Uh-hu.

Just for the record, the NWN1 editor was absolutely horrible, the worst game modding tool I've ever encountered. Literally EVERY dialogue was modal.

And if you wanted to have new models etc, you would still have to use the exact same external programs anyway. Personally I only dabbled in this and quickly found out that you need art training/talent for that part. So all I ever did in that regard was really taking other peoples stuff and changed the programming.

About new players wanting to play BG1 and BG2 with "newer" game engines: well if it was just the graphics, I could see your point. As pretty as these old handpainted backgrounds look, the routing of your party is a bit of a PITA, especially in narrow dungeons.

Other than that I dont see the argument that they would be ugly. Thats literally only happening if you zoom in.

And I think if you take away AD&D from BG1 and BG2, you will lose a lot. Newer systems just work too different. So you get the old game but without the charme, and it will just look bad in comparison to new games with all their newly invented features.