Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
stranger
stranger
N
Exact same issues after this update as we have all been having since Hotfix 21. Kind of shocking and disappointing that Larian cannot verify that this is an issue on their own end, but it has been a massive downgrade in performance ever since Hotfix 21. High-end Macs were able to run the game on ultra settings with no major issues prior to that. I haven't wanted to deal with finding a way to roll the game back to a prior patch but if I could do it with the press of a button I would.

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Its not *good*, but I have had gameplay success running the game with Whiskey on the latest patch on the Mac. https://getwhisky.app/ In case any of you are desperate enough for a workaround you're willing to re-downloaded it on Steam and jump through the BG3 specific setup hoops.

Definitely not for everyone, but if you have a social need to play the game this can get you over the hump.

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Yeah, the latest patch has not solved the issue. I still get the same framerate drop to around 1-2 fps.

L
stranger
stranger
L
The developers of Larian Studios seem to be absent. Patch 23# still has not addressed this issue, despite our discussions over the past month. The feedback we received was unhelpful. Perhaps Larian should temporarily remove the macOS support label for BG3 on Steam or GOG shop page, as it could be considered misleading to players.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Just updated to the most recent patch. Lag is still ridiculous. Like others here, before the parade of patches, my game ran smoothly. I don't even dare look at my original save that bugged out and was stuck. I suspect it is still stuck and likely not salvageable at this point.

Macbook Pro - M2, 32GB.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I have discovered that some players, who use Windows for gaming, reported experiencing a similar issue to ours following the release of patch 23.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Nobody seems to be in a rush to fix this.

I deleted the game files earlier today (in part to speed up boot time); I think I’ll let it be for a couple months and return at a later date.

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
FYI to anyone interested. I forget who mentioned this elsewhere. Crossover is a viable option. I was able to play at around 10-20 fps in areas I normally used to get around 20-30fps. So the game is at least playable (using the same Ultra settings I've always used) with Crossover.

G
stranger
stranger
G
For what it's worth, I just re-tried switching the display mode from borderless window to fullscreen, and lo and behold, it works! The framerate is back to pre-HF21 levels, and the game is eminently playable again.

I tried the same trick when the frame rate problem first arose, but to no avail. I don't know if it's the subsequent hotfixes or the fact that this time I made the switch in the starting menu, before I'd loaded the save file, but anyway I'm back to the races!

2020 M1 MBP, 16GB RAM, mostly maxxed settings, using a Dell U2421HE monitor

Last edited by Glombh; 01/04/24 06:45 PM.
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Glombh
For what it's worth, I just re-tried switching the display mode from borderless window to fullscreen, and lo and behold, it works! The framerate is back to pre-HF21 levels, and the game is eminently playable again.

I tried the same trick when the frame rate problem first arose, but to no avail. I don't know if it's the subsequent hotfixes or the fact that this time I made the switch in the starting menu, before I'd loaded the save file, but anyway I'm back to the races!

Interesting. Ok let me download it ... again.

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Glombh

Nope, Just tried. In any window setting (borderless, regular or full screen) I get the same behavior.

Fly through House of Hope Raphael's Boudoir from the spa to the door with steps afterwards leading to the inner corridor.

Comes to a screeching halt < 1fps.

Not sure which shaders or effects are getting hit here, but something is clearly wrong.

M2 Max 64gr 12cores 38gpu.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Doesn't work for me either. I tried switching to fullscreen before loading the game, but it still unplayably slow on various floors of Elfsong Tavern. I don't think there was any improvement at all. Maybe the problem is worse in crowded multilevel areas (e.g. House of Hope and Elfsong Tavern)?

I have been unable to play the game for about a month now. All the immersion and narrative momentum has been lost. I have been checking daily to see if there is any fix but am getting frustrated with the lack of progress or even information from Larian. It would be great if they could at least tell us what they are working on and roughly how long they think it will take to fix. As it is, it feels like the Mac version has been abandoned.

M3 Max 64GB

Originally Posted by marvinmartian
Nope, Just tried. In any window setting (borderless, regular or full screen) I get the same behavior.

Fly through House of Hope Raphael's Boudoir from the spa to the door with steps afterwards leading to the inner corridor.

Comes to a screeching halt < 1fps.

Not sure which shaders or effects are getting hit here, but something is clearly wrong.

M2 Max 64gr 12cores 38gpu.

L
stranger
stranger
L
Originally Posted by denumerable
Originally Posted by Grim Kitty
I found a post on Reddit that has a possible solution how to rollback on a mac to Patch 6 before the problems occurred. Scroll down to tenkitron's post.
https://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/comments/1bag2b5/baldurs_gate_3_fps_drop/

I haven't tested it yet, still waiting for the depot download to complete, but may be worth a shot if you don't want to wait for any incoming fix.

EDITED TO ADD:

It works! Any saves made after that patch are no longer compatible, which was expected, but the rollback brought my FPS back up where it was. Worth it if you don't want to wait for Larian to get this fixed for Mac.

Be sure to open BG3 from the file in
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam.AppBundle/Steam/Contents/MacOS/steamapps/content/app_1086940/depot_1419660/
Not through steam launcher.

This worked for me as well! Thank you for sharing.

I moved the .app file from the location you mentioned to:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Baldurs Gate 3/

it saved me around 120GBs to do so.

Also, after you run the app once, you can add it to the Dock while it is running and then easily launch it from there! It works great. So happy to be able to play again.

For anyone struggling with the resolutions acting funny on launch, make sure that you have your Display setting setup so that it matches the resolution setting inside of BG3 (e.g. - Display Setting is 4K for my external display and in game) prior to launch and it will look fine. Otherwise, you can only see a portion of the game. If you need to, search your Mac for "graphicSettings.lsx" and delete it to restore the default settings if you have any issues with graphic errors on relaunching the game.

This solution works for me, you might give it a try. BG3 is back.

stranger
stranger
Same issue here. Game is unplayable, just submitted a bug report.
An update 6 months after launch should not completely break a game like this.
I'm on an M2 Max 2023 Macbook Pro, game ran beautifully at 2560 x 1440 / Ultra about a month ago.
Super disappointing.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Same issue. With Hotfix 23 I have lowered resolution to 2560 x 1440 and active SFR 1.0 at ultra quality and game run slightly better.
But when start the game I Must switching the display mode from borderless window to fullscreen.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Hello all,

The latest Hotfix 24 should address the issue with performance. If after updating to Hotfix 24 (version number 4.1.1.5009956) you are still experiencing the same performance issues, please let our Support Team know: https://larian.com/support/faqs/how-to-submit-a-bug-report_85

G
stranger
stranger
G
A quick test and it seems that hotfix worked, thank you!

I went to an area that was the worst for me and it's back to playable FPS and the macbook is slightly warm (as expected and within normal range) but not screaming hot like it was before the fix.

Please send thanks to the Mac team <3

D
stranger
stranger
D
Just wanted to report that I was having the same issue after trying it on the Mac yesterday, stuttering cut scenes and overall bad performance. After the patch this morning, everything is performing much better.

N
stranger
stranger
N
A quick test and it seems that hotfix worked, but the issue of resolution remain.
I have a resoloution system of 1728x1117 and a game resolution of 2560x1600 and the screen are cropped.
I must change system resolution to 2560x1600 before run the game, or switch the display mode from fullscreen to borderless window, before close the game and switch the display mode from borderless window to full screen after run the game.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Working for me at last!

Many thanks for fixing it, but please test future patches so this doesn't happen again.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard