Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Salo Offline OP
Community Manager
OP Offline
Community Manager
Hello!

Dice are once again rolling, and the Patch 7 Closed Beta has gone live on Steam!

If you’re one of the randomly selected players to take part, you should now have an entry in your Steam Library called Baldur’s Gate 3 Playtest (with Gale’s handsome face staring at you).
If you haven’t, don’t worry! We will continue to add players throughout the Closed Beta, so keep an eye on your Steam Library.

Spoilers
As not everyone will have the opportunity to participate in the Closed Beta, we would appreciate it if you could keep any spoilers about the new evil ending cinematics to a minimum, so players can enjoy these themselves once Patch 7 releases in September!

I have set up this thread for discussion of Patch 7 content and the Evil Endings. You are free to start your own threads but please make it clear on the title that they are about Patch 7 and spoiler text when necessary.

You can also find a Feedback thread on this link: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=945766&#Post945766

Thank you all!

[As stated above, please expect Patch 7 spoilers underneath this post]

Last edited by Salo; 25/07/24 03:18 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
If I may receive a simple yes or no response from anyone in the know, does the Emperor have any new content in the upcoming patch?
The ending scenario where you persuade him to dominate the Netherbrain himself is ripe for expanding in an update that adds evil endings, no?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Mindwitness
If I may receive a simple yes or no response from anyone in the know, does the Emperor have any new content in the upcoming patch?
The ending scenario where you persuade him to dominate the Netherbrain himself is ripe for expanding in an update that adds evil endings, no?

Just in case you havent seen it the emperor indeed has his own absolute ending and I kind of like the 4th wall break , a lot of the endings have escaped on to the interwebs including Ascended Astarion Origin and my gosh do I want to chat about them , but currently the forums are silent frown and for good reason they shouldn't of escaped the Beta testing yet

Last edited by Ghostsecurity29; 23/08/24 04:38 PM.
veteran
veteran
My overall reaction & feedback after seeing all the extended evil cutscene(s) for Dark Urge and Tav;

Naturally after the original lackluster 2 minute end-cutscene (where our main character merely sits on the throne before the game fades-to-black) it feels great to now have an extended 6 minute end-cutscene where they actually do something before it fades-to-black. The bar was already set so abysmally low that literally anything will look great compared to that, so sure it's nice to have it extended by 6 more minutes (which should've been in-game since launch, not a year later).

However these extended end-cutscenes for the evil playthrough are merely the equivalent of the good playthrough's end-cutscenes at the dock during launch ("yay the Absolute is dead, nice job everybody... GG, ROLL CREDITS!"). They were not satisfying conclusions for the good story back then and they certainly are not satisfying conclusions for the evil story today regardless of how visually impressive they are.

Where's our evil epilogue? Where's our actual evil aftermath? Where's our satisfying ending where we get to see what our power accomplishes on a grander scale? Where is our evil post-credit scene with the Dead Three taunting Withers instead?

(❗SPOILERS❗- About the unsatisfying conclusion of the story due to lack of evil epilogues)

To properly conclude a story it's not enough to merely extend the original evil cliffhanger cutscene by 6 more minutes; of which 5 minutes are copy-pasted for each character with slight variations and then the last 60 seconds is a choice on how to doom the world through a random group of Baldur's Gate nobodies before the game fades to black. No evil epilogue, no tiny bit of active conquest, not even a tiny showcase how our actions affect the world on a grander scale a few months later. We're shown an action, but not its reaction. We're shown the cause, but not the effect. We're shown a choice, but not the consequence.

The real interest doesn't lie in seeing our main character with absolute power victimize some helplessly terrified-to-death Baldur's Gate nobodies who were already crippled the instant a giant brain burst out of the ground, it's the most childish Disney villain display of power imaginable. Sure it's cinematically an absolute epic display of power, but... it's like giving Sauron from Lord Of The Rings the One Ring and him merely tormenting some starved peasants in some backwater village before the movie fades to black.

The real interest lies in seeing what actually happens next, seeing the grander ambitions come to fruition, what they ultimately achieve with all that power. Where's our satisfying epilogue aftermath where we get to see what we ultimately accomplish with all this power on a grander scale with Minthara or Astarion by our side?

For example as potential character epilogue ambitions:

• Where is the Emperor establishing a safe and thriving Illithid Empire with all races in absolute unity, our main character at his side as his non-illithid Empress (if romanced) and fully-illithid companions as advisors?
  • Where is evil Karlach burning across Avernus with her legions and becoming the demonic Archduchess of the Hells as she is about to b****-slap Zariel into another franchise?
  • Where is evil Gale transcending into a celestial tempest with the Crown Of Karsus after conquering the heavens?
  • Where is Ascended Astarion sitting on his sanguine throne with Minthara as his vampire bride in a world of darkness and all companions lined up as dried up vessels of blood waiting to be further fed upon by them two?
  • Where is evil Lae'zel dethroning Vlaakith, subjugating the Astral Plane and becoming the Lich Queen of entire existence herself?
  • Where is evil Shadowheart raising her unholy church and becoming the Lady Of Twilight after being torn between two lunar goddesses for so long?
  • Where is evil Dark Urge perishing together with Minthara/Astarion in a passionate embrace at the end of all creation?

Because an extended ambiguous cliffhanger cutscene against peons ain't how one wraps up an evil RPG story the player invests so much time into, especially for an already unsatisfactory content-deprived evil journey in which every evil choice ends up being a childishly written murder-hobo killing off content left and right, on-screen or off-screen.

This exact mistake with unsatisfying ambiguous cliffhangers already happened at release and got corrected for the good playthroughs with Update #5 (30th of November 2023) by introducing an epilogue to properly conclude our journey, our stories, our relationships. Yet as usual the evil playthrough gets shafted once again, expecting a merely extended ambiguous cliffhanger to be a satisfactory conclusion to its story when they weren't satisfactory even for the significantly-more-developed good playthrough until the epilogue arrived.

(❗HEAVY SPOILERS & CRITICISM❗- About the butchering of Dark Urge's character and ruining Minthara's/Astarion's romances)

Also as a huge fan of Dark Urge and Minthara; words cannot express the COLOSSAL DISAPPOINTMENT on how this extended cutscene singlehandedly butchered Dark Urge's character, completely disregarded player agency, ignored established character motives, and ultimately ruined the only thing people truly wanted with their dearest Minthara/Astarion for the ending of the game, despite knowing they'll have to eventually die.

To think that after putting in so much time and effort (and putting up with so much killed-off content) to ensure Minthara is our chosen love interest with whom we're going to butcher the world together, the player gets slapped in the face with Dark Urge immediately getting rid of her 5 seconds into the extended ending because you wanna save budget! Completely disregarding player agency and dismissing previously established character motives.

To get to this point we had to;

• Cause the deaths of over 60 NPCs and several companions in ACT I
  • Resist the Urge to break Minthara's neck during her ACT I sex scene
  • Ensure she survives the next morning by deceiving her about who we truly are
  • Ensure Minthara survives the entirety of ACT II
  • Cause the deaths of all Last Light Inn NPCs by making Shadowheart a Dark Justiciar
  • Invest a significant amount of time into her character to establish a relationship
  • Suffer through a terribly content-deprived ACT III because nobody from the previous ACTS is in it
  • Butcher even more NPCs to satisfy the Tribunal and become Bhaal's Assassin
  • Get betrayed by Jaheira and Minsc for becoming Bhaal's Chosen
  • And finally bring her to the very end of the game before the Absolute

What the player truly wants after doing all this is to just butcher the entire world with her by our side, our Queen of Crimson. To see the Daughter of Lolth and the Child of Bhaal united, drowning the world together in blood. And despite knowing she'll eventually have to die alongside him, to have the passionate final killing kiss be the last act of kindness she receives from Dark Urge once the world was dead... NOT for it to be the immediate FIRST thing he does as some sort of sexual kink of his that makes him look like an uncontrollable psychopathic smirking imbecile with a crippling addiction that only gets off on murdering his lover who willingly wishes to be with him!

We wanted to do this together with her because the player establishes these character motivations during the endgame;

[Linked Image from bg3.wiki]

• "No. If this is to be our end, we will die together!" - Minthara minutes prior to confronting the Elder Brain
  • "Now that you have your father's dark blessing, you are the master of your dark urges, and together we can win this fight, and become as gods ourselves." - Minthara's dialogue at camp once Orin is dead

• Dark Urge - "When I bring ruin to the world, will Bhaal allow me to spare my beloved?"
  • Sceleritas Fel - "Of course, Master! We will always need to sire more Bhaalspawn! It appears that may be already underway. The drow is a fecund choice of mate. Well done!"

This is what the epilogue for Dark Urge and Minthara should have been. Them together at the end of all creation as the crimson eclipse covers the world, with one final conversation between them before Dark Urge's final killing kiss ultimately slits her throat while she's eternally embraced in his arms and then his own to cover them both in a comforting crimson cloak as they perish together.

[Linked Image from clan.cloudflare.steamstatic.com]

But no... screw the previously established character motives, just get rid of her immediately instead so no further budget has to be wasted on her. And while we're at it lets turn Dark Urge into discount Orin and also forget to include Sceleritas Fel into the ending (yes you forgot the Butler). The Narrator even mentions during the ending cutscene; "You shall soon amass an illithid army to bring slaughter across Faerun...", but then he goes on to also murder every companion, civilian and his very own illithid army in Baldur's Gate. Not even Disney writes such extremely corny imbecilic villains that contradict previously established player and narrator motives.

He can literally murder Minthara at any point during his conquest as she willingly stays at his side, including the companions who are powerful individuals enslaved to do his bidding... what is the point of butchering them all immediately when he could've used them to fulfill his grand plan... what is the point of saving our love interest from our Urges in ACT I, in ACT II and mastering them in ACT III if Dark Urge will just go ape mode on everyone anyway at the end...

Did you honestly think a Chosen Dark Urge player who spent 150 hours getting to the end with Minthara/Astarion will be satisfied seeing their time and effort disrespected like this by ignoring their entire journey up until that point with an instant death of their love interest...

Give the players what they truly want, a 4th proper endgame choice where Dark Urge and their love interest remain together to butcher the world (and don't forget the Butler).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As someone who became a mega fan of yours by blindly buying into BG3's Early Access due to your true artistic passion and immediately afterwards bought DOS2 and DOS1 as well because I wanted even more of your passion (all 3 becoming one of my favorite games ever); it is absolutely saddening to see how drastically your evil stories have degraded (both in writing and care) since Divinity Original Sin II, which as a kickstarter game with a far lesser budget had a satisfying evil story with fully developed endings that offered equal epilogue content and throughout the story had interesting evil choices with interesting outcomes spanning throughout all acts and especially the epilogue.

With characters like Lady Vengeance, Windego and the God-King, Voidwoken and Fane, Saheila and Sebille, Sadha and The Red Prince, Adramahlihk and Lohse. Even entire locations such as Fort Joy, Reaper's Coast, Arx and the entire world. We went from DOS2's long-spanning evil choices resulting in fates far worse than death with an epilogue showing just how miserable everyone and the entire world is, to BG3 comically mimicking Doctor Evil from Austin Powers every chance it gets with its evil choices immediately killing off any evil branching story in its infancy to preserve budget;

You die! He dies! They die! EVIL!
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

To properly conclude the evil story with proper epilogues you should've been drawing inspiration from the amazingly portrayed Vlaakith's throne room ending scene for Ascended Lae'zel or Cursed Dark Urge's epilogue ending, which splendidly shows just how evil truly ruins people and eternally condemns them to fates worse than death. And from that inspiration came up with an equally eerily, dark and messed up epilogue to properly conclude an evil playthrough by showing the miserable state of the world with our companions instead suffering dreadful fates worse than death as they're ruled by our main character who became a God (just like Divinity Original Sin 2 had its epilogue showing a dead miserable world and our companions if one sided with the God-King). Because when the evil journey is already the most unsatisfactory content-deprived experience where any potentially branching story immediately gets killed off in its infancy, at the very least ensure the ending is so fascinatingly well concluded to make all that waste of time and effort worth it.

This also could've been a chance to bring Gortash back; to have an actual ending with him, to surprise your audience who are investing their time into a significantly underdeveloped evil playthrough. "Hey remember Gortash, that amazing character voiced by Jason Isaacs? Yeah he now has an actual ending and Bane shows up in it. GO WILD GUYS!". But no... as always just frantically kill off everyone tied to the evil journey the instant they start to display any interesting branching story on the evil path. You had Gortash as a villain right till the very end and chose to kill him off. What a waste.

Was hoping for an actual quality conclusion to the evil story that respects player agency (like the good playthrough does with its revisions, an epilogue and a post-credit scene) and had these extended cutscenes been merely a part of more upcoming content updates to ensure the evil playthrough is brought up to par with the good playthrough then I would not be so critical. But intentionally ignoring the evil playthrough since Early Access and then years later merely extending its lackluster cliffhanger cutscene in such a poorly rushed way as the final content update... sorry.

Far too little and way too late.

[Linked Image from y.yarn.co]

These extended evil cutscenes as they stand are ultimately the final nail in a coffin that shows just how uncared-for and poorly thought-out the evil journey in BG3 is from start to finish where every potentially branching evil story is immediately killed off in its infancy in order to save budget, cutting off all its branches at every corner before they even had a chance to grow. I won't even bother amusing the idea that taking control of the Absolute could have been used for good. To rebuild or create a better world by getting rid of evils such as Vlaakith, Zariel or Lolth, something that Minthara implies with her own good ambitions on the good path. An actual pragmatic would use the Netherbrain as a tool to help or improve reality and we could have been the next Gortash.

And so at the journey's end the only thing I can truly praise is the visual quality and cinematography of these extended cutscenes as they've accomplished visual badassery of epic proportions with their unique outcomes, was incredibly impressed with them. Truly well done. It's just a shame it's nothing more than fancy cliffhanger eye candy to quickly wrap things up in the most uncaring way, which ironically completely killed my interest for a Patch 7 evil playthrough when it should've done the complete opposite.

I'd rather have a well written evil story with no cutscenes (like DOS2), than epic cutscenes with a poorly written evil story (like BG3). At least with the original cliffhanger I was able to headcanon a satisfying proper ending for my Dark Urge and Minthara.

I bow to you, that couldn't have been written better. You describe it really well. I've seen pretty much all possible endings and after a few conversations here, I'm very disappointed.
I love my Dark Urge and I'm almost always moderately evil to totally evil. I will never see the Bhaal endings as I will never kill AA or Minthy. I would have only wished for a single Bhaal ending in which our loved ones will survive. Something like, when you become the Absolute you betray Bhaal because you are now powerful enough to do this, you turn to AA/Minthy with an evil smile and say "In OUR name", something that is requested by virtually all followers of AA/Minthi ... insert a kiss, levitate hand in hand from the brain, ... insert any evil scenario... At the end of days they die in an inner embrace as was prophesied. End. And you're right, they forgot about Sceleritas, I didn't even notice. cry
I think the emotional bond we have with your companions after all this time is completely underestimated.

Last edited by Sini; 28/08/24 01:06 AM.

"Now, was that civilized? No, clearly not. Fun, but in no sense civilized" ~ Braingremlin
veteran
veteran
It is a very weird idea to analyze endings in a vacuum. Endings are a climatic moment for the whole campaign and it just feels wrong to separate them and butcher them in a wall of text based on your specific vision for an ideal ending. I've not seen the endings myself for this exact reason, so maybe you are even right. But I'll refrain from giving feedback until I actually experience them, which would definitely be done through playing a proper campaign, in game.

Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
My overall reaction & feedback after seeing all the extended evil cutscene(s) for Dark Urge and Tav;

Naturally after the original lackluster 2 minute end-cutscene (where our main character merely sits on the throne before the game fades-to-black) it feels great to now have an extended 6 minute end-cutscene where they actually do something before it fades-to-black. The bar was already set so abysmally low that literally anything will look great compared to that, so sure it's nice to have it extended by 6 more minutes (which should've been in-game since launch, not a year later).

However these extended end-cutscenes for the evil playthrough are merely the equivalent of the good playthrough's end-cutscenes at the dock during launch ("Yay the Absolute is dead, nice job everybody... GG, ROLL CREDITS!"). They were not satisfying conclusions for the good story back then and they certainly are not satisfying conclusions for the evil story today regardless of how visually impressive they are.

Where's our evil epilogue? Where's our actual evil aftermath? Where's our satisfying ending where we get to see what our power accomplishes on a grander scale? Where is our evil post-credit scene with the Dead Three taunting Withers instead?

(❗SPOILERS❗- About the unsatisfying conclusion of the story due to lack of evil epilogues)

To properly conclude a story it's not enough to merely extend the current evil cliffhanger cutscene by 6 more minutes; of which 5 minutes are copy-pasted for each character with slight variations and then the last 60 seconds is a choice on how to doom the world through a random group of Baldur's Gate nobodies before the game fades to black. No evil epilogue, no tiny bit of active conquest, not even a tiny showcase how our actions affect the world on a grander scale a few months later. We're shown an action, but not its reaction. We're shown the cause, but not the effect. We're shown a choice, but not the consequence.

The real interest doesn't lie in seeing our main character with absolute power victimize some helplessly terrified-to-death Baldur's Gate nobodies who were already crippled the instant a giant brain burst out of the ground, it's the most childish Disney villain display of power imaginable. Sure it's cinematically an absolute epic display of power, but... it's like giving Sauron from Lord Of The Rings the One Ring and him merely tormenting some starved peasants in some backwater village before the movie fades to black.

The real interest lies in seeing what actually happens next, seeing the grander ambitions come to fruition, what they ultimately achieve with all that power. Where's our satisfying epilogue aftermath where we get to see what we ultimately accomplish with all this power on a grander scale with Minthara or Astarion by our side?

For example as potential character epilogue ambitions:

• Where is the Emperor fulfilling the Grand Design and creating a thriving illithid empire, showing our main character as his Empress and companions as fully-evolved satisfied illithids thriving in his court as advisors?
  • Where is evil Karlach burning across Avernus with her legions and becoming the demonic Archduchess of the Hells as she is about to b****-slap Zariel into another franchise?
  • Where is evil Gale transcending into a celestial tempest with the Crown Of Karsus after conquering the heavens?
  • Where is Ascended Astarion sitting on his sanguine throne with Minthara as his vampire bride in a world of darkness and all companions lined up as dried up vessels of blood waiting to be further fed upon by them two?
  • Where is evil Lae'zel dethroning Vlaakith, subjugating the Astral Plane and becoming the Lich Queen of entire existence herself?
  • Where is evil Shadowheart raising her unholy church and becoming the Lady Of Twilight after being torn between two lunar goddesses for so long?
  • Where is evil Dark Urge perishing together with Minthara/Astarion in a passionate embrace at the end of all creation?

Because an extended ambiguous cliffhanger cutscene against peons ain't how one wraps up an evil RPG story the player invests so much time into, especially for an already unsatisfactory content-deprived evil journey in which every evil choice ends up being a childishly written murder-hobo killing off content left and right, on-screen or off-screen.

This exact mistake with unsatisfying ambiguous cliffhangers already happened at release and got corrected for the good playthroughs with Update #5 (30th of November 2023) by introducing an epilogue to properly conclude our journey, our stories, our relationships. Yet as usual the evil playthrough gets shafted once again, expecting a merely extended ambiguous cliffhanger to be a satisfactory conclusion to its story when they weren't satisfactory even for the significantly-more-developed good playthrough until the epilogue arrived.

(❗HEAVY SPOILERS & CRITICISM❗- About the butchering of Dark Urge's character and ruining Minthara's/Astarion's romances)

Also as a huge fan of Dark Urge and Minthara; words cannot express the COLOSSAL DISAPPOINTMENT on how this extended cutscene singlehandedly butchered Dark Urge's character, completely disregarded player agency, ignored established character motives, and ultimately ruined the only thing people truly wanted with their dearest Minthara/Astarion for the ending of the game, despite knowing they'll both have to eventually die.

To think that after putting in so much time and effort (and putting up with so much killed-off content) to ensure Minthara is our chosen love interest with whom we're going to butcher the world together, the player gets mega slapped in the face by Dark Urge immediately getting rid of her 5 seconds into the extended ending because you wanna save budget! Completely ignoring player agency and previously established character motives.

To get to this point we had to;

• Cause the deaths of over 60 NPCs and several companions in ACT I
  • Resist the Urge to break Minthara's neck during her ACT I sex scene
  • Ensure she survives the next morning by deceiving her about who we truly are
  • Ensure Minthara survives the entirety of ACT II
  • Cause the deaths of all Last Light Inn NPCs by making Shadowheart a Dark Justiciar
  • Invest a significant amount of time into her character to establish a relationship
  • Suffer through a terribly content-deprived ACT III because nobody from the previous ACTS is in it
  • Butcher even more NPCs to satisfy the Tribunal and become Bhaal's Assassin
  • Get betrayed by Jaheira and Minsc for becoming Bhaal's Chosen
  • And finally bring her to the very end of the game before the Absolute

What the player truly wants after doing all this is to butcher the entire world with her by our side, our Queen of Crimson. To see the Daughter of Lolth and the Child of Bhaal united, drowning the world together in blood. And despite knowing she'll eventually have to die alongside him, to have the passionate final killing kiss be the last act of kindness she receives from Dark Urge once the world was dead... NOT for it to be the immediate FIRST thing he does as some sort of sexual kink of his that makes him look like an uncontrollable psychopathic smirking imbecile with a crippling addiction that only gets off on murdering his lover who willingly wishes to be with him!

We wanted to do this together with her because the player establishes these character motivations during the endgame;

• "No. If this is to be our end, we will die together!" - Minthara minutes prior to confronting the Elder Brain
  • "Now that you have your father's dark blessing, you are the master of your dark urges, and together we can win this fight, and become as gods ourselves." - Minthara's dialogue at camp once Orin is dead

• Dark Urge - "When I bring ruin to the world, will Bhaal allow me to spare my beloved?"
  • Sceleritas Fel - "Of course, Master! We will always need to sire more Bhaalspawn! It appears that may be already underway. The drow is a fecund choice of mate. Well done!"

This is what the epilogue for Dark Urge and Minthara should have been. Them together at the end of all creation as the crimson eclipse covers the world, with one final conversation between them before Dark Urge's final killing kiss ultimately slits her throat while she's eternally embraced in his arms and then his own to cover them both in a comforting crimson cloak as they perish together.

[Linked Image from clan.cloudflare.steamstatic.com]

But no... screw the previously established character motives, just get rid of her immediately instead so no further budget has to be wasted on her. And while we're at it lets turn Dark Urge into discount Orin and also forget to include Sceleritas Fel into the ending (yes you forgot the Butler). The Narrator even mentions during the ending cutscene; "You shall soon amass an illithid army to bring slaughter across Faerun...", but then he goes on to also murder every companion, civilian and his very own illithid army in Baldur's Gate. Not even Disney writes such extremely corny imbecilic villains that contradict previously established player and narrator motives.

He can literally murder Minthara at any point during his conquest as she willingly stays at his side, including the companions who are powerful individuals enslaved to do his bidding... what is the point of butchering them all immediately when he could've used them to fulfill his grand plan... what is the point of saving our love interest from our Urges in ACT I, in ACT II and mastering them in ACT III if Dark Urge will just go ape mode on everyone anyway at the end...

Did you honestly think a Chosen Dark Urge player who spent 150 hours getting to the end with Minthara/Astarion will be satisfied seeing their time and effort disrespected like this by ignoring their entire journey up until that point with an instant death of their love interest... Give the players what they truly want, the 4th proper option where Dark Urge with Minthara/Astarion butcher the world together and have them included in the final vision of the eclipse (and don't forget the Butler).

As someone who became a mega fan of yours by blindly buying into BG3's Early Access due to your true artistic passion and immediately afterwards bought DOS2 and DOS1 as well because I wanted even more of that passion (all 3 becoming one of my favorite games ever); it is absolutely saddening to see how drastically your evil stories have degraded (both in writing and care) since Divinity Original Sin II, which as a kickstarter game with a far lesser budget had a satisfying evil story with fully developed endings that offered equal epilogue content and throughout the story had interesting evil choices with interesting outcomes spanning throughout all acts and especially the epilogue.

With characters like Lady Vengeance, Windego and the God-King, Voidwoken and Fane, Saheila and Sebille, Sadha and The Red Prince, Adramahlihk and Lohse. Even entire locations such as Fort Joy, Reaper's Coast, Arx and the entire world. We went from DOS2's long-spanning evil choices resulting in fates far worse than death with an epilogue showing just how miserable everyone and the entire world is after it's doomed, to BG3 comically mimicking Doctor Evil from Austin Powers every chance it gets with its evil choices immediately killing off any evil branching story in its infancy to preserve budget;

You die! He dies! They die! EVIL!
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

To properly conclude the evil story with proper epilogues you should've been drawing inspiration from the amazingly portrayed Vlaakith's throne room ending scene for Ascended Lae'zel or Cursed Dark Urge's epilogue ending, which splendidly shows just how evil truly brings ruin to people and eternally condemns them to fates worse than death. And from that inspiration came up with an equally eerily, dark and messed up epilogue to properly conclude an evil playthrough by showing the miserable state of the world with our companions instead suffering dreadful fates worse than death as they're ruled by our main character who became a God (just like Divinity Original Sin 2 had its epilogue showing a dead miserable world and our companions if one sided with the God-King). Because when the evil journey is already the most unsatisfactory content-deprived experience where any potentially branching story immediately gets killed off in its infancy, at the very least ensure the ending is so fascinatingly well concluded to make all that waste of time and effort worth it.

This also could've been a chance to bring Gortash back; to have an actual ending with him, to surprise your audience who are investing their time into a significantly underdeveloped evil playthrough. "Hey remember Gortash, that amazing character voiced by Jason Isaacs? Yeah he now has an actual ending and Bane shows up in it. GO WILD GUYS!". But no... as always just frantically kill off everyone tied to the evil journey the instant they start to display any interesting branching story on the evil path. You had Gortash as a villain right till the very end and chose to kill him off. What a waste.

Was hoping for an actual quality conclusion to the evil story that respects player agency (like the good playthrough does with its revisions, an epilogue and a post-credit scene) and had these extended cutscenes been merely a part of upcoming content updates to ensure the evil playthrough is brought up to par with the good playthrough then I would not be so critical. But intentionally ignoring the evil playthrough since Early Access and then years later merely extending its lackluster cliffhanger cutscene in such a poorly rushed way as the final content update... sorry.

Far too little and way too late.

[Linked Image from y.yarn.co]

These extended evil cutscenes as they stand are ultimately the final nail in a coffin that shows just how uncared-for and poorly thought-out the evil journey in BG3 is from start to finish where every potentially branching evil story is immediately killed off in its infancy in order to save budget, cutting off all its branches at every corner before they even had a chance to grow. I won't even bother amusing the idea that taking control of the Absolute could have been used for good. To rebuild or create a better world by getting rid of evils such as Vlaakith, Zariel or Lolth, something that Minthara implies with her own good ambitions on the good path. An actual pragmatic would use the Netherbrain as a tool to help or improve reality and we could have been the next Gortash.

And so at the journey's end the only thing I can truly praise is the visual quality and cinematography of these extended cutscenes as they've accomplished visual badassery of epic proportions with their unique outcomes, was incredibly impressed with them. Truly well done. It's just a shame it's nothing more than fancy cliffhanger eye candy to quickly wrap things up in the most uncaring way, which ironically completely killed my interest for a Patch 7 evil playthrough when it should've done the complete opposite.

I'd rather have a well written evil story with no cutscenes (like DOS2), than epic cutscenes with a poorly written evil story (like BG3). At least with the original cliffhanger I was able to headcanon a satisfying proper ending for my Dark Urge and Minthara.

+1000. I give your post a standing ovation.
Evil players have had to wait this long to have their endings; now they get something which majorly ignores and butchers some existing elements that were in the story - particularly in regards to Dark Urge's romance. I don't think it could have been too much effort to at least have your partner standing beside you in the end scene, given how much that would have meant to a lot of players. I hope this will not be the final version of these endings. Evil players should be given a chance to give their feedback on them first, even if they did come out a year after the game's release.

veteran
veteran
Thank you guys for the appreciative comments, it's warming to see other Dark Urge players just as passionate about the character and its unique romance with Minthara/Astarion who are supposed to fully accompany the character to the very end.

As an addition to my post above, I've also come up with this visualized 4th endgame choice concept that respects player agency and previously established character motives through incredibly minor additions yet significantly satisfactory results;

CHOSEN DARK URGE & MINTHARA/ASTARION 4th ENDGAME CHOICE;

(❗HEAVY SPOILER IMAGES❗- VISUALIZED 4th CHOICE CONCEPT!)

The Dark Urge and Minthara finally took control of the Absolute and the final choice presents itself;

• 1. Kill with one last kiss.
  • 2. You do not want to see what is to come. Death is my reward for your service.
  • 3. Run from me when we land. We will meet again at the end of days, when I shall come for you.
  • 4. Father smiles upon us beloved. Let us usher in this new age together, in Bhaal's name.

*Minthara approaches her Dark Urge and they share each other in a passionate embrace having fulfilled their destiny, locking themselves in a deep loving kiss as Sceleritas Fel pops into existence behind the couple with the widest grin imaginable. So proud of the Child Of Bhaal finally growing up into full devastating potential*

*With the two lovers holding each other's hands, the Dark Urge now turns his gaze upon Baldur's Gate and steps off the edge with Minthara in hand. Both levitating together towards the ground where a terrible fate awaits all those unfortunate to survive the chaos so far*

*He descends with Minthara's hand grasping his, ensuring she gently sets upon the ground, the mother of future Bhaalspawn she is after all. He takes one good look at the terrified population of the city and wills it to end.*

*SLAUGHTER! CHAOS! OBLIVION ENSUES! Minthara smiles at the carnage in admiration, pulling herself even closer to him, Sceleritas Fel joyfully giggling like a little schoolgirl at the sanguine artistry... the couple moving through the streets like it's the most relaxing stroll ever, butchering everyone along the path.*

*They keep walking and walking until eventually stepping into the vision of the crimson eclipse, together, holding hands. It's the end of days and they're the only ones left alive*

*The scene keeps following their walk that keeps going and going and going... with Minthara gently fading away from existence like a beautiful passing memory. This is it. This is the end.*

*He is all alone now. The world is dead, everyone is gone and his beloved is no more... he is the last offering left for Father, the final kill. The Urge is no more.*

GAME FADES TO BLACK - CUT - THE END.

That is what a Chosen Dark Urge player would expect a proper end with Minthara/Astarion to actually be, easily accomplished with incredibly minor additions and minimum amount of effort required to make the extended cliffhanger a satisfying proper conclusion.

And despite there being no evil epilogues I'd be happy with it because it would at least respect the player agency and especially the previously established character motives. Minthara and Astarion were literally made to be the only companions with us till the very end, wouldn't settle for anything less.

Thank you ... I have a little tear in my eye, not just because of Sceleritas' photobomb. But yes, that would be a simple ending that a lot of players would be happy with and it would be the simplest means. I think Minthy & Astarion deserve at least an ending where they can stand by our side and go with us to the end of days. As you say, as evil Durge only Minthy & Astarion will accompany you until the end of days.

Last edited by Sini; 28/08/24 04:19 PM.

"Now, was that civilized? No, clearly not. Fun, but in no sense civilized" ~ Braingremlin
A
old hand
old hand
A
Originally Posted by neprostoman
It is a very weird idea to analyze endings in a vacuum. Endings are a climatic moment for the whole campaign and it just feels wrong to separate them and butcher them in a wall of text based on your specific vision for an ideal ending. I've not seen the endings myself for this exact reason, so maybe you are even right. But I'll refrain from giving feedback until I actually experience them, which would definitely be done through playing a proper campaign, in game.

You are unfortunately so right. I came across Gale's ending while browsing the youtubes recently (it has been delisted since) and I would love to comment on it, but my head tells me that without any context and not being in the test group, I shouldn't, at least not on the official channels. So I just hope that some of the play-testers notice the same things and point them out, while I sit on my fingers. ^^

addict
addict
Your post is so well written, Crimsonrider, that I feel the need to write a reply. I'm not a beta tester, so I don't think I should post much about the endings, that's why I'll simply agree with your review and emphasise the things you mentioned.

Originally Posted by Crimsonrider

(...)

However these extended end-cutscenes for the evil playthrough are merely the equivalent of the good playthrough's end-cutscenes at the dock during launch ("Yay the Absolute is dead, nice job everybody... GG, ROLL CREDITS!"). They were not satisfying conclusions for the good story back then and they certainly are not satisfying conclusions for the evil story today regardless of how visually impressive they are.

(...)

(...)

THESE especially!

Gortash is the biggest wasted potential in the game for me. I was quietly hoping for him to show up after all, but I guess that's it for him.

The endings are indeed just extra scenes with no proper aftermath. They're gimmicky and some of them are really fun, but it's just not enough to be a satisfying conclusion to such a long game.

That's how I was thinking of roleplaying my Seldarine Tav - to destroy Lolth and also Vlaakith for Lae'zel (and for my own satisfaction because she made things personal), then get rid of the untrustworthy and obnoxious brain and proceed to the normal good ending with Ascended Astarion.

I also felt emotional reading the description of your proposal for a fourth Durge ending. This would be such a wonderfully dark and powerful ending!

You've written so many extensive and insightful posts, pointing out plot shortcomings and have given so many great ideas how to improve the game for people who don't want to play as a heroic knight in shining armour and prefer to hang out with morally ambiguous characters, I applaud you. It's a shame you don't work for Larian.

veteran
veteran
Considering the sad news at today's final game event, I may as well finish my thoughts regarding these endings. Also thank you Ametris for your kind words.

Without any Patch #7 spoilers;

As the final addition to the original post I wished to express what an evil player would expect an actual proper conclusion for the evil story to be, through one of my favorite main characters - the Emperor.

When it comes to the Emperor for example; the motives and ambitions that drive his character are wonderfully established during a good playthrough. Unlike the other illithids he has no interest in fulfilling the Grand Design, his primary purpose in life is survival at any cost, even if it means giving up his freedom for it. Ultimately the only reason why he goes against the Absolute and helps us in return is because it threatens his very existence, which is why even at the end of the game although he considers taking control of the Absolute, he ultimately does not because then he'd be forced to go to war against the powerful Githyanki Empire. All he wants is to ensure his survival, be free and go back to the shadows in order to continue being the Emperor of the underworld, enjoying the intricacies of local diplomacy and the shadowy manipulations of its events.

During an evil playthrough on the other hand if the player convinces him to take control of the Absolute in order for them to rule together; neither the original cliffhanger nor the extended cutscene actually establish any character ambition to explain his motives for becoming the Absolute. The extended cutscene is intentionally as ambiguous as it can be of any further character development, failing to portray what he ultimately wants to accomplish beyond the cliffhanger, because the true purpose of these extended cutscenes isn't to conclude the story properly, but to cinematically portray our characters in the most comically cartoony mustache-twirling-smirking evil ways in order to just visually impress the audience; "You're evil! Evil I tell you! Pure evil! Do you see how evil you are?! Are you impressed yet?! Let me show you some more! More evil!"

That's why they're visually impressive cliffhangers, but terribly lackluster in substance and therefore not proper story conclusions. The good playthrough also had visually impressive cliffhangers at launch, yet despite that half of the story being significantly far more developed since it was prioritized throughout development, the community was not satisfied with mere cliffhangers. It took revisions, a proper epilogue and a post-credit scene to properly conclude the good journey in a satisfying way by actually showing character ambitions beyond the dock scene and what each of them ultimately accomplished.

An example of a proper evil story conclusion based on the Emperor's character ambitions;

The game fades to black after the visually impressive extended cliffhanger and then opens up with the cinematic mural of the Grand Design transforming into an actual in-game rendition of the Illithid Empire in full motion as its epilogue cutscene. Showing the ambitious Emperor having established a safe and thriving Illithid Empire with all kinds of races in absolute unity, and our main character at his side as his non-illithid Empress (if romanced), surrounded by our illithid companions as advisors before the credits ultimately roll.

To accomplish this ending, the player would have to;

• Romance the Emperor
  • Persuade him to take control of the Absolute at the end

Through this his romance becomes elevated by having an actual satisfying endgame outcome (instead of just being a pointless hentai sexual kink with an achievement) and provides an ending in which the player gets to see the Emperor's ambition realized and their character ruling at his side (like Minthara/Astarion are supposed to rule by ours). This is what respecting player's time and effort actually looks like, and with just a tiny bit of imagination and care the evil story could've been beautifully salvaged and drastically improved.

Despite this outcome originating from an evil choice, it's not trying to cinematically portray the most cartoony mustache-twirling-smirking evil through our characters. Instead it's just an evil choice with a morally ambiguous outcome resulting in an interesting fate for our main character, our companions and the entire cosmos. Ultimately leaving it to the player to ponder just how negative or positive it may be. It's open to interpretation while providing an interesting conclusion.

Unfortunately we will never get to see these kind of proper endings. Evil players are unfortunately out of luck due to official announcements made months in advance stating no more content will be coming and to make matters even worse the community's feedback on these endings got drastically segregated with this Closed Beta (as is evident wasn't even publicly discussed until I kicked the hornet's nest).

These extended cliffhangers should've been in the game since launch and Update #7 should've been our proper evil epilogues where we get to see evil ambitions properly realized. This is a story rich RPG after all. As someone who plays both sides of the story, actually tries to enjoy its lackluster evil side and pays attention to all the lore with 1200 hours invested into the character of Dark Urge and a significant amount more into the evil side of it trying to improve it (as is also evident by my signature documenting all issues regarding Dark Urge & Minthara on an evil playthrough, which these endings are supposed to enrich)... I would expect a story rich RPG to provide equal content for the evil side of it and a proper conclusion when pouring 150+ hours into every single playthrough.

But alas, we ain't getting it anymore. That ship for us evil players has way in advance prematurely sailed in its very infancy without even giving us a chance to provide proper feedback on it. I was hoping for at least the Chosen Dark Urge ending with Minthara/Astarion romanced to properly be addressed, since that one is literally dismissing previously established character motives and completely disregarding player agency because it's too rushed trying to visually impress, rather than properly concluding the story in a respectful and satisfying manner.

It's too late now as the update arrives next week.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Crimsomrider, it is admirable how much work and effort you have put into giving Larian extensive feedback after all this time.

Personally, I have decided not to bother anymore, after watching some of the evil endings on yt. It is tiring to watch all the fan feeback go into a void. Minthara is basically getting the same treatment as Viconia, where her previously established characterization does not matter, she is just used as a prop character in the evil side of the story (or in Viconia's case propping Shadowheart's story). Wyll's evil ending is so disappointing and out of character for him. Karlach's evil ending is just ridiculous (so thanks to brain power she does not need a heart anymore?!).

BG3 has fun combat, I enjoyed honor mode and I am looking forward to fanmade mods, but I am done with Larian's storytelling.

Last edited by saeran; 31/08/24 07:21 AM.
veteran
veteran
Thanks for mentioning Wyll's ending, I managed to hunt it down to see it for myself and... yeah... devastating to see. I was not aware it was so bad even articles got written about it, it's even worse than the lore contradicting Dark Urge one. At least Dark Urge's can be salvaged with minor additions, but Wyll's I truly cannot salvage.

There's no evil story or character development here, this is just pure character butchering for epic visuals. No actual ambition nor reason to be doing what he's doing, completely out of character, an imbecilic psychopath just throwing a tantrum instead of having actual established ambitions and motives to ultimately accomplish something of worth on a grander scale. Because that's all these cutscenes aim to portray, just a very childish evil bully for the sake of shoving into the player's face how evil they've become.

Just like I said;

Neither the original cliffhanger nor the extended cutscene actually establish any character ambition to explain motives for becoming the Absolute. The extended cutscene is intentionally as ambiguous as it can be of any further character development, failing to portray what [our characters] ultimately want to accomplish beyond the cliffhanger, because the true purpose of these extended cutscenes isn't to conclude the story properly, but to cinematically portray our characters in the most comically cartoony mustache-twirling-smirking evil ways in order to just visually impress the audience; "You're evil! Evil I tell you! Pure evil! Do you see how evil you are?! Are you impressed yet?! Let me show you some more! More evil!"

A few days ago I was joking with someone how I intentionally didn't include Wyll's potential evil epilogue ambitions into my original post because Wyll's just a nice guy. I truly have no idea what Wyll's evil ambition could be, other than probably becoming Karlach's ULTIMATE EVIL sidekick yet again as a joke. But in all seriousness I personally saw his ambition and motive as;

• Him becoming so fed up with Mizora he eternally imprisons her to torture her and then becomes so consumed by hate against devils he fully embraces becoming the actual vengeful Blade Of Frontiers from Early Access, paying a visit to the Hells and slaughtering the devils with such brutality he eventually fully evolves into an archdemon himself by the time he's done. Ultimately becoming the very thing he hates.
  • Repulsed by his new form, but believing himself to be a hero doing the right thing, he establishes a fake utopia in Baldur's Gate by dominating the population to idolize him in order to cope with it.

It would've been beautifully poetic since he's a hero corrupted by power that just wants to do the right thing. A sort of bittersweet evil ending where he truly does the right thing on a grand scale, but ends up so corrupted by it he ends up a villain just trying to cope with the consequences, so demonically deformed even Mizora can't look at him out of sheer terror.

But after seeing his actual unique ending, it's truly devastating to see because Larian knows how to write captivating villains;

• Ketheric Thorm who is evil precisely because he loves, precisely because he cares, precisely because he has a family he wants to protect. A daughter he is so attached to he'll even tadpole her just to preserve the last essence of his family. He's a family man, a father, a husband trying to create a world where someone like him won't have to suffer the loss of a wife and child ever again.
  • Gortash who is not evil for the sake of being evil, but because he was wronged as a child and sold to none other than Raphael of all people in order to pay the bills. He came from nothing and fought his way to the top in order to create a world in which he'll never again be used as a bargaining chip for others.
  • Orin who as a child was born into a deranged family, with her own parents imagining best ways to murder her in order to please Bhaal. She had no way out, never stood a chance of a normal life, misery is all she's ever known and ultimately had to do the best she could with it. Someone who completely breaks down when she learns the truth she's merely a product of her environment, a child of incest merely created to be sacrificed.

But when it comes to our characters they're the ultimate cartoony and selfishly deranged evil psychopaths imaginable, more deranged than all 3 main villains combined. Makes Orin look like a completely sane woman that's just uppity in comparison.

What I personally would do for Wyll is toss this unique ending into the trashcan and make Tav's Baldur's Gate generic ending his actual ending. It wouldn't be as impressive, but it would entirely fit his character. The hero who saved Baldur's Gate, by conquering it.

addict
addict
Seeing how patch 7 is coming out within a week already, I'm a bit more encouraged to post some things. About Wyll:

His evil ending is terrible, the worst of them all!

A monster hunter who creates monsters to conquer the world? It's basicly like the Grand Design ending but he gets to keep his human face. Mizora doesn't make an appearance, which is weird. Wyll also doesn't have any interest in the Hells anymore. He abandons two of his possible good paths entirely and instead of acting like a pragmatic Duke, using the power to protect the Sword Coast, he just creates monstrosities, destroys the soul of his father, and wreaks havoc on the world instead so he can maybe have some semblance of peace eventually, ruling as a despot. He's acting completely out of character.

Paraphrasing Crimsonrider: "He's evil! Evil I tell you! Pure evil! Do you see how evil he is?! Are you impressed yet?! Let me show you some more! More evil!"

If you compare his ending to Ascended Astarion's it turns out that AA (who was branded as evil incarnate, the monstrous tyrant) is actually a much nicer guy than the preaching hero Wyll. hahaha

As someone who almost never had Wyll in my party, was half-asleep during conversations with him because they bored me so much, didn't bother to take him with me to do his personal quests (only to meet Karlach), didn't save his dad and didn't kill Ansur, because I preferred to ally with Gortash, it seems I still have a better understanding of the character than the people who wrote his new ending. laugh

A few days ago I was joking with someone how I intentionally didn't include Wyll's potential evil epilogue ambitions into my original post because he's just a nice guy. I truly have no idea what Wyll's evil ambition could be
There used to be an easy answer to this in early access. Lean into his self-indulgence. At the end of the journey he decides that's who he really was the whole time and the heroism was a convenience of his bestowed abilities that affords him the luxury. He didn't even particularly hate Mizora, the past he shared with us was remembered fondly not just because of the indulgence but because he was actually getting shit done and she enabled that. This would put it a lot more in line with Ascended Astarion and Justiciar Shadowheart at the least. Rather than a cartoonish bully you get something more like a "Good Tyrant."

But with how they ripped the central pillar of his personality out of his backstory they wrote themselves into a corner. What does someone with imposter syndrome and low self-confidence (the WORST choice they made about his rewrite) do when they embrace evil? idk go full megalomaniac I guess.

veteran
veteran
What is this discussion even? Wyll is only destined for an evil ending if you play as him and lead his character there. The game provides a wide plethora of interesring situations and meaningful dialogue options, a lot of which can be interpreted as plot turning points for any desired transition. If you fail to develop a character properly in order to be satisfied with the given state of affairs in the end, thats on you... we are talking a role-playing game here, not a scripted dialogue simulator where every story bit and decision is interpreted for you, in great detail. You need to do some RP between the lines to make the things feel right and organic. If you do some actual role play you'll never get into a situation when a goody-to-shoes suddenly enslaved the world or any other absurd situation.

Last edited by neprostoman; 31/08/24 07:53 PM. Reason: typo
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
I don't care much for the inconsistencies Sceleritas may have brought with his comment, but I do think the evil endings are clearly phoned in and written without any interest in them, just trying to get them out of the way. It makes me wonder if the general ending was so bad not because they were running out of time and resources but because they just didn't care about the game anymore and wanted to get it over with. But some of the cinematics I've seen for the evil endings also look kind of bad and rushed so idk maybe it's because they only have a small team working on BG3 now.

Originally Posted by jinetemoranco
I don't care much for the inconsistencies Sceleritas may have brought with his comment, but I do think the evil endings are clearly phoned in and written without any interest in them, just trying to get them out of the way.
I want to add that it's not even just comments that Sceleritas made, but also dialogues you share with your romantic partner as Chosen Dark Urge, and the prophecy made by the Bhaal priestess if you're romancing AA
If Dark Urge comments that their partner holds the key to immortality, the Bhaal priestess gives the prophecy of AA and Dark Urge dying in each other's arms, at the end of days, when the sun explodes. Apparently that's not even an option now. The only options are to just kill your partner immediately or make them run from you for now, basically with the promise of hunting them down to kill them later.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by neprostoman
What is this discussion even? Wyll is only destined for an evil ending if you play as him and lead his character there. The game provides a wide plethora of interesring situations and meaningful dialogue options, a lot of which can be interpreted as plot turning points for any desired transition. If you fail to develop a character properly in order to be satisfied with the given state of affairs in the end, thats on you... we are talking a role-playing game here, not a scripted dialogue simulator where every story bit and decision is interpreted for you, in great detail. You need to do some RP between the lines to make the things feel right and organic. If you do some actual role play you'll never get into a situation when a goody-to-shoes suddenly enslaved the world or any other absurd situation.

You can roleplay your chara any way you want of course, but in this case they decided to create origin specific endings that they seem to think fit the characters best. There are no other alternatives other than the generic Tav options. There are no options to be a pragmatist using the power for the greater good, which is something one could expect from Wyll in particular. That's how I'd play his origin after seeing how he behaves as a companion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard