Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by papercut_ninja
Originally Posted by KiraMira
What are you talking about? I'm talking about the change to the character expression during a kiss, that was happy before, and is now horrible. Nothing to do what you do in your game, I could not care less about your choices.

If you don't care about my choices, why would you care if there was a choice in the game where I can say I want my character to feel frightened when they are intimate with ascended Astarion and I went for that choice (as long as you have the option to make a different choice that suits your preference)?

You can feel that that is dumb, gross, inconsistent or whatever. No one is forcing you to click that choice.

If Larian wants to add that they can, but like Every said it would also be nice to have such a choice for all the companions. I just don't see it as logical choice. I think if you ever decide to do the AA romance you would perhaps understand what me and many others feel about this. It is not that no one else can play trapped, it is about including both scenarios. Neutral is the best way to do it, imo.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ametris
As I said earlier, there are several dialogue options to roleplay being scared of Astarion and the sensible action is to break up with him. Astarion explains to you what you're getting yourself into. Tav being scared of Astarion and then asking for a kiss and being terrified of him every single time to the same degree doesn't make sense. If you're scared of dogs, do you go around petting them or don't touch them and try to stay away from them? If you're scared of mice, do you go to the pet shop and buy one for yourself? Even in a weird scenario where Tav was somehow scared of him and wanted to repeatedly kiss him regardless, their fear would get reduced after each kiss, since they'd know what to expect.

Let's not crawl down the rabbithole of why people might stay in abusive relationships and pretend to be happy, you don't want to be the one on the wrong side of that discussion.

What matters is that if OP wants to play their relationship this way and it doesn't affect how you experience your romance, then it doesn't matter what logic OP is applying. You can ignore it. I am ignoring a ton of stuff people are doing in their games right now that I think is messed up, out of character, dumb or whatever and I am not suffering.

I'm not talking about why people stay in abusive relationships, I'm merely describing why this animation doesn't make logical sense. This illogicality was part of the complaints about patch 6 and why the kisses are going to be changed.

I am also not suffering about things people do in their own games, they can do what they want, not my business, I just don't want the game to force this farce on me.

This whole thread is hilarious considering we haven't even seen what's in patch 7 and there's already a request to add modifications to it.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Every
Then I have a counter question, what’s the problem with adding neutral facial expressions to all companions?

There is no problem with adding optional facial expressions to any amount of companions in terms of it hurting anyone. That was my whole starting point for engaging in this discussion, that some people argued that the mere existence of an optional facial expression would impact them negatively and I think if it does you are allowing way too much headspace for how other people play their game.

In terms of focus and priority, that's a valid discussion. I personally feel that intimacy in general gets way too much focus over other things.

journeyman
journeyman
This whole thread is hilarious considering we haven't even seen what's in patch 7 and there's already a request to add modifications to it.

THIS!

I don't want to suspect anyone, but all this doesn't look very nice...

Then I have a counter question, what’s the problem with adding neutral facial expressions to all companions?

There is no problem with adding optional facial expressions to any amount of companions in terms of it hurting anyone. That was my whole starting point for engaging in this discussion, that some people argued that the mere existence of an optional facial expression would impact them negatively and I think if it does you are allowing way too much headspace for how other people play their game.

In terms of focus and priority, that's a valid discussion. I personally feel that intimacy in general gets way too much focus over other things.

Let's wait for the 7th patch first)

Last edited by Every; 03/08/24 08:21 PM.
S
old hand
old hand
S
Considering that OP apparently explicitly wants the neutral expressions in the game, I would say you're fine. It's also not very nice to suspect someone of malice who has done nothing to earn it. There have been direct comparisons to not only arson in this thread, but wanting others to choke to death.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Silver/
Considering that OP apparently explicitly wants the neutral expressions in the game, I would say you're fine. It's also not very nice to suspect someone of malice who has done nothing to earn it. There have been direct comparisons to arson in this thread.

Yes, half of the replies in this thread seems to focus on how people don't want to be forced to see the facial expressions from patch 6 in their game. Which is not what OP is suggesting at all.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Considering that OP apparently explicitly wants the neutral expressions in the game, I would say you're fine. It's also not very nice to suspect someone of malice who has done nothing to earn it. There have been direct comparisons to not only arson in this thread, but wanting others to choke to death.

Also about theft! Do not forget that one. And no one mentioned death of any other person. Not even figuratively.

S
old hand
old hand
S
So, like I said, if someone else is going to play with my toy, they have to play with it my way or they can't have it.

It is more like neighbours living in an apartment in happy harmony and one day someone decides to set fire to the building. Some neighbour thinks it's nice and warm, not caring at all if the other ones living in the apartment is choking and getting burned.
For posterity before it's deleted

enthusiast
enthusiast
What are you talking about? I'm talking about the change to the character expression during a kiss, that was happy before, and is now horrible. Nothing to do what you do in your game, I could not care less about your choices.

If you don't care about my choices, why would you care if there was a choice in the game where I can say I want my character to feel frightened when they are intimate with ascended Astarion and I went for that choice (as long as you have the option to make a different choice that suits your preference)?

You can feel that that is dumb, gross, inconsistent or whatever. No one is forcing you to click that choice.

AA-only selection It looks biased and intrusive.
No one asked for "scared reactions to kissing", this only came up on 14 Feb.
Why write a romance where the character is scared and hates their partner? Giving it opitions and reactions when there isn't the necessary context in the story for it.
We always have "break up" or don't even start (if the romance is strongly disliked like some people feel about Karlah or Halsin overpush things), and not agreeing to what Astarion is proposes. I don't think there's a point. That's why there are no scared faces with Minthara. (those who are frightened by her will just give up on romance)

Neutral faces is a more appropriate suggestion, an option for all characters - then the player can present different characters and emotions. But I still don't think the realization of this is necessary in the game, as it has been in most patches.

Let's wait for the 7th patch first)

That's right

enthusiast
enthusiast
So, like I said, if someone else is going to play with my toy, they have to play with it my way or they can't have it.

It is more like neighbours living in an apartment in happy harmony and one day someone decides to set fire to the building. Some neighbour thinks it's nice and warm, not caring at all if the other ones living in the apartment is choking and getting burned.

Why would I. It's a good counter example. And like I said no death is described. I do not point a finger at anyone in specific, it's a pure fictive answer to the fictive statement from papercut_ninja.

Last edited by KiraMira; 03/08/24 08:37 PM.

Not even remotely the same. My story choices are not affecting your story at all, they do not spread to your story.

I can easily prove it, I am going to load up the game right now and click on a bunch of choices and I can promise your game didn't change at all. Let me know if I was wrong and you noticed something in your games.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about the change to the character expression during a kiss, that was happy before, and is now horrible. And is luckily getting changed to nautral. Think of the harmony as Patch 5 and the fire as Patch 6 if that helps. Nothing to do what you do in your game, I could not care less about your choices.

This is what I'm not understanding. People did not have an issue with expressions for five literal patches. Never posted on how they wished they would change.
Now, suddenly, when the game realigns to what it had beforehand, they are unhappy with losing something that hurt a lot of people, and are asking for changes to something that haven't even been seen yet. How do they know they will be unhappy? They haven's seen the end product. So it does feel a tad disingenuous. It gives the impression of a few people trying to be counter. Their RP abilities were not squashed previous to patch 6. Otherwise they would have been on here complaining before the new 6 animations dropped. I don't understand being upset over something we've already had before, that at the time had not made them upset.

S
old hand
old hand
S

Why would I. It's a good counter example. And like I said no death is described.
I'm not sure what other mental image "burning and choking" invokes in you, but alright. This person who wants more options is apparently akin to an arsonist, says KiraMira.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm not sure what other mental image "burning and choking" invokes in you, but alright. This person who wants more options is apparently akin to an arsonist, says KiraMira.

Maybe you should try to keep the thread on point and not derail it like this.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Natasy

Not even remotely the same. My story choices are not affecting your story at all, they do not spread to your story.

I can easily prove it, I am going to load up the game right now and click on a bunch of choices and I can promise your game didn't change at all. Let me know if I was wrong and you noticed something in your games.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about the change to the character expression during a kiss, that was happy before, and is now horrible. And is luckily getting changed to nautral. Think of the harmony as Patch 5 and the fire as Patch 6 if that helps. Nothing to do what you do in your game, I could not care less about your choices.

This is what I'm not understanding. People did not have an issue with expressions for five literal patches. Never posted on how they wished they would change.
Now, suddenly, when the game realigns to what it had beforehand, they are unhappy with losing something that hurt a lot of people, and are asking for changes to something that haven't even been seen yet. How do they know they will be unhappy? They haven's seen the end product. So it does feel a tad disingenuous. It gives the impression of a few people trying to be counter. Their RP abilities were not squashed previous to patch 6. Otherwise they would have been on here complaining before the new 6 animations dropped. I don't understand being upset over something we've already had before, that at the time had not made them upset.
People have been having issues with expressions since early access. There's a popular mod to fix the worst contenders, reducing wrinkling to varying degrees. If you want to play a stoic character as of now, it's impossible without mods for many popular races/species. People have shut up because we have mods now. It's me. I am people. I am part of the crew to have b*tched about this for ages.

addict
addict
People have been having issues with expressions since early access. There's a popular mod to fix the worst contenders, reducing wrinkling to varying degrees. If you want to play a stoic character as of now, it's impossible without mods for many popular races/species. People have shut up because we have mods now. It's me. I am people. I am part of the crew to have b*tched about this for ages.

I haven't seen a single post in here asking for Tav to look terrified of Astarion when kissing him until patch 6 happened. Are there any threads about it that I missed?

S
old hand
old hand
S

I haven't seen a single post in here asking for Tav to look terrified of Astarion when kissing him until patch 6 happened.
That would be because looking visibly and unexpectedly terrified is the opposite of being stoic. Nonetheless, people have had criticism for how much or little emotion the game conveys for a long time. This scene is the latest incident, and seemingly the most controversial. What the mod does is bump people up to 3 varying sets of intensity (normal, reduced, severely reduced). Be aware, this will be applied to all scenes Tav is in. It was NOT created for Astarion romance.

addict
addict

I haven't seen a single post in here asking for Tav to look terrified of Astarion when kissing him until patch 6 happened.
That would be because looking visibly and unexpectedly terrified is the opposite of being stoic. Nonetheless, people have had criticism for how much or little emotion the game conveys for a long time. This scene is the latest incident, and seemingly the most controversial. What the mod does is bump people up to 3 varying sets of intensity (normal, reduced, severely reduced). Be aware, this will be applied to all scenes Tav is in. It was NOT created for Astarion romance.

Funny, I could have sworn the criticism of this scene was that Tav previously looked visibly happy and completely not terrified, like here in patch 3, for example (just before and after kissing Astarion):

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
old hand
old hand
S

Funny, I could have sworn the criticism of this scene was that Tav previously looked visibly happy and completely not terrified, like here in patch 3, for example (just before and after kissing Astarion):

If you checked my reply, it's to the claim that people have not talked about how characters emote for the last 5 patches. That is simply untrue.

"This is what I'm not understanding. People did not have an issue with expressions for five literal patches. Never posted on how they wished they would change."

addict
addict

If you checked my reply, it's to the claim that people have not talked about how characters emote for the last 5 patches. That is simply untrue.

I don't see Natasy talking about any other animations than the kissing ones.

S
old hand
old hand
S

I don't see Natasy talking about any other animations than the kissing ones.
Natasy does explicitly not specify as they start with a general statement, which is then followed up by "losing something". The first indirect mention of kissing is: "Their RP abilities were not squashed previous to patch 6".

Of course, Natasy may have just worded their statement in an unprecise way. In that case, I doubt I'd have wronged them by mentioning the long standing issue of people complaining about scenes throughout the game. Larian has completely ignored anyone's pleas on the topic until Patch 7, which is why it's come to be modded.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard