doesn’t say much) seem to have rigidly held on to this plot contrivance of choosing to become a monster, and in doing so, forces a binary ending whether it works within the narrative and gameplay or not.

Swen - “One of the basic questions of the game was whether you would become a monster if it would save the world. So that’s where you get that in that moment. And then the interesting bit was, well, if you’re not going to do it, are you going to ask someone else to do it, or [are] you just going to say, ‘F*ck everybody?’ That’s essentially what that moment was.”

Adam - “There was no way to save the city, save the world without giving up your own identity.”

The thing about a binary choice is that it only works if there truly are no other options available, however, the player has a lot more power and leverage in this situation than the game is willing to let them have. The Emperor wants his freedom and will be enthralled voluntarily or otherwise if he leaves the astral prism and cedes power to Orpheus. It’s also worth mentioning that when you help him defeat the Honour Guard, there’s an option to ask him about assimilating Orpheus, to which he answers that it may not work. So, assimilating is a big risk, and should it fail, he’s back to being a thrall.

Then there’s Orpheus. He cannot leave the astral prism without the players freeing him with the Orphic Hammer and cannot take on the Netherbrain unless he or someone else turns into an illithid. The player has leverage against The Emperor to persuade and/or intimidate him to join with Orpheus, and they also have leverage against Orpheus for the same thing. The whole speech Orpheus gives about how the player should have let his Honour Guard kill them and they would have taken on the Elder Brain before it evolved and became a Netherbrain is either a lie or delusion. You don’t even need to metagame to know this, yet the player has zero dialogue available to call Orpheus on this claim. He and his Honour Guard have been imprisoned in the astral prism for millennia with no means of escape, and no way of impacting the outside world. They weren’t going to stop anything, and yet, through the dialogue choices, the game treats this as though it were a given and that The Emperor held all the cards and kept this from you. He didn’t. He truly is the reason you’re alive to face the Netherbrain. Given the gravity of being on the cusp of The Grand Design, calling Orpheus on the impotence of him and his Honour Guard, and also potentially being under threat of having his brain consumed if he does not cooperate, there is plenty to leverage against Orpheus to get him to at least temporarily ally with the player and The Emperor. If you’ve struck a deal with Voss, you have even more leverage.

Beyond the other options that I believe should be available, I don’t think becoming a monster or “f*ck everybody” comes through in the ending at all. It seems like they expect players to side with Orpheus when there are plenty of role play reasons to side with The Emperor, and then no one has to become a monster, and you still save the city. The Githyanki aren’t even doomed under this ending just like they’re not doomed if Orpheus transforms and dies in the end so he doesn’t live as a mind flayer. If anything, the theme of freedom, autonomy, and alliances, I thought, came through more strongly, both with defeating the Netherbrain and with the companion quests. Under this theme, an option to persuade/intimidate Orpheus and The Emperor to work together actually makes more sense because they have to put aside their hatred for one another to accomplish the same goal of defeating the Netherbrain and obtaining their freedom. The intention seems to have been for the player to make a significant personal sacrifice to save the world, but I just don’t think that it was executed particularly well.

I think this is a good time to say that authorial intent should never be the end of one’s analysis of a text. If an author/director/writer/artist/creator tells you what their intention was, it doesn’t mean the text supports that. We don’t always execute something we create the way we intended to.

And that brings me to the next thing I want to discuss.

Let’s talk about The Emperor as a character.

I want to start out by saying that The Emperor is my favorite character. I enjoy a compelling and nuanced monster that subverts our expectations, and I think The Emperor provides a lot of that while also not living up to his full potential. I’ve already written a post on this forum regarding why I think we need to have a fully fleshed-out romance for The Emperor that you can read here. I’ll be focusing on his writing for this. I wrote at length about what I enjoy about the character in another thread on this forum, that you can find here, but I’ll include a quote:

“What’s unique about The Emperor is how he subverts our expectations. Yes, he’s manipulative, but he never mind controls you. He’s this supposedly asexual creature, yet he’s sexually interested in the player character and is heavily coded as a romantic male lead. He’s also supposed to be this heartless and soulless creature, but expresses care for the player character, and if you romance him, he’s sweet, vulnerable, and sincere. He’s supposed to be part of this hive mind, yet he wants his freedom and actively encourages the player character to form alliances to defeat the Netherbrain. He needs to feed off the brains of others, but avoids the innocent. He may want the player character to change into an illithid, but he leaves that choice entirely to you. He’s alien, yet very human and desires allies and companionship.”

I was under the impression from this interview that Swen largely sees The Emperor as a plot device, while the writers saw him as a character, even if he has a specific purpose in the narrative. There’s even a very awkward part of the interview in which Adam refers to The Emperor as “he,” quickly corrects himself to refer to him as “they,” only for Swen to insist that The Emperor is an “it,” even saying that “we often had this fight” when referring to his pronouns. I personally think that’s a bit revealing, though you may disagree.

