Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 60 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 59 60
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by jinetemoranco
Originally Posted by Bethra
So its almost a certainty that Stephen Rooney knew the bride stuff even if he just made passing nods at it.

It's Welch who is a Strahd fan and the person we know wrote that scene (or most of that scene) as well, just clarifying since they usually get the short end of the stick from fans and I think credit should be due where credit should be due. From what I could gather, Rooney seems to not be super familiar with DND vampire lore or, rather, chooses not to stick close to it, I remember back in EA there were some incongruencies people were debating. He seems to be sticking more with what we could consider "archetypical vampire lore". I don't think this is a bad thing, mind you, I think DND vampires are kind of goofy in their lore. I do wonder if he assigned Astarion's age as well, since in one of Welch's scenes they correctly make Astarion make an elf joke about him not looking over a hundred but then his gravestone has him be 39.

(Before anyone thinks this is me being shady about Rooney, not at all: he has written my favorite content in the game, I think he's a marvellous writer! I don't think this is a "flaw" and in fact I think BG3 should "do it's own thing" as often as possible, I'm not fond of the Fantasy Kitchen Sink that is the Forgotten Realms from the manuals lol, I'm just noting some differences I've noticed in the writing styles)

You seem to know a lot about the authors. Do you know, which AA scene was written by whom? Were there different people writing on it, or just one? Like, who wrote the pre-sex dialogue, who wrote the post-romance scene, who wrote the old epilogue, who wrote the new epilogue? One author, or different authors? And is the author still working on the Route, or is there a new writer?

"I would, thank God, watch the universe perish without shedding a tear."
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Originally Posted by DarkAngelBeckons
Well, to be fair, not a single one of us was in those rooms when Astarion was being collaborated on. So, Larian stated and accredited Rooney as the main creative writer. That is honestly all we know at this point. That is why we say team when we discuss this topic.

Rooney was in that room, though! Source (he also brought them up on an interview) : https://twitter.com/nuckpang/status/1690281467761299457

Welch has also claimed to have written that scene, and I'm inclined to believe there's no conspiracy that they're lying, considering Rooney corroborates this. Plus them liking Strahd lines up really well with the nods to that 2.5e manual :P
In the spirit of crediting, Welch is also credited as supervising/designing the romances for all companions, and more specifically, the Dark Urge origin and, I quote, "many of Astarion’s romance and subsidiary scenes" specifically.

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Originally Posted by Zayir
You seem to know a lot about the authors. Do you know, which AA scene was written by whom? Were there different people writing on it, or just one? Like, who wrote the pre-sex dialogue, who wrote the post-romance scene, who wrote the old epilogue, who wrote the new epilogue? One author, or different authors? And is the author still working on the Route, or is there a new writer?

I have inklings. Generally, I'd say any scene that's not from his romance is written by Rooney, and that the romance scenes after act 1 are written or mostly written by Welch. Welch also wrote all or most of Astarion's interactions with Dark Urge (so, the line about sitting naked on his lap, or the line where he asks if Bhaal spanked Durge as a child, etc). I'm pretty sure the standard romance lines (Aeterna Amantes, until the world falls down etc) are Welch's as well, for example. I'm pretty sure they wrote Astarion's reaction to Tav being used by Haarlep. I'd also say it's most likely that they collaborated on a lot of stuff, and I'm sure Rooney did passes on the scenes written by Welch. I know Welch did some work in the pre-ritual scene where you can tell him that you could've been one of his victims.

Now, this is just me talking out of my ass, but I /think/ from the writing style that /maybe/ the AA Elfsong Tavern scene and the Epilogue Romance are written by Rooney, but I legitimately can't tell in this instance, it's just vibes, so I might be wrong about this one.

Fun thing I've noticed, if Astarion says "eh?" in a scene, that's one of Welch's writing quirks. Like that one line where you break up with him before the ritual and he says "Midnight chimes, eh?"

I don't know if the writers have changed but I'm inclined to say that no, they haven't been changed. I've only seen complaints about the new "You're my favorite line" and that was datamined months ago and likely older than that, and the rest of the script has legitimately had very few changes. Like I've explained before, it's very likely the kisses/Tav's face didn't have much to do with the writers.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zayir

I have inklings. Generally, I'd say any scene that's not from his romance is written by Rooney, and that the romance scenes after act 1 are written or mostly written by Welch. Welch also wrote all or most of Astarion's interactions with Dark Urge (so, the line about sitting naked on his lap, or the line where he asks if Bhaal spanked Durge as a child, etc). I'm pretty sure the standard romance lines (Aeterna Amantes, until the world falls down etc) are Welch's as well, for example. I'd also say it's most likely that they collaborated on a lot of stuff, and I'm sure Rooney did passes on the scenes written by Welch. I know Welch did some work in the pre-ritual scene where you can tell him that you could've been one of his victims.

Now, this is just me talking out of my ass, but I /think/ from the writing style that /maybe/ the AA Elfsong Tavern scene and the Epilogue Romance are written by Rooney, but I legitimately can't tell in this instance, it's just vibes, so I might be wrong about this one.

Fun thing I've noticed, if Astarion says "eh?" in a scene, that's one of Welch's writing quirks. Like that one line where you break up with him before the ritual and he says "Midnight chimes, eh?"

I don't know if the writers have changed but I'm inclined to say that no, they haven't been changed. I've only seen complaints about the new "You're my favorite line" and that was datamined months ago and likely older than that, and the rest of the script has legitimately had very few changes. Like I've explained before, it's very likely the kisses/Tav's face didn't have much to do with the writers.

Thank you for your insight smile It's very interesting. If someone is a native english speaker, it might be easier to see it in the writing style.
Yes, could be. Noone knows the exactly reason for the SA/DA in these scenes, but it's inconsistent and takes the agency away, so hopefully it will be fixed then, so that players can actually play this route again.

"I would, thank God, watch the universe perish without shedding a tear."
enthusiast
enthusiast

I did encounter a similiar line right before the big fight in Act 3 (in patch 5), I think Astarion said something like "What can I do for my favorite spawn?", which was totally out of character seeing as he preferred "consort", making me really remember it. It seemed like an old line that hadn't been removed. It might be the one that was datamined? The whole sequence before the brain fight did show some state of neglect in terms of wrapping things up so it wouldn't surprise me.

Even the same moment of conversion leaves open the interpritition about the "Spawn" or "bride". About whether the drop of blood is for "sun protection and control you" or "for conversion". Or about the AA control issue of "could, but I'm not gonna do it yet" or "can't".
The questions and nuances on An unholy ritual and even with The Bride's Ritual, can be explained by the scroll that players find in Veliot's skull (to avoid writing new scenes and dialog, the answer is-you found the scroll, it says it all).

I hope Larian doesn't change this or rewrite what exists in the game now.

1. It's undeniably good that new content is being added and the game is being fleshed out. It keeps you coming back to it again and doing a new playthrough. But new content should be introduced carefully and not at the expense of the story and people's feelings. So I think patch 6 for those who choose the AA route was introduced in a sloppy way. And I hope that if Larian doesn't fix it, it will at least be taken into account in the future.

2. I hope that the opinions of all players, including the few who take a particular route, will be taken into account, not just the opinions of the majority.
After all, imposing your opinion and vision of history on another player, when choosing a route you don't follow, is tactless at the very least.
It's like if I said I always choose the AA route, so I want those who choose Spawn to have him permanently sunburned at the end of the game, because that's how I see his redemption. No.

I don't want to inflate this topic, to go deep into interpretation of any scenes or routes, so, perhaps, in the future I will try to refrain from comments, but I will be glad to read others). As all are adults with their own opinions.

(This is not a reply to anyone in particular, just thoughts in general, thank you.)

addict
addict
Originally Posted by kiwibliss
Everyone keeps talking about Astarion's personality as magistrate while conveniently forgetting that he mentions several times that he's almost completely forgotten the person that he was, beyond some vague details. He doesn't remember his eye color or really any details beyond the fact that he was a magistrate.

I don't trust him when he says doesn't remember anything. When he says these lines it looks like he's hiding something inconvenient. All things point to him pretending to be nicer than he is in reality so Tav would help him. Somehow he remembers a delicious meal being served at a tavern when he was still mortal. If he remembers such a miniscule, unimportant detail, how can he not remember serious, every day stuff? I just don't buy it. Trauma often makes you forget the unpleasant things done to you, not what happened before the event.

Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
This ritual is part of a diabolic deal. On that Astarian hasn't read! He doesn't even know what the words on his back mean much less the words on the backs of the other spawn.

Something tells me there is still a devil in those details . . .

But even evil lovers have a reason to prevent him from completing the ritual: they want Astarian to conquer his fear by means of a loving relationship between equal partners.

The terms of the ritual are written in Cazador's scroll as well as in the Necromancy of Thay.

Yeah, they are so equal that he needs to depend on Tav for protection and he literally OWNS NOTHING. He doesn't have a home anymore, his siblings are gone to the UD, he doesn't have money and personal belongings. He only has Tav.

Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
On Cazador 2.0. You get one of the longest discussions with Cazador if you go to the ritual without Astarian. Note the similarities between Cazador and AA. "He is mine", the parallels between Astarian not wanting to wander far and Astarian's threat to spawn Tav: don't wander too far. Of course note how Cazador repeatedly emphasizes that fear is Astarian's cardinal trait.

The video you linked shows perfectly fine how Spawn Astarion does in fact need a master, because he doesn't know how to live without one. Cazador knows him better than anyone else and he drops several insightful hints about him. The ritual gives Astarion the means to finally be his own master, otherwise Tav fills in the shoes of Cazador, just being nice to him instead.

Originally Posted by LiryFire
"You're mine".
I think Gale can say that phrase too, just because it's uttered by Astarion's mouth doesn't make it a parallel to Cazador.
It's a standard phrase for possessive romance. Whether it's Astarion or anyone else.

This. I also said he was mine to Araj.

Originally Posted by Marielle
This seems like violence on the part of the script. You don't want to play a dramatic-traumatic novel with redemptions, "circles of abuse" and all that, but you want an RPG with variants of different interpretations that leave possibilities for a happy ending - here's patch 6 for you. The developer is entitled to whatever vision they want, but they are not entitled to traumatize real people in order to shove that vision as the only possible vision for roleplay. Just because someone doesn't see "red flags" as such, sees them as green, or has their own interpretation, having a story in their headcanon where Astarion might have heard something different instead of "I want your body" and Tav isn't degrading himself, but just taking care of the person he loves, accepting him for who he is and helping him open up and behave completely freely - that doesn't mean the developer needs to shove sadistic content into the game in a rage in order to suppress opposition.

Well said!

Originally Posted by Anska
Killing the spawn post ritual denies them the chance to be anything but monsters, in the context of consent you decide what's best for them and exert dominion over them. Anne Rice said vampire children cannot be happy, so these vampire children can never be happy, they are not allowed to decide on their own. Since the game puts a lot of emphasis on free will (or consent) this cannot be a good thing. You think Astarion can be more than a monster and has a right to "live", so by extension all these spawn do to.

The game shows the spawn didn't live the same way as Astarion did, they are called feral and they're essentially prisoners going insane in their cells. They have had no food at all, while Astarion at least had rats and Petras had cats. They therefore cannot be treated the same way. It's like freeing people from a mental asylum and hoping they behave well.

For Astarion they also are his way to redemption, learning to care for them is dealing with his past.

Why do people insist he needs redemption? He was completely controlled by Cazador, even Ulma admits he cannot be judged by the sins of his master. He says himself the only time he can make a choice is when we're doing his quest. He owes the caged spawn nothing.

In this light, A!Astarion isn't a monster because of anything in the pact, but because he does something monstrous. He condemns 7K people to hellish slavery and confirms what he says about Cazador in act 1, that what Cazador was not wrong on principle but because he did it to Astarion. Act 3 S!Astarion would disagree.

Lol, that line is actually said by the act 3 Spawn Astarion.

Originally Posted by Bethra
The bride theory fits in one other way.
Because no game developer is going to want to have the player character controlled by an NPC for more than a brief time. They would have a much more difficult story to write and no player agency.

You've brought up a very good point!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Mirmi
I hope that the opinions of all players, including the few who take a particular route, will be taken into account, not just the opinions of the majority.
After all, imposing your opinion and vision of history on another player, when choosing a route you don't follow, is tactless at the very least.
It's like if I said I always choose the AA route, so I want those who choose Spawn to have him permanently sunburned at the end of the game, because that's how I see his redemption. No.

Yes! This is how a democracy should work, assuming Larian wants to do it fairly. The smaller groups should have more say when they are closest to the matter. The ones playing the AA route should have their opinions weigh heavier than others when it comes to AA romance changes.
And yeah, let's have Spawn Astarion get lobster red and swollen for the epilogue because as a AA fan I feel it would be a fit punishment for not letting Astarion Ascend... you (as in you out there reading this) would hate to see it no? wink

A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted by Ametris

I had to look it up but it's true it's one of these Pre-Ritual things when he reverts back to his act 1 reasoning before the ritual.

"People" point out redemption, because he shows signs of wanting it himself. He feels guilty for what happened to the spawn and calls it his fault, he had no choice while under Cazador's command but after being given free will he has. While meeting the prisoners he feels guilty for what happened to them and calls them his shame that he does not wish the world to know, he says it would have been easier if they had been ghosts. Calling them feral and claiming they cannot be saved serves to dehumanise them and is Astarion's easy way out to do the ritual and not feel guilty about it. He is an unreliable narrator though and when you free the spawn it turns out mostly alright.

Disregarding that he does have a moral conflict in the situation shallows it considerably - but that of course makes it much easier to go through with the ritual.

Last edited by Anska; 16/03/24 03:13 PM.
Online Confused
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Bride based on what? Does that actually come up in the game? Are you saying that Larian are bad enough writers that they just expect players to know based on a scene that they are referencing a specific and esoteric lore fragment?

Not an esoteric lore fragment. He directly calls Tav his spouse. And if Tav tries to call themselves a spawn, he doesn't like it and corrects them.

It wouldn't be a case of bad writing. It would be a case of good RPG writing. How most RPGs do. Keep things ambiguous, drop easter eggs, and allow players to build their own stories.

Last edited by Natasy; 16/03/24 03:15 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Natasy
Bride based on what? Does that actually come up in the game? Are you saying that Larian are bad enough writers that they just expect players to know based on a scene that they are referencing a specific and esoteric lore fragment?

Not an esoteric lore fragment. He directly calls Tav his spouse. And if Tav tries to call themselves a spawn, he doesn't like it and corrects them.

It wouldn't be a case of bad writing. It would be a case of good RPG writing. How most RPGs do. Keep things ambiguous, drop easter eggs, and allow players to build their own stories.

I'd say this is more a case of thinking of a number and then seeing it everywhere. Which is to say finding the desired outcome because it's the only outcome being searched for.

Feels less like an easter egg and more like mental gymnastics to avoid seeing what's happening.

Really, there's something about excusing away the abuse and thrall nature of the relationship that leaves me feeling a little queasy. I guess different people find different things triggering.

apprentice
apprentice
I like the vampire bride thing, and there's nothing in the game that contradicts it yet. Astarion even lets Tav go to Avernus without trying to compel them to come back. He gives an excuse for it, but it really makes you wonder if he actually can't compel Tav. The transformation more closely matches with the vampire bride lore too, imo. So there's no way to dismiss it until the day they patch the game to add a contradiction or Larian comes out and says no.

Last edited by BananaBread; 16/03/24 03:37 PM.
addict
addict
"People" point out redemption, because he shows signs of wanting it himself. He feels guilty for what happened to the spawn and calls it his fault, he had no choice while under Cazador's command but after being given free will he has. While meeting the prisoners he feels guilty for what happened to them and calls them his shame that he does not wish the world to know, he says it would have been easier if they had been ghosts. Calling them feral and claiming they cannot be saved serves to dehumanise them and is Astarion's easy way out to do the ritual and not feel guilty about it. He is an unreliable narrator though and when you free the spawn it turns out mostly alright.

Disregarding that he does have a moral conflict in the situation shallows it considerably - but that of course makes it much easier to go through with the ritual.

Him feeling crappy about it shows he's not a complete monster and that he has empathy, but the matter of fact still stands that their fate is not his fault and that he owes them nothing. Everything that happened leading up to the ritual is not something that requires his redemption. It would only fit if the cut (or simply not mentioned) past of him being a slaver was real.

The notion that everything is supposedly fine and all 7000 spawn are perfectly capable of controlling their hunger is utterly naive and outright idiotic. There is a real life example in history what happens to people who were caged, starved and finally had the chance to eat food - they jump at it in frenzy. Even Astarion, when finally being able to have a proper meal, kills Tav, unless he's stopped. Petras drools at the idea of sinking his teeth into a human. There is only an episodic mention of impaling unruly spawn. What is in the game is unrealistic and wishful thinking and railroading the narrative into some fairytale story that's supposed to pull at your heartstrings and give you a fuzzy feeling that you're a good little hero, while omitting and handwaving all problematic matters.

The narrative manipulates the player showing only Sebastian and children, and not other people who were not particularly nice. The narrator herself is biased:

Originally Posted by Nyloth
At the moment of the ritual, the emphasis is on how evil the ritual is, however, the narrator does not mention that releasing thousands of spawns puts thousands of people at risk. Living people. The narrator speaks negatively only about the ritual. Instead, they could show a neutral opinion, for example: "If you perform the ritual, then thousands of souls you have ruined will go to hell. But if you release them, thousands of people may suffer from their actions." The second is never mentioned, although later in the game it is shown that spawns do cause damage to living creatures.

apprentice
apprentice

I had to look it up but it's true it's one of these Pre-Ritual things when he reverts back to his act 1 reasoning before the ritual.

And how else should he react after the protagonist forces Astarion against his will to refuse the ritual and subverts his will supposedly "for the good" to achieve obedience? 7k wild spawns and one broken Astarion with no way to defend himself, was he supposed to go alone against everyone shouting "you monsters I will destroy you"?
It's not just that the protagonist tells the spawn after forcing him to give up the ritual that
- "I will protect you now, with ME you don't need the power of the Ascended Vampire!".
To which the spawn Astarion rather despairingly and with obvious disdain says
- "it would be nice not to have to rely on you as my great protector... But.... Well."
And here we understand perfectly well who the spawn's new master and lord is, but Astarion has no more choice. However, even if you are in the novel, but just prevent the ritual by killing Cazador, what happens? That's right, we'll hear everything Astarion really thinks and he attacks Tav. If he could feel sympathy, or even if he could feel, because spawns are devoid of normal feelings, for spawns, or if he wanted to change, then even after interrupting the ritual like that, he could be stopped. But that was impossible. Only by subjugating his will is Astarion willing to bow to other people's desires again, abandoning his own.

Last edited by Shyshyn4ik; 16/03/24 04:18 PM.
Online Confused
Originally Posted by JandK

I'd say this is more a case of thinking of a number and then seeing it everywhere. Which is to say finding the desired outcome because it's the only outcome being searched for.

Feels less like an easter egg and more like mental gymnastics to avoid seeing what's happening.

Really, there's something about excusing away the abuse and thrall nature of the relationship that leaves me feeling a little queasy. I guess different people find different things triggering.

AA players don't see him as a abusive. They're not excusing something they don't RP in the first place. Pre patch 6, there was nothing to point to that he was.

He isn't real. AA can't hurt anyone.

Telling players they're "excusing abuse" is insensitive to others who have their own triggers. It's a game, my guy.

Edit to say:
Noticing a thing you read being featured in a game isn't mental gymnastics. It's just called thinking.
The devs wrote him to call Tav his spouse. What happened to honoring what the writers wrote?

Last edited by Natasy; 16/03/24 04:17 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
The narrative manipulates the player showing only Sebastian and children, and not other people who were not particularly nice. The narrator herself is biased:

On August 11 with hotfix 3 a huge chunk of the Narrator's words were removed, when after refusing the ritual the camera went up we saw the whole circle and Astarion sobbing and the Narrator saying
"- you chose your fate to forever remain a pathetic spawn forced to hide in the shadows until the end of time, you gave up the only opportunity to become someone to change yourself, but was it worth it?".
And yes, that dialog was so contradictory to the spawn branch that it was brushed over very quickly, but I went through the entire game on August 10 and I remember those dialogs perfectly. If I had known the game was going to be changed AFTER release I would have videotaped everything.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Shyshyn4ik
On August 11 with hotfix 3 a huge chunk of the Narrator's words were removed, when after refusing the ritual the camera went up we saw the whole circle and Astarion sobbing and the Narrator saying
"- you chose your fate to forever remain a pathetic spawn forced to hide in the shadows until the end of time, you gave up the only opportunity to become someone to change yourself, but was it worth it?".
And yes, that dialog was so contradictory to the spawn branch that it was brushed over very quickly, but I went through the entire game on August 10 and I remember those dialogs perfectly. If I had known the game was going to be changed AFTER release I would have videotaped everything.

That's what I started to do when I saw it happen in patch 4. Reverted back to patch 3 and recorded things for posterity.

The manipulation is obvious - the writer(s) intention is to force feed us the naive story of redeemed Astarion and demonise AA.

The remainder of the line you quoted is still in the game when you look at the journal entry when you don't do the ritual. "His fate is sealed". That sounds pretty negative. I guess they'll change it to "Astarion fought against his very nature and decided to show his humanity to the world. Nothing's stopping him from becoming a hero now." hahaha

apprentice
apprentice
"Astarion fought against his very nature and decided to show his humanity to the world. Nothing's stopping him from becoming a hero now." hahaha

Why bother with trifles, AA immediately after the Ritual hits Tav in the face, so that Tav falls to the floor and blood pours from a broken nose and lips, and instead of Absolute, we have a fight with the main boss of AA, who cannot be defeated. We lose and in the next scene Tav licks AA's boots. Cool. Stylish. It will greatly emphasize the "morality" and the "bad" choice of the player.

veteran
veteran

Firstly, calling Tav his spouse doesn't hint at some amazing ritual, it's just Astarion being flowery and dramatic in his language, like he almost always is normally is. Secondly, unless you know this obscure bit of lore then you're going to just assume you're a spawn, because that's the only thing you CAN assume. Thirdly, it would absolutely be a case of bad writing, in fact it would be a case of the kind of bad writing Larian has done several times before. The player NEEDS to know this kind of thing in order to roleplay properly and understand what choices they're making. Some things should be ambiguous, absolutely. But some things need to be clear. Because the difference in the relationship and outcome if Tav is a Spawn or this Bride thing is VASTLY different and changes the entire nature of the ending. By being a spawn Tav is submitting entirely to Astarion's whims, and has to simply hope that he never changes his feelinigs towards them and that they in turn never decide they want something different. If Tav is a spawn then it means serious things for them, such as what happens if they ever disagree with him on something, because a healthy couple has disagreements, even about major things. If Tav is a bride, then they're truly equals and Astarion will actually have someone to potentially push back against him, and Tav is a person in full and absolute agency over themselves. Those two options mean vastly different things for the end of the game.

And to the folks saying that the Ascended ending is morally uncomplicated, that just shows what poor writing Larian created in the firist place, that they tried to present a moral quandry and utterly failed. That reading of the game also makes Astarion a flat character. He never grows, his beliefs never have to be challenged or changed. He thinks he needs more power at the beginning and he's right, that's that. He believes he has to dominate everything around him to be safe and he's right, going so far as to dominate even the person who supports him to guarantee they can never do anything he doesn't allow them to. That's the story you're presenting.

Online Confused
Firstly, calling Tav his spouse doesn't hint at some amazing ritual

I really respectfully have to disagree. I think it's entirely reasonable to see AA calling tav his spouse as a nod to a ritual that makes them his spouse. Especially with the thrice bite, and the giving of his blood.
I think it's reasonable to argue its not directly canon. Sure. But a fun little nod or an Easter egg for DnD players, I think that's also perfectly reasonable. Just another open avenue to RP. Not meant to be *the* only answer.

If Tav is a spawn then it means serious things for them, such as what happens if they ever disagree with him on something, because a healthy couple has disagreements, even about major things. If Tav is a bride, then they're truly equals and Astarion will actually have someone to potentially push back against him, and Tav is a person in full and absolute agency over themselves. Those two options mean vastly different things for the end of the game.

You might actually find the handbook description an interesting read. It does not state that a bride is an equal of the master vampire. The bride is still heavily influenced by verbal/emotional/physical manipulation and intimidation. A perfect fit for his "silk glove" approach imo. And if they fight, its extremely toxic, compared to a civil war, and the bride does not survive. The spawn write up is also really interesting, and would explain why Cazador had to use punishment to control Astarion, and not mind control.

And to the folks saying that the Ascended ending is morally uncomplicated, that just shows what poor writing Larian created in the firist place, that they tried to present a moral quandry and utterly failed.

I won't disagree with you. AA wouldn't be the only time the story fell, honestly, really flat. My list of things they should remove if they want to tell a story of Astarion become a domestic abuser was a legitimate request. If that's the story they want to tell, that's fully their right. But they did a poor job with it, if it whooshed the entire AA fan base. That's an objective failure. I would also wager less people would have played the game--given how triggering the topic can be. I stand by that not being the case. But if it is, Larian did it in really terrible form.

Page 20 of 60 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 59 60

Link Copied to Clipboard