Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#945268 17/07/24 02:31 PM
JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The new update mentions the inclusion of a certain bard that can be controlled in the party, temporarily. This is brought up in the Dark Urge section of the update.

Obviously, it's probably referring to Alfira.

But how is that going to work, I wonder?

Just control her for that evening before going to bed?
Can't control her as a non-Durge playthrough?

Or is there an opportunity to recruit her before the fated scene? Like when you first meet her, so she can help with the harpies, for instance?

Is it possible it's referring to another bard? Helia? Quil?

JandK #945297 17/07/24 05:12 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Volo?

JandK #945298 17/07/24 05:34 PM
veteran
veteran
I don't think, we will see Helia, that ship has sailed. And Volo is a wizard (he is basically Rincewind in Faerun).

Maybe we can recruit Alfira for a while before that scene happens. Or Quill, but she normally just shows up that evening.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
JandK #945338 18/07/24 06:36 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Oh, Volo is a wizard? In that case yeah, must be Alfira.

Buba68 #945339 18/07/24 06:39 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Buba68
Oh, Volo is a wizard? In that case yeah, must be Alfira.

Yes, he is a wizard with a similar role than Rincewind has in Discworld. He comes across as very bardy though. I thought him a bard, when I first encountered him back in the days too.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
JandK #945340 18/07/24 06:46 AM
veteran
veteran
he is actually a scholar but that class doesn't exist in current D&D rules

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
JandK #945341 18/07/24 07:11 AM
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Volo's class is a mess, I was also shocked to find out he wasn't a bard. BG3 certainly tried to depict him as one.

About Alfira: I think it's pretty obvious the Patch 7 teaser is talking about being able to have her momentarily join you before she um, moves to a nice farm upstate, because she joins you after you've clicked the Long Rest button, I'm pretty sure. So you can't really do anything with her in terms of real combat. It's just there as a gag, perhaps to trick new players into thinking she's really joined you so there's more impact to... her slipping on a banana peel.

I'm about 99% confident that's the extent of it. Nothing for non-durges. Wonder if they've recorded voicelines for her spells, or if you can re-spec her with Withers and such.
It probably also applies to the Dragonborn bard lady, but to the same very limited extent.

JandK #945343 18/07/24 07:36 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
The new update mentions the inclusion of a certain bard that can be controlled in the party, temporarily. This is brought up in the Dark Urge section of the update.

Obviously, it's probably referring to Alfira.

But how is that going to work, I wonder?
Temporary does seem to hint at Alfira - and I assume it can happen on Durge playthrough only (as her fate is not set in stone in other origins). A lot of folks wanted her as a companion, so I suppose it is an extra cruel way of fulfilling that request, and making subsequent events more impactful.

If that’s what’s happening, I think it should be a great change. I found her sudden appearance and disappearance from camp to be rather contrived. Her joining the group for a bit, should make it feel more impactful and natural, especially if she joins the group right there at the grove.

Originally Posted by Wormerine
Temporary does seem to hint at Alfira - and I assume it can happen on Durge playthrough only (as her fate is not set in stone in other origins). A lot of folks wanted her as a companion, so I suppose it is an extra cruel way of fulfilling that request, and making subsequent events more impactful.

If that’s what’s happening, I think it should be a great change. I found her sudden appearance and disappearance from camp to be rather contrived. Her joining the group for a bit, should make it feel more impactful and natural, especially if she joins the group right there at the grove.

I'm pretty sure it's Alfira. Damn, wish I wasn't spoiled on the DUrge story now. It would indeed be very impactful storywise. The shock will probably be double. I remember it being very shocking, wondering if it was real or a dream.

Last edited by KiraMira; 18/07/24 08:43 AM.
A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted by jinetemoranco
I'm about 99% confident that's the extent of it. Nothing for non-durges. Wonder if they've recorded voicelines for her spells, or if you can re-spec her with Withers and such.
It probably also applies to the Dragonborn bard lady, but to the same very limited extent.

Maybe she gets a special musical number for the occasion. That would be cute.

JandK #945348 18/07/24 08:50 AM
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Possible workaround?

You kill her in camp (if attacking her would cause her to turn hostile you can for example create a surface and make her walk in it). Once dead you give her soul to Withers to look after so durge can't interact with her, then long rest and resurrect her the next morning and she will be a permanent party member (without any banter, reactions or story, so pretty much the same as a hireling, but, it's Alfira).

JandK #945879 27/07/24 08:39 PM
T
T
I haven't even done a durge playthrough yet and I know what happens to Alfira.
Now, if it gets added to a non-durge playthrough, I would so go back as my last character. Alfira and my Tav bard were such good friends by the end of the game hehe

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard