Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
V
Hello, can you help me choose a main character class? Not sure should I ask here

I have played this game before, but I find game on normal pretty challenging. I usually play bard, shadowheart, gale and astarion. Sometimes I kick astarion for lazaele, but when I can I always pick Karlach. I really want to play with Karlach, but by time I pick Karlach, I feel burned out. I prefer Karlach as companion, becuase I want to create my own character. I haven't reached ch2, but I would love to add Jaheira in my party, but not sure on that, because I don't like to deviate from my party too much. I also love to play good character, not playing dark ugre.

I'm keen on playing bard, paladin (but not keen on oathbreaker), ranger or spellcasting druid (not keen on shapshifting, I like magic). I'm also open to playing Karlach origin story.

So, what do you think I should play as Main Character? I'm asking because I felt my playthroughts as bard were too challenging and I was playing on normal.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Try Sorcerer. Gold Dwarf and Dragonblood.

The game gets easier with each playthrough.

Bard is a very strong class, IMO. If you like magic go with Lore.

I played as Karlach. Fun! Although finding not-Evul! party members for her is difficult. She is stuck with the two Human Males.

BTW - you can pick up Karlach very quickly - after the fight at the gates of Druidville simply go and recruit her, you can bypass the cultist "siblings" by taking the briddge and turning right before Blighted Village, jumping across the stream near the point where you find Scratch.

Hi. Try whichever one you prefer depending on: melee/magic/shooter or something in between all of that.
I tried doing 2 warrior/assassin/tracker, but pale elf handles it best, no matter how much I changed my hero's stats, mine threw out constant failures, elf didn't even bother much, so I gave that role to him.

Bard also played, I liked it. It works on charisma, so all the dialog through persuasion with elements of a joke.

Wizard cool spells (from the tower ramazid) at high levels.(If you do not often take Gale).

Currently trying 2 warrior/sorcerer, always underestimated Will, but now seem to have picked up this class and I like it so far.

I can recommend, whichever class you choose, to make 2 levels of warrior, to get the opportunity to get an extra move and wear, heavier ammunition. And in general, play with the combination of classes.

Good luck!

veteran
veteran
Bard [sword subclass] is the easy one but i'd drop the vamp for one of the strong girls... try using a bow if you find the game too challenging

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
addict
addict
I find the game much harder without a solid Melee member in the party. In addition a lot of the best gear and potions are meant for them so without one you are definitely handicapped.

Karlach is a lot of fun especially if you take the Everburn blade at the beginning. She has some great dialogue options, I really enjoyed her as my MC. With that sword she was a champion in Act I nothing could stand against her!

I also had a lot of fun with Vengance Paladin Dark Urge who resisted. Great story arc very powerful and I had no problem keeping my Oath (which you can buy back anytime as soon as you have 1000 GP.

Don’t forget custom settings. I always play on them now you can adjust them how you like and even change them back and forth whenever you feel like giving yourself an edge.

Jaheira is a lot of fun to add to the party once you are able. Some great dialogue especially on the Minsc quest.

old hand
old hand
If you like the bard class, by all means use it, it's great fun. In combat it's best used as a supporting unit, so you do need some tanks in the first line. You can use Lae'zel, Karlach and even Minthara all together in the party. Interchange them, depending on where you are. with cleric Shadowheart of course. I did a PT like this. Although I multiclassed my bard with a bit of ranger and one level of wizard, though in the end that was maybe not really necessary. I took ranger for the added armour proficiencies (and because it's a class which I also like a lot) and wizard because I didn't want Gale in the party but needed some AoE attacks also. Neither did I want Astarion, so the bard also did the lockpicking and trap-disarming chores which worked very well.
I had Tav-bard and Lae'zel as core party and switched the other half between Minthara (from act 2 only of course), Karlach and Shadowheart. Only employed Gale in the sorcerous sundries and Astarion in Cazador's palace, because it's their quest.

Note : I play on balanced difficulty mode.

One team example at lvl 12 :
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ldo58; 14/07/24 12:18 AM.
B
old hand
old hand
B
Multiclassing Bard with Paladin is more effective, as they bought use CHA for spells. And the Bard can use their spell slots for Smiting.

I see you got Stepped In Bliss. Intentional? I had it as a bug, as I had thrown the item away but its effect on Tav was permanent.

Last edited by Buba68; 14/07/24 06:13 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Buba68
Multiclassing Bard with Paladin is more effective, as they bought use CHA for spells. And the Bard can use their spell slots for Smiting.

I see you got Stepped In Bliss. Intentional? I had it as a bug, as I had thrown the item away but its effect on Tav was permanent.

It's an old PT, but I think that that is the buff that comes with commissioning my statue from Stoney and Boney. It's not a bug. I will purchase this again when I get there in a next PT. I think it's worth the cost.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by ldo58
Originally Posted by Buba68

It's an old PT, but I think that that is the buff that comes with commissioning my statue from Stoney and Boney. It's not a bug. I will purchase this again when I get there in a next PT. I think it's worth the cost.

On closer examination, the stoney permanent blessing buff is called "sweet stone features".
I would have to reload an old save and try to trace back where the steeped in bliss came from. Can't remember it.

Edit: It was easier to find than I thought. Lae'zel carried the resonance stone. When I sent it to camp, the steeped in bliss property disappeared. So if that effect stayed because of a bug, it looks like it's been fixed now.

Last edited by ldo58; 14/07/24 01:58 PM.
B
old hand
old hand
B
I always comission a statue of myself in the buff smile

And thanks for checking!
Nevertheless, I now never pick up that object :P

Link Copied to Clipboard