Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by celestielf
he is intensely unlikeable, cheats on Jaheira with a villain from BG2 and so forth.
With... Irenicus? That's something BG3 would be very much into.

Well that would have at least made the books more interesting.

In other CRPG sequels I've played - which are chiefly Elder Scrolls and Fallout - although they do choose certain events to be canon or not (for example, obviously the Brotherhood of Steel wasn't nuked at the end of Fallout 3), they do generally avoid mentioning anything specific about previous protagonists and only refer to them in vague terms.

Although before anyone says it, I am aware Fallout 1 does have a canon protagonist, as Fallout 2 came with a booklet (remember when games came with books?) that was the Vault Dweller's diary detailing the events of the first game. I don't think he was named, although we do know he was a he, and the original Dogmeat died running into a force field. Other than that, I guess it didn't really matter so much then as most of the NPC's in those games were disposable; people didn't have relationships and become attached to them as with characters like Jaheira, Aerie, and Viconia.