Print Thread
#937593 27/02/24 10:51 AM
N
Nyelin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
I've waited a bit to ask the question, but I've noticed that since patch 6, the number of critical misses is quite a bit higher than the critical hits. It doesn't matter, btw., if karmic dice is enabled or not. The setting seems to have no influence. I still get the latter, but the number of critical misses is far higher - at least 2 to 1, probably even higher. I 've playing RPGs long enough to be aware of the confirmation bias, so I tried to make sure that it just isn't my impression, but an actual fact. As an example, during a string of about 15 or so skill checks yesterday I got three 1s (and two in a row), but no twenties. Now the obvious answer is of course that RNG is RNG - this just happens. And I'd agree, if I hadn't seen something like this happen frequently since patch 6 hit.
I'm curious if anyone else have noticed this since patch6. I know the quirks of RNG, so I am very hesitant to say that this is a bug, but it is a noticeable derivation.

apprentice
apprentice
I think there is something very strange going on with the dice sometimes. This is sort of unrelated, but in one instance I was savescumming the persuasion check with Lae'zel in the Zaith'isk, I naturally failed the check multiple times, but the weird bit is my 3-4 inspiration rerolls were the same result every single time. I eventually passed the check - it's not impossible, but highly improbable I was rolling the same number every single reroll.

I always play with karmic dice off.

addict
addict
I think this skew occurred already before patch 6. I can only imagine that die has actually 30 faces. 3 faces with a 1 on it, 2 faces for every number lower than 10, and one face for every other number.

Last edited by ldo58; 27/02/24 03:04 PM.
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
There are some definitely funky rolls now.
One Lae'zel did six straight misses in one combat.
My character did some unexplainable misses, and in my fight with Ketheric, he did two critical misses in a row.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I’ve notice a lot more misses but it seems enemies are also missing as well

Also I can’t change The add my dice(pc) to to the add mechanic. Instead it just combines all my modifiers and gives me the total on the dice. I miss the actual roll and then it adds all modifiers

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
I am very quickly learning to hate these Gith Monks, who so easily avoid my every sword stroke!!!!!

old hand
old hand
So real talk, there are ways to improve your rolls in combat. Like taking the Great Weapon master fighting style or the Savage Attacker feat. Plus increasing the primary attack stat improves rolls. So. I haven’t noticed the dice rolls being particularly weird. But there are things you can do if it bothers you. Halflings also start with the Lucky feat, which helps with rolls. Some things to consider. But I don’t think that the dice are loaded or unfair.

Last edited by Ecc2ca; 29/02/24 06:53 AM.
old hand
old hand
Great Weapon Fighting class passive: When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack with a two-handed melee weapon, that die is rerolled once.

Savage Attacker feat: When making melee weapon attacks, you roll your damage dice twice and use the highest result.

Lucky feat: You gain 3 Luck Points, which you can use to manipulate either your rolls, or an enemy's rolls.

In addition, the “bless” spell also improves attack rolls slightly.

N
Nyelin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
I wasn't really complaining about the misses as such. I've played since Early access, and since then combat rolls are sometimes really weird. Especially Shadowheart seems to have a penchant for missing. But I had a fight yesterday where in one sequence with 6 attacks and an 80 % hit chance I missed all of them, and had three critical misses in a row. The character had the lucky feat, actually, but was out of luck - I usually blow them on conversation rolls. The point here is the abundance of critical misses, either in fights or in skill checks, and the dearth of critical successes. During that fight, I had five or six critical misses including that three-in-a-row streak and no critical hits. And this is more or less the experience I've had especially since patch 6 was released. The RNG feels really off.
I'm an old fart and I've been playing RPGs since the original Bard's Tale (yes, that's 1985), and this is the first time I ever complained about the RNG. I mean, you always complain that the dice are loaded against you. That's just part of the game. But this feels different.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
"you always complain that the dice are loaded against you. That's just part of the game. But this feels different."

Yeah, I developed this theory that programmers were all teenage twerps on an ego trip to harass everybody in the gaming world.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
However, there is something definitely about these rolls now.
I've never seen so many critical misses.
And it looks like the enemy are the only ones who roll critical hits, and they do two in a row on a regular basis.

N
Nyelin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
For me, since the last hotfix rolled in, the situation has normalized. I mean, the dice are of course still loaded against me, but the ratio of critical misses to hits seems to be about normal now, and I started having critical successes at skill rolls again, something I sorely missed.
Since this really changed for me right after the hotfix was installed, I assumed Larian changed or fixed something. There is of course always the possibility that I have been extremely unlucky.

old hand
old hand
I actually don't see a difference from pre- to after Patch 6. I seems to be very random. I had quite a few 20 in dialogues lately (when I did not need them, of course) and only one 1 since Patch 6, as far as I can remember. Pre-Patch 6 in one important dialogue I had two 1 in a row, that was "funny" (Honour mode, sadly).

addict
addict
Questions about the randomness and bias of die rolls have been raised since EA, but hard data remain very scarce. Wouldn't it be nice to have a die roll logger?

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by Ikke
Questions about the randomness and bias of die rolls have been raised since EA, but hard data remain very scarce. Wouldn't it be nice to have a die roll logger?
I would love to see something like that.
These rolls are so crazy I'm staying away from the game.
I watched one battle where my character had -at least six-misses/critical misses in a row and the opponent did two critical hits in a row and killed me.
I have a 14 Dex, so I really don't understand al that missing.

addict
addict
I have a very hard time believing that Larian has implemented something "fancier" than the very simple srand() / rand() for rolls.

Like:

unsigned diceroll(unsigned n, unsigned times) {
unsigned i, res = 0;
for (i = 0; i < times; ++i) {
res += 1 + n * ((unsigned) (rand() / (double)RAND_MAX));
}
return res;
}

This is extremely trivial.

Also, why Patch 6 ? I've seen such complaints since I got this game, i.e. since Patch 1.

Originally Posted by LeeRutland
I watched one battle where my character had -at least six-misses/critical misses in a row and the opponent did two critical hits in a row and killed me.

Dex only has influence on attack rolls if you (a) have a ranged weapon or (b) have a finesse weapon.

Last edited by Halycon Styxland; 12/03/24 10:23 PM.
A
old hand
old hand
A

You can click on that fancy little combat log window on the right. When you click on the name of an attack you can see the math and know exactly what went wrong .

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by Anska

You can click on that fancy little combat log window on the right. When you click on the name of an attack you can see the math and know exactly what went wrong .
Yeah, about that combat log.
I've seen it, but as far as I can tell, it goes away after combat is over, so I don't know how to access it.

A
old hand
old hand
A
It fades when it is inactive. You can click on it and it will reappear. That little notepad icon to the right, just in case.

Last edited by Anska; 12/03/24 11:32 PM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard