Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Originally Posted by fylimar
Originally Posted by Ussnorway
as a side note shadowheart [no spoilers] but i basically flip her subclass at a certain point for story reasons i.e, she plays as a shadow cleric then turns to a light cleric... i know lots of min max players have their "best" but i see this as more of a story change [love her hair] at that point

do others do something similar?

I level Wyll as a different class after a certain confrontation in the Shadowcursed Lands. Mostly paladin, since he is shown to be melee focused and he gives paladin vibes for me. Canonically I think he will become a ranger, so that fits too. I just for some reason see him clearly as a paladin.

Jaheira at least gets some levels in fighter, since she canonically is a fighter/ druid in the other games.

Minsc becomes a strength based character, since that is lore appropriate. And I sometimes change his class. Barbarian berserker fits him a lot. He was a berserker in the old games as a kind of ranger subclass. And he called himself that too.

I also levelled Wyll as a paladin later in my first playthrough, and agree it fits his character really well. I might go for ranger another time now I know he can end up as one, even though it doesn’t synergise as well with warlock.

And I also can’t keep Minsc’s default stats as it feels wrong he’s not a sword wielding strongman, and for the same reasons as fylimar have also multiclassed him as a berserker, and given Jaheira some fighter levels.

Shadowheart I have given levels in rogue (assassin), as with the Acolyte background she now has (unlike Urchin in EA which gave her stealth and sleight of hand proficiency) it doesn’t feel as though her skill set fits her story. I haven’t flipped her to light cleric, but that’s a good idea. Maybe next time!

I was thinking of giving her one or two levels in rogue and keep the trickery domain in one of my playthroughs. Astarion can be something else then, since he is the companion, who is the least tied to a certain class. I did give him monk levels in some playthroughs. Others make him a bard, but since bard is my favourite class: if I can't be one, no one can XD. BUt I guess, it would fit him too.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Here's another of my characters who I also mentioned in the short race appreciation thread: Sophy the halflng jack-of-all-trades.

I thought it would be fun challenge to try to get the achievement honestly, but it did take me a while to work out how to build the character in a way that made roleplay and game mechanic sense. I posted build info a while back in another thread.

On the roleplay side I ended up choosing to play her as a devotee of Oghma, with a fierce love of music, stories and nature, boundless curiosity and absolutely no staying power. She'd say "yes" to almost anything, talk to anyone, and constantly get sidetracked. Prior to getting kidnapped, she'd travelled the Sword Coast both seeking and sharing knowledge, and being more a fan of practical than book learning and sometimes venturing into dangerous situations to discover the history of an old ruin or investigate the culture of Gibberlings she had learned to defend herself.

I started her off as an Oath of the Ancients Paladin, and while getting tadpoled threw her off her stride to begin with, she soon recovered her abilities as a knowledge domain cleric, beast tamer/sanctified stalker ranger (she had a pet raven), bard and monk. I'll admit monk was a bit of a stretch (I imagined she'd learned a few moves from an old flame, whose form The Emperor plucked from her mind), but the other classes I felt reflected well the combination of skills she'd have used and developed in the background I'd concocted.

The other levels I tried to tie in to events along the way:
Level 6 - Great Old One warlock: Ever since being tadpoled, Sophy had started hearing odd whisperings in her mind and finding herself with new knowledge she couldn't explain the source of, and that only intensified after she'd inserted a second tadpole (just to see what would happen, of course).

Level 7 - Wizard: She struck up a close friendship with Gale, who taught her how he summoned the weave.

Level 8 - Fighter: Lae'zel and Sophy were very different people but shared a passionate attraction. It wasn't to last as Lae'zel soon became more serious than flibbertigibbet Sophy could cope with, but Sophy was left with some fighting moves Lae'zel had taught her as a memento of their relationship.

Level 9 - Druid: Sophy had always been a nature lover, but her experience healing Thaniel and growing friendship with Halsin gave her a deeper appreciation and connection to the land.

Level 10 - Rogue: Sophy picked up some useful skills running Shar's Gauntlet (I'm retconning in my head that I took the druid and rogue levels the other way around - I hit level 9 while in the Gauntlet of Shar and level 10 at Wyrm's Crossing, so it would have made more sense to take the rogue level while in the Gauntlet and the Druid after completely healing the shadow-cursed lands)

Level 11 - Wild Magic Sorceror: Even Sophy balked when The Emperor offered her an astral-touched tadpole, but despite trying to resist she found herself consuming it and in addition to strange new illithid powers she started to find new magic bursting out of her with peculiar effects she couldn't control.

Level 12 - Barbarian: Her transformation also increasingly affected her mood and mental balance, and in addition to the unpredictable effect on her magic she would also occasionally find herself flying into uncontrollable rages. And she started off such a cheerful, happy-go-lucky soul!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Oh, and I've moved this thread from "General" to "Story & Character Discussion". After moving it to “Build”. It feels sort of between categories, but hope it has a good home now.

Last edited by The Red Queen; 25/08/24 12:26 PM. Reason: Moved thread again

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Just one more:

Jhalvin Melarn is a character I played in EA but haven't done a full run with yet.

He is a Lolth-sworn beast master ranger (with pet spiders of course), and before being kidnapped he was a member of the Dread Fangs of Halisstra, an elite group of warriors who protect the priestesses of House Melarn in Menzoberranzan. (Unlike some forum members who have in-depth knowledge of the Forgotten Realms, my knowledge comes from a few computer games including the BG series and reading the odd novel and comic, so I find the Forgotten Realms wiki really useful in helping me develop characters with connection to the lore.)

Jhalvin was loyal to his house and Lolth in the recent civil war in Menzoberranzan, but is, to put it mildly, somewhat conflicted and has a deep yet unacknowledged hatred of Lolth, her priestesses, and probably women in general, bubbling just under the surface. There's also a messed up backstory with a lover he's never got over who was turned into a drider.

The part of his job that Jhalvin most relishes is hunting down and killing apostate priestesses, and he and a group of his fellows had been tasked by his matron mother to investigate a number of desertions and rumours of a new goddess called the Absolute who was stealing Lolth's faithful. They were following a lead that took them to the surface and were getting close when they found themselves ambushed and next thing he knew Jhalvin was having a mindflayer parasite inserted into his eye.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Liya Tana, wood half elf lore bard/feylock (chain)

She is a pen & paper character, I'm playing currently in a campaign. SHe was made in the Greyhawk setting and grew up in Saltmarsh. Her mother, a human, and her father, an elven ranger, hooked up for a short while, but didn't stay togetehr. They are still friends though. Liya moved with her mother in a bigger city, where her motehr married a noble. Liya lived with them until she was of age and studied at the bard college there. She still has contact with her real father too and is currently in Saltmarsh again (where our adventure takes place).
As a character, she knows etiquette, because she grew up in a noble household, but she prefers the honest wilderness out there with her father and his fellow rangers. I gave her some nature themed spells from the bard list, like Speak with Animals. She also is pretty sarcastic sometimes and for a bard more on the introvert side. She loves making music and she can be charming, she just doesn't always like it.

For BG I moved her to live and study in BG. She was taken by the Nautiloid one eveing after a successful musical perfomance at the birthday of Lady Jannath.

I use one of the ingame pics for the token in our ttrpg.

And you might wonder, why fyli, the advocat for small races, plays a half elf? We had so many small race characters in our group, that I decided to play a half elf for once. And against all odds, I really liked Liya (I have nothing against elves and half elves btw, I played them before, I just feel the need to advocate for teh small races in BG3, becaue ttrpgler know already, how awesome they are)

Last edited by fylimar; 25/08/24 08:27 PM.

Doctor Who
H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Here is my current Honour mode character: The Lolth Durge

It took me a full year, from 8/23 to 8/24, to complete my first playthrough. It was on Tactician, started 3+ months prior to the release of the Honour mode. Now, I'm playing again on the Honour mode, with the character shown here.

I intended to make this character a tall, big, magic-using version of Karlach. I initially planned to play as Karlach but gave up due to a bug that took 6+ months for me to see fixed.

PS - some details

My ultimate goal is simply this: experience every aspect of the game with the same character, and survive the entire game no matter what I do. I achieved my goal with my last Gnome Durge, though it was on Tactician, a bit unsatisfying. I reloaded probably twice: one was to alter the twisted fate of my favorite bard (I was appalled to see that fate unfolding before my eyes - had to rewrite it), the other was due to the boss-level duel being too easy (i was a bit scared, but it was over in 1 round, so had to reload from an earlier save to avoid going this easy route, such that I could enjoy a big fight).

On the survival side, my Gnome Durge only died 3 times: a) killed by Nettie's 2nd summon and then beaten to death by Nettie, 2) ambushed while scouting ahead of my party solo, put to sleep twice by the Underdark beholder, beaten to death by his Drow party, no chance to fight due to the sleep magic, 3) tired of disarming traps and decided to run over the final tripwire, got instantly killed - not just downed! All the three times, the rest of my party were intact and could bring me back. Which implies, my 3 companions (while my Durge was lying dead and cold in the Underdark) killed the Spectator and the Drow party in order to reach her.

More on the survival side: Except under unusual circumstances, in Act 1, I stopped using potions; in Act 2, I stopped using consumables - not just potions; in Act 3, I stopped leveling up. Eventually, in the final battles, I stopped healing as well, effectively making Shadowheart (level 11 Trickery Cleric) out of job - her level 1-6 spell slots were almost intact at the time all the final battles were over. In particular, this Gnome Durge party cleared the Upper City Sewer without anyone on my side taking a single hit. As a result, all 4 of my party members did not even lose their temporary hit points.

In the end, I finished the game at level 11 (not level 12).

I'm doing the essentially same type of playthrough, except on Honour mode this time, instead of Tactician last time. Gnome is technically great, but too short in many cutscenes. So, this time, must be big and tall. I'm now playing a Cleric of Lolth - quite unique in that only one race in this game can select Lolth as their deity - while primarily a Sorceress in combat.

Last edited by Henry NYC; 31/08/24 07:37 AM.
T
T
Question for those who've played as Dark Urge: how much is the character's backstory pre-defined, and how much scope is there to define my own head-canon? The character I'm currently thinking of is a Lawful Evil sorcerer who considers himself superior to other people due to his sorcery and wealth; and was trying to buy or force his way into the Upper City (or any other part of high society). Perhaps being denied the access he thought he deserved awoke the Bhalliness. I'm not explicitly planning either an embrace or resist run, but a character who will use others to get what he wants, and otherwise I just want to see what happens in the durge plot.

So, since I've heard that there is more of a backstory to the durge character than Tav, is that story going to conflict with my idea and I should just start as a blank slate and see what the game tells me? Or can I still have my own backstory? TBH it'll probably be a while before I can play this one because I'm thinking of using the Clockwork Soul subclass, but the mod (strictly speaking one of the library mods it uses) is incompatible with patch 7.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Trantion
Question for those who've played as Dark Urge: how much is the character's backstory pre-defined, and how much scope is there to define my own head-canon? The character I'm currently thinking of is a Lawful Evil sorcerer who considers himself superior to other people due to his sorcery and wealth; and was trying to buy or force his way into the Upper City (or any other part of high society). Perhaps being denied the access he thought he deserved awoke the Bhalliness. I'm not explicitly planning either an embrace or resist run, but a character who will use others to get what he wants, and otherwise I just want to see what happens in the durge plot.

So, since I've heard that there is more of a backstory to the durge character than Tav, is that story going to conflict with my idea and I should just start as a blank slate and see what the game tells me? Or can I still have my own backstory? TBH it'll probably be a while before I can play this one because I'm thinking of using the Clockwork Soul subclass, but the mod (strictly speaking one of the library mods it uses) is incompatible with patch 7.

Durge's memory is fuzzy, mostly wiped out. You could imagine a backstory from small slivers of memory (false or real) but it will change as you get to recall things.
You will discover you had a history with Gortash and Orin which may invalidate the image you built up from your failing memory.

Last edited by ldo58; Yesterday at 05:13 PM.
veteran
veteran

I think this is ok. As Ido said, you have ties to both
Gortash and Orin. But there is nothing speaking against your character wanting to climb the social ladder and using Bhaal and Gortash for it

Doctor Who
T
T
Cool, thanks. I'm going to keep the backstory fairly vague, but I'd like a bit of context for why he's being evil this time. Even if the Bhall blood is basically enough reason anyway. And it's a slight modification to the LE Tav I was planning for a second game to contrast my previous CG Tav; before people here persuaded me that Durge isn't totally murderhobo and I should play it hehe

Last edited by Trantion; Yesterday at 07:06 PM.
veteran
veteran
Cool, thanks. I'm going to keep the backstory fairly vague, but I'd like a bit of context for why he's being evil this time. Even if the Bhall blood is basically enough reason anyway. And it's a slight modification to the LE Tav I was planning for a second game to contrast my previous CG Tav; before people here persuaded me that Durge isn't totally murderhobo and I should play it hehe

If you don't have played Durge yet, I don't want to spoil too much, but it is save to say, that they are in a bit similar situation like Astarion after the tadpoling. So anything goes basically. And I like your reasoning for your 'durging' back then, it doesn't have to be mindless murderhoboing, though Bhaal is sadly as subtle as a baseball bat, doesn't mean, his followers and spawns have to be as the first two games showed us.

Doctor Who
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard