Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
It's been a couple of months since I finished my first playthrough of BG3, and now my brother is playing his copy. He's just got into act 2, and he's been telling me what's been happening as he goes, while I'm telling him about my game of The Witcher. I played bard, he's playing paladin, but it's just quite strange hearing about his game because it's so different from mine.

In the wilderness,
I think the biggest thing is that he never met Wyll, so probably never spoke to or realised the significance of Councillor Florrick (I don't know if he ever got to Waukeen's Rest anyway), and also never met Karlach.
But in the Underdark,
he seems to have explored about 5 times as much as me, even though I thought I'd searched everywhere. But I don't think he met the Kuo-Toa or Auntie Ethel (who I found from the Underdark). And now, because he didn't get rid of explody Gale, he's spoken to Elminster, who in my game just hung around telling me how dull he is.
He's very keen to avoid any spoilers so I'm not explicitly mentioning anything he hasn't seen. All the awesome things he hasn't mentioned, I don't know if he's not seen them or if he just didn't mention them because they're not important!

It's just odd following someone else along by text messages, when they seem to be getting such different results. Makes me wonder how different my second game will be, too

veteran
veteran
First time RPG player I see.

Often the very selling point of those games is that you can do multiple playthroughs that will be different every time you play.

Personally I have seen it happen much outside Tim Cain-adjacent games (Fallout1&2, and troika stuff like Arcanum or Vampires).

BG3 allows for enough freedom and has so much missable content that it is quite likely that different players will have different experiences - player agency is very much at the heart of game’s design. I not sure how well it translates for multiple playthroughs - but you can judge it by yourself.

Baldur's Gate 3 can feel like a whole different game when you later decide to go on a much darker path, won't spoil anything but here is an interesting tip for a future playthrough if you've not tried it already.

The Dark Urge, while default character is dragonborn it is 100% customizeable to your own preferences from race to body type and all.

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
I played BG3 with a friend after having played full release a few times and she wasn't familiar with RPGs or gaming in general and her way to navigate the game was fascinating, and at times frustrating. She REALLY overestimated the approval system.

T
OP Offline
T
Not my first video game RPG, but the first one in a long time that I've talked to someone in detail about and planned to replay. I think the last RPG I replayed in full might have been Deus Ex - and that's only a partial RPG. Maybe VTM Bloodlines. They just take so long to go through in full! I planned to do a second run of Skyrim, but my mods broke and it never happened. But also, not many of my friends play the same games as me so I never really get to talk about them in any detail.

I'm definitely planning a durge run next. I was going to play as Astarion, but someone on here told me his story is much better if he's not the player character.

Early on in BG3 my brother
went running straight to the Githyanki creche instead of the goblin camp because Lae'zel told him to, until the game said he wasn't high enough level. That... would have had an interesting effect on the game if they completed the Rite of Thorns and locked off the grove.
I was just thinking "why?!"

Link Copied to Clipboard