Print Thread
#944782 11/07/24 08:02 AM
T
Tauriel Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
I have this thought about playing as a gith race. Well, I'm glad I finally decided to do it, because I see that this race has the most unique dialogues, interactions, and I have the impression that by default you should play as gith. However, during the adventure, I see some big drawbacks. Why our Tav is lower than Lae Zel. Voss calls her "child" on the pass, and Tav "servant". Later, Lae is still positioned as more important.Tav is a gith, but everything indicates that he only has a supporting role to Lae, and yet he is the leader of the group. This is a big glitch. What do you think?

I
old hand
old hand
I
A general flaw of BG3.
In Larians storytelling, the main character is unimportant, only the companions/origin characters matter.

veteran
veteran
I love my gith mage and am planning another goth character. But I made her a Githzerai in my head that accidentally stranded in Faerun as a child after some portal accident. She poses as Githyanki to not antagonise Lae'zel ( and later tells her the truth). That is my explanation,why she knows so much about Faerun and is not as accepted among the goth she meets. They can see, something is different.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
journeyman
journeyman
I imagine most of the Gith flavour text was designed with a Lae'zel origin playthrough in mind, although, there is some that is designed for the PC.
On the other hand, the game did offer a unique ending with a romanced Lae'zel... until they opened it up for everyone to get in the last patch.

Edit:
Githzerai

Shame they didn't offer that as a race option, would've made certain classes and dialogue options feel abit less strange.
Also could've added some character drama with Lae'zel too.

Last edited by Thunderbolt; 11/07/24 10:09 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt
I imagine most of the Gith flavour text was designed with a Lae'zel origin playthrough in mind, although, there is some that is designed for the PC.
On the other hand, the game did offer a unique ending with a romanced Lae'zel... until they opened it up for everyone to get in the last patch.

Edit:
Githzerai

Shame they didn't offer that as a race option, would've made certain classes and dialogue options feel abit less strange.
Also could've added some character drama with Lae'zel too.

I agree about the Githzerai. There is a mod for them, but I want to finish my honour mode before trying that.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
That's my problem with playing a gith. Lae'zel tends to overshadow the narrative. Not that I don't love Lae'zel and her story. It's just that though... HER story.

I'd play her as an origin except I think it's weird to play a female as a guy. I can't get into that.

JandK #944893 12/07/24 06:35 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by JandK
I'd play her as an origin except I think it's weird to play a female as a guy. I can't get into that.
Immerse in your killer lolli fantasy!
Imagine that you are Youjo Senki, a man dumped into a girl's body.

journeyman
journeyman
Today, I completed my first playthrough with my Githyanki necromancer, Sava (See profile picture), and loved every minute of it! I do agree, however, that some dialogues took a weird direction by either ignoring my Tav was a Githyanki, or not offering [GITHYANKI] dialogue option consistently. I would have loved to have more of that vitriolic temper, at least as an option. Coming from 2nd edition AD&D where Githyanki necromancers are of similar rank as Kith'raki, often advising military leaders or acting as healers, my role-playing explanation was that Sava came to Faerûn as student of a powerful Githyanki necromancer who later fell from grace with the Vlaakith regime, shortly before the events of Baldur's Gate 3. Therefore, Sava never pushed the point.

Last edited by Tav'ith'sava; 31/07/24 06:03 PM.
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Simple. Lae'zel is a baddie ( double entendre meaning ), you're not. That's why she gets all the positive attention.

Last edited by Relogon; 01/08/24 05:43 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Well, now that I think of it, I also thought a necromancer would be a little more knowledgeable about the undead and not confuse Withers with a simple skeleton, for example. Sava had probably never animated anything larger than a crawling claw before her little adventure here.

journeyman
journeyman
P.S.: After reading up on forums and other sources, I think I've got my draft. Lae'zel probably considers Sava a farm egg since she is from a rather backwater crèche and can't provide credentials of her past. Hence the Tir'su lessons and lae'splaining. Details in another thread: Calling all Roleplayers!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tav'ith'sava
P.S.: After reading up on forums and other sources, I think I've got my draft. Lae'zel probably considers Sava a farm egg since she is from a rather backwater crèche and can't provide credentials of her past. Hence the Tir'su lessons and lae'splaining. Details in another thread: Calling all Roleplayers!

That is honestly the best explanation for our gith characters. I made mine a stranded githzerai to explain her a bit outsider status.

I just started another gith lady. Her backstory is, that she was separated from a group of youth doing some training outside the crèche, got attacked by a gnoll and was found by an adventurer, working for a society in the Oghma temple,who are looking for and studying rare magic artefacts and tomes and keep an eye on mysterious occurrences. She became a part of that group and thus became more familiar with Faerun culture and less with her own.

Doctor Who

Link Copied to Clipboard