Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Volunteer Moderator
OP Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
I'm lucky enough to be part of the patch 7 closed beta. New evil ending animations have been announced as part of that, but I was hoping against hope that there may also have been some tweaks to endings for good characters who aren't willing to kill Orpheus without trying to reason with him or let someone else (eg Orpheus, Karlach, Gale) sacrifice themselves when they can prevent it.

We've had threads critiquing the way that the plotting plays out with Orpheus and The Emperor and while I agree there are holes I'm not trying to reopen that debate here. And I'm sure there aren't going to be any significant changes at this stage.

But I do think that some relatively minor changes could make the end of the game feel just a bit less unremittingly bleak for a good, selfless character who has tried their best to help people. I know virtue is supposed to be its own reward and all, and I don't need a happy ending, but would appreciate at least a tiny glimmer of light or hope!

For me, the smallest possible change that would at least make me feel a little less like weeping at the end of my favourite characters' stories would be simply changing the ending animation with WIthers when a character chooses to ...

... kill themselves rather than live as an illithid so that we see them with their original appearance (ie their spirit form is no longer a mindflayer). Withers' spiel about there still being a story for the character after death could be hopeful, but in context it just feels like more punishment as after committing suicide rather than continuing as a mindflayer it now seems as though the character needs to suffer an eternity as a ghost illithid.

The next step, for a bit more work but still hopefully not much, would be if Withers could enable such a character to attend the epilogue party in spirit form. And, separately, if Withers would temporarily break a self-imprisoned mindflayer out to attend the party. That way we could at least get the satisfaction of seeing what our sacrifice has achieved for those companions whose lives we've saved.

What about you folks? Do you agree the good ending is grim, and do you agree small tweaks like the above could help at least slightly, or do you have any other feasible (ie minor) tweaks that could improve it? Or have you managed to find happier endings for your good characters? And if so please tell me your secret!!!

Good ending attitude poll
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 22/08/24 11:20 AM

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
I voted for 1: The good ending is miserable and could be improved with small twaeks

For me that would be:

- having Omeluum there, if he lives
- having the Emperor and Orpheus work together and have them come to blows afterwards.
- For Karlach: have her ending solved (either joing her or have Wyll join her, if he stays the Blade), before you decide what you do with your potential love interest, for example going with Lae'zel fighting Vlaakith, so that she doesn't automatically die.
- Spawn Astarion I think gets a betetr reaction already

Or let Gortash live and he is the one, that becomes a mindflayer, but I think, getting Jason Isaacs for more lines would be hard. SO I wouldn't call it a tweak.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Volunteer Moderator
OP Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
I agree that Karlach's resolution one way or another should be earlier in the dock scene, fylimar. Good call!

I created this thread after reloading the ending of my first playthrough to see if anything obvious had changed, and the ordering went:

- Lae'zel (whom I'd earlier failed to convince to abandon Vlaakith) tried to kill Orpheus and my character stabbed her to stop her.
- My Tav killed herself rather than live as a mindflayer.
- Then Karlach went up in flames.

I'll admit I almost appreciated the OTT Shakespearan-tragedy impact of it all, but it would have been good to have the potential to persuade Karlach to fight on. Or at least not to have my Tav's grand sacrifice upstaged by Karlach's so much cooler death scene coming straight after!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
I voted 4, I wouldn't call the endings where Karlach transforms miserable, for example. If you know you know, what Karlach says about her experience as a mind flayer. All positive. And we all know what the Emperor thinks... I also think that leaving someone as scheming and megalomaniac as Emperor to live and even be perceived as a hero - is a great way to wrap up this story, but not THE story. Having a calculating megalomaniac walk free is a fantastic source material for the next villain and a solid cliffhanger for the next chapter, even if its the one we'll never see.

I guess a noble sacrifice type of ending could use some love, but tbh I never had it so can't pass a reasonable judgement.

Last edited by neprostoman; 22/08/24 12:00 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I agree that Karlach's resolution one way or another should be earlier in the dock scene, fylimar. Good call!

I created this thread after reloading the ending of my first playthrough to see if anything obvious had changed, and the ordering went:

- Lae'zel (whom I'd earlier failed to convince to abandon Vlaakith) tried to kill Orpheus and my character stabbed her to stop her.
- My Tav killed herself rather than live as a mindflayer.
- Then Karlach went up in flames.

I'll admit I almost appreciated the OTT Shakespearan-tragedy impact of it all, but it would have been good to have the potential to persuade Karlach to fight on. Or at least not to have my Tav's grand sacrifice upstaged by Karlach's so much cooler death scene coming straight after!

I mean, I agree that your ending sounds kind of shakespearean and I don't need always a happy end. But it is unfortunate,
that Lae'zel comes before Karlach and if you romance her, you have to persuade her to stay in order to save Karlach. It is very specific tbh. I mean, Astarion at least never dies. He will be there in the end, even if he runs away alone. No such luck for poor Karlach.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Yeah.... ending itself is not nearly the biggest problem I had during my playthrough (looking at Orpheus and EMperor that we shall not delve any deeper here). I am also not opposed to having to make a hard choice at the end, but it does feel hollow due to clunky nature of the characters we are not to discuss here.

In my playthrough Karlach took the tenticle fall, and while I don't think it worked amazingly due to clunky set up, it also seemed like a decent ending to her as a character. Larian made a decision to completely screw over one character that isn't a piece of shit, and that's a narrative choice. To me the grimness of the ending can't be change through subtle tweaks, but it is a logical end point of a rather grim outlook that BG3 has as a game.

I am not sure how I will feel an another playthrough when I will have to sacrifice someone else that Karlach, but I also think that other characters necessarily deserve a happy ending (maybe aside of Laez, who seems to be more a product of her enviroment with a capacity of change).

old hand
old hand
I voted for the second option. All companions should be able to survive unharmed, including Orpheus.
(It's cruel to turn into a MF after years of captivity. But otherwise, it's quite something to live as a cube for centuries and then have a body again at all). At least with the former, I don't know if Larian had the foresight to think of a proper sequel in which all the companions return and there's also a reunion with the freed Orpheus... Yes, I know that's off the table now with the sequel anyway, but it should still be taken into account. You should set the course far enough in advance that you still have the possibility for future recurring characters... Especially without having to come up with a completely crazy story as to why a dead or changed character should return completely unscathed (if it came to that)...

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 22/08/24 01:40 PM.
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
I voted 2nd even though it's not exactly what I think but the closest to how I feel about the ending.

I'm okay with the sadder tone or what transpires in it (Karlach dying, Astarion burning etc) but the way it's executed is so damn rushed there's barely any gravity given to breathe those moments in.
It'd need not only a rewrite but a complete structural change and way the animatics are executed. I actually think Gale exploding himself feels better than him not doing so because there's just more time spent with the ending as a result of getting a proper scene of him grappling with it, lol (also improves the pacing as well since the final battle is a massive drag)

I do think that, had it been executed better, even without any changes in what happens in it people would feel it's less miserable as well because it'd be more satisfying to sit through. This ending is a wet fart and I just remember finishing the game the first time (patch 1) and thinking "Wait... huh? that's it?". I don't even think the epilogue fixes that. Overall I consider all tweaks that have been made to the ending very band-aid-y in nature when in order to work it'd need a complete rehaul.

A
old hand
old hand
A
I went with option four. As long as I don't play Lae'zel, I am pretty alright with sacrificing Orpheus even though he deserves better. It scared me a little how easily Lae'zel redirected her devotion from Vlaakith to Orpheus, as soon as she heard that he was the "true heir". So I was relieved to have a hopeful ending that left the githyanki without a god-prince deciding their future. In a story that is focused in finding strength in yourself and your friends instead of looking to otherworldly or divine powers for help, it seems a fitting conclusion.

My main issue with the dock scene is its pacing. It seems to me that they wanted Karlach's explosion to be the emotional heart of the scene and everyone else is just a point on a checklist to get there. Which seems unfair to both the other tragic events that can occur on the dock, as well as the other stories that do not get resolved until the very end. All of them would have deserved to be handled with some sincerity, instead all emotion and introspection is saved for Karlach's scene, when the feels are amped up to maximum melodrama. I found that simply never recruiting Karlach solves many of my issues with the ending - though I understand that isn't a solution for everyone. ^^;

As for my satisfying, non-miserable ending: I am pretty happy with how the dock scene plays out for Spawn-Astarion-Avatar. When playing as him, the scene during which he burns up is narrated more atmospherically, the companion comments are neither over-the-top nor uncaring (apart from Minthy who gleefully roasts you) and you get a little hopeful moment in the sewers - though I could have done without the bound up victim guy. I don't think it's a miserable ending at all and I am quite happy with it.

Last edited by Anska; 22/08/24 07:09 PM.
S
old hand
old hand
S
This is difficult to answer since I feel like some good ending options are very o.k., while a few among them may be unsatisfying.

A must add: while the game builds Orpheus up as a good guy, some people feel releasing him is as dangerous as a Netherbrain on the lose. I would like some closure from Larian on that worry -- is this a releasing thousands of spawn scenario, where it somehow ends up well-ish, or a hidden disaster? Does not need an in-game explanation, I would just like some sort of official answer. Put that debate to rest. I understand the loss of rights to many things might make this difficult.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
I feel as though we don't get enough time to really develop a strong connection with Orpheus, so choosing to sacrifice him doesn't hit as hard as it maybe should. Though his story and importance to the Gith is actually very compelling, he is still the new character that we just freed who is now selflessly offering to make the sacrifice. The first time I played when nothing of the story was spoiled to me I was very conflicted whether this was going to mean the rebellion against Vlakith would be over before it even began. But now that I know that the outcome for Lae'zel and the Gith remains a hopeful one, I am not very conflicted about it.

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
I think that's also a big flaw with the ending, if the interviews where Swen said the choice has to feel like a sacrifice is anything to go by. It doesn't feel like much of a sacrifice, considering most players will get the chance to either trust the Emperor with it or have Orpheus deal with it. If the task obligatorily fell to you or any of your (willing?) party members it'd feel different, or if you had any reason to give a lot of gravity to Orpheus being transformed, such as playing as a rebel Gith Tav.

veteran
veteran
Tbh, I don't care much for either the Emperor or Orpheus. The first one is manipulating us and is only showing his true face, when we reject him. The second one has not really a chance to win us over. I free him for Lae'zel, but I'm not going to become a mindflayer for him. Tbh, at least Lae'zel should step in and volunteer, if Orpheus says, he changes - that would be another small thing to change, give us more volunteers depending on how companion stories do go. It would make sense for Lae'zel, trying to save Orpheus.

Doctor Who
I think the complete rewrite that it got before full release both made it "less miserable" and gave it the plotting problems we've had discussions about. If the direction we saw in Early Access was kept it probably would have been a lot harsher, but it also probably made a lot more sense. So thinking of it like that, I'd prefer they lean back into what it was originally supposed to be. So I guess I technically vote for complete rewrite but it's more like wanting to undo the complete rewrite.

That's super impractical though so there's a different minor tweak they could make.
The good ending does have a very narrow path to get through it without anyone going Illithid, but it involves Gale's bomb and the epilogue he gets for that comes off needlessly depressing. It's fine for the most part, but the message makes it sound like his soul is just gone. Mystra didn't take it to Elysium, Withers didn't intervene, just nothing. If he's the origin you see Withers intervene, with the implication that he's trying to get to Gale's soul before Mystra does. Withers even explicitly alludes to how heavily his sacrifice weighs on the party. So why doesn't he chime in during the epilogue for any other origin? Even Lae'zel when eaten by Vlaakith gets thrown a bone with Withers talking more specifically about why she can't say hi. It's a weird discrepancy.

Anyway the tweak here would be to just have Withers chime in while you and Tara are reminiscing with a "hey yeah, his soul's fine. I'll let Mystra take him to Elysium in a bit" or something.

addict
addict
I voted that the ending is in need of a complete rewrite.

If the next Larian is a game worth having I really hope they finally resolve to release a polished Act 3.

veteran
veteran
I liked the ending I got, although I can see why you didn’t like your ending, Red Queen!

Lae'zel’s ending was my favorite!

She flew off on a dragon to save her people from Vlaakith. That was pretty great!

Gale was cured and became a professor, which I think suits him!

Wyll was off fighting demons and seemed happy.

All pretty good except for Orpheus, who got turned into a mindflayer and then killed. But with Lae'zel then taking the lead, it worked well with her story.

addict
addict
I really enjoyed my ending that I got on my first playthrough! True, I reached the ending already with patch 5, when the party was added to the ending, so the experience was great. The final scene at the docks just filled with a feeling of joy, elation, real victory. After the party there was a desire to go back to the game, which is very rare for me, usually, if I go through some particularly interesting games more than once, I always take a break for another game to forget a little bit of the story and avoid the feeling of repeating the same thing. But not in the case of BG3! Though I can see why, with certain choices or having a special affection for certain companions, a good ending can feel like a tragic ending to the player. In my case, all the companions were fine, only Karlach became an illithid. But I agree with neprostoman, she ends up being very positive about her experience as a mind flayer, even saying she wouldn't have chosen a different fate. Everyone else was happy and shared their stories with me at the party:

The Ascended Astarion at the docks cheerfully offered to celebrate the victory at the tavern, then a romantic epilogue, an adorable bat at the party, the Lord's lovely costume, all in all a sunny finale to “Aeterna Amantes”. <3

Shadowheart has chosen Selune, is traveling the world, received owlbear as a gift. Seems peaceful and happy to see everyone.

Lae'zel went with Prince Orpheus to liberate her people. She couldn't come to the party because she was busy (of course, she seemed to be the chief diplomat of the githyanki now, and was holding important negotiations), so we talked through the projection. She looked solid and competent.

Gale got rid of his problem, became a professor, came with Tara and talked about negligent students.

Will has chosen the path of blade of avernus, is hunting for Mizora, and is eager to talk about his exploits (only one of the three, though, and I have to restart to hear about all of them, which is weird, I mean, it's not like we're going anywhere in a hurry).

Halsin opened an orphanage for children, which he was happy to talk about, and donated a wooden duck.

Jaheira made me glad that she's leaving Baldur, probably to seek adventure (and that's great, there will be less annoying neighbors in town).

Minsc brought some poor halfling, whom he had been mocking before, and, as usual, was talking some nonsense in his own style. The halfling sort of slowly recovered from the stress, and started drinking and snacking at the common table.

Unfortunately, in the first playthrough I missed Minthara, because I played without spoilers until Act 3, at the first encounter I took her for a regular boss, and I didn't pay enough attention to the fact that camp clothes are not looted from regular bosses. But she made the next playthrough more interesting for me, because a new companion, whom I was not familiar with before, will diversify the game quite well.

I don't perceive my ending as miserable at any point, but if Larian improves something about it at the request of other players, why not? Maybe I too would take advantage of that improvement in another playthrough. The story itself requires someone to become an Illithid anyway (well, or an alliance with the Emperor who already is), this can hardly be changed in any way. The Gortash-illithid option is an interesting one, but it looks too time-consuming to implement when the Larian are already finalizing game development. Plus, the alliance with Gortash that would be required to do this removes the player's ability to save Will's father, and would still result in one of the companions being upset (if you view this method as the key to making everything perfect for all companions).

I voted for option 4 because I'm happy with everything, but I'll never be against any change for the better. Option 5 is so fun that it's impossible to resist from voting for something, just for the sake of looking at the stats and seeing how many players chose that option. smile

One life, one love - until the world falls down.
B
old hand
old hand
B
I found the good ending to be quite good -
I was terrified that Gale would NOT be dead, that his sacrifice became cheapened, but Gale was still dead after kamikaze attack on Elder Brain (win-win), Lae-zel fucked off to genocide the other Gityanki (win-win), I got to chop off Orpheous' head.

The other Origins were kicking up daisies.
I found the after party meh and needless.

Last edited by Buba68; 23/08/24 01:53 PM.
T
T
So, I haven't played the ending that you were talking about in the first post. In my game
I reluctantly allowed The Emperor to absorb Orpheus, and had him deal with the Elder Brain. Lae'zel hated me for it, but by the after party she had her new mission to take down Vlaakith, and told my character how much she respected her.

There's no obligation to have a fully happy ending, and I'd expect to have to make compromises. I haven't seen an ending that felt "unremittingly bleak" so I don't know how much my opinion relates to what you've seen. Maybe one for a future playthrough.

Volunteer Moderator
OP Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
Definitely what counts as miserable is subjective, and it’s really interesting to read other perspectives. I’ll admit that the Karlach option could feasibly be taken by a good character …

when it seems the alternative is her death. Though as she’s one to put a positive spin on things and wouldn’t want anyone to feel bad about her sacrifice I think I’d probably take her assurances she was okay with a pinch of salt. For me, whether to take her up on the offer with a good character would very much depend on how it’s presented, and I’ve not seen that as in the two playthroughs I’ve made it that far with she’s not been in the party at the relevant time.

I mentioned what happened in my first completed playthrough above. In my second …

- My character failed the saving throw to resist consuming the astral touched tadpole, so ended up a half-illithid against her will.
- She also chose to become illithid rather than letting Orpheus do it, as she believed he had an important role to play for the githyanki.
- She was a risk taker and endlessly curious so chose to live after defeating the netherbrain but didn’t trust herself around others enough to go with Karlach to Avernus, but at least she could persuade Karlach to go with Wyll, and Lae’zel also lived and flew off with Orpheus.
- But she *hated* becoming a mindflayer so everything after unwillingly becoming half-illithid (ie act 3) felt overcast with a sense of melancholy, which only got worse after her full transformation.
- And then at the epilogue party while chatting with Halsin, with whom she’d had a fling, she failed another saving throw and attacked him then got booted unceremoniously out of the celebration by Withers (it didn’t help that this version of the epilogue was really buggy).

wyllcry

The small tweak that would have helped me not feel quite as sad during act 3 and the ending for that playthrough would have been if my character could have appeared as her original self. It surely isn’t too much of a stretch to have an illithid power to project an image of how one wants to appear. My character approximated this by using the Disguise Self spell to appear as the halfling she started off as, but it’s not the same as having the appearance I’d carefully selected. And I know that’s shallow and cosmetic, but it would mean I wasn’t constantly reminded of the fate of my character, and I’m not ashamed to admit that a bit of denial would go a long way in helping me cope better with the ending biggrin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard