Originally Posted by Filia
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
The Larian CEO has never liked DnD and always wanted to make DoS3. At first they tried to make BG3 as DoS-like as possible and got frustrated when DnD fans pushed back.

I might be missing a point here, but if I don't like DnD, why do I even try to pitch for the IP?
Sure they didn't think they could just make a DOS-BG3 and come away with it. If it was for the popularity and the money, alright, but if so, then they sold themselves and their believes - or at least the CEO did so.
If that's the case, it's pretty heartless to hype so many DnD and BG fans while not sharing that hype at all.

In retrospect, they should have used the characters (or similar characters) and come up with either a new DOS or a new IP.

This is basically a bullshit statement. Larian was super stoked about working with WOTC and the D&D partnership. and anyone claiming otherwise is badly misinformed or outright lying. They pitched Bg3 twice to WOTC.

I have no doubt Larian would have loved to continue working with the D&D IP - in a different setting - which there are a TON to choose from.

That people keep getting hung up on this concept of "BG4" just boggles my mind and saddens me - like, really? You want to keep beating that dead horse? The story is told, move on you ding dongs.

In the end HASBRO fucked themselves over here. They needed Larian more than Larian needed them. Hasbro already tried a D&D game and it failed so spectacularly that the gaming studio went out of business. Dark Alliance was a perfect example of what their "corporate culture" is able to produce and will again produce in future.

So whoever is dumb enough to applaud Larian not working with the D&D franchise anymore I hope you enjoy games on the same level of quality as DA because that's the unfinished, buggy, bullshit that you can expect from that franchise. A couple of those and you will be begging Larian to come back.

Frankly I would love to see Larian partner with Critical Role to develop their own new system with a team of seasoned players and game enthusiasts - and make it open source. Or they can wait a few years for Hasbro to eventually sell off the D&D IP when they realize they can't make it profitable with their low-effort spreadsheet worshipping bullshit.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 22/03/24 11:07 PM.

Blackheifer