Print Thread
L
LycO Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Hi!

I would like to choose my companion's class when they join my party. It would be awsome like it was in Divinity Original Sin2! This is gonna make the game replayable sooo many times.

Thanks for reading

Regards,
LycO

veteran
veteran
I presume this would never be possible for origin characters ...
But if im corect, we should be able to create our whole group of companions from the start ... and also there should be mercenaries without any particular story, that should be able to fill any role you need.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
G
stranger
stranger
G
Would be interesting whether you can fall in love with your custom made companions too...

veteran
veteran
Sorry, but if the story makes any sense, then Shadowheart must be a cleric of Shar, Wyll a fiend warlock, Gale a wizard and so on.

I really like that we get them as lv1 chars and we can level them up further as we like.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
JoB Offline
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Sorry, but if the story makes any sense, then Shadowheart must be a cleric of Shar, Wyll a fiend warlock, Gale a wizard and so on.

I really like that we get them as lv1 chars and we can level them up further as we like.
I love Wyll's story, but I hate the way he's currently built. It makes no sense.

I really hope that improves.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JoB

I love Wyll's story, but I hate the way he's currently built. It makes no sense.

I really hope that improves.

There are a lot of speculations about him becoming a Hexblade , when that subclass is implemented. It would make much more sense.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
JoB Offline
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by fylimar
There are a lot of speculations about him becoming a Hexblade , when that subclass is implemented. It would make much more sense.
I really hope so. It hurts the way it is right now.

I don't know much about 5e. I've only read a few things to better understand this game, but from what I've read I'm not sure what kind of entity makes a pact with a hexblade. Something from the Shadowfell?

But is that entity in the weapon of the Hexblade? Is it someone called the Raven Queen?

If so, how does that fit in with Wyll's story of hunting down the devil he made a pact with?

Mostly I'm confused. But I really do hope they're able to do something, like change him over to a Hexblade. And hopefully redo his stats to make them appropriate.

veteran
veteran
I vote for "Origin companions".

In exemple Shadowhaert has to be a cleric of shar but her abilities, her skills, her cantrips could be customized.
She could maybe be opened to one or 2 additionnal sublasses (not sure about the lore but you get the idea).

For evey companions, a few things (not always the same) could be customized without changing anything to the story / their quests.

- Abilities, skills, and cantrips are things we could change for every origin companions.
- Classes and races are things we obviously can't change.
- Subclasses could probably for some of them (even if it's only a few of them, let's say shadowheart could be trickery, war or tempest)

Not sure about hair colors or any other visual things. I don't really know how it works.

I think this could be very interresting concept, especially if the side stories are opened enough.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 07/03/21 09:14 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by JoB
I don't know much about 5e. I've only read a few things to better understand this game, but from what I've read I'm not sure what kind of entity makes a pact with a hexblade. Something from the Shadowfell?

But is that entity in the weapon of the Hexblade? Is it someone called the Raven Queen?

It's deliberately left a little vague exactly what you're making the pact with, presumably to allow for multiple interpretations even though I find the flavor to be a lot more restrictive than most other warlock options (there are lots of different individual fiends and fey with different goals and themes to choose from, for example, but "shadowy entities/forces that manifest cursed/magical blades or maybe the Raven Queen" doesn't invite a whole lot of diversity in concepts).

If so, how does that fit in with Wyll's story of hunting down the devil he made a pact with?
It has nothing to do with it at all. That being said, you or they could just ignore the flavor behind the Hexblade if you/they don't feel that it fits. For my money, though, I'd expect the official approach to be that Wyll keeps the Fiend patron and gets Pact of the Blade when it's introduced (assuming that Hexblade makes it into the game, though, I'd expect a "Wyll is a Hexblade now"-type mod to crop up pretty quickly).

JoB Offline
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Blotter
For my money, though, I'd expect the official approach to be that Wyll keeps the Fiend patron and gets Pact of the Blade when it's introduced (assuming that Hexblade makes it into the game, though, I'd expect a "Wyll is a Hexblade now"-type mod to crop up pretty quickly).
I was reading about the Pact of the Blade. My problem with it is that I don't see how it's useful.

It gives him a weapon that he can use...

He already has a weapon he can use. What's special about the new weapon? Sure, I guess it can be any type, and it can "count" as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance.

But it doesn't make him better with a blade. He's still a crappy swordsman, only now with a weapon that counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance.

Personally, I'd like to see something like giving him a complete stat readjustment and then allowing him to use eldritch blast through his weapon. As well as allowing all of his weapon attacks (melee blade attacks, that is) to be based off his CHA rather than STR or DEX.

Last edited by JoB; 07/03/21 09:48 PM.
veteran
veteran
Yes, Wyll as hexblade would be great. Hexblade+pact of the blade means you can use medium armor+shield and you can use any martial weapon and you use your cha instead of str for hit chance and damage of melee weapons.
I would really like to play a hexblade/paladin of vangeance.

The problem is that he has a pact with a fiend.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by JoB
Originally Posted by Blotter
For my money, though, I'd expect the official approach to be that Wyll keeps the Fiend patron and gets Pact of the Blade when it's introduced (assuming that Hexblade makes it into the game, though, I'd expect a "Wyll is a Hexblade now"-type mod to crop up pretty quickly).
I was reading about the Pact of the Blade. My problem with it is that I don't see how it's useful.

It gives him a weapon that he can use...

He already has a weapon he can use. What's special about the new weapon? Sure, I guess it can be any type, and it can "count" as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance.

But it doesn't make him better with a blade. He's still a crappy swordsman, only now with a weapon that counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance.

Personally, I'd like to see something like giving him a complete stat readjustment and then allowing him to use eldritch blast through his weapon. As well as allowing all of his weapon attacks (melee blade attacks, that is) to be based off his CHA rather than STR or DEX.

You're not wrong. Pact of the Blade in tabletop provides flexibility by allowing the warlock to gain proficiency with any melee weapon that they want (along with the ability to designate existing magic weapons as pact weapons) along with the ability to basically pull it out of thin air, which is of admittedly circumstantial use at best. It doesn't do much else to make warlocks better at melee out of the gate, however, and even the floating, variable proficiency that it offers is partially invalidated by the fact that Wyll already has a passive that grants him proficiency with rapiers. I don't know exactly how Larian plans to implement Pact of the Blade, but as it does seem to be commonly complained about, perhaps they'll make some adjustments to it, much like they did with Rangers. Either way, stat adjustments could easily be in the cards for him, since we have seen some for Shadowheart already.

Another thing worth mentioning is that Pact of the Blade provides access to specific invocations that improve a warlock's ability to perform in melee combat; there are also complaints about how well they stack up against less investment-heavy options, but they're there. Maybe a simple buff to the pact would be to also grant the warlock a fighting style or a bonus invocation that has Pact of the Blade as a prerequisite (with Armor of Shadows and Fiendish Vigor as other potential options on the side).

Last edited by Blotter; 07/03/21 10:16 PM.
Z
addict
addict
Z
Yes, Wyll as hexblade would be great. Hexblade+pact of the blade means you can use medium armor+shield and you can use any martial weapon and you use your cha instead of str for hit chance and damage of melee weapons.
I would really like to play a hexblade/paladin of vangeance.

The problem is that he has a pact with a fiend.

Well, the other problem is that staves suck and everyone and their mother that's not a fighter feels forced to go 1H+shield because the extra 2 AC is huge if you're not playing a 2H fighter.

Staves should provide some bonus to spellcasting or give bonus advantage to spell attack rolls/saves, because as it is they are pretty useless as weapons and my druid doesn't get to use Faithwarden's staff as a result.

old hand
old hand
Quarterstaffs should be Versatile, meaning they can be used in either one of two hands (doing less of more damage). In one hand they would be useable with a shield.

Optimistically Apocalyptic

Link Copied to Clipboard