For additional context, Swen, Adam, and Chrystal all agree that The Emperor is manipulative and self-serving, but that he never lies to you. Swen will later reiterate this very point when talking about Raphael:

Swen - “Raphael… a lot of what he says you can’t trust, but he is honest. And at one point, if you push him on it, he says, ‘All you are to The Emperor is a pack animal that’s carrying him to where he needs to be.’”

There’s another awkward exchange in which Adam speaks to The Emperor being terrified of going back to the Elder Brain. Swen then remarks:

Swen - “he’s not really terrified he doesn’t have that level of emotion.”

Adam - “Well, yeah, but I think that there’s a level of horror in being… Going back to what he escaped from.”

Now with all of that context laid out, I think his manipulative nature is pretty uncontroversial in the game’s text. He is self-serving - he doesn’t really hide that from you - he speaks in partial truths, and you are a means to an end. At least at first. And, this is where I think he becomes a more complex character whether Swen realizes it or not.

As a side note on how he manipulates the player: there’s this strange bit of dialogue with The Emperor in which you can call him on the fact that he’s hidden information from you throughout your entire alliance, and he responds by acknowledging that, saying that he purposefully lead you to believe that the githyanki Honour Guard were evil beings. I don’t recall this at all. He tells you that they would have killed you because to them you are already illithid, which is all true. It’s a strange bit of dialogue in the end that doesn’t follow what’s been established in the game.

That aside, I’ve heard many people hand-wave away all of his behavior as insincere and solely for the purpose of manipulating the player, however, I think that’s, at best, a shallow reading of the text. He may be manipulating the player character, but that’s hardly the only thing going on, where a character like Raphael is truly only manipulating the player character. In the interview, Swen, Chrystal, and Adam all say that he doesn’t lie, however, I think a more precise way of saying that based on what we see in the game, is that he doesn’t fabricate lies. He doesn’t make up a lie out of whole cloth, but rather omits information that he doesn’t think is relevant, or that doesn’t serve his purpose. Perhaps the most infamous example of this is his relationship with Belynne. As long as you remain on good terms with The Emperor, he frames their relationship as two allies working towards a common goal in The Knights of The Shield. However, if you become hostile, provoke, and dehumanize him, he reveals that Belynne was his unwilling thrall.

I’m hardly the first to point out that this cutscene is a bit suspicious. The timing of such a reveal and The Emperor framing it as “why hide” or “will this make you feel better” is an obvious threat to someone who seems likely to betray you the moment they can. The cutscene also has The Emperor casually revealing his identity to someone other than Belynne, much to this unnamed person’s horror. That is already out of line with how he conducts himself. After her death, we can have this interesting conversation with The Emperor in which he further discusses his relationship with her. With hindsight, it’s obvious that when he says their relationship “was not love” it was “deeper,” and that it was “unique,” he is referring to when she was his thrall. But, he also reveals in some dialogue options that she understood his needs, his desire for freedom, and that she didn’t trust a mind flayer at first, suggesting that she wasn’t initially his thrall. He even describes himself as being “haunted” by memories of her. We don’t know exactly what memories are haunting him, but we do know that the dialogue option with the thrall cutscene, he says to the pc “aren’t you glad I finessed my methods?” Even when he calls you his puppet, at no point in the game will he enthrall you or your party members.

It’s worth mentioning that it is well within DnD lore that mind flayers grow attached to their thralls and mourn their passing, but we later find documents in the game, one from a physician, that when The Emperor came to visit Belynne as her condition progressed, that it eased her “body and mind.” We also find a document suggesting that he was impersonating her through magic as one eye witness account described a floating blue figure, but that it turned out to just be Belynne smiling. I bring all this up because what I believe we’re seeing here is an incomplete portrait of their relationship. I think it suggests that they were once genuine allies before he enthralled her, and that he’s mourning more than just her passing, but also the deterioration of their relationship. I think this also helps to explain why he never enthralls the pc, even if it would mean preventing them from taking some very dangerous paths that jeopardize their mission. The Emperor is an unreliable narrator who speaks in partial truths, so I don’t believe that either version of their relationship you get from him is the whole truth, but is not entirely false either. This game very often takes a more-than-meets-the-eye approach to characters and storylines, so this is well within what we have come to expect from this game. She may have been a means to an end on some level, but she was hardly only a means to an end.

As far as that strange comment from Swen that The Emperor “does not have that level of emotion,” we actually feel his fear regarding the Elder Brain as it’s breaking free from the crown’s control. If the pc romances him, we literally feel that he cares for the pc, and in some interactions of this scene he’ll tell the pc that he enjoys their mind, and refers to their relationship as a bond of love. Before the final battle, one of the NPCs invokes Balduran’s name right before battle, and if you’ve allied with The Emperor, you feel his amusement that they have no idea who he once was. There’s even that scene with the Guardian at the beginning of Act 2 in which a successful insight check reveals that he is hiding the depth of his pain. I know there’s that note that The Emperor left for Ansur about no longer feeling his feelings, but he clearly does feel. He even describes the grief he feels over Belynne as “not entirely unwelcome.” The Emperor is an arrogant and prideful character, and he doesn’t seem to be entirely self aware as to his own humanity because he sees himself, as a mind flayer, to be superior.

For most endings, The Emperor will just depart after defeating the Netherbrain, much like the other companions who also go their separate ways. So, I don’t think this is necessarily an indication that the pc was merely a means to an end. However, and these are two big SPOILERS, there are two endings in which he does reveal his feelings for the pc. In a solo ending in which the pc doesn’t transform, he’ll tell them “you have become... important to me. And should our paths cross again, I will be glad to see you.” There’s also an ending where, if the pc transforms into an illithid, he will ask to stay together to rebuild the Knights of the Shield. There’s an option to tell him to think bigger, at which point he’ll say to them “Have I ever told you how much I enjoy you? Lead the way…”

I also want to note that right before the above mentioned exchange with The Emperor, the Narrator has a line that in being a mind flayer, all your companions becoming tools or food, but then contrasts that with:

“Perhaps you are unique among illithid-kind. Perhaps you will retain enough of who you are to resist your nature. A rogue mind flayer. Like The Emperor.”

This is a pretty straightforward acknowledgement that The Emperor does have the capacity for relationships beyond mere tools for his use.

All this is to say that there seems to be some genuine relationship building with The Emperor, which makes it, in some ways, more strange that he’s so quick to abandon the player and join the Netherbrain should you choose to free Orpheus. Many players have noted that trust is one way with The Emperor, and if that’s the angle Swen and the writers were going with him, then why have The Emperor demonstrate trust in the pc’s leadership? Yes, there are moments in the game in which he admonishes the pc, disagrees with them, attempts to persuade them away from a decision, hell even probes their mind if they lie to him about the meeting with Raphael, but he’s actually very reasonable when it comes to the pc’s autonomy and decision making. If you save the Grove, he’ll even compliment you on your leadership. He’s so hands off in so many ways, but when he does interject about certain quests like the Crèche, Ansur, or The House of Hope, those are extraordinarily dangerous quests that risk everything. They risk you, him, and anyone left behind to be subjected to the Grand Design, but he never stops you. He actually does demonstrate a lot of trust in the pc even if they’re not the most reliable at times.

I said earlier that I think the intended ending was to have the player join with Orpheus, then the pc, or one of the companions turns into an illithid. This requires a sacrifice and sets up this dramatic encounter with The Emperor in which he rides in on a red dragon and summons your dream guardians to fight you. This could have been a powerful moment, however, I think it largely falls flat when you have this forced binary decision with a character, who may be unlikable, but is actually pretty reasonable throughout. If you’ve romanced The Emperor, or are at least on friendly terms, this binary ignores the prior relationship development of the pc being more than a means to an end by not at least allowing for some kind of exchange and option for striking an alliance.

But, let’s just say you have romanced The Emperor, but the twist is that you are merely a means to an end. Well, that’s not clearly laid out either. There’s no moment to confront him, and the only acknowledgment of an intimate relationship comes when he castigates the pc and reminds them that they didn’t “reject” him, but “enjoyed” him. (If anything, that implies you used him). He just leaves and that's that. Along with everything I laid out earlier, it’s not so much a twist, as it’s incomplete writing. This isn’t even the only example of incomplete writing. Remember how your companions were able to witness your night with The Emperor but no one said anything the next morning? The so-called fix was to have The Emperor wipe their memories without any regard for the implications. The pc doesn’t have a dialogue option regarding such an action, and the only vague textual clue that this is something he does is that he may have done some memory manipulation with Belynne’s doctor. However, the doctor can still recall a lot of details of The Emperor’s visits, she just has trouble recalling his appearance. He either doesn’t or can’t completely erase her memory of his visits, even though she finds him suspicious and erasing her memory entirely might be safer for him to do. Other than that, it’s just the one line he speaks that was thrown into the game a couple of patches in. Even then the companions still don’t react to the “enjoyed me” line, or the “fornicated with a mind flayer” line if you side with Orpheus. We love hearing our companions react, so why not have that in there? It would certainly be more entertaining at the very least.

Whether these inconsistencies come down to creative differences between Swen and the two lead writers is speculation. No one was in the writing room with any of them, but this interview was, nonetheless, enlightening in some respects. I do hope that at some point The Emperor can be a fully realized character, and one that’s in line with the depth he is given in the game. And I would hope that would go along with additional ending choices that better reflect the narrative that comes before that crucial decision. A binary choice like the one we currently have doesn’t work for many playthroughs, even if it may work for some. I would like to see that someday reflected in our final choices.

Lastly, while I’ve laid out a fair amount of criticism in this post, my intention was not to cynically nitpick every inconsistency. I even deleted some things I originally planned on including here, because I realized that not all plot contrivances actually weaken the story. I want to repeat that I still love this game, and when I say it’s a triumph, I do sincerely mean that. I know all too often fans may request changes to the game or characters as a sort of wish fulfillment, but those changes would ultimately end up undermining the narrative or themes. I’ve tried my best to avoid that here, and I hope I have.

stranger
stranger
Incredibly well written, and I completely agree. There is little room for binaries with a character as nuanced as The Emperor.

Imagine yourself with the same strength. The same intelligence. The same devastating beauty.
veteran
veteran
I've said many times both on and off the forums that Larian seems to be very good at character writing and at least in this game, very much fails at main plot writing. The Emperor is interesting in that he's where character and main plot intersect. You've made a very interesting, well-written argument here. Maybe it's because of my general frustrations with the game (unlike you I have found it to be the most disappointing gameplay experience I've ever had. Not the worst, just the most disappointing) or my general feelings with him as a character but I just cannot bring myself to view the emperor with any degree of grace or accept his words as anything more than manipulation, even though I do factually see the validity of the various points you make here. Maybe it's just that by the time he's properly introduced and we start to see more of him I was already emotionally checked out of the game so his nuances fell flat.

That having been said, I feel like the Emperor is one of those situations where the character's nuance is kind of an accident, a result of inconsistencies working in Larian's favor (at least to the opinion of some like you).The various inconsistencies and issues indicate to me that there was just a general disunity in the writer's room and they were just trying to get him to work for his function, which is primarily a mechanical story function. I think you see that in the Balduran reveal because it's very meaningless in the context of the game. Balduran isn't a meaningful figure in the game's story. It's not like he was brought up repeatedly as a person to be admired or anything like that. He's just a guy who founded an important city. He was presumably a famous adventurer but aside from founding the city, how many of his deeds to we actually hear about throughout the game? Making the emperor Balduran doesn't make any themes stronger, it's just a name that's meant to be a big reveal but is probably not going to mean anything significant to the majority of the players. To me that indicates that they felt the Emperor wasn't working and were trying to scrounge up something to improve him and made that very blatant, lackluster attempt.

S
S
emperor put in a very wrong place, since the chess game maker aims to know "the value of mortals" via tav.
the chess game maker won't maneuver your trump card -- the prism, via a playing tricks creature to the final.

emperor is a master of manipulation. he will reveals his true color, if tav doesn't follow his words. emperor does want tav to be his puppet, just he can not do because tav shares the protection of the prism.

if the screenwriter insists the plot of emperor, this will be still ok.

but, players should be able to control the prism in early stage...at least in act 2 somepoint. this means that tav should gain the chance to counterattact emperor in mid game. the screenwriter leaves emperor to the last and forces tav to do the wrong major decision, this makes the act 3 much discount the score of the game 90/100 => 75/100

even, i think the screenwriter sets players a trap intentionally.

besides, i think the original dream lover, the tadpole -- daicy will be a much better setting.

veteran
veteran
Disregarding Stevelin's unfounded "celestial chess game" theory, they do bring up an interesting point relating to something in the OPs post, specifically about how the Emperor may scold us, but he never tries to dominate us when we do something like go to the creche. Can he actually do that? Is that something he's capable of given the effects of the prism itself? It's stopping us from being dominated by the Absolute, so really we should be free from being dominated by a lesser illithid. Though I suppose we do see from act 1 in the crashed nautiloid that we can at least be controlled. But really I think we shouldn't be, just from a logical standpoint. But then the prism seems very inconsistent in howits protection works anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't seem as though Moonrise Tower is the place where the tadpole mindcontrol is actually "activated" as best I can tell, it seems like as soon as you're tadpoled, you're under the absolute's control, so there's no clear reason why most of the party, save Lae'zel and maybe Shadowheart, would be entirely free from the tadpole's control when we meet them. But I may be misremembering, I haven't played the game in a long while at this point.

S
S
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Disregarding Stevelin's unfounded "celestial chess game" theory, they do bring up an interesting point relating to something in the OPs post, specifically about how the Emperor may scold us, but he never tries to dominate us when we do something like go to the creche. Can he actually do that? Is that something he's capable of given the effects of the prism itself? It's stopping us from being dominated by the Absolute, so really we should be free from being dominated by a lesser illithid. Though I suppose we do see from act 1 in the crashed nautiloid that we can at least be controlled. But really I think we shouldn't be, just from a logical standpoint. But then the prism seems very inconsistent in howits protection works anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't seem as though Moonrise Tower is the place where the tadpole mindcontrol is actually "activated" as best I can tell, it seems like as soon as you're tadpoled, you're under the absolute's control, so there's no clear reason why most of the party, save Lae'zel and maybe Shadowheart, would be entirely free from the tadpole's control when we meet them. But I may be misremembering, I haven't played the game in a long while at this point.

hey, man.
i have the foundation. this is according to withers' talking at the first meeting.
since withers can banish god gale in no time and who can order withers? the answer is quite clear.

cough, by the way, i do think prince should be able to connect us with someway via his willpower in early stage, but he doesn't?

Last edited by stevelin7; 04/03/24 10:38 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I think the inconsistencies in the main plot are not due to the emperor's characterization, but due to his role. My guess is that he was supposed to be the final antagonist, the mind flayer depicted on the stone mural, and this was how the original final battle was supposed to be like. Raphael's warning, that the emperor was only using the party to get to the elder brain, and the companions could betray you (which was hinted at in EA) was true in this context. But since Larian rewrote the emperor to take the place of the dream person, the main plot ended up nonsensical in places. Now this scene only takes place when you side with the Orpheus, and the emperor's "I know your dreams and weaknesses" speech doesn't even make sense anymore, because the dream person is no longer tailored to the characters, just the same guardian for everyone.

Disregarding Stevelin's unfounded "celestial chess game" theory, they do bring up an interesting point relating to something in the OPs post, specifically about how the Emperor may scold us, but he never tries to dominate us when we do something like go to the creche. Can he actually do that?
Well, if he could, then he would have done so in the ending when the player sides with the Orpheus. Since at this point he has nothing to lose. But in the EA, the original dream person was not able to control the protagonist either.

Imo the emperor's powers are another inconsistency cause by the rewrite; in his memories Stelmane was seen fighting his mind control, yet he subdues Orpheus, who is capable of withstanding an elder brain, with ease. I think this is because originally the emperor was planned to be powerful enough to control both the illithid army and the elder brain himself, perhaps with the netherese relics. So now the writing flip-flops between just another renegade illithid, and possible ruler of illithid empire.

L
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
That having been said, I feel like the Emperor is one of those situations where the character's nuance is kind of an accident, a result of inconsistencies working in Larian's favor (at least to the opinion of some like you).The various inconsistencies and issues indicate to me that there was just a general disunity in the writer's room and they were just trying to get him to work for his function, which is primarily a mechanical story function. I think you see that in the Balduran reveal because it's very meaningless in the context of the game. Balduran isn't a meaningful figure in the game's story. It's not like he was brought up repeatedly as a person to be admired or anything like that. He's just a guy who founded an important city. He was presumably a famous adventurer but aside from founding the city, how many of his deeds to we actually hear about throughout the game? Making the emperor Balduran doesn't make any themes stronger, it's just a name that's meant to be a big reveal but is probably not going to mean anything significant to the majority of the players. To me that indicates that they felt the Emperor wasn't working and were trying to scrounge up something to improve him and made that very blatant, lackluster attempt.

Thank you for your feedback. I read an interview with The Emperor’s voice actor, Scott Joseph, that I’ll link here if anyone wants to check it out. It came out after I had written my original post, but in the interview he talks about finding The Emperor’s voice - both his actual voice and his movements. He discusses portraying emotion and vulnerability in his role, so I don’t think his nuance is an accident, but I do think there was disunity in the writer’s room. The romance scene is actually a great example of this. It’s this very sweet romantic scene that clearly had a lot of thought and care put into it. However, it’s probably most infamous for the companions walking in looking completely disgusted in this moment that feels like tonal whiplash. I guess it’s funny for the players who “did it for the achievement,” but for players who enjoy this character and wanted to explore a monster romance outside of the typical hot vampire option, it feels very out of place. I almost feel like you can tell exactly when Swen bulldozes his way into the process and undermines the careful work of his creative team.

I also think you make a lot of good points with the Balduran reveal. Establishing his lore beforehand would have gone a long way in setting up the reveal to feel more significant to the story as a whole.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I've said many times both on and off the forums that Larian seems to be very good at character writing and at least in this game, very much fails at main plot writing. The Emperor is interesting in that he's where character and main plot intersect. You've made a very interesting, well-written argument here. Maybe it's because of my general frustrations with the game (unlike you I have found it to be the most disappointing gameplay experience I've ever had. Not the worst, just the most disappointing) or my general feelings with him as a character but I just cannot bring myself to view the emperor with any degree of grace or accept his words as anything more than manipulation, even though I do factually see the validity of the various points you make here. Maybe it's just that by the time he's properly introduced and we start to see more of him I was already emotionally checked out of the game so his nuances fell flat.

I suspect that making the Dream Guardian into Balduran wasn't the original direction. There is that basement in the third act where you find the katana there are journals that suggest a different direction for that character was at least toyed with at some point, if I remember correctly. I would guess the Emperor was a composite of two characters turned into one.

CDPR was compelled to release CP2077 'as was' out of fears it wouldn't be profitable and they needed to cut their losses and make whatever they could off it, in defense of those interests the development process had already been lengthened by 2 years and new generations of gfx chipsets were on the horizon even as a new set was just being released so there was a legitimate fear it could have hit the market looking dated if they had waited for a stable product. I suspect this game was in a similar position, especially after 3 years in EA which focused entirely upon the first act. Ultimately I found the writing of both games lackluster and I don't think this game in particular would have been much improved even if they'd been given another five years to finish cooking. Part of the magic of the original Baldur's Gate sequel lie in the enthusiasm of the development team, I can't remember which but one of them had decided to read all of the Forgotten Realm novels to get a feel for the setting and the sort of story that they should be telling. As a result you had a lot of inspired design choices: from romances to faction alignment to having bases of operation that reflected your class and lore accurate cameos and references, much of what they did was completely new and all of it worked as a game and for the fans because it was what they themselves wanted to see in the game as fans having a genuine appreciation for the source material. By contrast I am not even sure anyone at Larian even played the original titles. Anyway, that is all a long way of saying I agree the entire narrative is a mess the Emperor is just part of it.

Don't get me wrong, Larian did some things very well. Obviously they took heavy inspiration from the artwork of DnD. The encounters are varied and richly textured, enemies employ varied skills, abilities, and attacks so encounters never begin to feel like a grind, the environments work and have great contrast so you can't confuse any two areas. Visually speaking this is an incredibly rich game and some effort was made toward making combat as dynamic as possible which is unfortunately undermined by the fact that 5th Edition DnD is simplistic and rather uninteresting. I don't say any of this because I want to take the piss out of Larian, obviously they felt compelling gameplay trumped compelling narrative which makes a certain sense since this is a video game and general literacy hasn't been as low as it is now in the US since 1870 (1 in 5 adults considered to have a low level of literacy).

Last edited by DistantStranger; 10/03/24 06:29 AM.
P
stranger
stranger
P
Originally Posted by LittleMonday
I think it suggests that they were once genuine allies before he enthralled her, and that he’s mourning more than just her passing, but also the deterioration of their relationship.
When I listen to him talk, I get the impression that he is satisfied with the post-stroke situation (especially considering Descent into Avernus).
"Manipulation or not, we need each other. My relationship with Belynne was similar in this regard. Though - less dramatic."
And being a bit hard to him triggers a threat:
"Player: I really don't care what your relationship with her was like.
Emperor: And yet you emulate it so well"

As far as that strange comment from Swen that The Emperor “does not have that level of emotion,” we actually feel his fear regarding the Elder Brain
Mind flayers can simulate emotions in the brain of other beings, the dying one on the beach compels us to love him and makes us perfectly happy for the first time in our life while he is killing us.

If the pc romances him, we literally feel that he cares for the pc, and in some interactions of this scene he’ll tell the pc that he enjoys their mind, and refers to their relationship as a bond of love.
Two options here: he tells how rational we are and don't need to be coddled (astral tadpole used) or how much he enjoys our mind. But it's the same tactic when we comfort him in the dream about Stelmane; if the player is not half-illithid, then he adds the sentence: "You have shown me great empathy. We are closer now, close enough - I hope - that I can ask you to reconsider your position regarding your physical form."
If he is humanized, then he shows feelings. It's a breach he can exploit.
"Player: You really don't sound like a mind flayer.
Emperor: I have learned to adapt my methods to your needs."

There’s an option to tell him to think bigger, at which point he’ll say to them “Have I ever told you how much I enjoy you? Lead the way…
True but in his letter you can see he is the one in charge and even tells: "Make merry with your former allies, for we may yet have need of them. Keep them close, and wait for my word."
(That was exactly what I was worried about before the epilogue patch. There was no way he would have really let someone else make decisions and follow another plan.)

“Perhaps you are unique among illithid-kind. Perhaps you will retain enough of who you are to resist your nature. A rogue mind flayer. Like The Emperor.”

This is a pretty straightforward acknowledgement that The Emperor does have the capacity for relationships beyond mere tools for his use.
Not convinced from what the game shows. He said in one of the first dream: "[…] gather many allies to aid your strength. Use them how you will", the essay about moral in his hideout ; the fact he doesn't express interest for Omeluum, preferring to commune with an other criminal mind flayer in one ending, and it seems he even makes more thralls: "I have established 'contacts' in Calimshan - they answer wholly to me."
In an other letter we get: "Make what memories you must tonight to ease your passage into the future. In time, those you cherish so dearly will become just that - fond memories, and nothing more. And when that time comes, call on me."
I don't see him interested in remaining/becoming a lover while our feelings decay, just as he doesn't retain us when we speak about hiding in the Underdark. He doesn't want to babysit us or build a friendly relationship. I could have missed something, but I'm pretty sure all his intentions revolve around business (and world domination).

If you save the Grove, he’ll even compliment you on your leadership.
He supports our action, whatever it may be.
"For what it's worth, you made the right choice. If we don't accomplish our goals, none of this matters. Not their fate, not anyone's"
"It's a good thing you decided to infiltrate the cultists rather than fight them. The Absolute has already mustered an impressive army, and its forces still grow"

But, let’s just say you have romanced The Emperor, but the twist is that you are merely a means to an end. Well, that’s not clearly laid out either.
He refuses to leave with the humanoid he bonded with.
When companions randomly express their joy for having saved the city, he says: "It makes little difference to me. I did what I had to to secure my freedom."

Romance aside, we should be able to create a connection with him by being more Illithid, but it's not even the case. All the little nice sentences are reserved only for the group leader who didn't commune with the astral tadpole.

It's just my theory but I believe after tried everything to convince us he finally came half-naked because his outfit was intimidating and he needed us not to be afraid of what he wanted us to become.
Or just as an emotional grip. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he refers to it three times: during the interaction with the portrayal of Stelmane (giving a compliment by extension), for returning to the House with the Hammer, and to acquire the stones if we are reluctant to trust him.

His romance could be incomplete; but for me, everything is coherent by far, there's just no romance at all.

S
S
If there are no nuances to the Emperor or any mind flayer for that matter, like Swen implies in the interview, then forcing upon players/companions the choice of becoming one/giving up any identity (at the very end of an RPG!) is just a really cruel plot: one way or another you're going to become a monster.

And it's because of the contrived binary nature of that ending, it comes across as a mere joke / a place holder ending for a seemingly unfinished game: clearly they can't be serious about it (but according to the interview, sadly they are.)

Even though I didn't like the Emperor at all and maybe therefore I missed to notice any nuances, I think making him that rouge mind flayer with a fleshed out personality/identity and actual choices at the end would be a huge improvement as it would allow us to interact with someone (instead of another some*thing* being forced upon us, because surely the tadpole isn't enough already).

The fact that people are not able to decide if the nuances to the Emperor are intentional or accidental might itself be a fully intentional choice by Swen and the writers. While in theory this makes a great "solution" to a "story problem", on the emotional level this ambiguity doesn't work whatsoever.

Last edited by Staunton; 10/03/24 11:17 AM.

- You are one of us now. - Yes, I suppose I am.
L
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
an interesting point relating to something in the OPs post, specifically about how the Emperor may scold us, but he never tries to dominate us when we do something like go to the creche. Can he actually do that? Is that something he's capable of given the effects of the prism itself? It's stopping us from being dominated by the Absolute, so really we should be free from being dominated by a lesser illithid. Though I suppose we do see from act 1 in the crashed nautiloid that we can at least be controlled. But really I think we shouldn't be, just from a logical standpoint. But then the prism seems very inconsistent in howits protection works anyway.

Canonically, yes he can interfere. In act 3
if you try to enter the Upper City The Emperor will panic and tell you to turn back as you're getting too close to the brain too soon and risk being dominated. You'll start to get the mind broken condition and hear the brain's commands. If you keep going, The Emperor will tell you again to turn back. If you keep going still, he'll warn you that he'll "act on your behalf." And if you still keep going after that, once you reach the gate the screen fades to white and you and your companions are back near the waypoint. I don't know if you're teleported or forced to walk back since the game is unclear on that.
I do agree that there are inconsistencies with the prism, but I tend to lean towards that being a plot contrivance that doesn't negatively impact the narrative, (or at least doesn't impact it enough for me personally), though I can see why others may disagree.

There is little room for binaries with a character as nuanced as The Emperor.

Thank you, and I fully agree.

If there are no nuances to the Emperor or any mind flayer for that matter, like Swen implies in the interview, then forcing upon players/companions the choice of becoming one/giving up any identity (at the very end of an RPG!) is just a really cruel plot: one way or another you're going to become a monster.

And it's because of the contrived binary nature of that ending, it comes across as a mere joke / a place holder ending for a seemingly unfinished game: clearly they can't be serious about it (but according to the interview, sadly they are.)

Even though I didn't like the Emperor at all and maybe therefore I missed to notice any nuances, I think making him that rouge mind flayer with a fleshed out personality/identity and actual choices at the end would be a huge improvement as it would allow us to interact with someone (instead of another some*thing* being forced upon us, because surely the tadpole isn't enough already).

The fact that people are not able to decide if the nuances to the Emperor are intentional or accidental might itself be a fully intentional choice by Swen and the writers. While in theory this makes a great "solution" to a "story problem", on the emotional level this ambiguity doesn't work whatsoever.

I do think there was a lot of intentionality to making The Emperor's nuances up for interpretation. I can understand where some players see those nuances as manipulation, and others like me think there's more to those nuances besides just manipulation. I don't think there's a binary with The Emperor that he's either manipulating the pc and they're merely a means to an end, or he's looking out for the pc and cares for them on a deeper level besides utility. I think there's both going on there, and they're not as contradictory as they may seem. I also agree that that ambiguity is frustrating. There seems to be this intentionality that The Emperor is what you make of him, but even that is muddy because there does seem to be an actual character under his manipulations. Companions like Astarion and Shadowheart can have very different outcomes depending on player choices, but their characters are fleshed out in a way that provides better emotional and narrative satisfaction, while The Emperor's suffers from what I believe is incomplete writing. Fleshing out more of his story would go a very long way in resolving these issues.

addict
addict
So much discussion about the games ending including some of the villains but no mention at all of any of the Absolute’s “Chosen”.

KT was a well fleshed out villain but Orin and especially Gortash were incredibly disappointing. Curious the main writers and director never mention them at all in this interview.

Last edited by Ranxerox; 10/03/24 11:39 PM.
veteran
veteran
I mean, Larian were up front right from the beginning that the Chosen weren't the main villains. I don't remember the exact phrasing they used, but it did convey the idea that as far as the story is concerned, they're secondary villains, obstacles to the main villain. However this results in the game not actually having a main villian it focuses on.

apprentice
apprentice
I thought Emperor was one of the worst written characters in the entire game, and I'm never not baffled by people feeling otherwise.

Sure, he talks a lot, but his personality is lacking, and he's very bland (as he should be, I suppose, being illithid and all), but he's such a charisma-vacuum as a result.

But as a result, I never felt the urge to trust him, I never got attached to him, and his ~betrayal~ left me utterly indifferent, aside from "what an illogical thing to do for someone who is supposedly smart?" thought that crossed my mind.

If he was truly a well written and clever villain, he'd side with heroes against Absolute, to backstab them in the end. Because him going "we need to fight Absolute" the entire game, and then suddenly going "Oh well, I will side with Absolute now, willingly giving up my freedom of choice that I oh-so-love" - that just felt silly and forced.

His main crime was that he was boring through and through, though.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Emperor? Nuanced?

If "nuance" means "going back and forth on threatening to make you obey him by force or patronizing you at every step because he was shoehorned into the plot very late and had no time to be properly developed", then I just don't know what makes a character "good" anymore, I guess.

There were hopes during EA here and there, but every if not all major characters in the game are either one-dimensional or you are pushed by the narrative to interpret them in a specific "correct" way. Like Ketheric Thorm, who isn't even given a chance to properly play out. As for the companions, their arcs are as transparent as they get, like with the "evil" ones:

- Lae'zel: starts as a fanatical adherent to Vlaakith, very strongly pushed towards turning away from her and softening up;
- Shadowheart: was actually a Selunite all along, only kidnapped and brainwashed, complete with a lot of Mary Sue moments throughout;
- Minthara: never was sadistic and violent, it was all Orin's influence! The game presents her as a perfect companion for an evil PC in Act 1 if you destroy the grove only to show the fattest middle finger and take that away entirely.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by mayxd
His main crime was that he was boring through and through, though.

This sums up the Emperor perfectly.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by Brainer
Shadowheart: was actually a Selunite all along, only kidnapped and brainwashed, complete with a lot of Mary Sue moments throughout
Shadowheart may have a few mary sue moments but at least she isn't a mary sue the whole time. *cough* Karlach *cough*

Lots of people liked the Emperor. He was a mystery much of the time. Even after revealing he's a mindflayer, no one can agree on whether he was sincere about the things he said or not. There's quite a few loud Emperor romancers over on reddit. Not every character is going to be liked by everyone. Lots of people like Karlach but there's also a lot of people that don't. Same with Astarion. Pretty much any character is going to be loved but also have people that can't stand them.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Metarra
Originally Posted by Brainer
Shadowheart: was actually a Selunite all along, only kidnapped and brainwashed, complete with a lot of Mary Sue moments throughout
Shadowheart may have a few mary sue moments but at least she isn't a mary sue the whole time. *cough* Karlach *cough*

This is a pet peeve of mine and the fact it's regarding a character I really like just makes it more salient; Karlach is in no way a Mary Sue, a Mary Sue is a specific trope with identifiable traits and meanings. The narrative does not bed around Karlach, she's not treated as super special or flawless or always right, nor does the story become illogical at any point in order to portray Karlach as right or likeable. Shadowheart is closer to being a Mary Sue than Karlach, but she's also not a Mary Sue. She's presented as special and important for somewhat unclear reasons, but she's also presented as wrong in her beliefs, people do take issue with her and can call her out, the story doesn't twist to make her seem right, etc. Mary Sue doesn't mean bland, though a Mary Sue is likely to be bland.

veteran
veteran
While my heart is with @mayxd and everyone agreeing with them I do want to support @LittleMonday's request.

I've had some . . . contentious . . . interactions with fans of The Emperor but littlemonday has displayed none of the aggression that I've come to expect from fans of 'empy'. So even if I am similarly

BUT

I think any fleshing out of the story / including a romance path MUST come with a fully developed distrust path.

@mayxd

and I'm never not baffled by people feeling otherwise.

Having had these conversation with a number of empy fans it comes down this: 97.23% of emperor enjoyers identify with him in some way. So the parts of conversation that we read as manipulation, they read a synodoche of their lived experience. They too have been judged by their appearance on on the basis of stereotypes of some types.

One of the conversations that never fails to anger me is the first Stelmane conversation.

1st because I would never sit by side with a ghaik

2nd because the emperor gaslights us

He's admiring his torture and subjugation of a helpless prisoner. Our only "distrust-path" line is "your presence disgusts me". To which empy replies "I know skin mucus is unsettling". Which is gaslighting. Tav is upset by his evil actions and but the master manipulator was able to reframe it as xenophobia. And Tav can't reply.

For an empy enjoyer this doesn't feel like gaslighting, it feels like an opportunity for their character to demonstate that they have an open mind. "My Tav can look past the tentacles and see the real Emperor".

Forum member @Jewel (also a fan of the emperor) has come up with a suggestion for two distinct paths - Trust and Distrust. And I would like to see it implemented.

@LittleMonday

In the IGN article the devs made it clear that Raphael is right about the emperor and if you review some of the things Raphael says it would lead you to question this statement:

What’s unique about The Emperor is how he subverts our expectations. Yes, he’s manipulative, but he never mind controls you.

On the first meeting Raphael says "charmed, I'm sure. In more ways that one . . .

In the second meeting Raphael wonders if you are entirely sure your decisions are your own. Could it be that the dream visitor is influencing your choices?

I mean why did we go from shutting the tadpole out and killing it if we are fast enough to storing them in jars? I mean that's a weird choice for someone for someone trying avoid becoming a mind flayer to make.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard