Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
addict
addict
Originally Posted by ladyincognita
Some of us never interpreted it as a kink or bdsm thing though, which is precisely the reason why the new expressions bother us. In fact, if it was supposed to be bdsm/kinky, the old expressions might even still apply because a lot of bdsm is based on cnc, and that is also a valid kink to have and shouldn’t be shamed either.

I never once named kissing animations specificallyEdit: Also, I’m sorry, but going back and forth between calling the kisses a kink and SA makes it hard for me to pinpoint why exactly you’re against the addition of a toggle. If you think they’re a depiction of SA, wouldn’t Tav reacting positively be even more disturbing?[/spoiler]

No, it isn't. I understand that you like dead dove and not D/s, and that's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of either, but please, before you judge scenes that reflect other people's tastes, try doing a little research on the matter before making judgments that may be in bad faith and offend those players who like those scenes. In order to fill the information gap, I'll put Seramina's post here under a spoiler from the thread where we were discussing the kissing issues of patch 6. I think this post explains everything in a very accessible and informative way.

Originally Posted by Seramina
I'm gonna jump in here as someone who has knowledge of the BDSM scene for a bit since people are bringing specifically SM up, which is not what the kisses are portraying and I think it's important to understand what the specific terminology here since BDSM is often misunderstood to a harmful degree. SM in kink culture is about pain and pleasure, not about fear (unless it's a specific scene you're role playing but I highly doubt the devs thought about putting a sub-culture of a sub-culture into the game, and if they did they failed in their portrayal). Spanking is SM, for example. Very vanilla, basic SM, but that's what it is. It's meant to be consensual and enjoyable to both parties, even when roleplaying a non/dub con scene (which you could argue the kisses are but it's executed so horridly I don't think that holds water here). The mind control/noncon stuff aren't actually BDSM, they're their own specific kink, and they shouldn't be lumped together with BDSM where trust and respect are integral to a healthy dynamic.

With that in mind, in my opinion the kisses are trying to display D/s dynamics, not SM.

Dominant/submissive dynamics are usually misunderstood (look at 50 Shades for example), because a lot of people don't understand the submissive thing (wanting to not be in control). It usually boils down to people thinking submission is humiliating/degrading/lesser what have you; it can of course be about those (if both parties agree and it's enjoyable to them), but more often it's about being able to safely give up control to a trusted party and just not having to think; it can be about pleasing another person, or just being taken care of. People also think the domination thing is just about being able to boss someone around, when often it also involves caring for another and meeting their needs and showing that you are worthy of your sub placing their trust in you so thoroughly they let you have complete control of themselves. One big misconception is also that it's always about sex, when it's not. D/s is often more psychological, and it's always consensual and enjoyable to both parties. It's also one of the more fundamental parts of BDSM because the power dynamic thing is kinda baked into it all, but D/s is also its own thing and to me it seems like Larian wanted to go specifically for that.

Kneeling is one of the most basic D/s things, as is face grabbing. Grabbing someone's face is a control thing; in this case, it's about who controls the kiss and it's so vanilla people who don't do BDSM do it. It's even common in movies and books (and everyone seems to agree it's hot so I don't understand how Larian screwed that up here). It can just look a little different in D/s scenes. Unless you're doing a dub/non con scene, the sub should visibly enjoy it because it's meant to be enjoyable.

And kneeling is one of the the first things you're introduced to in D/s scenes. That's how basic it is. The thing about the kneeling here is that you're doing it for a reward (the kiss). This is where the sub should be ecstatic because they're getting a reward. The moment Tav realizes they're getting kissed they should be beaming in a D/s situation. They've done the right thing, they've "pleased their master" and that's what you aim for as a sub. If your sub looks scared (and you're not doing a scene where that is expected) you immediately stop everything and check on them.

The animations look like they're made by someone who heard "D/s power dynamics" and just put their frankly insulting misconception in the game. It's like someone who thinks kink is weird and gross just assumes that D/s is all about humiliation or something and thought that if you have to kneel you're not going to enjoy it (which makes me think the animations were done by a straight man with no experience or knowledge of BDSM because they're often the ones who think kneeling is supposed to be humiliating). There's a set amount of expressions coded for the characters and they just slapped the scared one in there because they thought it looked best for this. They probably assumed that having Tav not be into it would be good because "normal" people don't enjoy submitting or something. Astarion can enjoy dominating since he's evil, though (because evil=not normal I guess), and maybe that's why they made Tav scared? Because of course you'd be scared of the vampire lord? In reality Tav should look happy. They should be smiling. Astarion should be delighted his partner trusts him (which I reiterate is an essential part of BDSM!) and listens to him.
Portrayals like these are extremely harmful to the kink community since they reinforce the idea that kink is "gross" and abnormal and "normal" people (the player) don't enjoy it. It's inaccurate and disrespectful. They took a dynamic where trust and respect are the core elements and turned it into the complete opposite of what it's supposed to be. If their goal was to show toxic D/s dynamics I guess they succeeded but nowhere in the game did they give a heads up that this is what the dynamic would be. D/s, sure, it fits Astarion, but nothing about his character suggests he'd enjoy an unwilling partner. I'd say the opposite should be true just based on his history. Astarion should be a borderline service dom, at the very least he should want a partner that's into what he's offering.

I don't understand how the devs screwed this up so bad. At least the fix is easy (some changes to animations; nothing needs to be changed from the ground up), so hopefully Larian gets on it. Right now the kisses are triggering, abusive, and harmful to an entire kink community that's already misunderstood and rarely portrayed well. That's an accomplishment in its own right and if the devs wanted that then congrats they succeeded.

Personally I'm gonna play other games until the animations are changed, and I've already sent Larian feedback on this. I recommend others do the same since direct feedback is something they can't ignore and the more direct feedback on this they get, the clearer it will be for them that something needs to change.

I don't know if this is of interest or matters to anyone, but since the topic came up I thought it good to at least offer this information because even from the BDSM side this is really bad, and knowing why should matter in this discussion.

I never once named kissing animations specifically

"kinky and SA.” It's not the animations that make the SA/DA kissing scenes of patch 6, it's Tav's facial expressions directly. It's the facial expressions that turn the D/s scenes into SA scenes.

I'm not against “adding a toggle”, though from my perspective it's illogical and inappropriate in Astarion's story, and it would be much better to make a separate, more appropriate romantic interest for players who are fans of the respective genre. Raphael, for example, I think would be great for this role, given that, it turns out, his entire House of Hope sort of hints at it. I just think content like this should be rated accordingly and have all the necessary warnings. Tav's positive reaction is in no way disturbing because, once Tav's facial expressions were changed to positive, these scenes came to represent normal consensual D/s acceptable in an adult game without any additional warnings. That facial expression reflects my reaction to Astarion, my roleplay, well, and judging by the comments in various threads, the roleplay and reactions of many other players who have been asking for 6 months to be allowed to have a normal facial expression in a romance scene. Those players who don't like D/s, don't like the animations, and happy facial expressions don't make those scenes acceptable are certainly not going to be helped by facial expressions suitable for a “toxic romance” audience. They need other animations. And yes, there's an injustice in that because the game doesn't prepare the player for D/s in any way, the hints of dominance in Astarion's behavior are too non-obvious and can be interpreted in different ways. Astarion doesn't greet with “Hello, I am your master!” and doesn't make his graceful finger gesture demanding to kneel in the very first romantic scene with him. So this category of players was as upset and disappointed after patch 6 as your audience was after it was revealed that with patch 7 the kissing scenes would become happy kissing. And in this case Larian needs to make a two way switch, the facial expressions of patch 6 for your audience, and the kissing of patch 5 for that audience that wants classic romance.

Originally Posted by fylimar
Please talk to Hope in the bodoir and specifically ask her if she was in here before and then we can talk again. Honestly, that is worse, than any face animation in the game and it broke my heart.

Thanks for the info, I will find preservation and try to get that conversation. I must have asked her something else and didn't get that information. Unfortunately I can't remember right now at what point Hope appears in the boudoir, I would appreciate it if you could tell me exactly how to activate that conversation. What I personally don't like at all about the dialog system in BG3 is that the dialog regularly ends after certain lines, you don't manage to ask everything, and you sometimes aren't even aware of what you missed. And it's often unclear which lines are optional and can increase the dialog by giving additional information, and which are reactions or responses and can end the dialog. It seems that you have to save before each dialog and look at different options, and if you just play, half of the plot passes you by.

Originally Posted by fylimar
It is very much hinted, that she was SAed there. Haarlep giving you an ultimatum "Have sex with me or get killed" is pretty much in the SA category. I was pretty shocked,when I encountered him the first time. So for me, it felt like taking back my agency in that room by killing the creep, especially after talking to poor Hope. It's totally ok, if others see it differently, I'm not here to convince anyone, I was agreeing with the other poster about a similar view in this matter. I know that some people like Haarlep - and a lot more like Raphael, who very likely orchestrated Hopes bad experience in there or even participatd.

I'll definitely go through this scene, but now I know what's meant. You sympathize with Hope so much that by killing this creep, you're not only avenging her, you're taking back your agency.

One life, one love - until the world falls down.
veteran
veteran
Marielle : exactly, that was, what I meant smile
And Hope will appear near the pool, before you see Haarlep and get into the conversation with him.

I have a lot of playthroughs and tend to do things differently every time - according to the classical "What would my character do?" ( Old DnD player here)

Last edited by fylimar; 17/08/24 12:39 PM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
E
E
Originally Posted by Marielle
I understand that you like dead dove and not D/s

It feels a little uncomfortable that this is the assumption repeatedly being made here about everyone who didn't see the romance path as BDSM.
The user you're talking to, for example, has said in another thread that the happy expressions are triggering for them, because Tav's new reactions feel like the game signals to them that something they see as abusive behavior should be reacted to in a playful way. (And was told in response that their trigger doesn't exist and they must not know what PTSD even is, so I'm not surprised they didn't want to bring it up again.)

It's the facial expressions that turn the D/s scenes into SA scenes.

So if Tav smiles during Haarlep's scene, would that mean what Haarlep does is not wrong anymore?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Elly
has said in another thread that the happy expressions are triggering for them, because Tav's new reactions feel like the game signals to them that something they see as abusive behavior should be reacted to in a playful way.

What exactly is an abusive behaviour in your opinion? Or what exactly do you see as "abuse" in this scene?

I understand that you like dead dove and not D/s

It feels a little uncomfortable that this is the assumption repeatedly being made here about everyone who didn't see the romance path as BDSM.

That's not true. People have already asked several times for an option to get a romantic or "classic" kiss, for example based on "gentle" in the romance scene, Marielle as well. And of course not everyone, who dislike D/s dynamic wants a "circle of abuse", a lot of people like the classic romantic story, you are right. Dead dove is a tag that warns potential readers or viewers that the fictional work contains problematic themes (like the topic of abuse). Though a few players here have stated that they like to roleplay a "circle of abuse" story.

It's the facial expressions that turn the D/s scenes into SA scenes.

So if Tav smiles during Haarlep's scene, would that mean what Haarlep does is not wrong anymore?

Marielle stated, that they have not played this scene.

"I would, thank God, watch the universe perish without shedding a tear."
A
Banned
Banned
A
I mean, why would you even want exactly the terrified expression on your face when kissing AA, rather than the gentle kisses you've had for 6 months? Then you wouldn't have a problem with roleplaying, obviously.

In the spawn transformation scene, he did not refuse to be gentle with Tav if Tav asked for it. Why should he refuse to kiss Tav tenderly if Tav wants it? I don't see a single reason for refusal. He's had a tender kiss 5 patches in a row, so it's a tender kiss for him absolutely in character and canon. That's how he was originally written: a seducer, not a rapist.

As I've written before, you have the right to demand a reaction that fits your character's personality, but your desire directly affects more than just your roleplay in this matter.

Both gentle and dominant kisses make sense to AA, but Tav could choose either one. AA wouldn't have said no - based on the entire context of the romance with him that I've known for 5 patches.

even though both a happy and an unhappy Tav have always been narratives supported by various dialogue options

The game has dialog options of Tav, who is completely on his side, and Tav, who disapproves of him / wants to leave. There are no options in the dialog suggesting that Tav is a victim of sexual and physical violence, so that the violent kisses and the horror on Tav's face would be justified for this dialog option. It's not like it's throughout Act 3, where you still have the option to break up with him, but also in the epilogue, where that option is no longer available. If I'm wrong, please remind me of these dialog options. A judgmental Tav will say what she thinks to his face in the dialogs after the ritual. The unfortunate Tav only appears in the epilogue, and that, their altercations with the lord look more like spouses arguing than a rapist-victim dynamic, there's no dialog that implies violence between them. The very fact that Astarion came with Tav to the party is already atypical of abusers who try to shut victims out of contact with family and friends. “Have fun with your so-called friends.” Yes, certainly Tav can be miserable, stuck in a relationship she doesn't want, but the fear of punishment isn't there. I don't deny that not being able to break up with the lord is a serious problem for Tav, who wants it, that the relationship then becomes a trap, but I don't understand the logic why fear and violence should be part of these dialog options by default. None of the dialog in the epilogue hints at this. It's clear from the dialogs that Tav lives in a sort of golden cage, and AA cares for Tav to the extent that he understands it. Doesn't torture Tav or anything like that. In fact, only the kisses themselves show violence, which wasn't the case before patch 6. Is that the reason you want to keep them?

And actually, you know, the topic of abuse is a pretty serious one, and I don't think kinky kissing is exactly the presentation that the topic deserves. If Larian wanted to show the “cycle of abuse” in this way, it's a questionable way to do it. Although the fact that they changed Tav's reaction to consent suggests that they weren't that serious about it. And it's all the more strange to give such content on Valentine's Day, half a goal after the game's release.

E
E
Originally Posted by AnnaMyrk
I mean, why would you even want exactly the terrified expression on your face when kissing AA, rather than the gentle kisses you've had for 6 months? Then you wouldn't have a problem with roleplaying, obviously.

In the spawn transformation scene, he did not refuse to be gentle with Tav if Tav asked for it. Why should he refuse to kiss Tav tenderly if Tav wants it? I don't see a single reason for refusal.

I'll copy what I told someone else here: I know there is a choice in the scene where he turns Tav, but that's a different situation than asking for a kiss, before Tav is his spawn, and not a repeatable action.
Yes, AA used to have the same kiss as Spawn. Back then, it made sense Tav would react to them the same way, as it was the same kiss. It wouldn't have affected anyone's roleplay because unlike with the new animations, it was not a kiss Tav would have had obvious reasons to react in different ways to. Deciding for every player that their Tav would have that kind of reaction to his kisses, after six months of showing them as consistently confused and unsettled, would ruin many players' idea of who their characters are, including mine.

As I've written before, you have the right to demand a reaction that fits your character's personality, but your desire directly affects more than just your roleplay in this matter.

Both gentle and dominant kisses make sense to AA, but Tav could choose either one. AA wouldn't have said no - based on the entire context of the romance with him that I've known for 5 patches.

I could say the same thing about the Patch 7 change and wanting Tav to smile. And I don't agree that AA would like being told how to kiss Tav.

And actually, you know, the topic of abuse is a pretty serious one, and I don't think kinky kissing is exactly the presentation that the topic deserves.

You don't have to tell me that. It's also exactly why many of the people asking for an option to keep the old expressions here don't want it to be presented as a kink, if I'm not mistaken. Which is what a switch to the new expressions for everyone would do.

enthusiast
enthusiast
And actually, you know, the topic of abuse is a pretty serious one, and I don't think kinky kissing is exactly the presentation that the topic deserves.

You don't have to tell me that. It's also exactly why many of the people asking for an option to keep the old expressions here don't want it to be presented as a kink, if I'm not mistaken. Which is what a switch to the new expressions for everyone would do.

Again my question, especally toward you now:

Originally Posted by Zayir
What exactly is an abusive behaviour in your opinion? Or what exactly do you see as "abuse" in this scene [patch 7] ?

I am serious, and what do you not want to see as a kink? You only said "it".

E
E

What exactly is an abusive behaviour in your opinion? Or what exactly do you see as "abuse" in this scene?

I was quoting someone else, but probably the same things you also see as abuse now, but wouldn't anymore if Tav's expressions changed.
You think Tav smiling would change the meaning of the scenes. Others may still see them the same way they did before, as nothing AA does will change, only now without their Tavs being allowed to react in a way that feels in character or appropriate to them.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I was quoting someone else, but probably the same things you also see as abuse now, but wouldn't anymore if Tav's expressions changed.
You think Tav smiling would change the meaning of the scenes. Others may still see them the same way they did before, as nothing AA does will change, only now without their Tavs being allowed to react in a way that feels in character or appropriate to them.

And do you want to see abuse or a romantic kiss?

E
E

I think you misunderstand me. My point is that not everyone will start seeing something they considered abusive before as romantic because their character suddenly has to react to it with smiles. They don't want it decided for them that this is how their character would react. It's not a matter of "wanting to see abuse", it's that that's already what they see, and they may not be comfortable with their characters having to smile in reaction.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I think you misunderstand me. My point is that not everyone will start seeing something they considered abusive before as romantic because their character suddenly has to react to it with smiles. They don't want it decided for them that this is how their character would react. It's not a matter of "wanting to see abuse", it's that that's already what they see, and they may not be comfortable with their characters having to smile in reaction.

It was just a question. Would you see then the consensual scene as not romantic enough or appropiate for a consensual romance? Which exact animations of Astarion do you consider as abusive or not appropiate ? Would another and more romantic kiss then solve this problem? Could you live with such a compromise?

but probably the same things you also see as abuse now, but wouldn't anymore if Tav's expressions changed.
I doubt that. You haven't stated yet, what exactly you find abusive in the kiss. So, what is it?

I do. That's called consensus, the be-all and end-all. If you think, a smile is not enough for showing consent, maybe it's a thing for Feedback. I haven't seen this scene, but everyone who has seen them, stated, it is consensual now, and Tav is enjoying Astarion as well as Astarion is enjoying Tav, though there was also the opinion, that there is still a little concern on Tav.

My point is that not everyone will start seeing something they considered abusive before as romantic because their character suddenly has to react to it with smiles. They don't want it decided for them that this is how their character would react. It's not a matter of "wanting to see abuse", it's that that's already what they see, and they may not be comfortable with their characters having to smile in reaction.

If "you or another player" sees abusive behavior towards your character, will you/the player repeatedly press the requirement for a kiss? For those who are not happy with this, the game gives you the option to break up.
Unfortunately, we cannot control Tav's emotions throughout the game:
(Jergal, barn, etc).
If you see an offensive path, does it stop being one if Tav starts smiling? Unfortunately, on the contrary, for those who see a different path, it's hard to visualize him with faces of horror.

illeaillas-сан писал в отзыве о закрытом бета тесте патча 7:
"I am involved in testing. I want to say that the corrected animations of Tav when kissing Astarion are now good, and I can imagine them both in a happy couple and in a couple where Tav is unhappy. I don't think you should worry about it. Tav is smiling, but you can also see a little fear on Tav's face, discontent. This will satisfy all the players. you can perfectly imagine the right path for this story. "
The test participant says the animation is appropriate for all sides of the "conflict".

Tell me, have you seen the kissing animation? Are you a participant in the closed beta test?

From a technical point of view, how can you imagine implementing and being able to leave multiple sets of animations of Tav's face as a reaction to the same event?

E
E
So you would see then a consensual scene as abuse?

No, that's still not what I'm saying. What I mean is that to players who don't consider it romantic, it wouldn't suddenly become romantic because their Tav has to smile.

I'll use the Haarlep example again: If Tav smiles during Harleep's scene, does that mean the context changes and what Haarlep does is not wrong?

enthusiast
enthusiast
No, that's still not what I'm saying. What I mean is that to players who don't consider it romantic, it wouldn't suddenly become romantic because their Tav has to smile.

I'll use the Haarlep example again: If Tav smiles during Harleep's scene, does that mean the context changes and what Haarlep does is not wrong?

I doubt that this scene is supposed to be romantic, it is supposed to be *spicy* and *enjoyable*. I can't say for Harleep, I don't know this scene. But if two characters or adult persons consent to each other in a kiss, they may kiss each other the way they like, it is not "wrong". If Tav kneels in front of Astarion in consent and enjoy being grabbed and kissed, it is not wrong.
It is understandable, that people, who don't like, know or misjudge D/s may not like this (actually they shouldn't submit to him in his romance scene then, when they don't like their character to kneel, it is mandatory for contuining the romance), but that's why people (and I supported them) have asked also for an optional romantic (patch 5) kiss. Though consensual kneeling was always part of the romance story.

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
I'll try to clarify why the scene can still be unnerving (or even more so) for some people even now, but I'll also say: I find it rather unnecessary to incessantly question someone trying to look for some sort of fault rather than just taking them at their word and discuss the feedback. It comes across as not believing them rather than wanting to explore the topic.

So, to explain the dissonance:

Serious content warning for imagery of violence

For the sake of helping it come across I'm going to have to invoke way more exaggerated imagery, just to explain why some could be unnerved. Understand that said imagery and topics are used just to help illustrate the issue, not in relation to the debate. I'm not comparing what Astarion does to a murder or the circumstances the kiss happens in to a murder, I'm trying to explain why the happy faces might be kind of icky for some, so please don't fall into a discussion over this.
Basically, imagine if there was a scene where instead it's Tav getting murdered, even though you asked for something else (similarly to how you're asking for a kiss, not for kneeling or any sort of kinky play). The scene plays as you'd imagine and it's a pretty brutal depiction at that. Except Tav is enthusiastically smiling all along. Uh, is it consensual now? Maybe? The thing is, people will feel that's a disturbing reaction for someone to have to something like that being done to their character if that's not how they envision them, and Tav might even come across as drugged or brainwashed.

Similarly, I'll repeat what I said before in regards to the topic that's popped up again here: Strangers assuming and imposing sexual interests onto you is uncomfortable for reasons that I hope seem obvious, and has been done a few times here and in past threads. Please don't automatically associate people who want the change reverted or made into a milder expression with enjoying non-con or dead dove, unless they've explicitly stated as much.

E
E
Originally Posted by Mirmi
The test participant says the animation is appropriate for all sides of the "conflict".

Tell me, have you seen the kissing animation?

I have, and I don't think they leave any room for interpretation. Like I said on the first page of this thread, the original expressions looked more neutral to me than the new ones.

From a technical point of view, how can you imagine implementing and being able to leave multiple sets of animations of Tav's face as a reaction to the same event?

By flagging one of the dialogue options in the script that show Tav is unhappy/afraid. I suggested a few options for this on page 2. Choosing one or more of them could lead to Tav's expressed fear, doubt or uncertainty also being reflected in the kiss cinematics by giving them the original expressions.

If "you or another player" sees abusive behavior towards your character, will you/the player repeatedly press the requirement for a kiss? For those who are not happy with this, the game gives you the option to break up.

Tav has the option to try to break up, and then walk it back and say "Sorry! I didn't mean it." Playing a Tav who is unhappy but still stays in the relationship has always been possible.

If you see an offensive path, does it stop being one if Tav starts smiling? Unfortunately, on the contrary, for those who see a different path, it's hard to visualize him with faces of horror.

If there was a choice between the new and original expressions, no one would have to visualize something other than what is depicted. This thread wasn't asking for everyone to have to keep playing with the Patch 6 expressions. Just for a way to choose between them, so everyone can keep the story they've crafted with their characters.

I know there is a choice in the scene where he turns Tav, but that's a different situation than asking for a kiss, before Tav is his spawn, and not a repeatable action.
I'd think that asking him for a kiss every time, and having the overly exaggerated frightened faces every time, would be very illogical, precisely if it's a repeatable action that you continue to ask for. Or? The option to just not ask for any kisses at all is there if your character is not happy(?). Why would a Tav/Durge keep asking for kisses over and over again and then keep making the over-the-top horror faces. I'd think that to really make that work, you'd have to use your imagination and add your own roleplay. It also shouldn't make a difference if Tav/Durge is a "spawn" because they still have the tadpole in their head and AA can't control them. I think Larian took these things into consideration and that's why they've now made the decision to change things. There's no compelling evidence in the game for me that AA can forcibly mind control Tav/Durge, or take control of their words/actions. Maybe that could be a more impactful addition for your roleplay than facial expressions on a kiss that was added for Valentine's Day?
Also, if Larian adds a toggle for this then I want a different option for kisses between AA and Dark Urge. Let Durge bite Astarion back, mix their blood, etc. The kisses with the exaggerated cartoonishly frightened faces are not fitting at all for a Dark Urge, imo. In fact I never thought that they're fitting for a character who is always portrayed as the strong leader of the group.

(...)presented as a kink... Which is what a switch to the new expressions for everyone would do. / It feels a little uncomfortable that this is the assumption repeatedly being made here about everyone who didn't see the romance path as BDSM.
No. It would not overtly turn it into a 'kink' for me. And I don't see it that way with the adjusted facial expressions. Sometimes one partner in a relationship is more dominant than the other but that doesn't mean it's automatically kinky. I think it's going too far to say that it would reduce it down to a kink for *everyone.* But it's nice for those who do. And I think it would be fair game for Larian to add fanservice kisses in a "love is in the air" Valentine's kissing patch. How would you describe Minthara's kisses, do you think they're kinky? Or do they show someone as dominant, passionate, etc.?

I'm not against “adding a toggle”, though from my perspective it's illogical and inappropriate in Astarion's story, and it would be much better to make a separate, more appropriate romantic interest for players who are fans of the respective genre. Raphael, for example, I think would be great for this role, given that, it turns out, his entire House of Hope sort of hints at it. I just think content like this should be rated accordingly and have all the necessary warnings. Tav's positive reaction is in no way disturbing because, once Tav's facial expressions were changed to positive, these scenes came to represent normal consensual D/s acceptable in an adult game without any additional warnings.
I agree with all of this. 100%
I'm one of the people who didn't like all of the elements of the Patch 6 kiss animations, but it seems that Larian is keeping those animations the way that they are. I'd have liked to have at least one vanilla/classic romantic kiss in the rotation but it seems they're not changing that despite feedback, so if I want that then I'll have to use a mod, too.

My point is that not everyone will start seeing something they considered abusive before as romantic because their character suddenly has to react to it with smiles.
My guess is that Larian doesn't want to show
DV/SA/abuse
in the sensitive/intimate elements of the romantic relationships in the game now, which is why they're making efforts to change things with the facial expressions currently.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by jinetemoranco
I'll try to clarify why the scene can still be unnerving (or even more so) for some people even now, but I'll also say: I find it rather unnecessary to incessantly question someone trying to look for some sort of fault rather than just taking them at their word and discuss the feedback. It comes across as not believing them rather than wanting to explore the topic.

So, to explain the dissonance:

Serious content warning for imagery of violence

For the sake of helping it come across I'm going to have to invoke way more exaggerated imagery, just to explain why some could be unnerved. Understand that said imagery and topics are used just to help illustrate the issue, not in relation to the debate. I'm not comparing what Astarion does to a murder or the circumstances the kiss happens in to a murder, I'm trying to explain why the happy faces might be kind of icky for some, so please don't fall into a discussion over this.
Basically, imagine if there was a scene where instead it's Tav getting murdered, even though you asked for something else (similarly to how you're asking for a kiss, not for kneeling or any sort of kinky play). The scene plays as you'd imagine and it's a pretty brutal depiction at that. Except Tav is enthusiastically smiling all along. Uh, is it consensual now? Maybe? The thing is, people will feel that's a disturbing reaction for someone to have to something like that being done to their character if that's not how they envision them, and Tav might even come across as drugged or brainwashed.

Ermm... what? You're giving an example of asking for something and getting something else in return. In the scene with Astarion you're asking for a kiss and you're getting a kiss. The fact it's a rougher kind of kiss fits AA's personality and the new dynamic in the relationship. Him asking you to kneel and that insight check are also clearly indicating you're in for some kinky play. What would make it flow even better is if we could choose the type of smooching, like we could in the turning scene. Fortunately, we can thanks one amazing mod, though I still miss that option in the actual game. That scene proves that, while AA is clearly dominant, he wants Tav to also have a say in how things proceed. He wouldn't keep kissing them if he saw that they are miserable.

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
@Ametris you'll find that, while yes, you asked for a kiss, also getting grabbed by the throat is a pretty big extra where there might be a dissonance in the expression with the action being performed on the character. It's not the same as, say, Wyll doing a little dance before kissing you. It evokes certain aggressive imagery, that while okay if it's been more thoroughly negotiated, can still be disturbing. I don't disagree that it reflects AA's personality. As I mentioned, I wasn't looking into a discussion for why my example is not a perfect metaphor: I was trying to get across why certain expressions to certain actions can still be jarring.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by jinetemoranco
@Ametris you'll find that, while yes, you asked for a kiss, also getting grabbed by the throat is a pretty big extra where there might be a dissonance in the expression with the action being performed on the character. It's not the same as, say, Wyll doing a little dance before kissing you. It evokes certain aggressive imagery, that while okay if it's been more thoroughly negotiated, can still be disturbing. I don't disagree that it reflects AA's personality. As I mentioned, I wasn't looking into a discussion for why my example is a perfect metaphor: I was trying to get across why certain expressions to certain actions can still be jarring.

He also grabs Tav in the turning scene when you choose rough play. It's nothing new.

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard