Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
E
E
Originally Posted by Ametris
Him asking you to kneel and that insight check are also clearly indicating you're in for some kinky play.

Except not necessarily. It's possible to fail that insight check, and to refuse at first, after which the only way to continue the relationship is to choose the option "Give in and kneel". (Tav's face in this scene looks confused, uncertain and slightly upset too. They're not smirking or grinning like they would be in the new animations.)

E
E
Originally Posted by jinetemoranco
@Ametris you'll find that, while yes, you asked for a kiss, also getting grabbed by the throat is a pretty big extra where there might be a dissonance in the expression with the action being performed on the character. It's not the same as, say, Wyll doing a little dance before kissing you. It evokes certain aggressive imagery, that while okay if it's been more thoroughly negotiated, can still be disturbing. I don't disagree that it reflects AA's personality. As I mentioned, I wasn't looking into a discussion for why my example is a perfect metaphor: I was trying to get across why certain expressions to certain actions can still be jarring.

He also grabs Tav in the turning scene when you choose rough play. It's nothing new.

But Tav gets the same kisses regardless of the option they chose. It would be new to a Tav who chose "Be gentle, if you can", making the enthusiastic reactions even more out of character for some players' characters.

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
@Ametris Yes, and and to get that scene you had to say "Oh, come on, let it hurt.", very different from just asking for a kiss. Said scene also has way milder expressions, which might be a bit inadequate considering Tav is 100% into it and consenting to it, but I find them less goofy than the new face for the throat grab.

About Haarlep, if you haven't gone through the game, don't watch the spoiler:
The scene in town after visiting Haarlep just has options for how your Tav reacts to this with a choice of optional lines. He:
а. Enjoys being "used" in this way. And smiles during the process.
б. He doesn't like it
And as far as I know, this reaction of Tav in the game has been present for a long time.
To implement this in the AA kiss, we need to write either as in the night of conversion, where depending on the choice of option, there is a different animation.
Or prescribe new lines followed by different animations:
а. Kiss me so that I'm scared (similar)
б. Kiss me gently
But, then again, isn't that AA's instruction on how he should kiss Tav?

Leaving the flag in the middle of the game (when you have disagreed or told AA that it scares you) to be triggered later can cause an error because it is left unclosed, as when the animation follows immediately and closes the flag. So in the game, most of the results follow immediately after the selection. Moreover, now the kiss animation triggers before turn night, which is illogical. And this is not a norm, but a bug that follows immediately after the result: you have taken the AA path- AA kiss animation.
Such a bug was already in the game, which eventually broke the whole Act 3(when the steals were not closed in the game and remained unclosed, cluttering the game and eventually breaking it).

but I'll also say: I find it rather unnecessary to incessantly question someone trying to look for some sort of fault rather than just taking them at their word and discuss the feedback. It comes across as not believing them rather than wanting to explore the topic.

On the contrary, when I ask a question, I try to understand the person's point of view, not to hurt them or show that I don't believe them. Perhaps they will give me a point of view that I will take into consideration and change my opinion.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'll try to clarify why the scene can still be unnerving (or even more so) for some people even now, but I'll also say: I find it rather unnecessary to incessantly question someone trying to look for some sort of fault rather than just taking them at their word and discuss the feedback. It comes across as not believing them rather than wanting to explore the topic.

So, to explain the dissonance:

Serious content warning for imagery of violence

For the sake of helping it come across I'm going to have to invoke way more exaggerated imagery, just to explain why some could be unnerved. Understand that said imagery and topics are used just to help illustrate the issue, not in relation to the debate. I'm not comparing what Astarion does to a murder or the circumstances the kiss happens in to a murder, I'm trying to explain why the happy faces might be kind of icky for some, so please don't fall into a discussion over this.
Basically, imagine if there was a scene where instead it's Tav getting murdered, even though you asked for something else (similarly to how you're asking for a kiss, not for kneeling or any sort of kinky play). The scene plays as you'd imagine and it's a pretty brutal depiction at that. Except Tav is enthusiastically smiling all along. Uh, is it consensual now? Maybe? The thing is, people will feel that's a disturbing reaction for someone to have to something like that being done to their character if that's not how they envision them, and Tav might even come across as drugged or brainwashed.

Ermm... what? You're giving an example of asking for something and getting something else in return. In the scene with Astarion you're asking for a kiss and you're getting a kiss. The fact it's a rougher kind of kiss fits AA's personality and the new dynamic in the relationship. Him asking you to kneel and that insight check are also clearly indicating you're in for some kinky play. What would make it flow even better is if we could choose the type of smooching, like we could in the turning scene. Fortunately, we can thanks one amazing mod, though I still miss that option in the actual game. That scene proves that, while AA is clearly dominant, he wants Tav to also have a say in how things proceed. He wouldn't keep kissing them if he saw that they are miserable.
@Ametris you'll find that, while yes, you asked for a kiss, also getting grabbed by the throat is a pretty big extra where there might be a dissonance in the expression with the action being performed on the character. It's not the same as, say, Wyll doing a little dance before kissing you. It evokes certain aggressive imagery, that while okay if it's been more thoroughly negotiated, can still be disturbing. I don't disagree that it reflects AA's personality. As I mentioned, I wasn't looking into a discussion for why my example is a perfect metaphor: I was trying to get across why certain expressions to certain actions can still be jarring.

He also grabs Tav in the turning scene when you choose rough play. It's nothing new.
1000 % agree on Ametris. You ask for a kiss, and you get to see a kiss. Larian decided to go for the D/s dynamics. You consent to submit in the kneeling scene in his romance. Still, if people don't like to see D/s dynamics in the kiss, I would support them to get the romantic kisses, when they choose "gentle". There but should never stay an SV scene in this romance - for many reasons - especially not with BDSM elements, to not further harm the BDSM community, when people already misjudge BDSM or D/s dynamics or find them "icky".
I find it highly problematic if people, who don't like D/s dynamic or find a consensual kink play "icky" (quote) or at worst already disturbing, would then see the same scene with the exact same BDSM elements, but as a depiction of SV

sexual violence / abuse
instead, which then would even reinforce the assumption that BDSM would be disgusting or at worst criminal. This would be disrecpectful toward the BDSM community. I find it concerning, that some people find such an idea the right thing. Let us not get targeted by hatred or further be misjudged.

"I would, thank God, watch the universe perish without shedding a tear."
Originally Posted by Flooter
Originally Posted by neprostoman
On a side note, I can't understand such hyperfocus on one aspect of the game, when there is plenty to like. If something feels out of place, I don't lose my shit
Sometimes, living beings need to “lose their shit” in order to survive. Sometimes, that reaction is more harmful than helpful. It is what it is.

This (and similar) thread(s) can help posters process their thoughts and feelings. Hopefully, you don’t need to understand them to see that popping in with fecal imagery serves no good purpose.

I’m asking you what I asked of everyone else: Do not belittle anyone’s opinion; do not lash out at all.

Thank you : )

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Elly
Him asking you to kneel and that insight check are also clearly indicating you're in for some kinky play.

Except not necessarily. It's possible to fail that insight check, and to refuse at first, after which the only way to continue the relationship is to choose the option "Give in and kneel". (Tav's face in this scene looks confused, uncertain and slightly upset too. They're not smirking or grinning like they would be in the new animations.)

Even if you fail that check, the fact you have to kneel is already suggesting he wants that kind of dynamic. There's also a scene with Abdirak and his romantic lines where he enjoyes seeing Tav bound. There's also a special scene with Durge where he's enjoying tying them up. I missed some of these scenes, but I could still see the writing on the wall.

But Tav gets the same kisses regardless of the option they chose. It would be new to a Tav who chose "Be gentle, if you can", making the enthusiastic reactions even more out of character for some players' characters.

@Ametris Yes, and and to get that scene you had to say "Oh, come on, let it hurt.", very different from just asking for a kiss. Said scene also has way milder expressions, which might be a bit inadequate considering Tav is 100% into it and consenting to it, but I find them less goofy than the new face for the throat grab.

Hence why me and other users have been asking to be able to choose rough and gentle kisses to fit two kinds of d/s dynamic that were introduced in the turning scene.

E
E
Originally Posted by Mirmi
The scene in town after visiting Haarlep just has options for how your Tav reacts to this with a choice of optional lines. He:
а. Enjoys being "used" in this way. And smiles during the process.
б. He doesn't like it
And as far as I know, this reaction of Tav in the game has been present for a long time.
To implement this in the AA kiss, we need to write either as in the night of conversion, where depending on the choice of option, there is a different animation.
Or prescribe new lines followed by different animations:
а. Kiss me so that I'm scared (similar)
б. Kiss me gently
But, then again, isn't that AA's instruction on how he should kiss Tav?

Leaving the flag in the middle of the game (when you have disagreed or told AA that it scares you) to be triggered later can cause an error because it is left unclosed, as when the animation follows immediately and closes the flag. So in the game, most of the results follow immediately after the selection. Moreover, now the kiss animation triggers before turn night, which is illogical. And this is not a norm, but a bug that follows immediately after the result: you have taken the AA path- AA kiss animation.
Such a bug was already in the game, which eventually broke the whole Act 3(when the steals were not closed in the game and remained unclosed, cluttering the game and eventually breaking it).

I'm not sure I'm following here. There are lots of flags in the game that lead to other events triggering later, and they can trigger repeatedly. For example, Astarion being flagged as the romanced companion is what gives Tav access to the romantic dialogue, including kisses. This doesn't go away after you chose the options once.
I'm not suggesting different ways of asking for a kiss. What I mean is the game acknowledging that Tav is scared or unhappy via flagged dialogue options, and having those flags lead to the original kiss cinematics being played whenever Tav asks for a kiss.

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Once again, I was just trying to illustrate why some people can find the scene unnerving or to still have certain undertones if they don't feel that's their character, for whatever reason. I'm not trying to get into the depths of the debate again. Adding extra options is always a welcome change, if only unlikely given that Larian is pretty much done with the game.

E
E
Even if you fail that check, the fact you have to kneel is already suggesting he wants that kind of dynamic. There's also a scene with Abdirak and his romantic lines where he enjoyes seeing Tav bound. There's also a special scene with Durge where he's enjoying tying them up. I missed some of these scenes, but I could still see the writing on the wall.

I don't disagree with that on his side. What I mean is that it doesn't make sense for every Tav to be suddenly depicted as enthusiastically into and prepared for everything, when before they were consistently allowed to react with confusion or uncertainty.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Yes, the only way to contuine the relationship with Astarion is to submit and kneel. Point. That's the reason why there are 2 break up options before and the game is hinting, where the relationship will go. 2 Break-up options for all those, who don't like the D/s vibe and Astarion being dominant or to kneel voluntarily. You can kick him in the balls, if you don't like to *humiliate* yourself (you = your Tav) and kneel. And no, Tav isn't upset there. So if you consent and kneel, the game assumes you like this. "Abuse" or "Astarion being utterly evil to his romance partner" is not canon. If you regret it afterwards, the game gives you the possibility to break up after as you can break up with any other companion, if you don't want to consent to your partner (don't love them) anymore. That's game mechanics.

I'm not sure I'm following here. There are lots of flags in the game that lead to other events triggering later, and they can trigger repeatedly. For example, Astarion being flagged as the romanced companion is what gives Tav access to the romantic dialogue, including kisses. This doesn't go away after you chose the options once.

You're right, the game does have a "delayed result" depending on the player's choices.
What I'm saying is that the choice and the immediate outcome of the choice is an easy way to write for a game.
Writing choice and consequence under a certain condition is more complicated and can cause bugs that the studio doesn't have much time to test.
For those examples that exist in the game, the game was made for quite a long time, then players submit bug reports. There was an opportunity to spell out and handle all the nuances.

addict
addict

I don't disagree with that on his side. What I mean is that it doesn't make sense for every Tav to be suddenly depicted as enthusiastically into and prepared for everything, when before they were consistently allowed to react with confusion or uncertainty.

I guess it's a game limitation. I would have liked there to be an extra scene where they have a conversation about it. For me it would have worked best in the turning scene, where Tav can argue a bit after a second 'no' instead of experiencing a forced breakup. I also mentioned before how I find the whole exchange unrealistic and cartoonish."No. Yes. No. 'k, bye." Honestly, who talks like that? I played as a female drow and I was certainly missing a possibility to kick a fuss and go high and mighty 'drow women never kneel in front of others' but I had to chalk it up to Larian's poor development of act 3 reactivities and write extra dialogues in my head.

journeyman
journeyman
I have, and I don't think they leave any room for interpretation. Like I said on the first page of this thread, the original expressions looked more neutral to me than the new ones.
The question is also whether you saw screenshots or videos. Because screenshots don't show the full range of emotions. Screenshots can be placed advantageously, they can be taken out of context, so to speak. If you saw a video and weren't satisfied with what you saw, that's a different matter. I really see different possibilities for interpretation there. But that's me, others may have different opinions.
And you need to watch with your Tav, because it greatly affects the impression. This is just advice to wait for the patch.

E
E
For me it would have worked best in the turning scene, where Tav can argue a bit after a second 'no' instead of experiencing a forced breakup.

Agreed, I wish we could get more insight if Tav pushes back, instead of just the short back and forth.

I don't think that's true, at least not from what I've seen. In my game I choose "No" first, and then "Give in and kneel," and she doesn't have an upset face at all. Her face looks neutral and curious to find out about what's going to happen. The only time she has a tense face for a moment is when he first bites into the neck.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I guess it's a game limitation. I would have liked there to be an extra scene where they have a conversation about it. For me it would have worked best in the turning scene, where Tav can argue a bit after a second 'no' instead of experiencing a forced breakup. I also mentioned how I find the whole exchange unrealistic and cartoonish."No. Yes. No. 'k, bye." Honestly, who talks like that? I played as a female drow and I was certainly missing a possibility to kick a fuss and go high and mighty 'drow women never kneel in front of others' but I had to chalk it up to Larian's poor development of act 3 reactivities and write extra dialogues in my head.

Hahaha. Maybe it should be tense and kinky, that's what I felt, I really enjoyed this scene (my favourite one! I admit it), when I choose "no" and he said a simple, dominant and playful "yes!" So for that, it was great. But the break-up scene could have been written better or having the possibility to talk about it.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Zayir

I guess it's a game limitation. I would have liked there to be an extra scene where they have a conversation about it. For me it would have worked best in the turning scene, where Tav can argue a bit after a second 'no' instead of experiencing a forced breakup. I also mentioned how I find the whole exchange unrealistic and cartoonish."No. Yes. No. 'k, bye." Honestly, who talks like that? I played as a female drow and I was certainly missing a possibility to kick a fuss and go high and mighty 'drow women never kneel in front of others' but I had to chalk it up to Larian's poor development of act 3 reactivities and write extra dialogues in my head.

Hahaha. Maybe it should be tense and kinky, I really enjoyed this scene, when I choose "no" and he said a simple, dominant and playful "yes!" So for that, it was great. But the break-up scene could have been written better or having the possibility to talk about it.

The back and forth is fine initially, it is kind of funny in a way, and I also liked his "yes" and that smug smile, but the breakup scene afterwards is just poorly written. At that moment they should drop the game and talk like real adults. To me it's the same limitation as in the post ascension scene where you can only be negative and naggy about something you actually helped him with.

E
E
Originally Posted by illeaillas-san
The question is also whether you saw screenshots or videos. Because screenshots don't show the full range of emotions. Screenshots can be placed advantageously, they can be taken out of context, so to speak. If you saw a video and weren't satisfied with what you saw, that's a different matter. I really see different possibilities for interpretation there. But that's me, others may have different opinions.
And you need to watch with your Tav, because it greatly affects the impression. This is just advice to wait for the patch.

I've seen the full animations for all three kisses, yes. They may look slightly different on different Tavs, but (in my opinion) they don't leave any room for interpretation. I've watched them many times and tried to look at them differently, but I really don't recognize my character in them.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zayir
I really enjoyed this scene (my favourite one! I admit it), when I choose "no" and he said a simple, dominant and playful "yes!" So for that, it was great. But the break-up scene could have been written better or having the possibility to talk about it.

Heh, I also really liked that! shadowheartgiggle

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard