Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
For me he doesn't fit my evil playstyle as I prefer playing the scheming deceptive evil rather than cackling megalomaniac. I felt like my PC would constantly have to try keeping him from playing our hand: "Astarion, shush! We are not going to pick a fight with this community out in the open where we are outnumbered 50 to 1. Let's play nice and earn their trust and then backstab them when we have the odds on our side." And then Astarion just rolls his eyes and moans about how dreadfully boring we are. Like fine, I'll keep you in camp when we talk to people then and I'll let you know when the spilling of blood is about to begin.

For my canon playthrough where I had no metaknowledge beyond parts of act 1 that I had seen in early access and I played my character to react to things making the most logical choices that fit their personality and what they knew, I sent Astarion away after he tried to bite me. My logical reasoning for this was that I already knew him to be dishonest, so there was too much risk trusting that this time he would stay true to his word.

Trusting him turns out to be a very beneficial decision in the end, but it is objectively a terrible decision at that pont in the game when looking at all the facts you have in front of you.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by KiraMira
Astarion and Minthara is the perfect partners in crime for a evil playthrough. I never felt the need to call them out. Maybe I did in my first goodish playthrough, I can't remember.

I also didn't necessarily feel the need to talk to Astarion about his psychopathic score or discuss it with him haha. Joke aside, there are a few moments where you can call him out a bit, as others mentioned before, e.g. whether he envies Cazador (which indirectly implies whether he would also like to have that power or is as ruthless as him), and especially up until act 3 he usually reacts in accordance with his character (like Narcissism, Machiavellianism, and only sometimes with a bit empathy) or in this case, agrees. Or after ascension when he is told that one tyrant replaces another, when he honestly admits it. (Which I do really like! It shows he is very self-confident and don't feel the urge to lie or to hide. Or he doesn't even take it as a critical comment). If he could have been called out on other occasions, he would have responded in the same way, I would assume.
Apart from the spawn route, which I don't like for certain reasons, I think Astarion's reactions are mostly pretty brilliantly made and, thank God, he doesn't lose his narcissistic traits in the ascending route.

I can imagine Astarion being a bit annoying if you are strictly playing a good Tav, much as Karlach is a bit annoying on a evil one.

No, for me, not at all, but I have my own taste. The only thing, which sometimes was a bit annoying, when playing a good Tav, is, when he disapproves on your good choices. But he never said annoying things, on the contrary, he showed a great interest in my naive and shy Tav (even without much approval) and so he seduced him really early in the game, and before the party. I loved that. It was well done by Larian.

As for gaslighting, never felt that.

I think this word from the op is a strong one and probably has a negative connotation, I think what we see in the game is a stylistic device in making an evil character interesting and loveable. Like, the game or story doesn't focus or calls out so much on Astarion's evil behaviours, and it's surely not made in a negative, but in a positive way or thought: To create an evil character, which can be liked and romanced by players. Also in movies and other fiction, when the intention is to create a villain, people but should sympathize with them or should find them very interesting (sooner or later), they for example would probably not focus on the suffering of the victims. Because if the focus would be too much on the victims and you would feel empathy with them, you would not sympathize with the villain and start to disgust him, at least, the majority. But using this stylistic device doesn't mean, that people, who indeed like the villain, would not recognize this, most people know and understand, what's right and wrong.

"I would, thank God, watch the universe perish without shedding a tear."
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by papercut_ninja
For my canon playthrough where I had no metaknowledge beyond parts of act 1 that I had seen in early access and I played my character to react to things making the most logical choices that fit their personality and what they knew, I sent Astarion away after he tried to bite me. My logical reasoning for this was that I already knew him to be dishonest, so there was too much risk trusting that this time he would stay true to his word.

Trusting him turns out to be a very beneficial decision in the end, but it is objectively a terrible decision at that pont in the game when looking at all the facts you have in front of you.

Like you, I always try to make the choices that best fit my PCs’ characters and what they know. Whether those choices are logical or not will depend on the character smile I can see why many good characters would send Astarion away or even kill him after the bite scene, but I’ve now done two chaotic good playthroughs (despite trying to mix it up and play different characters, it is my happy place) and in both Astarion stayed with the party but for different reasons. In my first, my PC wouldn’t kill him once he’d backed off and was willing to extend the benefit of the doubt that he’d not killed before, but sending him off to potentially prey on innocents seemed irresponsible so she thought she’d better keep him where she could keep an eye on him. My second chaotic good PC was an erratic risk taker with a heart of gold, so would always be happy to give folk a second, third and even fourth chance, and was also fascinated by everything and had never met a vampire spawn before so it was an excellent opportunity for new experiences and knowledge (this was my cleric of Oghma/ jack-of-all-trades playthrough).

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by The Red Queen

Like you, I always try to make the choices that best fit my PCs’ characters and what they know. Whether those choices are logical or not will depend on the character smile I can see why many good characters would send Astarion away or even kill him after the bite scene, but I’ve now done two chaotic good playthroughs (despite trying to mix it up and play different characters, it is my happy place) and in both Astarion stayed with the party but for different reasons. In my first, my PC wouldn’t kill him once he’d backed off and was willing to extend the benefit of the doubt that he’d not killed before, but sending him off to potentially prey on innocents seemed irresponsible so she thought she’d better keep him where she could keep an eye on him. My second chaotic good PC was an erratic risk taker with a heart of gold, so would always be happy to give folk a second, third and even fourth chance, and was also fascinated by everything and had never met a vampire spawn before so it was an excellent opportunity for new experiences and knowledge (this was my cleric of Oghma/ jack-of-all-trades playthrough).

My PC's decision wasn't as much based in good or evil morality. She was more of a pragmatist acting in self-interest. What she had learned about Astarion at that point is that he was dishonest and he seemed like someone who could jump ship at a moment's notice. So he was too much of a liability and it was the best chance she would have to dismiss him before he could manipulate the other companions to take his side (which she was intending to do herself and she did not want competition).

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
@Zayir

CW: Discussion of abuse, trauma and its possible repercussions, especifically talking about real cases.
This has been edited to exclude more sensitive sections that were improper to discuss on a videogame forum (my bad!), so it might be a bit less coherent, but hopefully my points still stand solidly enough.

(I removed the beginning of this sentence so hopefully this is still coherent) I don't think that's necessarily the case for the people who've seen themselves reflected in Astarion's actions. I'd venture to say that they're at a point where they've been working to change themselves for the better for a long time.

I think, reflecting my points made here previously, people are going to project onto Astarion and see his story as more metaphoric, so when they say they feel seen by his anger and his "everyone out for themselves" philosophy I'm pretty sure they don't mean his more heinous acts. There's a difference between being mean to someone and generally lashing out vs the full extent of what Astarion does in the game. Lots of people IRL will be toxic without necessarily having a personality disorder. I don't know if that's what you meant by your last sentence, but I find it especially important to emphasize I don't think anyone who has talked about seeing themselves in Astarion has harmed children, because I think that can be a slippery slope of a claim. I also think OP's claims that Astarion is a child abuser are done in bad faith, and doubt people who see themselves in Astarion do so because of his past treatment of children.
In my case I can at least pretty confidently confirm that while I do have some mental illnesses (Depression, OCD) I don't have any personality disorders. A long time ago, I was just a mean teenager who was plain mean towards other teenagers, and I regret it a lot, but I understand now why I was lashing out like that and I'm glad I eventually had a support system to unlearn those behaviors.

I want to remark that my intentions in this thread were both to answer to the claims that Astarion's selfish victim archetype and severely toxic behavior towards innocents had no possible (loose) real life parallel and precedent, and the idea stories are literal and 1:1 in what they mean vs what they're grabbing from irl.
I think the writing intent points pretty clearly towards more closely mirroring a more blatant and extreme version (as fiction often does) of everyday victims who respond to that kind of trauma by becoming worse, more selfish people that lash out at others.
Something I've seen talked about that I find important is people talking about how "going through trauma doesn't make you a better person", and Astarion is an extremely exaggerated version of that. But the trauma he has gone through is also accordingly exaggerated, because no one has gone through 200 years of torture.

I think Astarion is part of a dichotomy I've seen often in how people can react to trauma, that other part of the dichotomy being someone like Wyll or Karlach. Basically, Astarion represents the people who at at least one point have gone "I've suffered, why shouldn't anyone else?" while Wyll and Karlach go "I've suffered, so I'll try to prevent anyone else from going through that"

Last edited by jinetemoranco; 14/07/24 07:26 PM. Reason: Spoilered content and removed more serious, delicate topics
A
old hand
old hand
A
Reading your last reply to me, I find it very hard to make out what you are actually going on about, especially since a few points are simply untrue.

All the three characters who harbour secrets (Astarion, Gale and Shadowheart) are roughly treated the same in the way their secrets are presented. Gale is the odd one out because his secret is a true secret for both the PC and the player, so his reveal happens much more naturally. In Astarion and Shadowheart's cases, it is obvious to the player what they are, while the reveal to the PC is staged through a couple of events - in Astarion's case, him sneaking off, you finding the boar and eventually bite-night. It is not true that you cannot mind-link with Astarion, which you seem to imply. The PC can do this twice, once when the tadpole connects you during your initial meeting and a second time during bite-night when you can check his claim that he is usually feeding from animals. This second instance is functionally the same as what you do with Gale, invading his privacy to fish for informations.

People have given you several examples for when you can challenge Astarion's believes too. You even brought up your own because I thought the scene when his siblings visit the camp give me ample opportunity to act against his wishes and call him out for being uncaring towards the other spawn. To add another example, if you do go down the "you think power lets you do anything" route in the bear-dinner scene, you can do nothing but challenge his believes. There is no option to agree with him.

I think the only scene in which I truly feel like I am missing the opportunity to challenge him (besides what I already mentioned) is the scene after defending him from Araj on the romanced route. Here he happily tells you that he exploited you and mocks you for it, right after thanking you for not doing the same to him and - unless you want to break-up with him - you can only continue by telling him that you care about him. But I have ranted about this at length in other threads, so I'll leave it at this.

As for Karlach, she was a bodyguard to a rising arms-dealer and crime lord, yet she plays the "I thought everything was about board" card, which means she is either somewhat stupid or deliberately looked the other way while knowing full and well what was going on. So it bugs me a lot that I cannot challenge this story of performative innocence, since I frankly don't buy it.

Originally Posted by fylimar
I have anxiety and love horror. It's a good way to deal with it. That's why act 2 is my favourite part of the game, you are basically in Lovecrafts wet dream. And yes, it is good and healthy to separate fantasy and reality, but stories can help people to deal with quite a bit.

Stories is a good way to deal with it, I heartily agree.

That said, I prefer to play good in BG3,since I just like too many NPCs. But imo, if you want, you can call Astarion out quite a lot. He will not always acknowledge it or react like a toddler, but he is changing. His conversations are more friendly and he starts approving, if you help people, has different banter and is generally more open minded. He is an evil character, but he can go one way or the other, depending on what he takes from the group. If I'd ever do an evil playthrough ( maybe after patch 7), I would use Astarion for that for sure.

I think I do see what you mean,
thinking about my latest playthrough I got spawn dialog from him after accepting Bhaal and it really did not suit him as ascended. Huge difference. But I think it is a bit up to interpetation from the player if he is "unhappy spawn", pretending to be good or "corrupted ascended", any trace of goodness destroyed forever. I can see how both can be true for different players headcannons. And is generally why I'm not that keen on discussing what is true of those two, because I think it wholly depends on the player.

Originally Posted by Zayir
Or after ascension when he is told that one tyrant replaces another, when he honestly admits it. (Which I do really like! It shows he is very self-confident and don't feel the urge to lie or to hide. Or he doesn't even take it as a critical comment). If he could have been called out on other occasions, he would have responded in the same way, I would assume.
Apart from the spawn route, which I don't like for certain reasons, I think Astarion's reactions are mostly pretty brilliantly made and, thank God, he doesn't lose his narcissistic traits in the ascending route.

I agree with you, I really like that part too, he feel so honest to me at that point. But I've always been very mistrusting of overly good characters, less so of openly bad characters. Although I will say I never trusted Astarion once in my first playthrough, not until he said he gave Tav a drop of his own blood.

I can imagine Astarion being a bit annoying if you are strictly playing a good Tav, much as Karlach is a bit annoying on a evil one.

No, for me, not at all, but I have my own taste. The only thing, which sometimes was a bit annoying, when playing a good Tav, is, when he disapproves on your good choices. But he never said annoying things, on the contrary, he showed a great interest in my naive and shy Tav (even without much approval) and so he seduced him really early in the game, and before the party. I loved that. It was well done by Larian.

I was mainly thinking of the constant disapproval. Everyone is so different, I would not want to downplay anyones choices in game. I can totally see the allure with having a good Tav falling for Astarion who "corrupts" them. Honestly it was kind of my first playthrough! Although my Tav lost much of their shy, naive nature by Act 3, hehe.

As for gaslighting, never felt that.

I think this word from the op is a strong one and probably has a negative connotation, I think what we see in the game is a stylistic device in making an evil character interesting and loveable. Like, the game or story doesn't focus or calls out so much on Astarion's evil behaviours, and it's surely not made in a negative, but in a positive way or thought: To create an evil character, which can be liked and romanced by players. Also in movies and other fiction, when the intention is to create a villain, people but should sympathize with them or should find them very interesting (sooner or later), they for example would probably not focus on the suffering of the victims. Because if the focus would be too much on the victims and you would feel empathy with them, you would not sympathize with the villain and start to disgust him, at least, the majority. But using this stylistic device doesn't mean, that people, who indeed like the villain, would not recognize this, most people know and understand, what's right and wrong.

You say it very well. I agree if the focus was more on the victims without knowing him too much his part in the story would be very different. I still don't feel "gaslit" because the story makes it very clear he is evil or at least someone you should watch out for. It's why I found him so interesting on my first playthrough. "Why is he so shady? What is he hiding?"

Last edited by KiraMira; 14/07/24 05:44 PM.
veteran
veteran
I have anxiety and love horror. It's a good way to deal with it. That's why act 2 is my favourite part of the game, you are basically in Lovecrafts wet dream. And yes, it is good and healthy to separate fantasy and reality, but stories can help people to deal with quite a bit.

Stories is a good way to deal with it, I heartily agree.

That said, I prefer to play good in BG3,since I just like too many NPCs. But imo, if you want, you can call Astarion out quite a lot. He will not always acknowledge it or react like a toddler, but he is changing. His conversations are more friendly and he starts approving, if you help people, has different banter and is generally more open minded. He is an evil character, but he can go one way or the other, depending on what he takes from the group. If I'd ever do an evil playthrough ( maybe after patch 7), I would use Astarion for that for sure.

I think I do see what you mean,
thinking about my latest playthrough I got spawn dialog from him after accepting Bhaal and it really did not suit him as ascended. Huge difference. But I think it is a bit up to interpetation from the player if he is "unhappy spawn", pretending to be good or "corrupted ascended", any trace of goodness destroyed forever. I can see how both can be true for different players headcannons. And is generally why I'm not that keen on discussing what is true of those two, because I think it wholly depends on the player.

Ascended route has you killing 7000 people and a whole tribe of Gur.SInce I don't fancy playing evil, this is not what I like to do. Plus I actually like the Gur, especially Gandrel and Uma. I also would never accept Bhaal, since that is accepting slavery again. I think, spawn Astarion can go at least to the chaotic neutral category, ascended more neutral to chaotic evil. I'm not discussing what the better route is, since there are enough threads about this topic, this was just to point out, that unlike Minthara, Astarion and Lae'zel, the other evil companions, can have drastic changes based on how their stories unfold.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
S
old hand
old hand
S
Somewhat unrelated, but
I really wish we had more follow up on the vampire spawn. While this setting isn't directly based on any real life country/time period to an extent where such numbers are faithful, most raiding Viking armies held between 1000-2000 men. A sizeable Viking force was considered to be around 3000 men.

Those are 7000 spawn. Sometimes I wonder if the only humane choice unleashed a greater evil on the world. Small settlements like the Myconids we meet stand no chance.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Silver/
Somewhat unrelated, but I really wish we had more follow up on the vampire spawn. While this setting isn't directly based on any real life country/time period to an extent where such numbers are faithful, most raiding Viking armies held between 1000-2000 men. A sizeable Viking force was considered to be around 3000 men.

Those are 7000 spawn. Sometimes I wonder if the only humane choice unleashed a greater evil on the world. Small settlements like the Myconids we meet stand no chance.

If you talked to the Gur kids and Sebastian, you can find out, that the Gur actually take care of their kids again and Sebastian writes you a letter, that the spawns are doing fine in the Underark. He and Astarions brotehrs and sisters are helping them stay on path.

Doctor Who
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Just highlighting a recent addition to forum rules: “While we are aware that sometimes users might want to have these discussions in reference to the games, please try to keep conversations about heavier topics (abuse, sexual assault, etc) within spoilered text with an appropriate warning, so other users can choose if they want to engage.”

Could I ask folk to bear that in mind here, and that this is intended to be a fun, open forum about video games so maybe don’t go *too* heavy or controversial even in spoiler tags?

Cheers!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
You're right, my bad. I'll remove the segments of my comment that tackle the heavier topics, and spoil the rest since it's pretty overwhelmingly about that. Thanks for the reminder!

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Silver/
Somewhat unrelated, but I really wish we had more follow up on the vampire spawn. While this setting isn't directly based on any real life country/time period to an extent where such numbers are faithful, most raiding Viking armies held between 1000-2000 men. A sizeable Viking force was considered to be around 3000 men.

If you talked to the Gur kids and Sebastian, you can find out, that the Gur actually take care of their kids again and Sebastian writes you a letter, that the spawns are doing fine in the Underark. He and Astarions brotehrs and sisters are helping them stay on path.
My issue is more of how long that lasts and how further writers may treat the issue. They have
clearly survived, so are able to build a basis of operations with weapons and whatnot. How long they stay off the path of raiding to enslave humanoids for their blood is another matter, though to be fair, raiding and slavery are nothing unusual in the underdark. It would only be exceptionally bad if they extended their network to the surface.

A
old hand
old hand
A
From the way it is described in the letters by the Gur and Sebastian, as well as in the two versions of Under Dark Epilogue that I know of, they are mostly busy trying to survive and create a somewhat comfortable life out for themselves. It is stated that some of the spawn didn't survive and others didn't choose to stay with the community.

The assumption that they become one murderous horde hell-bend on enslaving others is an odd take on this situation and on the ending that is the one about breaking free from power abuse. Of course they could, but so could any large group of people.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Anska
From the way it is described in the letters by the Gur and Sebastian, as well as in the two versions of Under Dark Epilogue that I know of, they are mostly busy trying to survive and create a somewhat comfortable life out for themselves. It is stated that some of the spawn didn't survive and others didn't choose to stay with the community.

The assumption that they become one murderous horde hell-bend on enslaving others is an odd take on this situation and on the ending that is the one about breaking free from power abuse. Of course they could, but so could any large group of people.
I don't think it's an odd take at all. Vampires
specifically hunger for humanoid blood. In any non-tribal society, an upper class will eventually establish itself, and with that comes conquest for limited resources. 99/100 times, play this precise scenario, you're going to end up with a people who practice slavery to have access to that blood. The last one is the "vegan" (animal blood) utopia where everyone either holds hands and lives blissfully in harmony, or finds willing donors. There are just too many spawn for that scenario winning out to seem likely to me.

The best case scenario is that the vampires are not particularly successful in the underdark in establishing their own society, which would eliminate this future straight at the root. That leaves the development of raiding parties, particularly among those who are not under Astarion's thumb, and drows having to deal with a vampire crisis in general. I imagine it's easier for some spawn to go undercover there than others. Unleashing 7000 spawn is a bit like unleashing 7000 mini dark urges: some will overcome it, some will revel in it. You generally want them to integrate into pre-existing societies instead of having the chance for a new tyrant to establish themselves. It's less safe for the individual vampires, but is at least a step towards preventing them from becoming a noteable faction.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Hey, the churches of Lathander and Kelemvor can always do with some more stuff to do.

But, on a more serious note. The number is just something Larian's writers pulled out of their butts that sounded imposing and dramatic. They obviously did not consider the sheer logistics behind such a population of vampire spawns. Even before releasing them, the entire premise of Cazador housing such a population in his dungeons is implausible. On top of the sheer size of that dungeon (especially if the cells where we see Sebastian are to be considered the standard), he would need a massive workforce of slaves and servants to maintain it and a constant traffic of supplies going to and from the palace.

So you need to use suspension of belief to accept that this spawn population exists in the first place, so what happens to them afterwards is simply a matter of applying more of that suspension of belief.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Anska

Totally agree. And the ones,w e've met, seemed to be pretty nice, maybe apart from the one guy with the longer hair, but he could just deal with everything happened to him the way, Astarion did in the beginning.

Doctor Who
S
old hand
old hand
S
Hey, the churches of Lathander and Kelemvor can always do with some more stuff to do.

But, on a more serious note. The number is just something Larian's writers pulled out of their butts that sounded imposing and dramatic. They obviously did not consider the sheer logistics behind such a population of vampire spawns. Even before releasing them, the entire premise of Cazador housing such a population in his dungeons is implausible. On top of the sheer size of that dungeon (especially if the cells where we see Sebastian are to be considered the standard), he would need a massive workforce of slaves and servants to maintain it and a constant traffic of supplies going to and from the palace.

So you need to use suspension of belief to accept that this spawn population exists in the first place, so what happens to them afterwards is simply a matter of applying more of that suspension of belief.
It's really one of those magic number games like Astarion's gravestone, where I can only wonder what the writers actually meant to imply. The state of their lodgings in the undercity, I generally blame on the whole structure belonging in the upper city and so being possibly largely unfinished.

addict
addict
Meh it’s 7k predatory evil undead abominations.

May they burn in the 9 hells.

addict
addict
Plus, while there some possible exceptions when following certain paths or if certain rolls are failed (eg when meeting Gandrel before Astarion’s nature is revealed), I personally didn’t find that as a good character there was ever a compelling enough justification for actually killing him, given that, for me, summary, extra-judicial execution when there is no clear and imminent requirement to prevent significant harm or loss of life is no part of being good!

I absolutely agree! Murders and executions cannot be justified by some metaphorical "good". Unless it's a good from the LG inquisitor who is ready to kill anyone if it's written in his codex (my least favorite type of alignment, I would probably kill such a companion myself if he was in the game, in every playthrough, although I don't like killing companions at all).

But while, given the choices and rolls in my good playthroughs, Astarion didn’t do anything particularly heinous, I know he can be dodgy. And while I don’t recall feeling that there were important missing opportunities to challenge Astarion specifically, I’m sure there are gaps in particular scenarios, as I’ve come across a number of instances across the game in general where I’ve not been happy with the available options for dialogue or action. Some of those probably do reflect the writers’ preconceptions of what the player might be thinking at that point, but I’ve never actually felt gaslit or as though the game wasn’t allowing me to make up my own mind about what I was seeing. And given the size and complexity of the game, I’m generally willing to headcanon a suitable response where the game doesn’t give me one, though I’ve tended to report as a bug/feedback when there’s been absolutely no way in the game to reflect a reaction that I’ve felt was significant to how the story plays out.

Astarion himself doesn't do anything wrong in the game, he may approve of some of Tav's evil actions or disapprove of good ones. Basically, all companions do not independently do anything contrary to Tav's decisions. And if we talk about the lines, then, for example, the story of "good" Jaheira about how she chained the spawn to the sidewalk and made them wait for the dawn, that is, not killed them for safety, but exactly that she made the living creature suffer, realize the approach of death and helplessness, realize that they will be executed, realize it all night long, and then - die a painful and cruel death, causes much more disgust to her character than all the "evil" lines of the evil companions. That said, Ascended Astarion disapproves if I turn Jaheira over to Sarevok, although it's a very logical action from an evil character's point of view and could be done for Astarion's own safety, since Jaheira hates him and promises to become an "annoying neighbor" in the future, and it would be wise to eliminate her in advance as a preventative measure. But Astarion is against this, there is no rational explanation for his reaction, except that he is not as evil in deed as he says he is periodically in words.

I personally was severely lacking at many points in the game in terms of opportunities for good, loving and supportive interactions with Astarion, options to challenge and harm him abound in the game. I don't need these options, and don't do so in any walkthrough, but they come across regularly, and I've watched videos of these options, and I believe the authors have given every opportunity for such roleplay. And, of course, there is no "gaslighting" in BG3, as OP wrote about, the main plot of Astarion is written perfectly, this character can be perfectly understood and felt, there are serious missed opportunities and problems specifically in romance, but about this has already been written many times in other threads. And so, this companion, in my opinion, perfectly combines with both evil and good style of passage.

I agree, so many of his reactions are brilliantly made, I can't help but admire him, and enjoy it every time. His narcissistic traits suit him very well, but at the same time he doesn't think only of himself, his attention is on Tav, he's flaunting himself in front of Tav, that's how I perceive his behavior in romance.

Yeah, I really liked the way it was done too. In the first blind playthrough I was worried about his disapproval, I was thinking not even about romance, but about how to be with him, so that the relationship would not be spoiled too much (I was afraid that he would betray or leave, in BG2 evil companions could easily do something like that), and not to do evil deeds for the sake of Astarion and his approvals, I was waiting for some personal quest to raise his approval at the expense of it. The bite scene was a revelation, I understood everything after that, my perception of the character took on a whole new color. And the sudden, just amazingly sudden invitation for a date - this has never happened in any game before! I just helped him with Gandrel, and decided to protect and defend him, not expecting any romance, thinking that maybe it won't work out, maybe I'm "not evil enough" for him, maybe I'll be without a pair in this walkthrough, and then I'll decide whether to be evil or not. smile This early seduction scene creates a nice wow effect, it's well done, not to mention the date scene itself, and when you see his scars, and how he meets the dawn the next morning. The 1st act with Astarion is great.

Originally Posted by jinetemoranco
(I removed the beginning of this sentence so hopefully this is still coherent) I don't think that's necessarily the case for the people who've seen themselves reflected in Astarion's actions. I'd venture to say that they're at a point where they've been working to change themselves for the better for a long time.

I think, reflecting my points made here previously, people are going to project onto Astarion and see his story as more metaphoric, so when they say they feel seen by his anger and his "everyone out for themselves" philosophy I'm pretty sure they don't mean his more heinous acts. There's a difference between being mean to someone and generally lashing out vs the full extent of what Astarion does in the game. Lots of people IRL will be toxic without necessarily having a personality disorder. I don't know if that's what you meant by your last sentence, but I find it especially important to emphasize I don't think anyone who has talked about seeing themselves in Astarion has harmed children, because I think that can be a slippery slope of a claim. I also think OP's claims that Astarion is a child abuser are done in bad faith, and doubt people who see themselves in Astarion do so because of his past treatment of children.
In my case I can at least pretty confidently confirm that while I do have some mental illnesses (Depression, OCD) I don't have any personality disorders. A long time ago, I was just a mean teenager who was plain mean towards other teenagers, and I regret it a lot, but I understand now why I was lashing out like that and I'm glad I eventually had a support system to unlearn those behaviors.

I want to remark that my intentions in this thread were both to answer to the claims that Astarion's selfish victim archetype and severely toxic behavior towards innocents had no possible (loose) real life parallel and precedent, and the idea stories are literal and 1:1 in what they mean vs what they're grabbing from irl.
I think the writing intent points pretty clearly towards more closely mirroring a more blatant and extreme version (as fiction often does) of everyday victims who respond to that kind of trauma by becoming worse, more selfish people that lash out at others.
Something I've seen talked about that I find important is people talking about how "going through trauma doesn't make you a better person", and Astarion is an extremely exaggerated version of that. But the trauma he has gone through is also accordingly exaggerated, because no one has gone through 200 years of torture.

I think Astarion is part of a dichotomy I've seen often in how people can react to trauma, that other part of the dichotomy being someone like Wyll or Karlach. Basically, Astarion represents the people who at at least one point have gone "I've suffered, why shouldn't anyone else?" while Wyll and Karlach go "I've suffered, so I'll try to prevent anyone else from going through that"

I wanted to say that almost all of the OP's assertions were made in bad faith, it's already been written that the OP doesn't know the plot of Astarion, and their assertions were used largely for the purpose of attacking other panelists, and I really wish other people, especially those who saw themselves in Astarion, wouldn't take it personally. Many people are indeed toxic without necessarily having a personality disorder.

Of course, a character is just that, an idea, an image, it cannot have parallels in real life. The story of Astarion's suffering is shocking initially, but now I also find it somewhat artistically exaggerated. 200 years is impossible to imagine, even in any way "close to reality". I've read about PTSD and the stories of people who survived captivity and torture, I wanted to understand Astarion better, but the amount he went through in his backstory - people go crazy, and have much more severe PTSD, having endured a much shorter period of torment, and not to the extent that is told in the game. And indeed, close relationships with someone after trauma can be difficult, they require enough wisdom and understanding from the partner, but you can't compare the game with reality, in reality every case is unique and has its own peculiarities, and the game is just an image anyway. "Going through trauma doesn't make you a better person" is an extremely stupid and unfairly insulting statement, but that's my personal opinion.

For me personally, Astarion was a kind of "healing" image, although I didn't see myself, and I didn't associate myself personally with him, but I saw him as someone I really wanted to give as much to as I could, to try to heal his injuries and his pain as much as I could, and it becomes a kind of meaning, giving meaning to my own life. He became the center of the game world, and the game took on more meaning than just running/adventure/fighting. While there isn't a full-fledged opportunity to roleplay my character as much as I'd like, and my character after Ascension is in places artificially made into a victim I can't in any way associate myself with, nevertheless the very possibility of such a romance with a character like Astarion provides a unique gaming experience that is incomparable to other games.

I was mainly thinking of the constant disapproval. Everyone is so different, I would not want to downplay anyones choices in game. I can totally see the allure with having a good Tav falling for Astarion who "corrupts" them. Honestly it was kind of my first playthrough! Although my Tav lost much of their shy, naive nature by Act 3, hehe.

I also like the option of a good Tav to whom Astarion opens her eyes to a dangerous and cruel world. My Tav goes from a fun-loving and reckless girl who was too light-hearted at first, to gradually understanding and realizing what this world is all about, through Astarion's fate and how hostile this world can be. She becomes smarter, more rational and realizes the importance of power. She will never allow this world to harm Astarion again, and transforms from a lighthearted chaotic-good character into a calculating neutral-evil, something of a dark knight and advisor to the Lord. Given that Astarion doesn't like to plan, hehe, she'll try to complement him. Two darlings - one head, I've come across that expression in English, and the vampire bride option fits perfectly with that.

Last edited by Marielle; 14/07/24 11:25 PM.

One life, one love - until the world falls down.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard