Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#942532 10/05/24 08:12 AM
T
Tauriel Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
I have a question about Halsin's behavior in romance mode. Maybe it was already explained, but I didn't come across it. Now, why would a man like him reject Tav at a party after defeating the goblins? Tav is clearly persuading him to do what Halsin likes best. However, he gets a wall. Later, throughout the second act, also celibacy. Did Halsin take any vows of chastity, and overcoming the shadow curse annulled them?

I
old hand
old hand
I
There is no story reason for it. Halsin was never intended to be a companion, hence "the wall" in act 1 and 2.
But some people thirsted constantly for Halsin sex during EA that Larian decided that they could score easy points, especially as sex became the main selling point of the game when everything else failed.
So the story was rewritten and Halsin became a companion in act 3 (he was supposed to stay in act 2) and as only character trait they gave him "polygamy bear". But Larian did not rewrite the old and already finished content where Halsin is not sex crazed.

A
old hand
old hand
A
During the party he gives me the impression of just being happy to have a nice, chill evening under the sky again after having been imprisoned, low-key tortured and then having to deal with matters surrounding Kaga and grove politics upon his return.

T
Tauriel Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
I don't have the feeling that Halsin is crazy about sex. Tav was more attacked by characters like Lae'zel or Karlach. Halsin seems to be slightly restrained in proposing a closer acquaintance if we compare it to Lae'zel, for example.

A
old hand
old hand
A
I think that refers to him enthusiastically asking if he can join you and your partner in the brothel.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Right now I’m almost at the end of a run romancing Halsin only. I don’t really find him sex crazed either. My impression is that there’s the thing Anska talks about (free after being captured by the goblins). But also the fact that he seems to have a lot on his plate with the grove and the curse. He seems to be feeling the weight of his responsibility in all this. So I guess he is quite preoccupied. Plus, he gets to know you better that way, most of all if you help him. I didn’t feel like it was badly conveyed, all in all.

T
Tauriel Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
To be honest, I don't understand what this perception of Halsin as a sexual predator is all about. For me, he is liberated and likes the sexual sphere, but I don't see him as crazy or obsessed at all. His reticence towards Tav is striking, especially when you learn about his past and the fact that he had a lot of partners.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Well, maybe I’ll be wrong, but from what I’ve seen in comments here and there in various places of the internet, I think it’s just that some had difficulties with certain things where he was concerned. For example, even I had a problem on past runs where he would act as if you had flirted with him at the party, when I hadn’t. I think it was just a bug problem or something, but still. Then the fact that he is the polyamory option, which might not be to everyone’s liking. The fact that some people didn’t like him interjecting when talking to the Drows in the brothel (and subsequent small drop in approval for certain love interests when refused there). Like he would be trying too much to get in people’s knickers, in people’s relationship. I mean, I can get that kind of reaction, I guess. But for myself, personally, I don’t feel like that. In other runs I said I was not interested and that was it. I had him in my party when talking with the Drows when I was romancing Astarion, and it was not a problem because my character was not even interested in what was on offer. Which is maybe quite anecdotal, since based only on my experience with the game. I think the mechanics of the game and such play a role in the short comings of companions and other characters too, so I also try to keep that in mind. I liked him within the romance, or as a possible companion elsewhere.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Tauriel
To be honest, I don't understand what this perception of Halsin as a sexual predator is all about. For me, he is liberated and likes the sexual sphere, but I don't see him as crazy or obsessed at all. His reticence towards Tav is striking, especially when you learn about his past and the fact that he had a lot of partners.

His and other character's romance flags were bugged for a while, which led to him acting like the player had always romanced him, and a lot of players did not enjoy this. This was fixed already, it's actually very easy to shut him down if you don't want to romance him, and once you do he doesn't insist. I was quite hesitant going into act2 and 3 because I had also heard from all sides that he was a sex pest. Imagine my surprise when not only was this not the case, but that it took me deliberately talking about partnering for it to even come up, he seemed very reasonable and open with his offer, and didn't push if rejected.

I think the actual dislike comes from people not wanting any polyam stuff in their game, it's not something everyone enjoys, granted, but the reaction to it has been a bit over-the-top, imo. There's been a similar reaction to Shadowheart's flirty comments about other npcs that she still makes while you are romancing her.

A
old hand
old hand
A
I am not sure if the flags were really bugged as it was stated in the notes for patch 6 that a platonic path was added for him, indicating that there wasn't one before. Previously he just assumed the two of you were on flirting terms, even if you never did flirt with him before. He for example always assumed you had asked him about previous lovers, even if you hadn't - though that might have been a bug.

The whole brothel situation is probably largely to blame for the sentiment that Halsin is sex crazed. Apart from him inserting himself into the orgy, his dialogue during it is also very cringe. Worse, while he insists that you make sure you settle things with your partner during the poly-proposal, he (same as the PC) simply goes along with how the orgy proceeds when the other participant is miserable, which also casts an unfavourable light on him and makes you question how sincere is usual more wholesome demeanour is.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
My answer is that he is preoccupied with his fixation on the shadow curse and responsibilities as a leader. If you see things from his perspective, the grove almost completely fell apart and he later blames himself for not having the required leadership qualities. My interpretation is that he is a person who is very thoughtful and aware of things around him and he is processing what just happened and could have gone horribly wrong and realising that he needs to go back and fix the shadow curse to make things right.

After lifting the shadow curse he feels relieved and able to tend to his own needs and desires again and that's when he allows himself to get close with Tav and others again. Sure the whole brothel interaction kind of breaks this interpretation of him as thoughtful and aware, but I don't think that there is too much to read into the characters from that. It's cringy af and feels more like some teenagers One Direction fan fiction than some deep storytelling moment. His romance sex scene is honestly maybe the best in the game when it comes to communication and awareness. The way he seeks confirmation with words, eyes and body language and calmly leads Tav through it every step of the way is really well done. In contrast, his reaction at the brothel like some kid in a candy shop jumping in without any hesitation or tact feels like it's an entirely different person from the previous caring and sensitive character he has displayed.

Interpret things as you wish, but to me there is no conflict between his stoic rejection to letting Tav close to him in act 1 and the shift in the later acts as the storytelling about his fixation with the mistakes in his past is there to explain it.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Like I said, I haven’t done the orgy with Halsin present (before and during) while romancing someone else. But, from comments and videos, I was under the impression that he was actually not inserting himself. Commenting and asking if you want more company, yes. But that if you said no that was it (for him) ? But yes, like a lot of dialogues in that setup (and more), it’s a bit cringe. And everyone (player character included) seems to be acting a bit unconcerned by a love interest and their problems there. If it goes well, that seems fine, otherwise it appears to lack a good deal of care and aftercare. I liked doing it with Halsin while in an exclusive relationship, because it flowed nicely. Otherwise it didn’t interest me much. From what I’ve seen, the whole thing is a bit cringe to me.

L
L
In my new game, he still acts as though I flirted with him at the tiefling party, which I purposely did not. I told him to take his own advice and relax. After the party, my character still has the "I'm sorry if I came off too forward" dialogue option, so obviously this hasn't been completely fixed.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
I don't know the practical reasons for it, other than probably there was no time to animate a cutscene for this since he was a 'late addition'

My head cannon is that it's because he is being thoughtful and responsible, as a man his age, position, and with his experiences and outlook (As of act I and II) should be. He has offered to help with the tadpoles, and wants to lift the curse, and in a way he is making a deal with Tav/Durge and the gang, so sex might make it a conflict of interest. It's the only real chance he has had to do that in 100 years. Bringing sex into the mix with someone you don't know could produce unnecessary drama that would get in the way of those goals. He is very polite about it though, and doesn't come off as entirely uninterested. Plus I also think he genuinely wants Tav/Durge to go enjoy themselves, they did just help save the grove and Halsin knows that the coming trials will be difficult. He even says himself it may be the last time for a while everyone can just relax and have some fun, and he seems to genuinely want that for Tav/Durge. I do like how you can pick either having a drink or getting to know him without implying you want sex, you can end the convo after that and it will still count as a flirt I believe.

I like that he turns you down though, because I genuinely diddn"t want to jump into bed with him, I wanted to get to know him like I did the other companions. I like the slowish burn that comes from mainly me head cannoning away his lack of content. But this idea that he is catching feels while traveling and having to keep himself under control, really fed into the longing that was building up on my end as the player. It would have been FANTASTIC of they added little snippets after the party and up to the shadow lands. Just little cracks in his demeanor, showing he is getting interested as he gets to know Tav/Durge, when usually he gets so caught up in the task at hand (his words).

I NEED a Ferngullyesque A Dream Worth Keeping moment in the Underdark with him. Nothing too crazy, just a little sumthin.

T
Tauriel Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
@papercut_ninja, Halsin's romantic scene in my opinion is not only the best in BG3, it's the best I've seen in games in general. It was written by a voice actor playing Atarion, you can see a lot of talent.
@AmayaTenjo, in one game my Tav had an affair with Astarion, out of curiosity I checked the dialogue when Halsin proposes poly. I chose the option where Tav says that she is surprised that Halsin jumped out with it. To which Astarion said something like, "You must be joking, everything was already visible in the grove". So it seems that Tav has already charmed Halsin in the grove, which is very early.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
I think Neil Newbon (the voice actor for Astarion) only directed the scene. But I agree that it’s a very good one, on many levels.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
@AmayaTenjo, in one game my Tav had an affair with Astarion, out of curiosity I checked the dialogue when Halsin proposes poly. I chose the option where Tav says that she is surprised that Halsin jumped out with it. To which Astarion said something like, "You must be joking, everything was already visible in the grove". So it seems that Tav has already charmed Halsin in the grove, which is very early.

I mean, I can kind of understand that, all the Tavs/Durges are hot and would peak anyones interest as far as sex goes. But at the same time you barely talk to him even in the grove, so unless Halsin was legit only thinking about sex or it was just initial attraction then, idk maybe? My interest in him was initated at the party, I love the dialogue when you ask him for a drink, I just kind of assume it was the same for him and it develops from there. I also like what he says when you first tell him you want to get to know him. It gives the impression that Tav is being genuine, and he sounds genuine when he says there will be time for that. Its not until Tav says "I would *really* like to get to know you." Where hes all "Aah...*I see*.", as if he wasn't expecting a proposal for sex.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted by AmayaTenjo
I mean, I can kind of understand that, all the Tavs/Durges are hot and would peak anyones interest as far as sex goes.

I honestly really hate the assumption that the PC is hot, even if the game dialogue supports it. XD

Do you mean Astarion not being surprised because Halsin in general talks a lot about "enjoying the freedom of nature's gifts", and Astarion guessing that he would outlaw clothing if he could?

Last edited by Anska; 11/05/24 03:47 PM.
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Anska
Originally Posted by AmayaTenjo
I mean, I can kind of understand that, all the Tavs/Durges are hot and would peak anyones interest as far as sex goes.

I honestly really hate the assumption that the PC is hot, even if the game dialogue supports it. XD

Do you mean Astarion not being surprised because Halsin in general talks a lot about "enjoying the freedom of nature's gifts", and Astarion guessing that he would outlaw clothing if he could?

I was talking about this:

"You must be joking, everything was already visible in the grove". So it seems that Tav has already charmed Halsin in the grove, which is very early.

But that reaction from Astarion always makes me smile. I love that laugh he does, it feels so genuine. And his mockery of Halsin and the clothing comment, even though I'm head over heels in love with him, is hilarious.

I *would* agree with you about Tav/Durge being hot to everyone, but ALL the characters are hot so...

Last edited by AmayaTenjo; 11/05/24 04:09 PM.
A
old hand
old hand
A
Yes, I meant that too. I never heard the Grove line in videos or in game, so I was wondering if they meant Astarion's usual comment concerning Halsin. Granted me not getting romanc-adjacent lines with Halsin doesn't say much, since I keep my conversations with him to Grove politics and whittling. ^^

Last edited by Anska; 11/05/24 05:07 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard