Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Originally Posted by Marielle
but you can't compare the game with reality, in reality every case is unique and has its own peculiarities, and the game is just an image anyway.
"Going through trauma doesn't make you a better person" is an extremely stupid and unfairly insulting statement, but that's my personal opinion.

I don't think it's completely unfair to compare the game to reality, because writers /do/ grab from something, but I do think it's unfair to think they're doing a 1:1 comparison, or think that fiction is so literal that if you like a morally questionable character (say, someone like Jaime Lannister) you, and perhaps their writers if they're eventually written in a better light, condone all of their actions as if they had happened IRL.

CW: More talk about the lived experience of going through trauma, and the repercussions it has

As for your last sentence, I'm a bit confused, maybe I didn't explain the sentiment behind that phrase well enough?
What this is tackling is the idea some people can have (especially if religious) that having gone through trauma has made you a stronger and better person, like it was meant to happen. And, from what I've seen (and I agree with them) a lot of survivors are staunchly against this sentiment, saying that their trauma only made their life worse and it wasn't some sort of necessary rite of passage that in any way proved them stronger or better. Hence, "trauma doesn't make you a better person".
Maybe this reddit thread talking about the same topic helps get it across? (Another serious stronger CW than the previous one for this link, folks, but I think OP's first post is more than enough to understand) https://www.reddit.com/r/CPTSD/comments/14ghe35/your_trauma_made_you_a_better_person_and_taught/

A
A
Originally Posted by jinetemoranco
I don't think it's completely unfair to compare the game to reality, because writers /do/ grab from something, but I do think it's unfair to think they're doing a 1:1 comparison, or think that fiction is so literal that if you like a morally questionable character (say, someone like Jaime Lannister) you, and perhaps their writers if they're eventually written in a better light, condone all of their actions as if they had happened IRL.

I believe the writers intentionally used language that evokes a specific type of trauma. Many forms of media address trauma, and different phrasings can evoke various emotions and memories. While I do not think Astarion's portrayal perfectly represents trauma, his dialogue was purposefully written in a specific manner.

enthusiast
enthusiast
@Zayir

CW: Discussion of abuse, trauma and its possible repercussions, especifically talking about real cases.
This has been edited to exclude more sensitive sections that were improper to discuss on a videogame forum (my bad!), so it might be a bit less coherent, but hopefully my points still stand solidly enough.

CW: Discussion of abuse, trauma and its possible repercussions, especifically talking about real cases.
I do appreciate your answer, though I was not speaking out to a specific person (and I wrote this especially above my explanation), but wanted to add some of my knowlegde to the discussion of "it's an excuse to get less jailtime" "a lot of abusers claim" etc., pointing out, that childhood abuse can be an explanation for developing personality disorder - among other things of course. I will just answer to you, but we shouldn't go on in this heavier topic as the mod suggested.

I don't know if that's what you meant by your last sentence

Eh no. In no way I was referring my last sentence to you or the people you know or have talked with (I don't know any of them!), it was meant to be a general statement for prevention. Prevention is important. And I was not referring to any „Astarion is a child abuser“, it’s odd, I really don’t think he is. He might be antisocial toward a lot of people from different ages.

There's a difference between being mean to someone and generally lashing out vs the full extent of what Astarion does in the game. Lots of people IRL will be toxic without necessarily having a personality disorder.

Yes. Being mean to other people or bullying others doesn't need to occur from a personality disorder, it can occur from personality traits or mental health issues as well. Being mean to other people or teenagers in school is an antisocial behaviour which can lead to depressions, anxiety and other mental health issues or illnesses, personality disorders etc. for the one, who got bullied, but if the "toxicity", how you called it, occur from - for example mental health issues, abuse, disorder etc. - I think it's important to provide psychological support not only to the victim but to both, the victims of the bully and the bully. It can help both.

In my case I can at least pretty confidently confirm that while I do have some mental illnesses (Depression, OCD) I don't have any personality disorders. A long time ago, I was just a mean teenager who was plain mean towards other teenagers, and I regret it a lot, but I understand now why I was lashing out like that and I'm glad I eventually had a support system to unlearn those behaviors.

It's good, that you could unlearn those behaviours, and to talk about these things with others can help, and it's good to engage in it, but others still might be not. So you said you had the support, I wish others, would get it too, and for that, I was giving the advice. Whether having a disorder or a mental illness or a personality trait or feeling insecure, etc. asking a professional could help. Also the „anger“ and the ‚everyone out for themselves‘ philosophy“ (how you called it) can be supported if the wish is there to unlearn it.
Of course, I really much understand that this "just" is a differentiation from Astarion's murderous actions, and that's just what you mean, but being mean to other teenagers (or adults), as mentioned, can lead to disorders or depressions or influence personality development in a negative way, especially (but not only) in children or adolescents. So the best thing we all could do, is to prevent or at least try..

(...) had no possible (loose) real life parallel and precedent, and the idea stories are literal and 1:1 in what they mean vs what they're grabbing from irl. (...) I don't think it's completely unfair to compare the game to reality, because writers /do/ grab from something, (...)

Yes, I see it the same, as I commented on the OP, Astarion's story and personality is very much fiction (in all paths) and cannot be 1:1 into reallife, though different things are of course related to real life.
But even if a story is meant to be 1:1 taken from real life (like taken from history, a personal story, etc.) it still will be fiction for the audience, because the audience, or in this case, the player, is right now sitting in front of their screen, it is not their real life story, they are sitting in a safe place, when they press key A or B, it is happening on the screen with pixels. At the end, it doesn’t matter in this case, how much a game looks realistic, it is and will be still fiction and unless you know a person and know, why he is doing a specific action or enjoying something, it’s not possible to say, players would enjoy the things, they are doing in a game (like killing or shooting characters, which is a very common gameplay), in their real life too. Like some people may do and some people don't.

Originally Posted by KiraMira
I was mainly thinking of the constant disapproval. Everyone is so different, I would not want to downplay anyones choices in game. I can totally see the allure with having a good Tav falling for Astarion who "corrupts" them. Honestly it was kind of my first playthrough! Although my Tav lost much of their shy, naive nature by Act 3, hehe.
Ah, haha, well. Astarion disapproves – reload, put him some metres side, Astarion disapproves – reaload, put him some metres aside. Something like that. But in the goblin camp, I could get some approval for some mysterious reasons. biggrin And there are also a lot of personal things in the camp, where it's possible to get approval from him. And yes of course, my Tav trusted Astarion and so also may did some questionable things or allowed Astarion to do so lateron.

"I would, thank God, watch the universe perish without shedding a tear."
addict
addict

That's a good statement, I agree with you. I might add that negative characters are simply often more interesting to the reader/viewer/player if they are well written. They can have an interesting and tragic story, they attract with their uniqueness and stand out from the more standard and already quite familiar and formulaic positive characters (especially for the sophisticated viewer/player). I was heavily into fantasy books as a teenager, but then I abandoned it, leaving only games and DnD, just because of the boring banal good/evil stamps, and only George Martin was able to resurrect and rekindle this love for the genre, as he moved away from the stamps and showed the characters alive and realistic. I like Jaime Lannister's image too. But the image of Joffrey Baratheon managed to make so repulsive that no one liked him, at the same time, I was once struck by the disgusting behavior of people who condemned the real actor, who very talented and simply great played this image. To confuse the actor and the image he played, just like condemning fans of a negative character, in my opinion, is a sign of limited thinking. Although the former is perhaps even worse.

CW: More talk about the lived experience of going through trauma, and the repercussions it has

As for your last sentence, I'm a bit confused, maybe I didn't explain the sentiment behind that phrase well enough?
What this is tackling is the idea some people can have (especially if religious) that having gone through trauma has made you a stronger and better person, like it was meant to happen. And, from what I've seen (and I agree with them) a lot of survivors are staunchly against this sentiment, saying that their trauma only made their life worse and it wasn't some sort of necessary rite of passage that in any way proved them stronger or better. Hence, "trauma doesn't make you a better person".
Maybe this reddit thread talking about the same topic helps get it across? (Another serious stronger CW than the previous one for this link, folks, but I think OP's first post is more than enough to understand) https://www.reddit.com/r/CPTSD/comments/14ghe35/your_trauma_made_you_a_better_person_and_taught/

Thanks for the explanation, now I understand what was meant. My opinion on this issue - I think it makes sense to separate the concept of “trauma” as something really serious, cruel, something that caused deep pain to a person, and this is very important, a person in this case really needs help, from getting “harsh life experience”, which is not a trauma, but which affected a person and, indeed, could make them stronger, smarter and in some sense “better”, i.e. contributed to the development of personality. I didn't have a “trauma” but I did have a “life experience” and I'm glad I did, so in this case it makes sense to separate the severity of a particular event in a person's life. Just like with the OCD you wrote about, there are different degrees of severity of OCD. I myself have OCD in a mild form, and it can even help in working with some sequences and algorithms, for example. I allow myself to use my sequences in everyday affairs, where following a certain order of actions can be logically justified, because you can't get rid of it completely, you can't think differently, the main thing is that it wouldn't interfere with normal life and wouldn't lead to illogical and time-consuming actions. But I really sympathize with those who have OCD in a moderate or severe form, it greatly interferes with a person's life, someone can't step on cracks in the pavement, for example, or washes their hands so many times in a row that it leads to skin trauma. Astarion, by the way, helped me with my OCD when he first gave me a good “ shock” with what I thought at the time was an abrupt change in behavior on the first playthrough. An abrupt change in behavior of a loved one without prior logical explanation is a great way to give me an “emotional critical blow”, but when I reconsidered and understood it, it gave me an important new experience, taught me to look more into the essence of things and human behavior, to understand better and feel freer in a chaotic world. Just like the kisses of patch 6 - there, of course, the emotional blow was much stronger, but it helped to uncover my own vulnerabilities and deal with them. My point is that some dose of stress and pain can be useful for personal development, if a person rethinks it, self-analyzes themselves and the situation, it helps to expand the possibilities of perception and thinking, to make stronger, just as sometimes it is useful to give yourself a challenge, doing something that is difficult or unpleasant to do. “What doesn't kill me makes me stronger” are beautiful words and my personal motto in life, but only up to some limit. After this limit, a person gets trauma, real trauma, and it is completely different. And it's important to separate the two. A person with trauma needs help. And as for what's below the level of trauma, art can help with that too, especially immersive games. In a safe environment, the player can experience some heavy emotions and deal with them. But using trauma in a story for a mass audience has to be very careful, so that in no way it provokes PTSD in an actual traumatized person who may be playing the game/watching the movie, etc.

Thank you for your bravery, and for choosing to share your experience.

P.S. Maybe we should change the name of this discussion thread? If the esteemed moderator comes in here again, I would like to make this suggestion. The current title, in my opinion, is too aggressive and undeservedly judgmental towards the game and the game's story. I think a more neutral title like: “Discussing Astarion's behavior” would be more conducive to a friendly and comfortable discussion.

Last edited by Marielle; 18/07/24 09:18 AM.

One life, one love - until the world falls down.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard