Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Originally Posted by KlarissA
Regarding the keep, I understand the concerns. For the most part, I've seen people bothered by a restriction in the number of things to choose for, or for the spoilers it could provide when recapitulating in the beginning. Yet, I can understand that they went with that, I guess. It's set in Northern Thedas, 10 years or so after Inquisition. I don't expect that a great many choices in previous games are really relevant here. And there are maybe other technical aspects. For example, I'm not really sad to not have to use an online intermediary linked to an EA account (my personal preference).

I also think this system is much more convenient, I was relieved to hear the news, and I'm not exactly a DA superfan so I've got no reason to be (maybe THAT'S why I'm relieved). Yeah, it spoils that it'll need that info for the game so you can assume you'll see consequences to those choices specifically, and the fact that you have to make your inquisitor means you will see them, but that's par for the course.
That it appears in the game doesn't necessarily mean it's important, though. See how Leliana in DAI would speak differently about the Warden depending on if she was romanced by them or not. I loved that detail but I wouldn't call it vital. With many of the choices we will have to specify, I'll try to go in thinking they will be minor details just to try and be surprised if they're not.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Originally Posted by KlarissA
@ Veilburner I'm going to precise one thing, because it seems to me you think that they didn't replace the keep with anything, so sorry if I misunderstood you. We won't be able to use the keep for this one, yes. But we will be able to choose certain things regarding past games at the start (Corinne Busche calls it a sort of "previously on Dragon Age"). We just don't know right now what those choices will be related to.

Oh I know they have something else to take its place. It's just not as in depth or detailed. Maybe I'm wrong.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Well, I'll just say this and leave it at that: as far as I am concerned, Bioware (or any other RPG developer) couldn't possibly create a combat system worse than the BG3 combat system, and as such if BG3's combat system can be tolerated then so can DA4's system.
Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, they never made one even remotely as good, on the other hand. An even their best efforts (BG2) have been outside of the Dragon Age franchise, anyway.

And I say this even as someone who had PLENTY to criticize about BG3 (and Larian's way to design some aspects of their games in general) during three years of EA, as half of my forum history here proves.

Just because you have a hate-boner for turn-based tactics it doesn't mean it's objectively bad.

Last edited by Tuco; 22/06/24 12:18 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Yeah, I don't think, combat is Biowares strong suite. It was ok in BG and maaaybe in DAO, but the rest is not very good. I don't care too much, if the story is good, but after DAI, I stay sceptic tbh.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Taril
Originally Posted by dwig
I get that you really hate BG3, but I am struggling to relate to your claim here.

It's pretty easy to see actually:

And while turn-based combat is the worst

They simply dislike turn based combat (And apparently real-time combat... So seemingly they hate all combat?)

As BG3's combat is turn based, it's natural they would dislike it.
Yes this, mostly. I generally dislike combat in RPGs, but do not hate it. But I do very strongly dislike TB combat, and do consider BG3's combat to be mediocre. And I will even say that I consider TB combat systems to be objectively bad. The worst RT(wP) systems are still way better than the best TB systems.

Last edited by kanisatha; 22/06/24 01:47 PM.
veteran
veteran
I also need to set the record straight here on something else. I don't "hate" BG3. Yes it's possible I may have phrased it that way in a post here or there, but that's purely rhetorical and figurative. I strongly dislike certain aspects of BG3, but don't hate the game as a whole. That word "hate" is used far too loosely in today's society, and that bothers me greatly. "Hate" is a very powerful word, and should be used sparingly so that it doesn't lose its impact when used in appropriate contexts.

This also means I most certainly do not hate Larian (or their devs). I definitely consider their writing to be poor/lame, but in general I do believe Larian is a game studio that genuinely strives for innovation, and I like that about them very much. And I continue to hold out the hope that some day they will make a game that I like and which I will thoroughly enjoy playing.

veteran
veteran
I also need to set the record straight here on something else. I don't "hate" BG3. Yes it's possible I may have phrased it that way in a post here or there, but that's purely rhetorical and figurative. I strongly dislike certain aspects of BG3, but don't hate the game as a whole. That word "hate" is used far too loosely in today's society, and that bothers me greatly. "Hate" is a very powerful word, and should be used sparingly so that it doesn't lose its impact when used in appropriate contexts.

This also means I most certainly do not hate Larian (or their devs). I definitely consider their writing to be poor/lame, but in general I do believe Larian is a game studio that genuinely strives for innovation, and I like that about them very much. And I continue to hold out the hope that some day they will make a game that I like and which I will thoroughly enjoy playing.

I think, people like different things. In general, there is no right or wrong. Either a story or a character speaks to you or not. My favourite DA game is actually 2, because I liked Hawke, I liked the general story and the npcs were pretty strong, even the unlikeable. Many people would not see it that way and that is absolutely ok.

I like, that smaller studios like Larian or the Elden Ring studio are successful and getting more attention and that they use that to put the fingers on the problems of the modern gaming industry.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
For those of you who like the DA games, all three are on 90% off sale on Steam. I picked up all three for $10 so I can have them in my Steam library and not have to care about the Origin app anymore.

stranger
stranger
I have some bad news, the steam games still require you to use the damn EA app to play the games, even when launched through steam.

veteran
veteran
For those of you who like the DA games, all three are on 90% off sale on Steam. I picked up all three for $10 so I can have them in my Steam library and not have to care about the Origin app anymore.
I was thinking to do that and thanks for reminding me. Though I might go through GOG, because then I don't have to use the EA apps. I wasn't able to play a game outside of DA2 the last years, since that stupid app just won't work and the support is less than helpful. ANd GOG has them on sale too and according to a friend, you don't have to use the app, at least not for DAO and DA2.

Doctor Who
D
addict
addict
D
Origin App is another reason to be wary of the new DA.

The only good thing I can say about it is that it isn't Ubisoft Connect.

L
L

Thanks so much for the heads up! I would have to forego my preorder elk mount for Inquisition, but I hate the EA app so much that this makes up for it.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Taril
I get that you really hate BG3, but I am struggling to relate to your claim here.

It's pretty easy to see actually:

And while turn-based combat is the worst

They simply dislike turn based combat (And apparently real-time combat... So seemingly they hate all combat?)

As BG3's combat is turn based, it's natural they would dislike it.
Yes this, mostly. I generally dislike combat in RPGs, but do not hate it. But I do very strongly dislike TB combat, and do consider BG3's combat to be mediocre. And I will even say that I consider TB combat systems to be objectively bad. The worst RT(wP) systems are still way better than the best TB systems.

Bg3 is the best in turn-based combat - but if you don't like TB combat so be it.

Elden Ring (Dark Souls) is the best in Real time combat. But if you don't like RT combat so be it.

So that leaves Disco Elysium then? Detroit: Become Human? Those two would be the best in no combat, pure RPG.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Honestly, I don't think that ethnically, BG3 is all hat amazing as a turn based game. I find Solasta to be way more satisfying as a gameplay experience. Wrath of the Righteous is pretty good but not the best as turn based. But I like it a lot, still.

T
addict
Online Content
addict
T
Yeah, I wouldn't call either BG3 nor Elden Ring the epitome of their respective genres...

BG3 is pretty non-standout as far as TB goes. It doesn't do anything noteworthy, it is simply just a generic TB system with a rough DnD 5e basis. Not much different to the likes of Kingmaker, Wrath of the Righteous or Solasta.

Personally, I found PoE2 to be a more mechanically interesting TB system (With the caveat of spell casting times).

To say nothing of JRPG style TB systems like FFX, Octopath Traveler, Eiyuden Chronicles or even Pokemon.

Then in regards to Elden Ring... Honestly out of the Souls series I'd put Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2 above Elden Ring mechanically. All ER has for an edge is its open world gameplay wise.

But then in terms of Soulslikes you have things like Nioh and Sekiro which are simply more mechanically interesting than the Souls series.

Again, with other styles of RT combat such as Monster Hunter, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, Devil May Cry, the Arkham games, that recent Spider-Man game that was a huge hit (I forget what it was called).

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Honestly, I don't think that ethnically, BG3 is all hat amazing as a turn based game. I find Solasta to be way more satisfying as a gameplay experience. Wrath of the Righteous is pretty good but not the best as turn based. But I like it a lot, still.
Wrath and Kingmaker have tons of atmosphere and interesting characters while BG3 has neither of that.

And yes, Solasta>>>BG3 for turn based combat (extra comparable because of the same rules).
I haven't tried Rogue Trader yet for another comparison

Last edited by Ixal; 25/06/24 10:19 AM.
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Origin App is another reason to be wary of the new DA.

The only good thing I can say about it is that it isn't Ubisoft Connect.

They’ve announced that the game will be entirely playable offline, with no need to link to the EA account. They apparently had a lot of feedback from people who were not interested in such a thing. And that’s in part why the keep we could connect to, to register choices from previous games, will not function here. They opted for a built in solution at the start of the game so that we can precise aspects of our world state.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost

Yeah, I've played Solasta, it's petty good. It has a fairly long list of problems. No Replay-ability, bad multiplayer, bad voice and graphics, the story is pretty sub-par. It's very expensive with all the DLC (which I get, they need to fund operations and have a much smaller player base)

My biggest problem with BG3 is that the only module they have for it is BG3 and it's pretty bad for multiplayer. We don't have cross play or modding yet, and Act 3 is undercooked, and ACT 2 feels claustrophobic and is incredibly hostile to multiplayer.

ACT 1 is great though, almost perfect. I like EA Bg3 more than full release BG3.

Blackheifer
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
ACT 1 is great though, almost perfect. I like EA Bg3 more than full release BG3.

I'm biased but because of the burnout I got from playing EA so many times I kind of hate Act 1 now because I know it like the back of my hand. Plus the plot is at its most uninteresting there IMO.

T
addict
Online Content
addict
T
Originally Posted by jinetemoranco
I'm biased but because of the burnout I got from playing EA so many times I kind of hate Act 1 now because I know it like the back of my hand. Plus the plot is at its most uninteresting there IMO.

I'd honestly disagree.

Act 1 is the only time in the game where the plot is actually remotely decent.

The whole "Tadpole in brain is bad. Lets find a way to remove it" is simple, but effective. It provides good reason to get involved with things and you're not bogged down the terrible knowledge that the whole tadpole/artifact fiasco is a literary landfill full of poorly written characters and badly realized plot points...

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard