Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Zayir
I knew when you created this thread that you will bring this up. It is easy, if a game contains

(sensitive topic)
sexual violence (Depictions of rape or other sexual acts)

it needs to get a content warning. If the scene does not depict it and it is consensual, it does not need this content warning. Oh man smile
That means if a person get triggered by a consensual scene, which does not contain:

(sensitive topic)

that it is his personal trigger, which doesn't need a rating content warning. Clear now? Abdirak is very much consensual, overly consensual to be honest, and not

(sensitive topic)
wink

Well, I guess you are a divination mage then wink . It is not the focus of this topic, but since we discussed it with
sexual violence
in mind in that topic, it's not surprisingly to come up here - the whole argumentation of you AA fans was, that it was triggering. But please don't make this in another discussion about the pros and cons of that, I think we cleard it up, that different things can be triggering for different people. It's ok, if you say, why it is triggering for you, which I guess, you did in your post and imo there is no talking away a trigger. People are different and have different expereinces, so it is ok.

But I think, you are not seeing the whole picture - granted, that topic of
SA
is very easily triggering, but so can be the scene how you get Us or the whole of Reithwin for different reasons.
Plain violence or body horror can be as much a trigger as SA

As for Haarlep - that is clearly not
consentual. Your character has been drugged with incubus spittle - same stuff that makes Nessa like Yurgir in THAT way. If you point it out to her, she is beyond angry, because she lost her body autonomy. It still is a form of SA. You can roleplay your chaarcter as not caring about it or being ok with it, but the undertone is pretty clear and it is one of the scenes I often see come up as triggering, since most people at least encounter Haarlep and his proposition. And afterwards, your body gets used by Haarlep and you feel it every time. Even Astarion pities you at that point. I'm ok with it being in there to drive home the very dark side of having dealings with devils and incubi and other citizens from hell, but my question was if scenes like that would need a trigger warning, since it is SA and you see all of it

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Trigger warnings aren't just about being uncomfortable, they're specifically about ptsd and I don't feel like the general public should be the dominant voice in discussion with regard to that.

I really agree with this. There is a difference there.

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
As for the point someone brought up abouthow other media doesn't have trigger warnings, I think games are kind of unique in that they're so much longer than any other form of media and so they can fit in things that might not be implicitly part of the premise. For example I wouldn't go into this game assuming sexual assault would come up, whereas In a book or novel when you know the premise, you can pretty reliably know what could be included. Frankly I wouldn't be against trigger warnings being included a bit more liberally in other media. I think the most important thing though is to have them up-front so people know what they're getting into and can refund/not buy to begin with. I myself am speaking as someone who hates horror and never watches it, and is probably too sensitive. I once saw a description of the plot of a horror movie on youtube and it haunted me for weeks after. Same with reading the TV tropes page for that movie Us. So that's the constitution of the person making this argument.

Relatedly, I consistently see way more people arguing against trigger warning than I ever see arguing for them, and that makes me... uneasy for whatever reason. LIke, I don't know that I've ever actually seen someone online argue for trigger warnings on stuff, I just know it's an argument that broadly exists.

You know, I agree with you a lot. It makes me uneasy as well. I guess the reason is that trigger warnings are often misunderstood. They are there to prevent PTSD of common triggers, often DV, V and SV. It is not about censoring, it is about preventing other players getting hurt. And remember again PTSD is not the same as being uncomfortable. It is anxiety attacks, again and again, for weeks, not sleeping, going back over and over to a violent nightmare a person has experienced in real life. It takes time and even theraphy and medicine to get out of. An elaborate, unexpected scene showing real life SV or DV should have warnings. In any game.

For the record I am a horror game fan, I'm looking forward to playing all the scary games this fall. So it's not about just being sensitive. I do avoid games with extensive and graphic SV, like for instance Outlast. And I think Outlast could have described their warnings a bit more than they have done on Steam. Some games do that, and it is appriciated.

Hope it is not too off-topic.. I'm talking in a very general sense here! galehappy

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by fylimar
the whole argumentation of you AA fans was, that it was triggering. But please don't make this in another discussion about the pros and cons of that, I think we cleard it up, that different things can be triggering for different people. It's ok, if you say, why it is triggering for you, which I guess, you did in your post and imo there is no talking away a trigger. People are different and have different expereinces, so it is ok.

But I think, you are not seeing the whole picture - granted, that topic of
SA
is very easily triggering, but so can be the scene how you get Us or the whole of Reithwin for different reasons.
Plain violence or body horror can be as much a trigger as SA

@ Fylimar: You're very much predictable, that's all. I will not discuss with you, what different people see as triggering or not. I made my statement, what the official content warning is. If you think the Harleep scene is

(sensitive topic)
a depiction of rape or other sexual violent acts

which needs a content warning, you are free to let it reviewed by experts.

I kindly ask you *all*, also for the sake of a good together in the community, not to disparage the patch 6 scene in this thread, which caused to a lot of PTSD and depressions. It is inappropiate to compare it to scenes like the Abdirak scene. Thanks.

Originally Posted by GrayGhost
So the opinion of the average player who knows they don't need one should probably be weighted a touch lighter. Trigger warnings aren't just about being uncomfortable, they're specifically about ptsd and I don't feel like the general public should be the dominant voice in discussion with regard to that.

This.

--

To add to Fylimar for the comparision: "violence"

Yes, and this game has a content warning for "violence" for that very reason in their rating. But there are also in-game mechanics that prevent people from coming across some violent depictions unprepared, for example the giving answers or also for some scenes being more or less offscreen. The "Us" scene you mentioned, you are interacting with Us beforehand and can leave, the player is prepared what will happen if you choose the answer to remove it, he is asking you to do this. The answers are explaining, what is going to happen and you can leave the scene in every answer. This "Us" scene was in my opinion very well and carefully done by the Larian Team responsible for that scene, so *thumbs up*

"I would, thank God, watch the universe perish without shedding a tear."
fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
@ Fylimar: You're very much predictable, that's all. I will not discuss with you, what different people find triggering or not. I made my statement, what the official content warning is. If you think the Harleep scene is non-consensual and

(sensitive topic)
a depiction of rape or other sexual violent acts

which needs a content warning, you are free to let it peer reviewed. I kindly ask you, also for the sake of a good together in the community, not to disparage the patch 6 scene here, which caused to a lot of PTSD and depressions. It is inappropiate to compare it to scenes like the Abdirak scene. Please have a little more respect toward other players. Thanks

I don't know, what I did here, but I'm not letting a personal attack like this stand. I have said, that I accept it, when people have different triggers, that was by no means an attack against you or that scene. I brought up, what I read, people found triggering and that is it, to show the range of stuff that can cause people to feel unsafe. The topic came up in that other discussion thread and it was imo a very fruitful and peaceful discussion and I said to make it it's own topic to not clutter the other thread, so I really don't get, why you are so riled up, that I brought it up in mentioning for context.

And you should really learn to respect other opinions too, if you want to receive respect. Reported and blocked.
I hope the rest of this discussion is more peaceful.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Let me please clarify, do you imply here that fylimar disparaged the patch 6 scene? If not, maybe it would be better to target your request towards the forum community as a whole. It is kinda impolite to single out people like this, and does not vibe with the whole respect thing you are going for.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, I kindly asked everyone (not a specific person) to be more careful about this sensitive topic about triggers, as comparing it with other scenes like "Abdirak" is inappropiate, harmful and looks belittling other experiences and people, who got harmed by the unexpected scene of patch 6. This can evoke depressive episodes and flashbacks to those, reading here. I didn't mean to attack, but to ask, not to do this.

I agree with GrayGhost, trigger or triggerwarnings are not just about "feeling uncomfortable" or "discomfort" or "offended by" but mainly about ptsd to avoid them reliving a past trauma or people falling back into a mental illness, that's why there are experts for that.

EDIT: For all those who want to delve a little deeper into this topic, *why* some statements like the juxtaposition of "Patch 6" (which was called here as the "face animation") and scenes like the prepared and consensual Abdirak or the "possibility" of being able to kill goblin children, or an inflationary use of the term "trigger", are counterproductive, I have a short, general explanation here from a qualified psychologist who is the head of a center for trauma management, which has an interdisciplinary structure with psychologists, psychotherapists, doctors of psychiatry and psychotherapy and qualified social educators with many years of experience.

What are triggers?

(sensitive topic about Trigger)

In relation to human feelings, it is actually used in psychology for things that can trigger memories of traumatic experiences.
Triggers are so-called cues. They can cause people with unprocessed trauma to be flooded with the feelings that were stored in the traumatic situation. For example, when an assault victim or a victim of sexual violence walks across the street and suddenly, unexpectedly sees a person who looks similar to the perpetrator or sees a depiction of an assault or sexual assault in images and videos that is similar to the one they experienced.

Unfortunately, the term trigger is often used in an inflationary manner and, above all, no longer in the sense that victims can be protected from triggers. The disdain for individual terms does not serve to process traumatic events, but rather leads to a reactivation of the traumatic experience.

About the question, if trigger warnings are helpful:
If used seriously, such notices can protect those affected. Because as a person affected I am not suddenly confronted with information or a depiction, but can choose for myself whether I want to do this to myself or not. A warning should specifically protect against really serious depictions. Such a warning can be useful and protective, especially if something unexpected happens in an image or video that you were not prepared for beforehand.

Originally Posted by GrayGhost
So the opinion of the average player who knows they don't need one should probably be weighted a touch lighter. Trigger warnings aren't just about being uncomfortable, they're specifically about ptsd and I don't feel like the general public should be the dominant voice in discussion with regard to that.

Originally Posted by KiraMira
You know, I agree with you a lot. It makes me uneasy as well. I guess the reason is that trigger warnings are often misunderstood. They are there to prevent PTSD of common triggers, often DV, V and SV. It is not about censoring, it is about preventing other players getting hurt. And remember again PTSD is not the same as being uncomfortable. It is anxiety attacks, again and again, for weeks, not sleeping, going back over and over to a violent nightmare a person has experienced in real life. It takes time and even theraphy and medicine to get out of. An elaborate, unexpected scene showing real life SV or DV should have warnings. In any game.

For the record I am a horror game fan, I'm looking forward to playing all the scary games this fall. So it's not about just being sensitive. I do avoid games with extensive and graphic SV, like for instance Outlast. And I think Outlast could have described their warnings a bit more than they have done on Steam. Some games do that, and it is appriciated.

Hope it is not too off-topic.. I'm talking in a very general sense here! galehappy

Well said, couldn't have said it better.

enthusiast
enthusiast
@neprostoman I didn't read Zayir's reply as an attack at all. I know it is a sensitive topic that is easy to misunderstand and from misunderstanding comes hate. Please, lets stop.

Last edited by KiraMira; 19/08/24 10:03 AM.
fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by neprostoman
Let me please clarify, do you imply here that fylimar disparaged the patch 6 scene? If not, maybe it would be better to target your request towards the forum community as a whole. It is kinda impolite to single out people like this, and does not vibe with the whole respect thing you are going for.
Thank you smile , but I just put that user on ignore. I was just listing up what scenes people found triggering in the past, to show, how hard it is to pin scenes down, that can be triggering for different reasons.

I hope we can continue to discuss it with respecting different opinions and views. It worked pretty well so far.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Let's be realistic, nothing is necessary in the game unless the law says otherwise. Since most games try to sell worldwide, they should respect both country specific and international law. We have our right to express opinion on certain matters, but we can't expect the company to follow through. I guess, consumer holds some power over the developer, especially nowadays when the company can be 'cancelled' for unintentionally mistreating some group's trauma. A disclaimer should work well to cover for those risks, I only see it as a net positive. However, I won't like my game pausing here and there to ask me if I am okay with something or not. This is poor QOL. All this stuff should be known in advance as a separate warning or should be clear based on maturity rating.

veteran
veteran
@neprostoman I didn't read Zayir's reply as an attack at all. I know it is a sensitive topic that is easy to misunderstand and from misunderstanding comes hate. Please, lets stop.

I also didn't read it as an attack, it was just worded with a certain level ambiguity and I wanted to divert the conversation in a way that would be more constructive.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I also didn't read it as an attack, it was just worded with a certain level ambiguity and I wanted to divert the conversation in a way that would be more constructive.

Thank you. If Fylimar misunderstood my approach, which I actually wanted to give in a good intention, I am deeply sorry. This is a sensitive topic and we shouldn't discuss patch 6 without being affected by it ourselves and put it in a row with abdirak (which is a very consensual and prepared scene), because that patch affected a lot of people who are reading here. They will feel hurt and belittled by this, and it can reevoke depressive episodes and flashbacks, even if it was not the intention. Also putting Abdirak and patch 6 in a row, could also be seen as disrespectful and offensive toward people from the BDSM community, as I felt, when a consensual, prepared and safe scene (Abdirak) and the (non-consent) unexpected scene of patch 6 (depiction of DV, SV/SA, sadistic personality disorder or SSD) are lumped together. That's why I kindly asked not to do this.

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Let's be realistic, nothing is necessary in the game unless the law says otherwise. Since most games try to sell worldwide, they should respect both country specific and international law. We have our right to express opinion on certain matters, but we can't expect the company to follow through. I guess, consumer holds some power over the developer, especially nowadays when the company can be 'cancelled' for unintentionally mistreating some group's trauma. A disclaimer should work well to cover for those risks, I only see it as a net positive. However, I won't like my game pausing here and there to ask me if I am okay with something or not. This is poor QOL. All this stuff should be known in advance as a separate warning or should be clear based on maturity rating.

I agree with this. Back during EA there was a warning on Steam, before you could buy the game, which I thought was enough. I don't know, if it was still there with full release, but I would think so.
A disclaimer should work well with covering everything. I know that people with specific phobias often ask in the community ( most common for fantasy games are spiders) and in my experience receive detailed description of the scenes, where the fears objects/ things do occur, so that they can decide, if they can put up with it or not. For the more heavy stuff, I think the rating and a disclaimer ( which Larian has, I think?) would be enough.

Doctor Who
fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Thank you. If Fylimar misunderstood my approach, which I actually wanted to give in a good intention, I am deeply sorry. This is a sensitive topic and we shouldn't discuss patch 6 without being affected by it ourselves and put it in a row with abdirak (which is a very consensual scene), because that patch affected a lot of people who are reading here. They will feel hurt and belittled by this, even if it was not the intention. Also putting Abdirak and patch 6 in a row, could also be seen as disrespectful toward the BDSM community, when a consensual and safe scene (Abdirak) and the (non-consent) of patch 6 (SV, sadistic personality disorder) are lumped together. That's why I kindly asked not to do this.
Ok, from the answers here, I opened your messages again and want to say thank you for the apology.
I actually agree with you about Abdirak, I love the character and think he is totally about consent. His writer confirmed it actually . He even treats an Ilmateri with respect ( they and Loviatans hate each other as much as Sharrans and Delunites). He is one of the better representations of BDSM in modern media for sure. I was just listing up stuff, that came to mind and in the very beginning, back in 2020, when I joined early access, there were discussions, because people feared, he would attack them, if they say no and thus outright killed the poor guy. So I don't agree with Abdirak being problematic, I just wanted to include it for the sake of trying to get all topics covered ( minus the racist, sexist and homophobic ones of course). I did forgot the whole Halsin debate, but we don't need to warm anything up again.

So I hope we can act normally again, I didn't want to disrespect you and am sorry, if you understood it that way.

Doctor Who
old hand
old hand
Well it looks like there's a hole history of something that triggered (pun intended) this thread. But now I'm curious. Are there exsisting games that display intra-game warnings, like suggested ? If they exist, are they more or less violent than BG3 ? ( I'm not a pro-gamer, but I have the impression that there are games outthere that are lots more violent.) Do the players of these games also require these warnings on fora ? Or is this just a campaign targeted at BG3 ?

fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by ldo58
Well it looks like there's a hole history of something that triggered (pun intended) this thread. But now I'm curious. Are there exsisting games that display intra-game warnings, like suggested ? If they exist, are they more or less violent than BG3 ? ( I'm not a pro-gamer, but I have the impression that there are games outthere that are lots more violent.) Do the players of these games also require these warnings on fora ? Or is this just a campaign targeted at BG3 ?

I don't know exactly, what you mean. I certainly don't target BG3, since it is one of my favourite games of all time. The discussion came up in another thread and I was curious. But seeing, that it is a hot topic, I do regret it a bit.
I think most mature games have a content warning. I don't think, that there are trigger warnings in games, that would be pretty much destroying all immersion.

Doctor Who
old hand
old hand

I don't know exactly, what you mean. I certainly don't target BG3, since it is one of my favourite games of all time. The discussion came up in another thread and I was curious. But seeing, that it is a hot topic, I do regret it a bit.
I think most mature games have a content warning. I don't think, that there are trigger warnings in games, that would be pretty much destroying all immersion.

Ok, from the title of the thread and the first posts, it seemed to me that the question was whether it is necessary to add warnings inside of the game to steer players away from choices that might make them uncomfortable afterwards.

I skipped over most of the later back-and-forth posts (full of abbreviations that I don't have a clue what they mean anyway), but understood it's not just about feeling uncomfortable, but serious anxiety and mental problems. So that made me think, is there something special in BG3 that would require this ? Or are there other games outthere that have this feature and how does it work ?

Don't feel compelled to anwser. I 'm just trying to clarify what I meant in the previous post.

Last edited by ldo58; 19/08/24 11:54 AM.
fylimar Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Ok, from the title of the thread and the first posts, it seemed to me that the question was whether it is necessary to add warnings inside of the game to steer players away from choices that might make them uncomfortable afterwards.

I skipped over most of the later back-and-forth posts (full of abbreviations that I don't have a clue what they mean anyway), but understood it's not just about feeling uncomfortable, but serious anxiety and mental problems. So that made me think, is there something special in BG3 that would require this ? Or are there other games outthere that have this feature and how does it work ?

BG 3 has motives of ( I put that in spoiler because of forum regulations)
sexual assault.
It can be triggering if you have experienced it. I was asking if it would be helpful to put a trigger warning about that somewhere and there was a discussion, if that is necessary or not. Or if it would lead to have more trigger warnings. I think that the game made it clear, that there will be heavy topics from the rating, the trailers and even the infamous bear sex scene.
I personally am not easily triggered, since I do like horror too and weird stuff like The Boys ( which is one big trigger warning tbh), but there were a lot of discussions in the past, where people expressed discomfort, so I thought, I make a topic to talk about it. I used the Haarlep encounter as an example.

Edit: sorry didn't want to put everything in spoiler

Last edited by fylimar; 19/08/24 12:02 PM.

Doctor Who
T
addict
Online Content
addict
T
Are there exsisting games that display intra-game warnings, like suggested ? If they exist, are they more or less violent than BG3 ? ( I'm not a pro-gamer, but I have the impression that there are games outthere that are lots more violent.) Do the players of these games also require these warnings on fora ? Or is this just a campaign targeted at BG3 ?

There are vastly more violent games than BG3. Ones that are in fact, so violent, they get AO (Adult Only) ratings and/or banned in certain countries (Manhunt got banned in the UK, Callisto Protocol got banned in Japan)

Though, there's a difference between "Violence" and specific topics that can be problematic (Things like sexual assault can affect victims of such things and bring back memories of a traumatic event)

However, as I mentioned previously in this thread, other video games and forms of media don't put warnings for similar sensitive topics.

Whether or not the industry (Or the ESRB and other media rating outlets) should is another matter entirely.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Ok, from the answers here, I opened your messages again and want to say thank you for the apology.
I actually agree with you about Abdirak, I love the character and think he is totally about consent. His writer confirmed it actually . He even treats an Ilmateri with respect ( they and Loviatans hate each other as much as Sharrans and Delunites). He is one of the better representations of BDSM in modern media for sure. I was just listing up stuff, that came to mind and in the very beginning, back in 2020, when I joined early access, there were discussions, because people feared, he would attack them, if they say no and thus outright killed the poor guy. So I don't agree with Abdirak being problematic, I just wanted to include it for the sake of trying to get all topics covered ( minus the racist, sexist and homophobic ones of course). I did forgot the whole Halsin debate, but we don't need to warm anything up again.

So I hope we can act normally again, I didn't want to disrespect you and am sorry, if you understood it that way.

Thank you for your word and your apologize - accepted. We need to make this Forum to a better place and be careful, especially on such sensitive topic, alltogether. smile

A
old hand
old hand
A
I mean it's not just violence (sexual or otherwise) that is sensitive content, topics like depression or suicidal thoughts frequently feature in content warnings of other media and for good reason. I mention this, just because this conversation seems to be very heavily focused on one type of content while forgetting about topics that are maybe not as visually dominant in nature but can affect the player just as hard.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard