Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
Suggesting that the cycle of abuse can't be talked about in relation to this in the game is simply a way of trying to hamstring opposing opinions.

"Why don't you like it? For this reason? Oh, but you can't talk about that reason."

A truly weird take tbh, great storytelling in games is adaptable storytelling, when making an action causes an appropriate reaction. I can't see how banning the player agency can ever be a good thing, unless the whole idea of losing agency serves the plot. Here it doesn't, because you can still murder Astarion afterwards or ditch him to eat dirt at camp, you are not being held captive or something.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
As others have said this is not the right thread to relitigate previous discussions about kisses with Ascended Astarion, and no thread is the right one to criticise others for their preferences. It's of course relevant for people to comment on the changes in animations, but please let them do that without getting into an argument. Everyone is entitled to their view and (as long as it's in line with forum rules) to express them without being attacked for it.

I won't be locking this thread as it's here for closed beta feedback, but anyone derailing it will find themselves warned and potentially suspended. Don't do it folks!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by neprostoman
I can't see how banning the player agency can ever be a good thing, unless the whole idea of losing agency serves the plot.

So you agree we should have the player agency to decide how our character would react to Ascended Astarion’s kisses?

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Ahem ...

Originally Posted by The Red Queen
As others have said this is not the right thread to relitigate previous discussions about kisses with Ascended Astarion, and no thread is the right one to criticise others for their preferences. It's of course relevant for people to comment on the changes in animations, but please let them do that without getting into an argument. Everyone is entitled to their view and (as long as it's in line with forum rules) to express them without being attacked for it.

I won't be locking this thread as it's here for closed beta feedback, but anyone derailing it will find themselves warned and potentially suspended. Don't do it folks!

I am guessing Yharmeru was typing their post as I was publishing mine above, but I'm afraid the next forum member not clearly posting feedback on patch 7 will get warned, as I'm concerned this thread will become unusable for its intended purpose.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
M
stranger
stranger
M
Alfira probably shouldn't have a parasite specimen, as it implies she is a True Soul, unless I'm missing something. I also think it's incredibly underwhelming that you can't dress her up or loot her unique outfit for your own bard; I can't imagine what anyone would want out of a one-camp-scene temporary companion but to do one of those two things, or why this little adjustment was made in the first place if it amounts to absolutely nothing at all. Because you can't do anything with her equipment or even level her up (despite the level up jingle playing when you get her), the illusion that she really is joining you is completely ruined, so it's even more obvious something happens to her in the next scene. I'm really confused by this implementation.

Last edited by Mindwitness; 11/08/24 10:22 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Mindwitness
(snipped)
Alfira probably shouldn't have a parasite specimen, as it implies she is a True Soul, unless I'm missing something. I also think it's incredibly underwhelming that you can't dress her up or loot her unique outfit for your own bard; I can't imagine what anyone would want out of a one-camp-scene temporary companion but to do one of those two things, or why this little adjustment was made in the first place if it amounts to absolutely nothing at all. Because you can't do anything with her equipment or even level her up (despite the level up jingle playing when you get her), the illusion that she really is joining you is completely ruined, so it's even more obvious something happens to her in the next scene. I'm really confused by this implementation.

100% agreed, that makes me so sad.

The only reason why I was excited about her part of the patch notes was to take her unique clothes, hoping Larian would go all out into making her act as an actual companion for that one night to truly drive the deception forward for newer players. Imagine the shock after spending 10-15 minutes in customizing her build and giving her gear, thinking she's the next party member and then being smacked with the sudden realization out of nowhere.

Hearing it's that lazily implemented with so many limitations is disappointing. As for the parasite specimen; I presume she's been given the vial to act as meta-compensation for losing out on her unique robes from ACT II, but story-wise it makes zero sense for her to carry it and roleplay-wise it's useless to players who don't consume tadpoles. Would've been better if she just dropped her ACT II unique clothes instead.

A
old hand
old hand
A
I hope it's ok to ask something even though I don't have access to the beta. A while back, there was a video on yt with datamined companion reactions to Spawn-Astarion burning up at the dock. I wonder if anyone can tell me if those are the ones now included because Minthara's very emphatic reaction seemed odd to me.

Many of my saves are with Avatar-Spawn-Astarion, so I am most familiar with the comments he gets when the sun starts burning him, and I think those are pretty much perfect. They are worried and caring but in a way that is reflective of the companions' personalities - Shadowheart and Wyll are mostly worried, while Gale is more chill and emphasises the community aspect of finding a safe spot together. From what I have seen on yt, the new remarks the gang makes about Companion-Astarion in his time of distress are a bit more over the top but that's ok I guess.

Minthara threw me off though. She absolutely roasts you, when you have to run from the sun as Avatar-Astarion because she thinks staying a spawn was stupid and so she makes fun of you, both while you burn up and during the epilogue party - and I think that is great because it's very in line with her character. Hearing her relate to Companion-Astarion with compassion and without an element of the situation being his own (or the PC's) fault, was just a bit weird. But maybe that's just my impression.

Last edited by Anska; 12/08/24 10:56 AM.
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
@Anska Minthara's reaction isn't here, but the rest are. It's pretty bad except for Jaheira's, which is good. I didn't say anything here both because it's Astarion related, as posts often are, and because there's no way they're putting resources into fixing these again so found it pointless to comment on, but honestly they're baffling. No one speaks like a human being, much less like themselves (save for Jaheehee, of course). Karlach's also isn't here, and from what I remember, her line is fine (something like Oh, that's fucking cruel)

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
(snipped)

100% agreed, that makes me so sad.

The only reason why I was excited about her part of the patch notes was to take her unique clothes, hoping Larian would go all out into making her act as an actual companion for that one night to truly drive the deception forward for newer players. Imagine the shock after spending 10-15 minutes in customizing her build and giving her gear, thinking she's the next party member and then being smacked with the sudden realization out of nowhere.

Hearing it's that lazily implemented with so many limitations is disappointing. As for the parasite specimen; I presume she's been given the vial to act as meta-compensation for losing out on her unique robes from ACT II, but story-wise it makes zero sense for her to carry it and roleplay-wise it's useless to players who don't consume tadpoles. Would've been better if she just dropped her ACT II unique clothes instead.
Or the potent robe, as the Durge cape might still be completely dysfunctional and not fixed. Neither the old issue of some damage riders on kill not working (famously including sneak attack damage) nor the new one, where I find it incompatible with most passives in the game in honor mode (does trigger, but effects are competing and Durge cape always loses. It's like taking no-check AoE damage from bless, arcane synergy, selune's blessing, etc.).

journeyman
journeyman
I am involved in testing. I want to say that the corrected animations of Tav when kissing Astarion are now good, and I can imagine them both in a happy couple and in a couple where Tav is unhappy. I don't think you should worry about it. Tav is smiling, but you can also see a little fear on Tav's face, discontent. This will satisfy all the players. you can perfectly imagine the right path for this story. I really hope everything stays the same as it is now in patch 7 beta. Everything is fixed correctly, thanks Larian.

Hello, can someone please tell me about Halsin-Mintara. (Act 2 of the dark lands). Now can only one of them be chosen? Since I saw information that Halsin gets hysterical and leaves if you leave Mintara in the squad. Or it's possible to recruit both of them?

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by illeaillas-san
I am involved in testing. I want to say that the corrected animations of Tav when kissing Astarion are now good, and I can imagine them both in a happy couple and in a couple where Tav is unhappy. I don't think you should worry about it. Tav is smiling, but you can also see a little fear on Tav's face, discontent. This will satisfy all the players. you can perfectly imagine the right path for this story. I really hope everything stays the same as it is now in patch 7 beta. Everything is fixed correctly, thanks Larian.
That sounds promising

A
old hand
old hand
A
Thank you for the link @jinetemoranco, I also don't think the lines will be changed again but I think the underlying issue is maybe worth mentioning because things being too sweet for me is just as bad as them being too callous. In both extremes the dialogue looses that flavour that makes characters and their relationships special and interesting.

Originally Posted by Mirmi
Hello, can someone please tell me about Halsin-Mintara. (Act 2 of the dark lands). Now can only one of them be chosen? Since I saw information that Halsin gets hysterical and leaves if you leave Mintara in the squad. Or it's possible to recruit both of them?

I had Halsin in the party when I rescued Minthara from Moonrise, and it was entirely possible. I did a long rest afterwards and he doesn't object to it. I have both of them at camp and both are able to travel with me in the party.
Sidenote, I was wrong about the portrait. Halsin still doesn't get his own tent.

Salo Offline OP
Community Manager
OP Offline
Community Manager

Alfira having a tadpole and not being able to level up are known issues and the team is currently looking into them along with some of the issues related to her temporary recruitment, thanks for the reports!

veteran
veteran
imo the the entire recruit Mintara needs a story prompt along the lines of
1 kill this evil bitch for good people everywhere or
2 just knock her out so she can crawl back to her masters in shame

such a fix is simple to code and saves a lot of uncertainly waiting for act 2

as a side note i'm getting sick of Larian picking good or evil story like thats the only possible path... at release we could do some evil choices that ending up with good results and some good choices that went horribly wrong but it didn't make our Tav good or evil just unlucky or fed up with whomever needed saving/ killing

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ussnorway
as a side note i'm getting sick of Larian picking good or evil story like thats the only possible path... at release we could do some evil choices that ending up with good results and some good choices that went horribly wrong but it didn't make our Tav good or evil just unlucky or fed up with whomever needed saving/ killing

In what way did it change? I remember as it was yesterday, my first playthrough: a burdened hero who never asked for this, killing his gith friend, swallowing his grief and siding with a mindflayer in order to save the city he spent years in. Then getting out of the godforsaken city.

I've recently finished the story once again. All the choices were still there, I just took a different approach, is all. What choices exactly do you have in mind here?

veteran
veteran
g lets see, no you can't kill those kids now because they have a forcefield around them... wow that added 1/2 doz new bugs
you don't find fishermen digging out a squid anymore because a pally can fall because of it... the fact a pally can fall 5 mins later doesn't matter but this quest needs to be ripped out
wyll didn't lose his eye to spike because now he has a new bullshit backstory that makes even less sense than his hating spike back story but at keast he tries to dance with you now... even thou you have a parter standing right there and told wyll to pissoff
Shadowheart died on the bridge of the ship before you reached the transpondor now equals no wait she is only knocked out and apparently changed out of Lazels armour into a new set of special green leathers on the way down while being dead/ knocked out because [plot people says this makes it better] apparently

halsin and minthara needs dozens of untested changes because people started to work out how to get them together in the same tent and this upset Larian or whatever... thats easy another 2 dozen game ending bugs that pop up at random

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
stranger
stranger
[Speech]★You trying to convince Larian to believe that the new Ansur animation looks foolish and the old one is better★ :3

stranger
stranger
Hello,
Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to take part in the closed beta. I have the following question: Will Minthara be revised again or is this already the final version? I finished playing God Gale Origin a few minutes ago because I wanted to know if I could make Minthara a goddess. I find it kind of illogical that Minthara doesn't want to become a god or doesn't even mention it, considering she wants to have power, e.g. rule the Absolute or conquer lands. Does anyone know if this has changed or can I give up my hopes? I'm sorry if this post is out of place here.
Thank you for all the answers.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard